Old 12-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #1  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Default Those Last 10 Pounds!

I originally posted this in a thread to Stargazer, but didn't want it to get buried; this is based not only on what I need to do, but a lot of these suggestions are discussed on other weight loss programs, websites, etc. Hope it helps someone...

Quote:
Stargazer - well, I, too, will be anxious to shed those last 10 lbs (going to try really hard after Jan 1). Here's some stuff I've come across and think it's going to help me;

Exercise is key: The Biggest Loser taught me a lot about my exercise routine - I do too much of the same thing and need to incorporate variety...big time. In order to loose the last 10 lbs, I need to do at least 60 minutes total per day of exercise and vigorous activity. My cardio has to be faster; this will burn more calories and boost my metabolic rate (increase metabolism). I have to change up my exercise routine every couple of weeks. Yeah, I love the Thursday Body Works (weights) class, but I need to try the step class or the other person's class and just change things up. I'm also going to aim for one yoga class a week, because I stress a lot and stress probably prevents me from losing (I know it keeps me from sleeping).

I need to eat my heavier meals early in the day and try, try, try not to eat after 7 PM (a few hours before bedtime).

Make sure I get all my water in (half my weight in ounces....so right now that means 9.75 cups of water per day).

Limit alcohol to one drink per week (I may as well just give it up!)

Try and eat whole foods vs frozen, fast-food, etc. I recently gave up the LA Lites due to the bad stuff in them (I loved my peanut butter bar, so this was not easy to do!). Some folks suggest upping metabolism-boosting foods: peppers, green tea, and grapefruit; another tip I read said give yourself a "cheat" day once a week or once every 10 days. Not an absolute food blow out, but up your food intake; give your body some mixed signals.

Continue to active and accountable to an online support group such as 3FC.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #2  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Joni......it is so good to see you so motivated right now. You are soooo close to your goal!!! Keep it up, and keep giving us all of this wonderful information. I am truly going to try to incorporate exercise into my plan soon. My parents are getting a treadmill for Christmas.........and we will be there from Chirstmas through New Years. Maybe I will jump on theirs, and start on Christmas day!!! You have really gotten a lot of us motivated, and working hard at such a difficult time of the year for dieters. WTG!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #3  
Candice on LAWL

S/C/G: 242/221/under 200!

Height: 5'6"

Can you tell me more about this 'cheat day' ?

I am not on my last 10 pounds but am 1/2 way to my goal and an losing less weight now. And my councler suggested switching up my starches.. I did that I am eating ryvias, melba toast and wasa or something like that .. Love those melba crackers with eggs!
She said if changing the starches does not help then she wants me to do the carb cravers.. I have never done any of those, or even looked at them.
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #4  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Joni - all of those ideas sound great. I remember when I first joined LAWL, they were touting "weekends off!" which they were phasing out so I was never told what it was - I am assuming it was your "cheat day" theory.

I hope that it works for you!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #5  
Losing the Weight!

Joni, Thanks. I responding in the other thread, but I think a lot of these suggestions will help.

I had a WI today and I'm officially down 51 pounds now! That's a start! Hopefully this will continue! With the birthday last Wed. I've decided that there are more important things to worry about! So, onward and upward.

StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:02 AM   #6  
Post-Master

Joan.........wow...........51 pounds...........WTG!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #7  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Candace - LAWL does not encourage a "cheat" day. An off day (sounds better than cheat) is a day where you really don't pay attention to the rules of your weight loss program (whether it's WW, LAWL, South Beach, Fit for Life, etc.). You basically eat and drink what you want. and get right back on program the next day! I first read/heard about the "off day" while trying the Body for Life program. The idea is that it helps you be really good the other 6 days of the week since you know you will soon be able to eat/drink whatever it is you are really craving. There is also the theory that changing up your diet sends messages to your brain and in the end, can help with your metabolism. There are more scientific and detailed explanations on this on the web.

Carb Cravers are questionable and don't pay the COD price for them. All they are is kidney bean extract (Pearl, is this right??) and you can get them at Walmart for US$6. I have them and use them on occassion, but I really don't know if they help.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Candice - You can still use the Carb Cravers menus (Joni, I think this is what she meant), but you don't have to buy the LAWL Carb Enders (the kidney bean extract). The Carb Cravers menus are great to use here and there. It's sometimes just a quick thing to do to pick up pizza for dinner, and I can have two pieces with the carb cravers menu. I add a small salad and then I sautee some mushroom, peppers and onions (whatever I have) and put it on top of the pizza since my family only likes cheese. That way my dinner counts as P,V,V.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #9  
Post-Master

I, personally think that is one of the smartest things about LAWL, besides the bars..........and yeah, I know, I don't use the bars.....but I wish I could (kind of), and I think that is one of the smartest things the developers of the program did..........telling clients that you can have something sweet 2 times a day........but anyway, (I always side track MYSELF), CC has saved me from a cheat many times. I usually have pizza about once a week. I get tired of cooking, cooking, cooking..........being a stay at home mom......I feel like that is all I do some days...........so the great pizza escape is truly my friend. Also, don't forget...........you can use CC for lunch and that way you are front loading a lot of your calories in the early part of the day.

I do have to say, when I first started, I heard the then manager of my COD saying something about someone being on weekends off now. My ears perked right up to hear that. I would LOVE that. I think I am going to ask my COD if they still do that.

Speaking of my COD........I go to a corporater center...........and something is going down there. NOONE that I know is there anymore. Brand new manager.....again.....brand new staff. I am so curious to get to know them. I plan on upping my visits to 2 times a week after the new year. I have only been going 1 time a week, and that has been fine.........I have continued to do well, but I think I need to get more for my dollars.......you know.

Ok, have to get DD out the door for school. Hope to find time to play more later. I have to make a lasagna (DD birthday dinner request), frost cupcakes, LAUNDRY LAUNDRY LAUNDRY, and start packing for our holiday extravaganza (going to my mama's for the holidays ).
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #10  
Kim - IP 9/10

Nicole - My center has had a shake up too, new mgr, mostly new counselors. I am not sure what's up, except that there are 3 corporate centers around here and maybe they just play "musical chairs" every now and then and shift around? Or did everyone get canned!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #11  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Cassi - you are so right; I misunderstood what Candace said and was just thinking they told her take the "vitamins" - I forget about the Carb Craver menus in the book all the time; I really need to pay better attention.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Joni - If you've forgotten about the carb cravers, you've been missing a very important friend!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #13  
LAWL Salt Police

No kidding... Saved our butts big time in the past.. 'specially when we have kids who go to friend's birthday parties at places like Chuck E. Cheese.. Yikes...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #14  
Candice on LAWL

S/C/G: 242/221/under 200!

Height: 5'6"

thank you gals! I will have to look more in to those carb cravers.. pizza does sound good :P
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #15  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 222/127/120

WTG Joni! You're almost at goal!! You'll get there.
winkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote