Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #1  

Default 20 year old college girl, new to the forum

Hello!

I'm new here, so I figured an introduction post is in order. Let's see. I'm a 20 year old female who is studying psychology in college. I live with my long time girlfriend and have a job that I absolutely love working at the counseling center on campus.

I'm 340 lbs right now, which is the highest I've ever been. When I was in high school, I lost over 100 lbs and got down to about 140 lbs, but I gained it all back and then much more. I realize now that I lost the weight the wrong way (basically a starvation diet) and so now I'm looking to lose it the right way. I'm hoping if I learn healthier ways to eat, then I can finally keep the weight off for good.

I'm working with a therapist who encourages smaller portions with more fruits and vegetables. I keep a food diary now to track what I'm eating and now I can see what my downfall is. I'm a vegetarian and have been for almost six years, but I eat far too much cheese and sweets. So, I'm working on portion control. Instead of cutting out "bad" foods altogether, I'm trying to incorporate them into a healthy diet. I'm also trying to exercise more, since I have access to a free gym while at college. I should take advantage of it!

Well, that's basically my story and why I'm here. I hope I get to know some of you better on this journey to health.

Take care!
Ronnie
Ronnie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi Ronnie! I'm also a 20-year-old vegetarian college student (with a minor in psych, actually!), and I know how difficult it can be to try to lose weight when you have all the freedom of a college campus. After all, Taco Bell is right next to Subway and is so much cheaper! But it sounds like you're already making huge improvements to your lifestyle and I'm sure you'll be seeing the benefits of your hard work soon.

Have you checked out the different forum groups yet? In addition to corresponding with the 3FC community at large, there are subgroups for 20-somethings, vegetarians, "alterna-chicks," etc. Look around and you will definitely find a place to call home.

Welcome, and good luck!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Hey

My name is Courtnie and I too am 20 (no longer a college student for the moment). I too am working on a healthy diet - more exercise and portion control.

For a food diary check out fitday.com! It is awesome! I am online almost all day and always love to chat!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170.4/155/140

Hi, I am also 20, and will be graduating from UF this May. YAY!! Anyway, I gaines 40 lbs last year and am trying to lose most of it by the end of the summer. I have been working out and dieting, but chocolate an dother sweets are my weekness, and sometimes I can find so many reasons not to go to the gym. I'm sooo lazy. It's ridiculous, so I'm hoping this site will help me stay focussed. (This is my first day) I also just bought protein shakes because I'm trying to do a low carb, high protein, but it tastes ssooo bad. Yuck! But keep up hope, and I wish you all the best.

Jamchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

as for protein shakes - I had some that tasted soooo bad! But I found this Chocolate one by Whey Gourmet and it is okay. I mix it in the blender with some frozen strawberries, bit of a jam and milk... makes it taste much better!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #6  

Thanks for all of your replies! About protein shakes- I agree that they're much better really cold or frozen. I like the chocolate ones blended with ice because it's almost like a milkshake... almost!

Making yourself go to the gym is hard! I'm planning on going tomorrow morning, hoping that I can at least make myself go twice a week. I know you're supposed to go more than that, but I've got to start somewhere!
Ronnie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/240/155

hi everyone, i just joined today. You'll never believe it but i'm a 20 year old college student also! This is the first site i found that actually has 20 year olds in it, thank God........ My name is Bre and today is the first day of the rest of my life. I have decided i'm not living like this anymore. I weigh 240 lbs. and i am miserable everyday and its just not worth it. Food can not control me anymore. You only live once so make it worth your while....know what i mean? Anybody else feel like I do?

Last edited by size8please; 04-10-2006 at 11:20 PM.
size8please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170.4/155/140

Default shakes and inactivity

Thanks for the tip on the shakes, I think I'm gonna have to semi-freeze it and see if i like it better. Courtnie, I checked out that website fitday.com and it is awesome. Thanks!

I too must get off my lazy rare and get active. I have a gym membership, and I figure paying for it, it would make me go, cause i didnt go when all 5 gyms were free from school or when I had a smaller one in my apt complex, but I got a 3 month membership and now there is always an excuse. If it rains at 10:00 a.m., I can't go to the gym at 3:00 p.m. cause it rained. Man, I need some motivation! Has anyone tried any fat burners? I just started taking Xenadrine, I was going for Hrdroxycut, ut Xenadrine was on sale, working so far though.
Jamchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:54 AM   #9  
WW Moderator

Bre, congrats on the second day of the rest of your life! How did yesterday go?

Jamchick - I'd stay away from the fat burners. Most of them just speed up your heart to wacky pulse rates. Exercising and lifting weights can be a huge boost! Do you have an mp3 player, or a tv to make it more fun? Try new equipment and keep it interesting so you'll be more likely to go. I know I found a lot more excuses when I was bored.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

I tried some thermogenics and fat burners/carb blockers whatever when I started… just something I picked up at the drug store and for the first month I dieted I lost no weight at all. So I stopped taking them and I have been losing weight now. In the mornings sometimes I still take the thermogenics only cuz I feel like I might as well use them up but I don’t think they work at all…

As for the motivation to go to the gym… it is a tuff one but one thing that keeps me going is I feel better after I go and I know I will lose weight faster. Now – I had an ipod mini but with my tax return (wooooo free money) – I bought myself an ipod video (I know not something everyone can afford) but that helps cuz I think… well I wanna use my ipod since I bought it so I might as well go work out…. And off I go!

Another thing that helped me is I rented a treadmill – little more pricey then a gym membership but it takes up half my house and sits there (I can see it from the couch) and it goes, NO WATCHING TV UNTIL YOU USE ME.

It works… usually…. lol

Oh and about the protien shakes again... sometimes I add ice to mine but I find it takes away from the flavour (more watery) the frozen strawberries work much nicer. I get a HUGE bag at costco... take up half my freezer but mmm they are good! Oh and the bit of jam makes it a bit sweeter.