Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #1  
Mom of 4

S/C/G: 276/230/175

Height: 5'2"

Default Should I or Should I not

Ok got a question I would like to get a general opinion on. I dont own scales. I have been totally afraid to buy them. I only weigh at my mothers house who lives an hour away and I only visit about every 2 weeks. Do ya think it would help me to have scales or not?
RRVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #2  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I guess that is up to you.... I only weigh myself every 4-5 days. If I do it every day, that will be depressing if you don't loose that day you know?

Plus I am weight training so my thinking is I would rather weigh my old 250 and fit into an 8 again than be 250 and wear my 16/18s again so the scale is not my deciding factor, it is how I feel about myself.
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/165/145

I only weigh once a week when I am trying to lose. However, when I finally reach my goal weight, I plan on weighing every day so that I can correct any gaining before it gets out of control (sneaks up on me). Good luck on your decision.
shushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/147/140

I find weighing helpfull. I don't think you should step on the scale every day though.. it could get discouraging. It works best for me when I weigh in every 7 or so days
Carbprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/177/130, 5'2"

I'm with shushu. I only weigh about once a week, or I get discouraged. I wouldn't spend the money now. Wait 'till you get where you're going, and then get to help maintain.
Good luck, ladies!
BethD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #6  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Default Hi I don't have a choice...

I don't own a scale, mine was left behind for Hurricane Katrina, so I was only able to weigh myself when I was given a membership to the Y.The women's locker room has a doctor's scale, and I use it when no one is around. Sometimes I use it every other day or twice a week, sometimes I will skip a wk, because you have these skinny college girls on it who are obsessed with their bodies.I think it is a personal decision , I will buy one one day, but for now my financial situation is not good. If you are going to be obsessed about your weight, leave the scale behind, if not go get one. It's your decision.
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #7  
Mom of 4

Lightbulb Thanks

Thanks for the reply's. With the more posts I read on here I am now leaning towards buying the scales. I think that I will put them in my bathroom cabinet so that I do not see them everytime I go in there. Maybe just get them out 1 day a week for a weekly weigh in.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #8  
Vegan

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Robbin, I think your idea is brilliant! I have put off buying a scale because I know standing on or just seeing it regularly would be depressing as well as intimidating and discouraging. Putting it away, in a cupboard is genius!

Now I can buy a scale to keep track on a monthly or every two week basis without it hanging over me, visible every time I use the bathroom! Thank you so much.
Calimaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #9  
Mom of 4

I'm glad you thought my idea was usefull, its great to know that I might actually be able to support others and not just receive support from everyone.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #10  
Supah G™

S/C/G: 350/288/140

I just bought scales last weekend and they've been good for me because I've been losing, but I worry about the day when they're going to say that I've gained.
whizaninny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:20 AM   #11  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I have one friend who bought a digital scale, and started taking medifast at the same time, every day she has been weighing herself, and tracking everything. Im all for her weighing and tracking her intake. And am thinking a digital one would be kinda cool.
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:29 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3

i weigh myself every morning, and i look forward to it. if it goes up, i dont get upset. i'm dieting and exercising so there's no way that's added fat. just remember to tell yourself that.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:27 AM   #13  

Height: 5' 7''

Hey - I have scales in my house but realised that they calculate 16 pounds per stone instead of the actual 14. So that meant I was heavier than I thought!!!

Instead of buying scales again I go to a local pharmacy every single Monday that has a weigh machine. This give me a paper readout for like 30 cents. I find it works well for me :-)
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

There was a thread regarding an article on this topic, it surprisingly advocated weighing daily. I can't help it, I have a scale in my bathroom and I *have* to know...it helps me gauge how I'm doing so I stay on target more...just bear in mind fluctuation in body fluid etc. and I only "count" my official weigh in once a week as my actual weight.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67832
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #15  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi, Robbin
You should do what works for you. Some people can own a scale and weigh every day, at different times throughout the day and not let the numbers affect them. I'm not like that. I do own a scale, in fact I own two, a digital and an dial. I try to weigh only once a week which is what works for me. My daughter does not own one and only weighs at my house or occasionally at her job.

If I weigh myself every day, my feelings about losing weight fluctuate according to what I see on the scale. If the numbers don't move or go up I'm more likely to say forget it, I'm not getting anywhere and eat more.

When I told my former Weight Watchers leader how I felt about losing weight so slowly, she asked if I was weighing myself everyday, which I was. She told me to put my scale under my bed and just weigh at the meeting once a week. I did not weigh at home and it worked. I lost weight more steadily.

She also told me of a member who was at a plateau and couldn't seem to get the last few pounds off. The leader told her to bring her scale and let the leader keep it. She did and immediately lost the weight.

Again you have to find out what works for you. There are some people who weigh themselves all the time because if they didn't they would not stick to their plan and gain weight. As long as I know I'm sticking to my eating plan, I'm okay.

Wishing You The Best
Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote