Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #1  

Default mid 40's weight loss - need a friend

Hello Everyone,
I am 47 and 35 pounds overweight, all gained in the last 3 years. I know i eat wrong, i drink too much wine, and don't exercise. I love me but hate my body, but i just dont have any will power. I just keep watching the pounds add on. I need some help, advice and support! I will return same!
I live in sw florida so i have no excuse not to be outside walking at least!!
Thanks,
Kim
tyme4change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Kim,
We're on different coasts, but otherwise in a similar situation. I've been dieting and exercising since January, and have some way to go, and yes, I drink too much wine too!! I try to walk 5 days per week, but soon that may be a challenge as I am heading back to work in April. I had hoped on losing most of my weight before going back to work, but it isn't coming off as quickly as I had hoped (I blame it on age--I'm soon to be 43). I'll do what I can to give you support and advice.
Good luck!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #3  

Allison, thanks, i too will give you support, i know that i eat and drink too much, i was thinking about starting off by not drinking a few nights a week, i am a very responsible and hardworking, but i enjoy my wine a little too much. as for diet i am thinking a low carb and low fat type diet. sweets are not my downfall, wine and the salty crunchy stuff!
Have a great weekend
Kim
Old 03-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Come just us here
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73891
It's pretty common to be in our mid forties and trying to lose some
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #5  

Kim,
I, too, try to limit myself to a weekly or twice weekly glass or two of wine (which is much less than the 2-3 glasses per night!). I also find that when I get rid of a lot of the snacky stuff around the house and buy more diet stuff, that I actually try harder. It helps, too, that my 15 year old daughter has decided that she needs to lose a few pounds. We're trying to inspire each other. She's only been on the diet a week, and yesterday she said she is craving pizza and can't have it. I told her that there is nothing wrong with food in moderation. We're going out to dinner tonight and she'll have pizza, but I told her not to over do it. Have a salad first and limit the pizza to 1 or 2 slices and don't feel guilty. I have to indulge every week or so otherwise I get depressed for not getting to eat the fun stuff.
I also don't eat many sweets. The family can have ice cream nightly and I don't mind at all. I usually have ice cream once every 3 months! I love crackers (so I switched to Triscuits--they are a tad bit better than some). I try to keep low fat all the time, but cutting out the carbs is the hardest for me.
Allison
Old 03-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #6  
Reluctant Adult

May I join your mid-40's party, now-with-limited-wine-consumption? I have all the same issues, need to lose a bunch, could really use some support and encouragement -- happy to lend the same in kind. I'll share more if you are receptive to my joining you.

All the best, Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/208/175

I'd like to join too! stats: 43 in April....weight 213, want to get to 175. (190 or so by summer) Would love to talk to others who are trying to lose through diet and exercise. Best of Luck to ALL of us!!!
molly63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #8  

Old 03-05-2006, 02:51 PM   #9  

Default lets name our group

Everyone is welcome here!!! nothing judgemental, but strong advice and support for all. i know i am battling two issues, food and wine, this time am going to win!! lets name the group? any suggestions, how about "whine and wegh less!" lol
Old 03-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #10  

whinw and weigh less, sorry typing error
Old 03-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #11  

I like it! Let's all give each other the encouragement we need!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #12  
Reluctant Adult

Thanks for the warm and kind welcome, ladies! I like Whine and Weigh Less, too. Or perhaps…. Whine-More, Wine-Less, Weight-Less…? Gah, don’t get me started!!

Me: 49 this Tuesday, married, no children, live on a 35-acre farm in Western Oregon with endless chores that keep me busy mostly owing to our keeping company with 12 chickens, 4 cats, 3 dogs, 3 pygmy goats, 2 llamas and a horse. I work from home and spend a lot of time on the computer because of that. Husband: Fit, works physically hard all the time (a can’t-sit-still type), from New Zealand/Australia, eats bread with his butter, potatoes with his gravy and is a self-described Meatatarian. He hates most vegetables and is soooo appreciative when I prepare the calorie-laden meals he loves! Only one of us can eat them. Unfortunately, two of us do.

To add to this struggle, I love my wine and beer and in the last couple of years have gotten into a bad habit of “ending the work day” when Hubby arrives home by cracking open a cold one as we sit and relax, exchange news about our days and watch the sun go down. Hubby still fits into his jeans. Me, I live in stretch pants now.

My plan of attack is to count calories, give up the alcohol except for an occasional glass of wine, cut portion sizes, be satisfied with 2 chocolate chips instead of 2 candy bars when I have a sweets craving and to move around a lot more. This part, at least, isn’t hard, since we live in our own personal park.

DH has agreed to be supportive by not looking so crestfallen if the meals I prepare are too healthful to suit him and to take more responsibility for feeding himself. This is hard for both of us, since his cooking skills are appalling. It’s excruciating for me to stand by while he tries to figure out how to prepare a box of Hamburger Helper (Strike One), then adds shrimp to the mixture (Strike Two) and burns it because he wanders off to attend to something else while it’s cooking (Strike Three). Still, as they say, obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal. And the goal is for me to lose a lot of weight, which means I won’t be cooking for him as much and I usually do. We’re trying to meet halfway – hard at the moment, because my stomach keeps getting in the way!

I promise to be supportive, honest and non-judgmental. Believe me, I know how hard this is. I’ve done it before but somehow the weight always creeps back on. You all have my cheers, hugs and warm encouragement as you progress on your own journey!

All the best, Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #13  

Molly and Kim,
Rae and I have been giving each other encouragement. Personally, I think she is doing a better job on the diet front, but for some strange reason, I've lost a couple of pounds anyway! Haven't heard from either one of you, but if you want to give/get encouragement let us know!!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:49 AM   #14  
maggzs

S/C/G: 147.4/149.9/132.2

Smile count me in

Hi All,

I live in a all together nother country but your telling my story.... too much red wine to little excersie to little motivation. I am just outside your 40+ age group but I do turn 40 in June. Please count me in.
maggzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #15  
maggzs

S/C/G: 147.4/149.9/132.2

I just thought I would add this is day 1 for me again... I just made my diet scale thingy & wanted to test it out. Hope the days been good to you all. I really missed my glass of red with dinner.
maggzs is offline   Reply With Quote