3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions-8/)
-   -   Hi I'm new...Please read (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions/45031-hi-im-new-please-read.html)

tamaralynn 08-13-2004 01:45 PM

Hi I'm new...Please read

I've been searching forever for a good site that will be supportive for my diet, yet not bash me for being an "idiot" when I want to experiment with things.

I've been overweight most of my life. By the time I was 14 years old I reached 205 lbs. Since then my weight has yo-yo'ed. I am now 24 years old with two children (ages 3 and 6). I had been on depo provera for about 3 years and decided to stop after not being able to lose any of the weight that I had been packing on.

I quit smoking on January 15th, and decided that I would wait approximately 6 months before truly cracking down and dieting. But each time I tried, I would be tempted by something that my family members were eating (pizza, bugers, chips) and I'd fall off the bandwagon.

My fiancee and I finally decided to start a low-fat diet. This is where I'm continuously being chastized for. By low fat I mean cutting out the bad fats and allowing good fats. I eat the "good carbs" whole wheat/grains. I am sticking to healther milk products (skim milk instead of 2%, non-fat cottage cheese, frozen yoghurt instead of ice cream). I have cut down on all bad toxins in my diet (aspartame *diet sodas*, perservatives, chemicals etc) and have started doing daily exercises.

I've never found a site that agreed with my "diet" choices. They believe that I should be cutting carbs right out... eating less proteine... more fats...etc.

I understand that fats are needed to lubricate your body to help it function properly. I never told anyone that I was on a NO-fat diet, but a LOW-fat diet. I eat all the good fats (fish, olive oil instead of other oils etc). I LOVE fish and other lean meats.

My workout routines consist of a 2-5km walk (half uphill, 1/4 downhill, 1/4 slopeless *is that a word?*), and a 30 minute workout on my abs/arms/back.

I have finally gotten my family to start eating the same diet as me (kids can have more treats more often since they burn them off so easily at daycare). They join me in my walk every night, and my fiancee Todd will keep up with me when I do my 30 minute workout.

I weigh 232 lbs right now, my ultimage goal is go reach 150 lbs, which is over 80 lbs. All other boards and sites that I have been to get angry at me for "believing that I'm goign to lose this weight overnight". I UNDERSTAND that this will not happen. I'm giving myself up to a year and a half to do this. I'm not trying to go overboard.

I've also gotten in trouble for "bragging" about my weight and inch loss, because it puts other obese people down and makes them depressed. I should have the right to brag!! I'm proud of myself and I want people to know it. Plus it might be incentive to see that one of their peers is doing this, and help them get into it themselves.

I WANT to submit recipes that will be nutritional, I want to help encourage others as I receive encouragement myself, I want to empathize with others knowing that I have most likely been in the same position. I'm also looking for an ACTIVE board. I have found two good sites with message boards, but people post maybe once a week and have completely ignored me.

If you do NOT want me here, please tell me now so I can look elsewhere.

Thanks for listening to me rant ;)

courtney_elaine19 08-13-2004 01:57 PM

well i just joined today as well, but i think it's safe to say that you've come to the right place. welcome to 3fc!

nickybum 08-13-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamaralynn
I've been searching forever for a good site that will be supportive for my diet, yet not bash me for being an "idiot" when I want to experiment with things.

I've been overweight most of my life. By the time I was 14 years old I reached 205 lbs. Since then my weight has yo-yo'ed. I am now 24 years old with two children (ages 3 and 6). I had been on depo provera for about 3 years and decided to stop after not being able to lose any of the weight that I had been packing on.

I quit smoking on January 15th, and decided that I would wait approximately 6 months before truly cracking down and dieting. But each time I tried, I would be tempted by something that my family members were eating (pizza, bugers, chips) and I'd fall off the bandwagon.

My fiancee and I finally decided to start a low-fat diet. This is where I'm continuously being chastized for. By low fat I mean cutting out the bad fats and allowing good fats. I eat the "good carbs" whole wheat/grains. I am sticking to healther milk products (skim milk instead of 2%, non-fat cottage cheese, frozen yoghurt instead of ice cream). I have cut down on all bad toxins in my diet (aspartame *diet sodas*, perservatives, chemicals etc) and have started doing daily exercises.

I've never found a site that agreed with my "diet" choices. They believe that I should be cutting carbs right out... eating less proteine... more fats...etc.

I understand that fats are needed to lubricate your body to help it function properly. I never told anyone that I was on a NO-fat diet, but a LOW-fat diet. I eat all the good fats (fish, olive oil instead of other oils etc). I LOVE fish and other lean meats.

My workout routines consist of a 2-5km walk (half uphill, 1/4 downhill, 1/4 slopeless *is that a word?*), and a 30 minute workout on my abs/arms/back.

I have finally gotten my family to start eating the same diet as me (kids can have more treats more often since they burn them off so easily at daycare). They join me in my walk every night, and my fiancee Todd will keep up with me when I do my 30 minute workout.

I weigh 232 lbs right now, my ultimage goal is go reach 150 lbs, which is over 80 lbs. All other boards and sites that I have been to get angry at me for "believing that I'm goign to lose this weight overnight". I UNDERSTAND that this will not happen. I'm giving myself up to a year and a half to do this. I'm not trying to go overboard.

I've also gotten in trouble for "bragging" about my weight and inch loss, because it puts other obese people down and makes them depressed. I should have the right to brag!! I'm proud of myself and I want people to know it. Plus it might be incentive to see that one of their peers is doing this, and help them get into it themselves.

I WANT to submit recipes that will be nutritional, I want to help encourage others as I receive encouragement myself, I want to empathize with others knowing that I have most likely been in the same position. I'm also looking for an ACTIVE board. I have found two good sites with message boards, but people post maybe once a week and have completely ignored me.

If you do NOT want me here, please tell me now so I can look elsewhere.

Thanks for listening to me rant ;)

Welcome tamarallynn
I know, isn't this site amazing? im so relieved i found this place.WOW :fr: you've got it all sorted out, you know where your going and how and when your going to do it, i so wish i had a attitude like yours, i mean i know im going to do it just dont know when and i take it one day at a time. if you ever want to pass any recipes my way i would be most grateful, as i need more choices :^: well done you brag away :yes:

nickybum 08-13-2004 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by courtney_elaine19
well i just joined today as well, but i think it's safe to say that you've come to the right place. welcome to 3fc!

welcome courtney-elaine19 :wave:

NYCT1981 08-13-2004 02:16 PM

tamaralynn... i'm glad that you came here. i've been here for about four weeks. i think everyone here is in agreement that different eating and exercise plans work for different people. of course, sometimes there are differing opinions, but that's just normal.

we are just here to support each other through the process. we are proud of each other when we lose weight and inches. i post in the 20-something forum as well as throw my two cents in everywhere else, lol. every forum has lots and lots of great and supportive women and men.

i think that you are on the right track to success, and i wish you the best of luck getting to 150. PM me any time, i love to talk to people!

tamaralynn 08-13-2004 02:27 PM

Thanks all!

It's nice to know that I'm welcome :lol

I have been keeping my diet on my webpage (if you want to view it). Everything I eat (down to the last morsel) goes there. I try to stay away from snacking because when I snack, I usually go overboard (habit of snacking for comfort/boredom).

I ran to grab one of those Atkins friendly Low Carb wraps from Subway for lunch (I'm at work) and when I got back, I decided to look it up.

I'm happy I did!!!! A Turkey and Ham wrap is a whopping 25 grams of fat!! WHOA! That's more than double of my daily fat intake. I asked for minimal sauce and I took that and all the cheese off before I started eating. So now it has the same ingredients that the (7 grams and under) Ham and turkey sub (veggies, ham turkey and wrap...) There's a tiny bit of the dressing left, but unless I rinse my veggies under water, I'm not going to get rid of it all.

At least we're going for 6 km hike tonight. And I'll for sure burn it off tomorrow in my hike in JOhnston's Canyon (i live in Calgary), 12 km (half uphill & half downhill). If you have never been there, you should look it up, it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Well worth the exercise for those of you who are enemies with it LOL.

tamaralynn 08-13-2004 02:28 PM

Lol Tanny, I hope you don't mind, I'm gonna do a similar siggy lol.

tamaralynn 08-13-2004 02:32 PM

test

Amby876 08-13-2004 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=tamaralynn]
QUOTE]

I love to brag about my success. I am no where near my goal, but I'm closer than I was before I started modifying my eating habits (I hate the word Diet?)

Keep bragging! We love to hear about each other's success

mauvaisroux 08-13-2004 04:16 PM

Welcome to 3fc:wave:

I personally don't see anything wrong with you plan - I don't understand why people on other sites were bashing you :shrug:

And as for bragging - :?: A lot of people here share there stories, their ups and downs and their losses- giving and getting support is what its all about :)

e.mccoy 08-13-2004 04:59 PM

You Go Girl!!!

Well Tam, :tread:

Let me start out by saying welcome to 3fc. I am also new to this site and I don't see you having any problems here. The people here are so friendly and warm :grouphug:. I to have been struggling with my weight for several years now and I would love to visit your webpage to see what you eat. Send me a PM. JUst keep up the good work. You have inspired me and hopefully others :cheer: :goodluck:

Marti 08-13-2004 05:13 PM

Hi tamaralynn and welcome!

I agree with the girls I think that you have a great plan and you know....everyone has their own plan. What works for you does not necessarily work for someone else. And to have a place that would push you to do "their" thing only makes no sense. That is not what I call support.

Support is where you feel comfortable sharing your ups and downs and ESPECIALLY your successes!! Sharing your triumphs should be something that you can always share. If it makes someone feel bad I don't understand why their posting to begin with. We are suppose to be here for each other....a site does not revolve around one person. Everyone loses differently...slow for some and a little faster for others.

So I am VERY happy that you found this site because you will definately get the support you're looking for here. You will find so many wonderful people here who are more than happy to applaud you during your successes and will give you a shoulder to lean on when you're having a bad day.

I think you're doing great, your plan sounds good, you have both your sweety and your children involved and it's working. Good for you!

Please keep on posting and when you need to brag---well girl I say:
BRAG AWAY!! :D

Take Care

courtney_elaine19 08-13-2004 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickybum
welcome courtney-elaine19 :wave:

thanks!

tamaralynn 08-13-2004 05:28 PM

Thanks everyone :D

It's nice to have support at home, but sometimes you need a little more lol

I have my website on my profile... if it lists it, feel free to check it out.

TerryT 08-14-2004 07:17 PM

Hi and welcome. I am fairly new tot he site and I enjoy it very much. So much info here and I find that I am not the only one in certain situations. I find some of the posts funny and it makes my day when I read them. I figure we are all here for the same reasons, lose weight, get fit etc. What works for one may not work for another and it is nice to see the results of the programs other members try. I think you will enjoy it here, I do!