Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:54 PM   #1  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Talking LOST it b4..lose it AGAIN

Hi all,

Resurfacing from a meltdown in Atkins grease.
I have been on Atkins for 3 months and have lost 12 lbs.
But today the scale was up 4 lbs. FORGET IT!!!!

I lost 60 lbs. 5 years ago on 20 grams of fat a day in 5 months and am ready to do it again, however I want to lose @ 150 lbs.

I got married to the best guy 1 and 1/2 years ago and he supports ANYTHING I want to do.
SOOOOO I ffound this site and ordered Dr. Mirkins book and figure I can lose with all this support.
I've been lurking here for about a week and there are some very intelligent, sweet and helpful people here.....

So I'm jumping in,
RM
Old 04-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #2  

Hello!!!yeah! You can do it. I have never been able to follow atkins because I get really sick if I OD on protein or fat. But 7 years ago I lost 70 pounds countin fat and cals and kept it off until I had a baby last year and porked out for a year!!! Now I'm going to do the same thing I did before and try not to get discouraged about HAVING to do it AGAIN. OH well... It is great to be married to someone who supports your efforts. I feel the same way about my hubby and I know he will be my biggest support. Good luck to you.
D in AZ
Old 04-21-2004, 09:20 PM   #3  
Dena

Default counting calories too

So how many calories are you all limiting yourselves to? I am just sort of eating smaller portions and seeing what I end up with at the end of the day. I did Atkins too and CANNOT lose weight on a diet that tells me to eat meat all day cause that's what I'll do. I totally overdid it.
I wish I had a treadmill at home but for now I just do exercise tapes early in the morning before the kids get up
Dena
Old 04-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #4  

Hi! I am TRYING to keep my cals around 1200. I don't think that is too bad. I want to lose faster but it seems like no matter how much you cut back you are going to lose at the same rate anyways.
D in AZ
Old 04-21-2004, 10:44 PM   #5  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Same here, I found this book by Dr. gabe Mirkin...'20 grams of fat' He also has some others out I will see if the library has them, basicly you eat 20 grams a day or less of fat and at least 25-30 grams a day of fiber. And you get 2 cheat meals a week in moderation...beer and pizza baby!!!
I order all the books I can thru half.com and ordered this one for 1.00.

If you like to cook you have it made 'cause there are so many great low and no-fat recipes right on this computer.
I try to stay away from all white stuff....and use splenda no aspartame. and absoulutely NO white flour. I plan to still watch my carbs by only eating healthy ones.

So you gals maybe want to stick together??? Seeins how we are all new April chics???
I still need to figure out this site...as far as e-mails go but I did check that others could e me...maybe that means my e-mail addy is in my profile???
RM
Old 04-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #6  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I'm eating between 1200 and 1900 calories a day. I use www.fitday.com to track what I eat. I'm finding keeping calories to 1200 quite difficult actually, a couple of times I have had to eat something to get my calories above 1000.

I might try counting my grams of fat too, at the moment I am trying to keep the fat intake I eat down to under 30% a day.

I hear you about drowning in the Atkins grease too, it's great for early weight loss but I found that my weight fluctuated badly after I came off induction. Plus I got so sick of eating eggs yuck yuck.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:02 PM   #7  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Thanks for the fitday link I will check it out, I lost 60 lbs. about 6 years ago, I was in love and moving to Ohio to be with my BF(husband now) and it was a great motivator.
But after I got here and got into a routine with him,I lost my way.

You know everywhere you look now its all low carb this and that and you hear that low-fat is bad because you will gain any weight loss back, well the key IS to make it a way of life,my husbands uncles..4 of them ..all died from heart disease.
They all had desk jobs,his dad worked in a foundry..welding and was very active he lived twice as long as the uncles and never had a heart problem.
And he ate..and loved to cook.

SOOOOO this time I will make it a way of life for both of us, there really is no excuse not to, but also I won't be lulled into thinking that all the packages you see in the store labeled"low or No" fat is good for my WOL.
That I think is where this got a bum rap...just like they are finding now that these companies are mis-labeling low-carb products, we were mislead on the packaged low-fat processed food bandwagon... the sugar content was fooling us as they came out with other forms of sugar...names the average person was not familiar with;high fructose corn syrup,maltodextrin,dextrose....they also were adding more sugar as they took out the fat.
Don't get me wrong I would not put down anything that is helping someone get their weight down if they are in a danger zone....but I LOVE TOEAT and COOK!!!
I was feeling so limited on Atkins in the kitchen,but I feel I did get the poisons out and am ready now for a plan I CAN LIVE WITH FOR GOOD!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:29 PM   #8  

hi to you your far more dedicated to this calorie stuff than me if you want to chat pop into uk chics and ill see you there
kirsty
Old 04-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #9  

Talking Hi Ralphmarie

Yes, I agree about the companies going crazy with the low fat thing and now the low carb thing. I buy a few items that make life sweeter or tastier on occasions but mostly I try to eat the healthier choices, whole grains, veggies, friuts and I'm not a big meat person but I get enough with lean or meatless choices. And I really don't feal deprived. I actually have a lot more energy the last couple of days. And I have been much happier.

I keep track of my cals on my palm with a program I first trialed for free and then liked so much I bought it. I don't have access to the computer enough to keep track on here but I love my palm pilot program. It tracks my cals, and any other nutrients I choose, fat cholesterol protein carbs blah blah blah.... plus it tracks my weight and my exercise. I do lie to my palm pilot about how much I weigh!! How pathetic is that? Next week I will actually weigh myself and start keeping track. I think I can do it.

I like the idea of having a couple of days for beer and pizza too. And I think you lose weight just as fast and feel less deprived if once a week you don't really keep track and you just enjoy whatever it is you have been wanting. Then you get what you want and you don't feel like you have cheated or been BAD You just fit it into your program and continue the next day as usual. I also think this keeps your bod guessing about what you are doing. It doesn't totally get used to the lower cals and adjust to that. I know when I lost I lot of weight before I did that and I lost weight faster. I had hit a major plateau and once I started eating extra cals maybe once a week the weight started dropping again???? Go figure?

I hope us April chicks do hang out together.

Take care.

Talk to you later
Old 04-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #10  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

You're right Finding, I am so looking forward to getting Dr. Mirkins book but really already know about staying under 20 grams of fat a day....6 Years ago when I had the big loss(it's baaaack) thats the way i did it, I also started moving my big behind, something I had been neglecting big time, I had made the excuse to myself that I was just too durn fat to exercise, that there was no way i could walk 1..2..33 or however many miles, my feet would hurt, oohhh my back whaaaa my legs etc. Then i realized "hey I don't have to walk all the miles today" I can start out at 1 block if thats all i can handle and tomorrow maybe I can do 2 blocks.

At the time I lived out in the country in NC and had a very big front yard so thats where I started, my yard sloped down to where the house was so hlf of the yard went uphill, the first day I think I circled around 3 times (I was at my all time high of 297)
The next day I pushed myself and did more and finally after about 1 month I started on the road, building up to 3 miles 4 times a week.
I also started with 3 lb weights working up to 5.
I lost 60 lbs. in about 5 months this way and kept it off for almost 2 and 1/2 years but I got so lazy and started eating the same things DBF was and well you all know how that goes....then just did the atkins thing(leg pain and numbness have me concerned)
BUT now I have this here board and I'm making new friends who really understand the dynamics of this journey.
And while it is nice to have those 2 free meals a week the Dr. says and I agree that you still need to make a smart cheat choice, my Pizza will be homemade with a whole wheat crust but with full fat cheese and some Italian sausage and my beer will be our homemade stout with the good grains that we crack ourselves.
Also am making wine this year for future free meals...lol

So when i get the book I will be posting my daily menu's in my journal(after I find out how to use that) so you can maybe get some idea's.
I will also put some of my own fav. low-no-fat recipes in there like my cheesecake.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:25 PM   #11  

Smile Yum Cheescake

RM
I would love to have your cheesecake recipe. Yum!!!!

I know what you mean about eating what DH eats. This is where I got into big trouble. He says he doesn't even notice I have gained 60 plus pounds but I know he does. He says I love you not your weight. GRRRRRR. Like that helps! Its sweet. But I cant eat what he eats and I know that I look and feel a lot different.

I will have to check out your journals!

Keep going
D in Az
Closed Thread