Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 97.8/78.7/50 kg

Height: 164.4 cm

Default I want to be as far away from overweight/obese as I can be.

Hello! I found this site quite by accident, but it looks like it's a good one (if a bit unpopulated). I figured I'd try it out!

My name is Grace, I'm 30 years old, 164.4 cm, 78.7 kg.

I'm really, really tired of being overweight. I've tried before to lose weight and it never sticks. It's like once I lose some and feel a little better, I take it as license to go back to old habits. I'm sick of it, and it can't be good for me.

My family on one side has a history of heart problems and cancers that are closely tied to being overweight. On the other side my family is all tiny, svelte people. I'm built like the svelte side only I'm overweight like the other side, which is irritating. Everyone on the svelte side has a low weight that they maintain healthily. Pretty much everyone on the other side is either high-normal weight or pretty overweight/obese. That side tends to also have bigger frames than the other.

I have a smaller frame but am still very overweight, which I've been told makes it even more unhealthy for me. My goal is to get as low in the normal weight range as I can, and then reassess from there. My doctor is on board with this plan (she knows a few other member of my family, so she can see some of my genetic relatives). I don't know if I'll stay there exactly, but at this point it doesn't matter because I have to get there to even begin to see how things are at that weight.

I haven't been a normal weight since I was a child. I gained weight rapidly after some unpleasant family situations and when I started to make my own breakfasts and lunches. That suggests to me that I'm not 'naturally big,' and even if I was, I'm not naturally 90+ kg at my height - that's my choices and environment. I can control one of those.

Sorry that was so long. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
GreyCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207.8 / 139.6 / 140

Height: 5'7.5"

Hey There - You got this.... Congrats on the first step... Next up is figuring out how you will do it and what will be different. I had been heavy all of my life - then joined Overeaters Anonymous - lost 100+ lbs and kept it off for 10 years... then did not go to many meetings.. and wandered off.. ate my way back to 207.8.... Dieting all the way ... August 2016 joined Jenny Craig and also starting using My Fitness Pal and working out.. and voila 2 years later - still maintaining. I have my ups and downs., but so happy to be at goal range and size 6... So good luck with your process.. whatever that is for you. This site has a ton of good resources. I also write on the JennyCraig forum. These forums both offer tons of support and help.

SO go get em!!!! IT can be done - and you are on your way.
MissBumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 AM   #3  

I think something I could chime in with is eating and being aware of your eating habits. To put effort and research into that would be a great use of your time as far as watching youtube videos on correcting eating habits or reading books (whichever your style you know). Like you said once you successfully lose weight you take it as a license to go back to old habits. So I say begin taking eating habits much more seriously because you already know how to lose the weight. Good luck!
triddler80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 97.8/78.7/50 kg

Height: 164.4 cm

Thanks for the responses! You guys are right that eating habits are the big thing for me. I know how to eat healthy and lose weight, but sticking to it is the big issue. It sounds like it's just going to be a lifelong, chronic condition kind of thing. I just need to figure habits to develop to handle the times when I slip or when I want to slip so that it doesn't snowball. But that's the challenging part, isn't it?
GreyCX is offline   Reply With Quote