Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/155/145

Height: 65

Default Newbie here! First time trying 16:8

Hi all - I have several autoimmune conditions that cause chronic pain more days than not. I've always been an emotional eater, carb addict and have struggled more with the compulsive eating since my pain ramped up several years a

In 2010, I weighed 172 pounds. I now weigh 214 and most of that was gained by eating when pain got so bad I couldn't sleep. Would get up and eat several bowls of cereal in the night when couldn't sleep due to pain. I cut back to part-time work August 2012 and weighed 223 then. So I've not lost much even though I rest a lot more not working full-time. Nothing--even the increased rest--helps much with the pain. Have tried so many RX and alternative pain remedies, but it looks as though I'm stuck with it.

I do take Norco10 some days. The opiates don't help the pain a whole lot but the opiate buzz does help dim it a bit. But you can only take a few every few days or you lose the buzz effect. Chronic opiate therapy did not work. Also have xanax for sleep. I've tried to restrict both these meds due to side effects. The way I take them does not carry an addiction risk and I don't have an addictive personality other than food. Know that from heavy drinking in college (until I got a C in one of my chemistry classes so cut the partying!) and no problems gradually weaning off chronic opiate therapy.

Counting anything ...carbs, calories, points even using great tools just doesn't work for me. Days I'm in pain, I simply don't have the motivation to enter foods, ect and am more likely to eat off plan.

My doctor thinks upping med use at night to sleep is the lesser of the two evils when looking at meds vs obesity. At age 51, I do not have obesity related DM, HTN and my lipids are good. Realize as I age that there's more of a chance I might develop obesity related issues like those.

So anyway, I'm going to give 16/8 a go. Plan to eat from 11-7 with a warm, comforting cup of soup or cereal just before 7. Then meds and bed.

Not going to start out with a lot of food restrictions during my eating time other than continuing to try to avoid simple sugars ...an ongoing battle.

If I can stick within the 11-7 widow, my caloric intake will drop significantly just by cutting out several hours of grazing when I'm not hungry.

Plan to start a thread with the above info to track my progress. Look forward to making this journey with y'all!

Last edited by eAnna; 05-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
eAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome eanna! I find that when I stick to the IF I don’t have too many issues - if you find you are struggling At first then do a few more hours eating and slowly wean that back to your 16:8. Autoimmunes are a pain in the butt - I have them too - the struggle is always trying to find what works for you. Hang in there and good luck on your journey!
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 89.9kg/78kg/65kg

Height: 5ft 4

Hi eAnna,
I hope you are doing well and feeling a little better and hopefully getting results.
I have heard that removing added sugar from the diet (high fructose corn serup, table sugar and foods with added sugar) is really beneficial for overall health and mental health as well and of course adding lots of fresh heathy lean meats, fruits and vegetables to the diet.

I was having similar mental issues with emotional eating and carb overloading and found that when I made effort to plan healthy meals with meat and lots of veg I didn’t binge as much on the bad stuff and felt better in myself.
I hope this somehow helps
melinda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/155/145

Height: 65

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions!
eAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #5  

Hi eAnna,

I just rediscovered this site and haven't been here for years. The first thing I saw was your message. I struggle with chronic pain also. I managed to lose 100 pounds by watching my carbs, and not bringing my binge foods into the house. I have had more pain and other life difficulties in the last year, so I have gained about 30 back. BUT I'm determined to nip it in the bud, and that's why I'm back! I am struggling with nighttime eating as well, also because I can't sleep because of pain. If I had cereal in the house, it would definitely be gone the first night! Now when I do late night snacks, my options are things like string cheese and tea. The sugar just brings out the late night binger in me, so I'm glad it's not around. Hope this helps!
FatKat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #6  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

Hi eAnna

I too have chronic pain with multiple illnesses. I’m homebound being bed bound from the pain most days. I do IF as well as I’m hoping it will help me with some of the pain. I also have so many reactions from different foods which force me into a limit diet which makes me want to binge because I feel deprived. This just leaves me dangerously sick putting my health at risk. Best wishes on your journey and hope you find some relief. Some days I can only do OMAD because of the food reactions. Message me anytime.
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote