Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #1  

Default Weight loss after spine fusion, anyone else?

New member, so happy to find this group I had major spine surgery 12 weeks ago and weigh the most I ever have. It is urgent that I lose weight to avoid more surgery. I'm unable to exercise yet but can't wait for that day to come, if it does. The weight just kind of snuck up on me because I haven't been able to be very active for years, and my hardest food habit is portion control. I'm 39 and have four kids, 17, 15, 12, and 10. It's time to put myself first and I can't give up or let myself cheat. Every time I think of cheating I literally ask if my kids or that food is more important. So far, so good...but it's only been six days so I can't exactly claim victory quite yet Can't wait to learn from the amazing and supportive people I see here!
PJardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #2  

Height: 6-1.5

Maybe you haven't gotten answers because no one has experienced those circumstances. I was born with a birth defect in which some vertabea were fused naturally. I was never one of those girls who was good in gym class. Not the same thing, I know.

Weight loss and diet have more to do with what you eat. I know a lot of people say you must exersise, do arobics and such, but really, jogging or walking only burn small amounts of calories.

For someone like you, gentle, doctor approved toning exersises, like swimming laps, and perhaps lift weights to tone your arms and shoulders. Go easy, and do not injure your back. You can do this!

The best diet ever: Watch "Forks Over Knives." Cut out all animal based foods. Meat, dairy. Cut out all oil, sugar, fats. You will lose serious weight, quickly, but not so quick as to be unsafe. If it was between food and living for my children, I would go Vegan.

Last edited by giselley; 08-09-2014 at 10:34 AM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 AM   #3  

Hi there! You hit the nail on the head with that one. I had spinal surgery and stage one ovarian cancer last year. I was alarmed to see myself gaining over 20 pounds and learned from my Dr. that it is common to gain when you can't exercise or move around the way you used to.

My weight had mysteriously gone way down before I had the ovarian tumor removed -- yikes! I am almost fully recovered now and am beginning to see my weight going down. I am relieved! Yours will too! As your body heals and you find a diet that works for you, you'll lose.

I believe slow and steady is the way to go. I have two more surgeries coming and I am dieting very diligently. Food is a great comfort for me when going through the medical world. Since you have kids who have to eat -- maybe they can get a culinary education. Take care of you and whatever you eat might be just perfect for the kiddos too? Hang in! I'm new here too and blown away at the weight loss I have seen from the wonderful gals here. Take care!
1hatchling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

I know plenty of people that have lost weight without exercising only by eating healthier. In the end of the day, all you have to do is create a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. It would be easier if you could exercise, but since you can't you'll need to eat less than you spend and that will do the trick!
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #5  

Sure, healthy people can lose weight without exercise. They also lose muscle and up skinny fat - too much internal fat which is not healthy. What you eat is also important. It isn't just about calories. If it were, we could eat sweets all day long and lose weight just by staying in our calorie allotment. Protein is essential for life, carbs aren't. Protein is necessary for healing, carbs don't heal. Healthy fats are necessary for absorption of some vitamins.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote