Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #1  

Question Glycaemic carb total on labels have me confused! Help needed!

Hi there everyone.

Im new on the site and have been following Atkins diet for two weeks now and will be moving to OWL phase tomorrow.

Ive been searching the net for a few days trying to figure out how to count the net carbs on a label if the label has only the glycaemic carb total, what im trying to figure out is can I deduct the fiber from the glycaemic carb total on the label to get the net carbs or do I count the glycaemic carbs total on the label as the net carbs in the product?

This might be a silly question as no one has asked this so im feeling a little like a dumb blond but would really appreciate help on this if anyone knows
cindsnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've never heard of glycaemic carb total, nor seen the term on a food label.

However, the name suggests that it is being used as another name for net carbs (so you would NOT subtract fiber, because it's already been done).

The concepts of glycemic index and glycemic load have to do with how blood sugar is affected, which is very similar to the logic behind determining "net" carbs, because you subtract the carbs that do not affect blood sugar.

Since fiber would be a non-glycemic carb, it would not have been included in a glycemic carb count.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-04-2013 at 04:20 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #3  

Thank you so much for your feedback. Ill make sure to count it as net carbs then. Its strange that you have never seen it when so much of the things I buy have glycaemic carb totals on.
cindsnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindsnewbie View Post
Thank you so much for your feedback. Ill make sure to count it as net carbs then. Its strange that you have never seen it when so much of the things I buy have glycaemic carb totals on.

Are they all Atkins or other low-carb products? I don't eat a lot of processed foods when I follow low-carb or paleo, so I eat mostly foods that don't come with a nutrition label.

When I'm eating more processed foods with nutrition labels, I'm generally not buying products made specifically for low-carbers.

Right now I'm following "The Simple Diet" which isn't low-carb (although it can be done in a carb-conscious manner). The diet does rely on more prepackaged foods like frozen dinners as well as protein bars and shakes, but the guidelines only address calorie, fat and protein content. I do look at carb content as well, but only to find the lowest carb options that fit into the other guidelines. I'm not usually buying items marketed as low-carb.

I did buy one Atkins frozen meal (which is higher in fat than the Simple Diet guidelines, but I made an exception to give it a try). I read the label but to the best of my recall, the term net carbs was used.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-04-2013 at 05:42 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote