Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'6

Default New to the diet thing and not sure where to start

A lil about me. I have never had a weight problem. After I had my second daughter I more or less quit doing things I enjoyed. Now my daughters are older and I have decided to start again. I have let my self go to 260 pounds when just 8 years ago I was 130. I have ordered the Zumba DVD's ( I love dancing) and they should arrive either tomorrow or Sat. (any advise or success stories with those would be great). Tomorrow I am set to go by a scale. I have never owned one.

I found this site and thought what could it hurt to possibly get some encouragement and maybe meet new friends in the same situation. As soon as I get my DVD's I am going to weight myself and start. I look forward to posting positive results but am also having a level of shame for posting the current weight once I get it to start this new journey in my life.
Zabrina99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #2  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

This site is terrific for support, inspiration and advice. Feel free to post often!
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #3  

Thank you. I hope it will be. I have not told anyone of what I am doing so looking for that support. I have friends or work with people that every day are "on a diet" and nothing changes with them. I don't want to be one of them that talk about it. I just want to do it.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Welcome Zabrina =D

I have the zumba dvd's as well, although sadly I don't get to use them (I live on a second floor apartment, and my neighbors downstairs mentioned it was very noisy for them as I tried dancing around).

Don't be ashamed of your weight =) we all have to start somewhere, and just remember it's the first step towards making yourself healthy! I've only been at it for 11 days, but this website has been a godsend to keep my motivation up! Everyone is so friendly and encouraging, and they understand exactly what you're going through! It's great to have that kind of support ^_^

I look forward to hearing about your successes!!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #5  

Thank you for your support. It is amazing the support on here. I am seeing such positive things from all the posts I am reading.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #6  

Well Zumba disk got here. Guess tomorrow buy a scale and start when I get home.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #7  
Oh Snap!

S/C/G: 308/308/140

Height: 5'6"

Well done for making the first steps Zabrina! Zumba is an awesome way to exercise, tiring- but you don't care cause it's so fun! xD I'm new here as well. I wish you lots of good luck and look forward to seeing your success
Knittywitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #8  

I'm looking forward to starting Zumba when I get home. Stopping on way home to by the dreaded scale. Will definatly keep you posted.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #9  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Not all of it will apply to you, but I suggest seeing if you can get a copy of the Beck Diet Solution book. It has a bunch of stuff about learning how to diet, and you can probably find that one and the Beck Diet for Life at the library. (You can ignore the parts about 'failing before')

One of the sayings I've heard is that you can't out-exercise bad eating habits. Without knowing more, it's hard to know what you'll need to adjust, beyond 'eat fewer calories'--we all have different issues.

Mine was sweets--too much junk and too much of it at a time. 10 cookies? no problem. A candy bar at 10 am and another at 3:00 pm? Yup, did that, too. Ice cream after dinner? (and it was a big bowl) I had to break those habits.

For DH, who is also losing weight right now, his biggest issue was portion control. Measuring out his dinners for him has made a huge difference. I measure mine out as well, but I would have maintained at what I was eating for meals--it was the snacks that were causing the weight gain.

For some people, counting calories is easy (and free). If you have a smart phone, there are easy apps--MyFitnessPal, LoseIt are common, but they aren't the only ones.

Some people do best with a flexible plan, which counting calories can be, as can Weight Watchers. Some people do best with no flexibility--set meals and set menu, and possibly even prepared foods.

Some people want in-person group support (WW, TOPS, etc.). Other people want a coach/diet supervisor (I think IP works this way, and medically supervised very low calorie plans.) For me, this on-line group, DH, and a few personal friends are my support system.

Some people learn they are sensitive to carbohydrates, and for others, that's not an issue at all.

People follow diets for all of these (and more). I guess my point is that losing weight is going to have to include changes to your food intake, so you'll want to think about what will work for you.

You'll have to find out what the right approach is for you--and be open to the idea that the right approach for the first however many pounds might need to change for the next period of time.

Good luck!

Last edited by bethFromDayton; 05-17-2013 at 02:18 PM.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #10  

Thank you Beth. You know it is going to sound funny but my problem is not food. I mean I guess I could eat better, but I don't even care to eat. I am not a sweet eater, I live on salads ( and those consist of red wine vinegar and lettuce and tomatos, I dont like a bunch of stuff on my salad). My problem is I love beer or wine. And now that the kids are getting older and i am less active or if they are not home I dont eat and drink wine for my dinner. When I am active I don't even think about it. (lol I know that sounds like a whole nother issue).

Today I got home did my first Zumba workout, completed the entire 55 mins. Laughed at myself and greatful no one was home to laugh at me. I sweated my booty off and proved that I am a total white girl with NOOOO cordination. And since I was busy and having fun, I have been home from work for 3 hours and haven't even had a glass of wine yet. But have finished almost a gallon of water. I am going to look up that book though, every bit of help is needed, if it wasn't I wouldn't be here.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Welcome to 3FC!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #12  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote