3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions-8/)
-   -   Probably need a therapist... but I'll start here (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions/274150-probably-need-therapist-but-ill-start-here.html)

sfbrown01 01-24-2013 03:31 PM

Probably need a therapist... but I'll start here

What to say... What to say! I will be thirty in May, and I have a wonderful family. Daddy and I are both over-weight, but our three-year-old is fabulous! everything we are not actually... tall and thin. My husband and I were "fat" when we met and health took a backseat to dining out and having fun.

Now, 6 years later, my gestational diabetes has turned to full blown type-2, and while it is in the back of my mind with every bite that I take, it hasn't motivated me nearly enough. While I realize the strong difference between motivation and determination, I become complacent so easily. I just cannot commit and finish things very easily.

Another problem I face is no support. I live in a new city, with no friends, and I don't leave the house much because I don't work outside of the house and most of my classes at school are online. My husband is my best friend... but he is the WORST diet partner. On day one of a diet, he would suggest going to get donuts because he has completely forgotten. He is a great guy, not dumb like I just made him sound... he just doesn't think healthy at all do to a ridiculous southern family and their horrible eating patterns. (Fried okra is not a vegetable anymore, people!)

I am transferring to University next semester and I am scared as ****. I dropped out of school a few years ago because I didn't fit in their antiquated small desks. I literally left the class with tears in my eyes. Even now when I have to take an at-school class, I get there at least 30 minutes early to make sure I can get the "fat girl" desk.

It is like a lonely tomb in this fat suit. I am confident in all other aspects of my life, but I am full of self-sabotage and inner-demons. I thought maybe what I need is to be anonymous and (for once) completely open and honest with a group of people who may feel the same way. Oh, and I am completely aware of the butt-kicking my husband needs, and am working on that as well! :D

Sorry for the long-windedness, but as an introduction I thought I should lay it all out there. Of course there is more, but I will start here.

Nice to meet all of you!

TheLauren 01-24-2013 03:44 PM

Welcome to the forum!

This place is really wonderful for giving support and encouragement! Changing your lifestyle isn't easy. Perhaps if you put reminders of your reasons for changing around the house you and your husband will remember what you are aiming for, and why. I have a few photos of in-shape women horseback riding that inspire me and keep me dedicated. It can be really easy to slip back into bad habits.

elvislover324 01-24-2013 03:44 PM

Welcome to 3FC! You will love it here!

I believe there are diabetes focused groups here at 3FC with helpful information for your diet changes.

I am on a medically monitored diet and at my doctor's office, they have special nutrition programs specifically for diabetics. It might be worth looking into. Diabetes isn't something to mess with, as I am sure you know.

Good luck with your weightloss, hope to see you post often!

Mozzy 01-24-2013 05:10 PM

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!

mccull83 01-24-2013 05:17 PM

I loved your introduction title!
I will turn 30 in February, and my husband too is a HORRIBLE diet partner. He is CONSTANTLY begging me to go out to eat, or swing my McDonalds for "just a shake", etc. I've given him the talk about "sabotaging my efforts" and he has done better not including me in his poor eating habits, but it can still be a struggle.
I hope you find things that you enjoy (as exercise or to eat) and make this really work for you this time. Just think; ONE DAY WE WILL FINALLY FEEL COMFORTABLE IN OUR BODIES AND WON'T HAVE TO CONSTANTLY PULL OUR SHIRT DOWN OVER OUR GUT.
Good luck!

sfbrown01 01-24-2013 05:32 PM

Thank you to all that have posted. Everyone seems so supportive, and perhaps that is what I have been lacking.

Airycuh 01-24-2013 05:33 PM

I feel for ya, girl! I just graduated from college and arrived to all my classes early to make sure I get a seat that actually fits me. However, don't let your weight dictate your dreams or education. It is possible to lose weight and go to school. People are more accepting at school than what they appear. Don't be afraid of weight loss or going back to school. Embrace it!

I have a hard time dieting with my partner too. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and hates fruits and veggies. He also works as a pizza delivery driver (we are they typical college kids) and constantly brings home free pizza so we don't have to cook. While the thought is sweet, it's also frustrating because he forgot that I (more or less, we) are dieting. He also doesn't gain weight as easily as I do, which adds to my frustration.

I will do my best to help you and support you through your journey! In the words of my EDU 312 and 412 professor, "IF YOU BELIEVE, YOU WILL ACHIEVE!"

ichoose2believe 01-24-2013 05:37 PM

First ((HUGS)) I could use a therapist as well :) Welcome.

You can do it :) We all can :) And I know what you mean about the kiddo. I got a 4 year old that eats me out of house and home and is thin as a rail. *sigh* But I make sure to keep him on the right path eating lots of fruits and veggies with plenty of playtime... I figure it may be hard to fix be but I'll be damned if I am going to break him.

sfbrown01 01-24-2013 09:13 PM

ichoose2believe, I know what you mean! I am terrified that any of my kids would would have eating problems. It's just so hard in this fast paced world where convenience is optimal and often the cheaper choice. The sad thing is, I buy all the good healthy stuff and only make it for him... while I pilfer through the mostly healthy options and eat what naughty things we do have. When his reasoning skills develop, he is totally going to call me out on it.

Airycuh, I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks about these things. I really hadn't noticed how big I was until that day I sat in that 1940's desk and thought that everyone was looking at me. We moved down here from Elizabethtown a few years back, so it's good to see a Kentucky girl in here!

Meghan757 01-24-2013 09:25 PM

Welcome! I'm new here as well, but I love reading up here so far. I have always been overweight so I have no idea what it feels like to be skinny or "average"..I tend to stay away from places where I might not be welcomed (amusement parks, airplanes etc)..I was kicked off a rollercoaster twice and another amusement park ride recently. HOW EMBARRASSING!!!! I finally put my foot down and am starting Weight Watchers. I haven't officially done my first weigh-in but I am more determined than ever!! Good luck to you!! You can do it!! :carrot: ~Meghan

sfbrown01 01-24-2013 09:43 PM

Let me know how weight watchers works... I have been interested in it, but I wasn't sure if it really works.

Airycuh 01-24-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbrown01 (Post 4605946)

Airycuh, I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks about these things. I really hadn't noticed how big I was until that day I sat in that 1940's desk and thought that everyone was looking at me. We moved down here from Elizabethtown a few years back, so it's good to see a Kentucky girl in here!

Small world, girl! I'm in bowling green right now since I've finished up school. In 2010 I drove to etown every weekend for Winterguard rehearsal at the armory!

Anyways. Keep the positive attitude going. You can achieve anything through a positive outlook!

Cherry Heart 01-24-2013 10:21 PM

Welcome, I totally understand where you are coming from. I will turn 30 in April, and my husband (a naturally thin guy) doesn't really mean to be mean or unsupportive, he just "doesn't get it". He can eat healthy for about 4-5 days with me, then wants me to make philly cheese steaks, pizza, pasta, cookies. He still brings my favorite candy into the house, and once without thinking even waved a Twix in front of my mouth (he was offering me a bite) and I came unglued! He thinks offering me stuff is being polite when he snacks 3-4 times a day, I find it rude.

It's going to be a hard road, but I HAVE to do it, and I can only hope, at some point he will realize that he is over 30 now, and his weight has slowly crept from 135lbs, to 180lbs and he isn't the skin and bones guy that can eat non-stop anymore. I think he will join me, I am just really having to put my foot down for myself. Stand strong for you and your child! I know my parents own horrible eating habits reflect in me.

MrsO2010 01-24-2013 10:51 PM

Welcome, sfbrown01! I know how you feel about living in a new place with out family. My husband and I just moved from England to a Japanese island called Okinawa3 months ago. Our start/current/goal weights are very very similar too. We can both do this!!

Betba 01-24-2013 11:23 PM

Welcome back!! =D