3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions-8/)
-   -   Looking for fitness motivation. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions/261481-looking-fitness-motivation.html)

Waybueno 06-21-2012 06:57 PM

Looking for fitness motivation.

A little about myself, my names Kat, I ride and compete with horses. I ride daily or every other day, I work at a dog kennel/spa part time and I'm just not happy with my weight. I have a hard time motivating myself to workout sometimes, eat healthy and my boyfriend is way into fast food and is over weight himself and I often give into getting fast food because its whats there.

I haven't had fast food in a week now, I'm currently 5'2-5'3ft tall. I weighed myself at 3:00 today at 138lbs, hips 39inchs, waist 30inchs and I measured one of my thighs at 23 1/2inchs.

Im somewhere in-between a 7-9 as far as pants go, I feel it depends a lot of the brands but most the time 9's are either to big or just right, and 7's fit snug but kinda give away my love handles more.

I can't say I have a weight goal because 138lbs doesn't bother me so much, it bothers me that its in fat, i'd like to lose the fat and replace with muscle, tone up ect. My spots I hate the most are my legs and hip area.

I've come here to get tips on how to watch my weight, and help me lose it, what do you guys do to get motivated?

I tried starting a journal today and i hope I stick to it, where I write down the date, my weight and measurements, what i've ate and the calories in them and what time I ate them.

So far today I didn't eat till 1:00pm and I ate a tuna bagel, I looked up the calories and its about 217, bagel, mayo, and tuna. I also drank a energy drink this morning which was another 200 calories.

Does anyone know what the ideal calorie intake should be for me?

My reason for wanting to lose weight /// for myself and for my horse lol poor lil guy.

I know horses can hold a lot but it still I can't see it being comfortable when someones pulling themselves onto your back, i've had the chiropractor out a couple times for my horse, idk if its because of me or because of stuff he's done to himself while out and about but i'd like to eliminate the idea that its me possibly doing it.

ShetlandSheepdogLove 06-21-2012 07:56 PM

Hi, Kat, I'm Marie. Gee, wish I was your weight, but I'm working on it. :)

Anyways, is there any possible way that you can cut out energy drinks? I know a lot of them have tons of sugar, etc. I don't drink them myself because of all the sugar in them, otherwise I'd be drinking Red Bull all day. :D

Also, I'd recommend checking out a lot of the goal posts, etc. on the forum. They include inspiring stories of people who have had major accomplishments, both physically and mentally!

If you have an iPod/iPhone check out the "Lose It" app. It's free and with your information such as height, weight, your goal weight, etc it'll tell you how much your calorie intake should be. I'm attempting to lose 2 lbs. a week over a period of 5 weeks, and it tells me to stay under 1300 calories. I'm not exactly sure if that's "healthy" so I'm making it to where I don't eat less than 1400. :)

I wish you luck on your journey and hope that you meet people on this forum, as well!

KatTheAmazon 06-21-2012 09:41 PM

As a fellow rider, I can say that it is not always about weight, but rather HOW you ride. A fatter rider (such as myself lol) can still ride softly (not banging in the saddle or riding rigidly) and not hurt the horse. Likewise, a much smaller person could inflict more damage to the horse by riding poorly.

Not saying that is what you are doing! Just saying that horses can carry a lot of weight and be okay. IIRC, horses (generally speaking) can carry about 20% of their weight. Of course there are other factors that can come into play. If your horse has a sore back it could be because of saddle fit as well. Horses can change shape so easily so a saddle that once fit 6 months ago may not fit well today!

Anyway, I use the MyFitnessPal app. And I loooove it! After you put in your information, you can set it to how many pounds/week you want to lose and it gives you your recommended calories for the day.

As far as diet and exercise, try to eat clean. Lots of fresh veggies, fruit, lean meats, and cut out as much processed stuff as you can. You will feel a lot better for it! Weightlifting will help to change your body, although you may not lose a lot weight when you first start since your body retains water to repair the muscles (but you will love the results!!). Yoga and Pilates are very helpful for us riders as well as isometric exercises.

Sorry for the book and welcome! You'll love it here!

ETA: What style do you ride? I'm loosely classified as an eventer (trying so desperately to get back into eventing - I've done more dressage in the last few years more than anything due to my weight).

Waybueno 06-21-2012 11:32 PM

Hey Thanks Marie I went ahead and downloaded that app and love it!! Super easy to use! And your right it did feel good seeing the success stories.

@ Kat the amazon/ I don't think its from how I ride I know I have a good seat, he took a tumble a couple years ago it could be related but I don't mind having the chiropractor out here and there for him. I current and have been doing reining, reined cow horse and dabbling in cutting here and there. I used to rodeo and do barrels but the cows are way more fun :]

Thanks for the tips and advice guys!

GuiriGirl 06-22-2012 06:54 AM

waybueno:

Technology can be your new best friend!

Get yourself a heart rate monitor and wear it when working out (be it riding, walking or at the gym). This will give you a more exact idea of how many calories you are burning and where you are pushing yourself. It's also kind of fun!

I also like these online resources:

fitday: calorie&activity journal (also you can set specific weight loss goals and it will tell you how many calories you need to burn each day to meet that goal) www.fitday.com

bmi calculator: I probably shouldn't be as obsessed with this as I am, but it's kind of nice to see your progress in terms of BMI. http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

caloric intake calculator: to help you figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

ALSO: when your boyfriend wants to eat fastfood, maybe leave some cut veggies prepared in the fridge. That way, if you want to indulge, at least you can add a healthy component.

GOOD LUCK!