Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #1  
Determined to lose 120lbs

S/C/G: 270/255/150

Height: 5ft 6 in

Smile Hello everyone, I`m Ronja

Hello, as I said, I`m Ronja and currently weigh 260 pounds, I need to get down to 150ish and need help and encouragement. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and that hinders exercise plans. I am looking forward to chatting with many of you here.I just calculated my BMI, it is 42.0, Obesity, so I have some work to do.

How do i set goals and what should I be aiming for with my weight loss journey

Last edited by blomma; 11-17-2011 at 06:57 PM.
blomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #2  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ronja,

I am also from Ontario and the same height as you. Welcome to 3FC.

I see you have set an end goal...you could try losing in increments of 10 pounds at a time. You will see changes in yourself with each 10 lb lost, which is very rewarding.

I suggest aiming for a way of eating that will last you for the rest of your life. Forget the drastic, quick-weight-loss diets--you will get tired of them and revert to bad eating habits. I count calories because it gives me the most freedom. Nothing is excluded from my menus (except any form of meat as I am vegetarian), so I never get cravings for forbidden things, as nothing is forbidden as long as it fits within my daily calorie allowance. I plan my meals and have the food on hand for that day / week and stick to it as well as I can.

The other thing I would suggest is RIGHT NOW ditch the all or nothing mentality that so many of us have had: "I blew it today so I'll start again tomorrow to eat perfectly". WRONG! if you eat something not on your plan, get back on your day's meal plan right away and hold yourself to it. The perfect tomorrow has a way of never coming; start working your plan TODAY.

All the best on your journey to good health and looking great!
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree with blueheron. I count calories, too and plan all my meals ahead of time. I also did the ten pounds thing, if I had known I was going to lose 90 pounds I would have said that is not possible, setting smaller goals made it much easier.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #4  

Sounds like good advice, so thanks to both to you.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 296/289/180

Height: 5'9"

Ronja,

My sister also has RA and I have had back surgery, so I can suggest some exercises for you. So my sister really liked Zumba. You don't really jump that much and most, if not all, of it is standing so it is less impacting on the joints. Also yoga or Tai chi/Qigong. They give your muscles stretching time, while helping your joints.
cfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #6  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheron777 View Post
Hi Ronja,

I see you have set an end goal...you could try losing in increments of 10 pounds at a time. You will see changes in yourself with each 10 lb lost, which is very rewarding.

I suggest aiming for a way of eating that will last you for the rest of your life. Forget the drastic, quick-weight-loss diets--you will get tired of them and revert to bad eating habits. I count calories because it gives me the most freedom. Nothing is excluded from my menus (except any form of meat as I am vegetarian), so I never get cravings for forbidden things, as nothing is forbidden as long as it fits within my daily calorie allowance. I plan my meals and have the food on hand for that day / week and stick to it as well as I can.

The other thing I would suggest is RIGHT NOW ditch the all or nothing mentality that so many of us have had: "I blew it today so I'll start again tomorrow to eat perfectly". WRONG! if you eat something not on your plan, get back on your day's meal plan right away and hold yourself to it. The perfect tomorrow has a way of never coming; start working your plan TODAY.

All the best on your journey to good health and looking great!
This! Couldn't have said it better myself

The only thing I would add is other suggestions for smaller "mini" goals. In addition to 10 lb increments, other goals I set were new "decades" (i.e., getting out of the 220's), BMI goals (getting to just plain old "overweight" was my most recent one) or % of the way to goal (i.e., if you have 100 lbs to lose, celebrate 25 lbs lost as the "quarter of the way" mark.) Also remember to celebrate NSV's or non-scale victories! Inches lost, new clothes sizes, temptations you managed to resist, physical achievements (for me, being able to comfortably cross my legs was a big one!). Sometimes those things really get you through those times the scale just doesn't want to cooperate.

Also remember (ok, I guess I have TWO things to add!) that this isn't about perfection, it's about consistency over the long haul. We all have days we overeat or skip the work out. That's OK. Just don't let it become a habit.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 11-17-2011 at 09:47 PM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernExposure View Post
This! Couldn't have said it better myself

The only thing I would add is other suggestions for smaller "mini" goals. In addition to 10 lb increments, other goals I set were new "decades" (i.e., getting out of the 220's), BMI goals (getting to just plain old "overweight" was my most recent one) or % of the way to goal (i.e., if you have 100 lbs to lose, celebrate 25 lbs lost as the "quarter of the way" mark.) Also remember to celebrate NSV's or non-scale victories! Inches lost, new clothes sizes, temptations you managed to resist, physical achievements (for me, being able to comfortably cross my legs was a big one!). Sometimes those things really get you through those times the scale just doesn't want to cooperate.

Also remember (ok, I guess I have TWO things to add!) that this isn't about perfection, it's about consistency over the long haul. We all have days we overeat or skip the work out. That's OK. Just don't let it become a habit.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for your advice, I really like the NSV idea!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #8  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome Ronja, you've already gotten some great ideas. I'm glad you're here, and I look forward to reading about your success!
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelm View Post
Welcome Ronja, you've already gotten some great ideas. I'm glad you're here, and I look forward to reading about your success!
Awwww, thank you, I'm feeling very welcome here, thanks.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #10  

As another mentioned in her intro thread, I don't want to be ashamed of myself anymore and I too cringe every time I look in the mirror.I'm trying some self talk that it's just temporary, and that I am in control. That's something that I need to work on!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #11  

I have come across some motivational pix that i would like to share with you all!!!

Last edited by blomma; 11-21-2011 at 11:55 AM.