Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #1  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Another Newbie, in medias res

Well, after almost six months, I've gone and done the thing I swore that I wouldn't do; I joined a weight-loss site.

I didn't think I'd get any use out of them. I'm a somewhat private and often stand-offish person, and I'm definitely a know-it-all. I figured that, given enough drive and determination, I could do this entire thing by myself, community and support be darned. I'm the woman who, upon being talked into participating in a support group, spends fifty-seven minutes staring awkwardly at the floor, and three minutes making accidentally insensitive remarks. Inquiries as to how I'm doing tend to be met with an awkward and sometimes untrue, "uh, I'm fine."

And, really, throughout this entire thing, I have been fine. My ultimate goal was to lose somewhere in the vicinity of a hundred and fifty to two-hundred pounds. I never determined a precise amount, as I avoided the scale for the first six weeks. My best estimate thus far is that, over six months, I've lost nearly sixty pounds. I've lost two-to-three pants sizes, started exercising, and blogged about it with varying degrees of regularity and success.

I'm in this for the long haul--counting calories, adjusting my eating habits, and developing exercise habits that I plan to maintain indefinitely. My initial teacher--aside from the trainer that I am only now working with--has been the University of Google. Over the past few months, my searches for stories and information have led me to this place. And now, having already made extensive progress, I feel comfortable enough to step in. I still feel skittish, as though I might run away at any moment.

I might not fit in. I'm not a very good chick; I am, however, still a chick, and am most assuredly on a diet. So. . .to everyone, I say hello.

And now begins the epic battle of not running away. . .
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Hello! And welcome. Congrats on your success so far! It is such a great feeling to look back and say I DID THAT! See you around
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/153.4/145

Height: 5'6" Low Carb WOE

Hi Gabe, I'm new to the site as of last month and wanted to welcome you. I know how hard it can be to jump in at first. I did a lot of lurking before I joined, too! I'm sure you will find lots of information and kindred spirits on this site....I hope you keep coming back and find some places that feel like home.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #4  
On the wagon again

S/C/G: 201/188/155

We're glad to have you here! And as an English major, loved the title of your intro. :-)
Laurabelle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #5  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome I hope you don't run, but instead stay and celebrate your success with us ! Your loss already is wonderful! Good luck and I hope to see you around the forum
ItsMyTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #6  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurabelle5 View Post
We're glad to have you here! And as an English major, loved the title of your intro. :-)
That might be the most recognition that I've ever gotten from my major!

And thanks for the welcomes, everyone. You're all so nice .
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

And how on this pixelated earth did I miss this introduction?!

Welcome to 3FC

I'm awkward, too. Glad to meet you.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Gabe remember one thing, just engrave it in your brain that you are a winner and will set example for others to follow. So, for sake of others and for you, YOU Are Winning this battle.
I am 59 years old like a grandmom to you. So, I am taking liberty to tell you in this words. I am sorry, but do not mean to offend you.
Good luck girl, keep the chin up.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/159

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome Gabe! I lurked on this site for two years before working up the courage to post anything. I held off for several reasons—unsure of the etiquette, afraid I would inadvertently hurt someone’s feelings, didn’t think I had anything to add. I finally started posting because I wanted to be part of the community. The anonymity, too, has helped me feel freer to say what is on my mind. On sarcasm: it is a wonderful medium which unfortunately does not translate in the written word. I’ve often wished for a sarcasm font… Keep fighting the battle!!
ShoeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote