Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #1  

Default Man, I love my butter, sugar, flour, and eggs... but do I love my waistline more?

Hi there!

My first ever post, and I'm already terrified to be here, so I'd love some love and support

I googled "weight loss support," and found this site, touted as "famous weight loss support," so... here goes!

I'm 20, haven't had much trouble with my weight... until now. I used to hover around 140 lbs, but I've packed on 10 lbs in the past two months or so, and the scale just keeps on rising.

I know, I know. I've read through some threads and was blown away by all the AMAZING people here. Seriously, dropping 50 lbs? 100? More than 100?

I am awed by you all, and have so much respect.

I'd really just like to go back to my stable 140 lbs, but the 10 lbs... See, the problem is that when I first started gaining my few pounds, I became more calorie-conscious, but for some reason, this backfired, and I became an intense baker and carb, sugar, and fat lover!

I used to lead a really healthy lifestyle, eating healthy, exercising regularly, but now, I don't exercise, and I just inhale pastries like nobody's business.

I've developed a habit of starting the morning off right with some oatmeal or high-protein/fiber cereal, then devouring a huge, delicious lunch from a restaurant, then crashing into an endless 3-7 pm snackfest, stuffing myself with pop chips, strawberries, fudge, hummus, cheetos, pastries, cookies...

See, I try to keep some of it healthy, out of guilt, but I've become a walking disaster in portion control!

I've gone several days without eating dinner because I was just too FULL from all my snacking. I think I made a meal of Cheetos and Doritos a few times, and then, even when I was so full that my stomach hurt, I ate some KFC around 9 pm because I thought I should eat dinner.

Super long post. You're probably scoffing at me right now (I really hope you aren't).

I know that 10 lbs isn't much to start whining about, but I just don't want to see myself going higher, and I feel so hopeless! I've been trying to lose these 10 lbs for a month now, and it's not working. I just can't shake off my newly developed bad habits.

I've read tons of fitness articles, diet blogs, calorie counting guides, and healthy eating lists... I know what's good for me, and I know what's bad for me.

And yet, around 3 pm, when I tell myself that I'm going to snack on some almonds and prepare that cranberry spinach salad with salmon for dinner... I open the bag of Pop Chips, eat it all, decide that I want something sweet, and start chowing down on some cookies (which I had baked), then granola for deceptively healthy sweet, then hummus for savory, then carrot sticks out of guilt... and then it's 4 pm, and I'm too full, but decide to eat strawberries around 5 pm because all I can think about is food!

Anyways.

Thanks for reading this SUPER long post, and I'm glad to be here.

Hi.

bakersdozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #2  

Oh. And I've discovered some new bakeries around the area, and have started exploring ethnic bakeries, trying their best cookies/pastries/pies/etc to compare all the different ways that humans have managed to spin butter/sugar/flour/eggs.

Visiting new bakeries, buying four or five pastries each time, feeling guilty about them sitting on the counter, and eating two or three (at a time) so they don't spoil, and so I taste them when they're the freshest?

*newest bad habit*

I have a few sugar-coated Asian cream puffs and pink pan dulces staring at me from the kitchen right now, actually... sigh
Old 07-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there =)

Welcome to 3FC! We're glad to have you join us. No worries about a long post. Sometimes we have a lot of things on our minds!

So you're aiming to eat healthier and maybe drop 10 pounds? The Featherweights section may be good for you. There's also the Exercise area which could help get you moving more.

We do love to support people! We might all have different methods, but seeing others succeed is definitely encouraging!

Post wherever you're comfortable, and see you around the boards!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #4  
maria

S/C/G: 214/180/154

Height: 5ft 7

I hear you with the pastry thing , for me avoiding them completely so I don't have 5 is my way forward .
You seem to have all the knowledge you need to get back on the healthy eating path , so hopefully being here will help you with the willpower to do it .

Welcome !!
MIMI 193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Welcome! Congratulations on taking action when you are only 10 pounds away from a happy weight. Most people would not take that as a wake-up call and would let matters get much further away before taking action.

It seems like you are having trouble with binges. You might check out the Chicks in Control forum. It also sounds like you might be having trouble with carbs. You could try looking into the various low carb lifestyles. You might want to see a doctor to check if you are insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. It's not all that rare any more.

It would also be great if you found some inspiration to work some exercise into your lifestyle. I think the key is finding something you like, or at least don't hate. For me, that's walking, and as I am typing this, I am walking on my treadmill!

Good luck in your journey and welcome again!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #6  
Ready to be a hot mommy

S/C/G: 230/139/120

Height: 5 '3

Sugar is my enemy too! Why does it all have to be so delicious but so bad for you? I feel you on the snacking too. I get hungry some days pick up a box of crackers and before I know it I have eaten the whole box and then I'm too tired to exercise or eat anything after that.

I used to be able to pack it away too but, I think 2 kids changed that for me! To be honest I treat myself a little bit every other day or so (as long as I am good) to a bar of chocolate or a small bowl of ice cream. Being on a diet and being miserable is worse to be than being on a diet having a little indulgence and loosing weight a tiny bit more slowly.

I'd just say that keep your head in the right place and really look at what you are eating and those 10 pounds should drop off in no time! Good Luck!
GeekMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Hi! You've found a great place here with 3FC. Full of supportive people who love to answer questions and share advice, no matter how long the post or how repetitive the question (believe me, I've done both on numerous occasions and someone always answers!).

You've got the same problem I've started having ever since losing weight. Before weight loss I didn't snack...since then it's a horrible habit. Just like you, the need to eat SOMETHING hits me about 4 p.m. Most days I do fine with a little 10 calorie cup of sugar free Jello, but other times I have to make myself get out of the kitchen before it turns into chips, cheese, crackers and more.

My current weakness is....Cool Whip. It's dangerous to have in the house...I'll eat it with a spoon. It's horrible!

Anyway, welcome! Hope to see you around!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #8  

Thanks, everyone! I can feel the support already

Sigh, I caved again to the 4 pm snack cravings and ate around three different pastries, just to taste each one, then finishing them off... oh well.

Thanks for pointing out that I'm heeding warning signs at just 10 lbs Awareness is the first step, right? I'll get to a healthy eating lifestyle again... some day.

I get sick of types of food easily. Waiting for that to happen with sweets and pastries, haha