Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #1  
There is no spoon.

S/C/G: 278 / sig / 150

Height: 5'6"

Default 30 yrs old with 35 lbs to go...need a partner or two!

Hi guys! I finally broke down and set up an account. I am 30 yrs old, and I HAD lost over 100 lbs. I thought I was doing fine, but I regained 20 lbs since starting Med School. Stress is not my friend. T_T I have come to terms with my weakness - and I need a partner!

I'm looking for someone somewhere nearish my age who's somewhere nearish the same amt they want to lose. I'm not trying to be exclusive, but I think that someone similar to myself would help motivate me most effectively. I want to be part of the community, of course, but I really would like a partner (or several) to push each other and not let me wimp out >_<

I'm also not sure what the best way to get started here is, and would love any advice you can give!

My method has been purely calorie counting, with focus on a well balanced diet, and exercise. All of which I have not been doing enough of.

One issue that added to my weight struggle (I'm hungry more often ) is that I stopped eating meat. It's psychological - I can't stand to cook it, and after starting gross anatomy with our cadavers...I can't stand to put meat in my mouth.
I've made a huge effort to eat more beans, eggs, tofu, whole grains, dairy products (lactaid 4tw - intolerance sucks!), etc. I think I'm going to go buy a protein powder to add to things so that I'm not undershooting things, since "protein bars" often have a huge calorie load to them with fewer grams of protein.

But I digress. I need help, I've realized I can't do this alone. I started Med School at 176. That was an amazing time for me, and one of the best I've felt in my life. On top of the universe, starting my dream, and thinner than I'd been in over 15 years. But stress + weakness + poor self discipline = fail.

Being in a class full of hyper-healthy marathon runners and superthin girls is additionally tough. Doctor types tend to also be insanely fit...or underweight overachieving types
I'm the largest girl, and one of the most overweight overall in the class. There are only a couple of guys who are proportionally larger.
This makes having GAINED 20 lbs since we started school a year ago absolutely MORTIFYING.

I have a huge hurdle to jump to get where I want to be. My goal is reasonable, I don't want to be very thin. Just healthy. And stay there. I don't want to be a chubby doctor.

Pls help! Post or pm me!

Last edited by Sakurai; 05-27-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Sakurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #2  
saggzz

S/C/G: 222/205.6/170

Height: 5'9"

Good luck on your journey. I think your comment about people in med school being ultrafit marathon runners is interesting. All of the primary care doctors
I have ever had have been very overweight. Go figure!
saggzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC!

Losing weight while being extremely stressed or busy can be difficult. Have a look around, post where you're comfortable!

Congratulations on your work so far, you'll definitely get those 20 pounds off and be back in control! =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #4  
LGW
#justfortoday

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'

Hey Sukurai - I understand your struggle - I'm with you if you still need a buddy :-)
LGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/176/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm so excited that you posted here!

I'm almost 29, and have 25-30 pounds to lose. I've also been struggling lately.

AND! I'm a vegetarian/vegan. (Mostly vegan, but not 100% quite yet) So I'm hoping we might discuss that too. I have quite a few low-fat vegan recipes.
Also, have you ever tried rice, soy, almond or coconut milk? I recommend them! They would definitely help with any lactose intolerance, and they're healthier than animal-based milk.

Do you have any normal exercise routine? I have been lazy this summer, mainly because it has been over 100 degrees every day. Now, I do have a gym membership, but it's hard to get motivated to even go there when I'm seriously roasting all day, lol

Hope to hear from you!
fresno26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #6  
There is no spoon.

S/C/G: 278 / sig / 150

Height: 5'6"

Hey guys! Thanks for posting!! I haven't been here for a while, absorbed in school stuff.

I've kept to my plan recently!

I started jogging on the elliptical while reading. It's the BEST thing ever - I give myself that time as pure freedom without feeling stressed for what I need to get done or guilty for not reading for class. I absorb myself in what I'm reading and I let myself read as long as I want, as long as I'm jogging. I have been doing about an hour, 4.5 miles or so, almost every day. I can see my body reshaping itself, even though I

I can afford this hour now. I'm not sure how it will be when things get busier, but I will somehow make it work even if just 30 mins. It's become precious to me, and I feel better!

I haven't lost a single pound since June...which is frustrating when looking at the scale. But I've gained lots of muscle, toned, my clothes fit better, I jiggle less, and people who know me are telling me that I look great. That to me is win.

It's hard to get myself to go on the weekends. The gym is on campus, near my building, so it's easier when I'm already there... it worked fine when I went to the one on the way home from clinic this summer too. I think location is a big factor!

I'd love to swap recipes! I started eating some meat again, I got used to it again when I was on a missions trip in Peru (in June) in a poor area and I wasn't able to decide what my meals would be. But I really need to add more veg/vegan ideas to my menu, since I don't like eating meat too often. And I'm short on time always, so it's hard to cook well!!

Sakurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #7  

Hi Sakurai,

Thanks for sharing your story. I can definitely relate. I am 31 and pursuing medical school (currently in a pre-health program) so I understand how schooling can throw you offtrack a bit. Knowing that, I've come up with a few tricks to help stay in shape when there really is no time to work out. A lot of that is just incorporating mini exercises into my daily routine.

On the dieting end, I have a few meals that I eat over and over again that have really been effective in losing weight (however you might get bored with its repetitive nature, I know I am : ) I've found that eliminating foods that can make you fat (like white carbs) or prevent (or it least make it dang hard) to lose weight helps especially when working out is not possible.

Even though you haven't lost any weight, it looks like you are shaping out to look the way you want. If you have been building more muscle your weight would definitely increase and if you lost fat your weight would decrease. Looks like the two cancelled each other out for a net weight loss of zero, which is nothing to be discouraged about because you are making progress.

Also be sure to weigh yourself at the same time of day whenever you do weigh yourself. Weight fluctuates throughout the day so its been to weight yourself at the same time of time. I usually do it in the morning.

Hope this helps you.
Jetflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #8  
Ready to lose...

S/C/G: 172/172/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Sakurai,
I feel your pain! I'm 32, a Registered Nurse but currently back in school working on another degree. People in healthcare tend to be either extremly overweight or health-nuts. I want to be somewhere in the middle!

I would love to lose about 25-30 pounds. I'm not praying for a supermodel body, just healthy and comfotable for me!

I am having such difficulty sticking to any kind of program- eating or excercise. I would love to partner up and motivate eachother!

This is Day 1 for me~ TIME TO GET MOTIVATED!!
MegRN is offline   Reply With Quote