Looking for someone else who has roughly 30 pounds to lose

You're on Page 10 of 23
Go to
  • Newby with obstacles need buddies to actually lose weight this time.
    Hi all,
    I'm new here and have about 40 pounds to lose. I'm 35 this summer, have a ruptured disc in L5, a disc bulge in L4, high prolactin levels, on medication for it, and am trying to get pregnant (hence the meds for the prolactin level). So, the meds make you fatter, with back injury, not being able to do more than gentle walking makes me fatter, and I'm now feeling like it's now or never. I have to do something, I need help. My husband was doing weight watchers with me, it was wonderful having the support, and now he's over it. So...anyone have any ideas? I've done EVERY diet and nothing has stuck. Oh and unless I stick to a 1200 cal diet I won't lose anything since I have messed up my metabolism so badly with my dieting for 30 years....or that is what the docs are all telling me. I want to believe that I can do it, but I know I cna't do it alone. Anyone want to be buddies?
  • WendeeLou,

i talked w/ a few of my friends who were professional athletes and have moved into personal training.

the consensus is that your plateau is probably due to you following a routine. they suggested a drastic change in whatever you exercise routine has been. if you are currently using traditional gym methods to exercise, consider a yoga class, or some of the different types of martial arts.

also they say to follow suit w/ your diet.

this should "shock" your muscles and metabolism.

hth!
  • Hey fluffyfashionista,

I just started with a personal trainer here at a local gym. So far he has me doing things I have never done before! so that is good! Thanks for the advice! I am going to start South Beach this coming week I think, I have heard a lot of good things about it, and the first phase isnt far off from the way I eat now, so it shouldnt be too challenging.

ykpettengill- Welcome! I can relate to your obstecales, I have hypothyroidism which makes losing weight VERY difficult! Hopefully you can find support here, although this thread seems to be dying out.. There are plenty of others you can post on, or start your own!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Mothers Day, and if you are a momma- Happy Mothers Day!!
  • Hello friends!

UGH! I'm up 2.5 pounds this week. Boo! Back to 163.5 now. I ate SO MUCH food this weekend. Granted, most of it was still very healthy food, but I was just ravenous for some reason. OMG. Back on the wagon!
    It's supposed to be 100 here today. So I'm pretty glad I have a membership to a climate-controlled gym.

Wendee, how are you? Long time, no chat! We're busy moving!

Happy Monday, everyone!
  • Hi Everyone,

Trying not to jump on the scales everyday......must wait until Saturday for my weekly weigh-in. Everyday I dress I'm trying to gage whether my clothes feel less tight...so sick of wearing only half my wardrobe and looking longingly at my jeans that no longer fit....will resist buying the next size up because I determined not to stay at this weight.
    Hope everyone else is doing fine
  • Oh, we can't let this thread die! I've been following it every day but have been unable to post because my mom had knee surgery April 12 and had complications afterward. She's got all kinds of health issues (high cholesterol, high bp, multiple ulcers, ibs, arthritis, asthma, allergies) plus had been been on narcotics for the pain before the operation but somehow the surgical floor FORGOT to send the computer records of her meds over to the regular floor so for three days she was without all her meds plus her antidepressant and was curled up in her hospital bed groaning "This is awful. I just want to die." They told me it was just early dementia and it wasn't til I got really alarmed and started asking tough questions that they even realized she was without all those meds. Oh, and the cardiology consultant that day (because her vitals were all over the place) noticed the same morning and his only suggestion was to put her back on her bp meds. Duh. She's been confused and homebound since and I've been upside down trying to handle that plus my own family, but have read this thread every day when it comes to my email box and feel like finally I've found a group of women in the same boat I am. I never have been able to lose much weight at all since having kids, which is frustrating since I was so slim and athletic (118-135 pounds through my 20's). And now I'm at my lifetime max this a.m., 194.6, even more than when I was pregnant with my second child 11 years ago. Have seen what being overweight and inactive can do to your health (mom was in for a total knee replacement) and am determined to lose it this time.

I will commit to responding to this thread daily if others want to stick with it, and if you all move on would you mind letting me know where you go? I want to hear what you eat and do to be active and keep those calories under control, and feel like this group, if we work together, may be able to help each other get past that inability to get off our plateaus. Anybody else out there up to the challenge? I'm going to start TODAY aiming for 2 pounds a week. Just have to stop buying Haagen Dasz and ordering fries when stressed like I've been, for starters, and walking my 80pound goldendoodle who's missed me this month.
  • Will respond to recent notes you've wriitten in the past week or so this evening when I handle all my homebound mom's stuff (at least she's healing now and we're getting her meds under control so the confusion is clearing up... installing a hand held shower so she can start washing her own hair today. Yeah!)
  • Hey all ! Mind if I jump in?? I'm looking for Buddies too!! I am looking to drop between 30-40lbs...down 20 so far but got a ways to go....Starting Phase 1(again) of Sout Beach today. Had great results the first time, just kinda fell off the wagon. Turning 30 on Friday and feeling the weight a little more these days! 2 little girls look up to me, and I dont talk about feeling fat infront of them, because i dont wnat them to get that mind set at a younge age. I need to be a better example to them though so here I am.

I found out late last year(after years of being told its all in my head) that I have Metabolic Syndrome and RT3(my body creates reverse T3, your active thyroid hormone) so now I'm on Thyroid meds and feeling tons better. Now for the Metabolic Syndrome, not much they can do, just have to control it with diet or basically I will end up with diabetes..no thanks!!!

Just look for, and willing to offer a little support! I've trained for fitness compititions in the past and love lifting weights and wokring out...i just love food too!! Looking forward to the healthier future!!!
  • I don't want this thread to die either! I am so thankful for everyone's support!

Not gonna lie....I'm pretty stressed out right now. Moving, doing back-to-back closings, and am on call (24/7) for my job this week. Boo! I'm pretty sure i've been eating like a hog due to my recent stress. Can't help it. Going to have to put my life on the back burner for a couple of weeks, unfortunately.
  • Morning Ladies!! Of course I would never let a thread die off if someone was still using it! I just wasnt sure what was going on.

I know Fresno is moving (oh how I miss thee) So I am hoping she will be back soon (right, Fresno?)

As for me, I have been up and down like a roller coaster the last couple weeks- not only weight wise, but in my personal life. I am afraid my marriage is coming to an end. So I am trying to stay focused on the positives... Work, my son, working out, staying healthy and the good batch of friends I have. Our relationship has been an uphill battle, so this isnt really a surprise so to speak, but its still hard to deal with. I wonder if I am a terrible person because the thing I am most worried about at this point is financial. I just dont know how I will do it on my own. God always provides a way, so Ill keep trusting that!

As far as diet and exersice- I am on point! My trainer and I talked and I get to up my calories to 1500. I have been on 1200 so long though, I dont really know how to do it! haha!

How is everyone elses Tuesday going!?
  • Hi All,

Cold and rainy over here right now so cant get outside to walk each morning and evening.....looks like its going to be this way all week. Think its time to drag out the stationery bicycle from the garage and do a few sessions in front of the TV.
    Have been really good with the food for the last couple of days. Having the fruit smoothie for breakfast (orange juice, blueberries, Vit C) then some wholemeal toast with a poached egg.......turkey sandwich for lunch or baked beans on toast then vegetable soup for dinner. If I can hold this up until the end of the week, Saturday weigh in should be a happy time for me.
  • Hey WendeeLou, just read your post about your marriage.....so sorry to hear that things are not OK.....what a surprise, you sound like such an up-beat kind of person to have this kind of thing happening in the background. To tell you the truth, my marriage fizzled out quite a few years ago and although we're still together things are really not ok. We're staying together for financial reasons cause neither of us can survive without the help of the other if that makes sense. I'm kind of frightened to go it alone as well but as time goes by it seems like the sensible thing to do as I'm emotionally drained every day by the tension between two people who dont really like each other very much.

Good luck whichever way you go, maybe I might gain some inspiration from you to finally do something myself.
  • Celiene,
    My husband is a pathological liar and cheater. It makes it very hard.. because we cant seem to figure out why he does these things. It seems like he wants to be a good person and husband, but his addictions and desires get in the way. We got into an argument last night about financial issues (he got fired from his job a few weeks back) and I was letting him know how I felt about the relationship (seems like its always something, I find emails between him and another, he gets fired, unaccounted for PTO time Etc etc) I told him that I love him, but that if things didnt change, I didnt see how we could stay together. He didnt like that much, and left. Not ten minutes after, I logged on his Facebook (I keep tabs bc he is a cheater, our therapist suggested all passwords be shared so that life is an open book) and he had already messaged some gal he used to work with.. Never heard him mention her, but after reading their chat, I am pretty sure they have been "good friends" a while now. Anyway, I am just not sure I can come back from that. Obviously he still has the desires and the temptations will always be there. You know, the initial reason I decided to start losing weight was so that maybe I would be enough for my husband, as I have grown, I am starting to see that this was completley wrong and insecure of me, but in a way, I am glad it happened. I am not going to sit here and say that I dont love my husband or wish that things were different. I really do, but I just dont see how I can continue the marriage knowing that there are still other women he is at least trying to be involved with.
  • Wow....I have been in such a similar situation with cheating and lies as well....my husband had another girl on the side for the first two years that we dated...I was just so stupid not to see this as a big red flag...as time went on I found out about lots of others even after we married (big mistake marrying but 3 lovely children as a result). Last straw was him getting it on with my best girlfriend.....right in front of my eyes but I didnt/couldnt/wouldnt see it. I never really forgave him after that which was about 2 years ago. He lies so much i cant believe a word he says anymore but I still sort of love him and care about him but now Im beginning to care about myself more I guess. Still, its hard to break up with someone when you share children and you've been together so long. But I finally see him with my eyes wide open and dont like what I see. Cant trust him and dont believe him either, not a good way to live.
  • Oh, Wendee. I'm SO sorry to hear this! Obviously you've tried working things out, and it hasn't seemed to help much. I'm just so saddened! I hate to hear of anyone having problems. And it's NOT unreasonable for you to be thinking of the finances. I would be too!.. It's just something you've got to do. You've got to think about everything that will be changing. You're bright and ambitious, and I'm sure you'll figure something out. Maybe you could do a small apartment or rent a place with roommates or something? Either way, if you're fed up with what your husband is doing, you simply can't live an unhappy life where you're always having to question what he's doing. I have been there before, and there is nothing good about it. I'm so sorry!!