Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #1  
mandagrl

S/C/G: 268.4/248/199

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Smile Hi, my name is Amanda and I am a Fat Chick...

(Hi Amanda! Hi everyone!)

Hey ladies! As I said, I'm Amanda, Manda, Mom, Honey, Babe, YOU, girl, trainer, whatever you wanna call me, I will most likely answer to!

I have stumbled over this board before a few years ago and lurked a bit but never joined. I've been a member of a few message boards in the past and found them to be wonderfully insightful and very helpful with some specific things I was dealing with at the time, so I am sure I will find the same here. I'm excited to jump in and join you all!

Let's see-about me...I am 30 years old, born and raised in central Alabama. I'm married to J my highschool sweetheart, mommy to O, my 5 year old daughter and human to my three kitties Emmie, Rox and TD (short for Tiny Dancer-she's the baby and she thinks she's either a puppy or a 3 year old boy-basically, she's insane and hilarious).

I'm a trainer for a bank antifraud software. Love my job. I've been in banking/training for about 7 years. I also do freelance photography. That was something that started as something to do while O slept when she was a newborn. I'd just take pictures because I didn't have anything else to do! It turned into something I got kinda good at. My best friend trusted me with her engagement photos about a year and a half ago and since then, I've been doing it for friends and family on the side. I absolutely love taking pictures!

About my weight-I've been overweight pretty much my whole life. I was a normal sized small child I guess-I really started to gain around 5 or 6 years old. I don't remember a point in my life where I can honestly say I was "thin". I think the smallest I ever achieved was when I was 11 years old and fit tightly into a pair of "relaxed fit" size 10 jeans. Other than that, I've always hovered from a 16 to a 24 in pants.

When I was 17, my father died of a heart attack. Oddly enough, he wasn't even overweight. He was a victim of genetics, salt, stress and smoking. All of those also reside in me. I am currently on meds for blood pressure, anxiety and cholesterol. I know that if I don't make some serious and permanent changes, I will die. It's true and it's honestly, just that simple. I'd like to see my daughter grow up and spend my golden years with my sweet husband, so I am beginning again to get on the track to being and staying healthy.

I've done many diets. Starting when I was 11, my pediatrician put me on 1600 cals/day (which is the summer that I wore those relaxed fit, but still tight size 10 pants with PRIDE! ), naturally, I gained most of that back. When I graduated high school in 1998, I was a size 16 and weighed probably around 180. Funny how I thought I was SO fat back then but would give anything to be there now...When I got married in 2000, I was at around 220 and a size 18 or 20. I remember getting upset buying my wedding dress because they ran 2 sizes too small and I had to get a 24. I thought-I'll never be that size. (Yeah, I made it to that size eventually). When I got pregnant with O in 2005, I was 255 lbs. When I gave birth, I was 280. A week after giving birth, I was 250! I was on cloud 9! Well-fast forward to Christmas Eve of 2007, I got on a friends scale and I had hit 294. Lots of stress from being a mom, comfort eating and binging had gotten me to that all time high.

I had tried LA Weighloss (with success as long as I was on it-once I stopped it all piled back on) and Weight Watchers (same situation) at this point and couldn't keep it off. I had and still have bad habits to break and truly, a sort of eating disorder to fight. I sleep binge. According to my mom, my dad did it and now my younger brother also does it. We wake up, eat and go back to bed without realizing what we've inhaled. I've been known to take in about 1000 cals in my sleep. I take meds to help me stay asleep, but they don't always work.

Anyway-back to Christmas 2007-I was a size 24 (tight!) at that point and felt like poo all the time. I hated myself in photos and just wasn't happy. I vowed to do something about it. I joined the local YMCA and put myself on a diet of moderation and cardio at least 3, if not 5 days each week. I started getting involved and walked my first 5k in December of 08. By the next year, I'd completed 6 5k's, but all of them walked because I was still too heavy to run. I lost about 30 lbs on my own. I did eventually lose momentum I went to the doctor in tears. I know I am addicted to food. He put me on adipex, a strong appetite supressant with amphetamines in it. It worked. I'd go ALL day without eating (note: not, not, not a good thing!), however, after about 6 mos, it lost it's potency. I'd lost about 20 more lbs and went off of it hoping I could keep on and do it myself. I kept working hard. I started a small group at my church for people to come to the Y 2 mornings a week and work out with me. One woman joined me everytime. We became great friends. She encouraged me and I still do the small group every week to this day.

Since the beginning of that journey on Christmas eve, I reckon I've probably lost a total of about 70-75 lbs and have gained back 45. I am starting again, today because I know I CAN lose it. I know if I work at it-it will work. So, with all of that said-thank you for having me! I look forward to starting this journey again with all of you! Here's to 2011 and getting healthy!

PS: Yes, I am a SUPER long winded writer-comes from the job of writing instructional docs all the time! lol
mandagrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

Welcome!! This is a great forum for support and advice! Stick with it and you'll do great!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #3  

Thanks for sharing and good luck with attaining your goals.....this is a great forum with people who will support you....stay strong and keep moving!
DietRightDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #4  
momofboyz97

S/C/G: 292/292/155

Height: 5ft4in

Good luck to the new you! I am new here and need a lot of support as well. I have over 100 lbs to lose. I too have tried many diets. This time I am just going to portion control and try to do some sort of exercise. You can do it!
momofboyz97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #5  
Zumba Freak :)

S/C/G: 267/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Hey Amanda!

Looks like you have a pretty incredible personality. You also seem like the person who sticks to something if trying hard enough. You wouldn't be a trainer if you didn't do something well, right? I believe you can find a diet that works for you and ROCK IT. Adding a little exercise into the mix.. and you will start a healthy lifestyle for sure.
I hope the best for your journey and keep us posted.
Also, there is much support on this forum -- I would recommend you taking advantage of it. These members have been HUGE inspirations for me and I am sure they can be for you, too.
martha328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #6  
mandagrl

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies! I can't wait to dive in.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #7  
20 something

S/C/G: 215/189/165

Height: 5'9

Im new here (this is my first reply) I find alot of myself in your story. I'm 26 and was a couple of pounds heavier then average when I was real little (also taller then average) then started getting chubby around 4/5 and was "fat" by 11/12. In the 7th grade they made everyone line up and weigh in. I was 180 lbs when most of my friends were barely braking the 100 mark. By 17 I was 216 and it's been a battle to get to the correct weight for my height. I still to this day have never reached my goal and I try every year.. On and off all year. I really hope u reach your goal as I hope finally to reach mine!
CaliBeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #8  
hand in the cookie jar

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Height: 5"4

welcome new here too, just trying to find my way around but if I can help you, just let me know...Good luck
mslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #9  

Welcome!

I must say, I really enjoyed reading your entire post. We can tell so much about your personality and humor just by that one post. I especially loved the way you described your family.

I am fairly new myself to this forum, but the support you will find here will really help you and motivate you to achieve your goals.

I would strongly suggest going through the Goal and Mini Goal subforums. I always thought I was the only person in the world who has 60 pounds to lose, and thought that there was no way that kind of weight loss is possible. But on this forum I've seen that some lovely ladies have lost all that and more and shown me that it IS indeed possible.

Good luck and hope to see more of you!
Jittery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #10  
mandagrl

Thank you ladies! I am loving the support and information in this forum! I can't wait to get to know everyone better. Weight loss is such a stinking struggle so its truly a blessing to know so many people who are at least in this marathon with me!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Amanda!

We're glad you've joined us. Please make yourself at home. If there's anything we can help you find here at 3FC, just ask!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #12  

Hi there!

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers to you!

pattynelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #13  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm a newbie, too. 3FC is such a great resource. Wishing you success!!!!
joyyoj is offline   Reply With Quote