A Foot in The Door

• Hey Everyone!

I stumbled upon this forum while looking for some online support or community where I could share my weight loss journey and find some added motivation from those who are undertaking the same thing. Hopefully I'll be able to find that here!

I've been bigger for as long as I can remember. But in high school and my first two years of college my frame was more muscular and athletic than fat. I was strong and my weight didn't bother me. I ran cross country, played basketball and threw discus in track in high school and played two years of competitive basketball at a junior college.

But after my sports days were over and I had nothing to do in college other than study and party...I soon found myself getting bigger and packing on the pounds that came from an unchecked diet, little exercise and weekends of excessive drinking. And as the scale went up, my mood and happiness suffered and I spent a lot of time staying in, watching movies and exaserbating the problem by indulging to curb my emotions.

But it wasn't until this last year that I started noticing my size in pictures and by looking at the wardrobe in the closet. I wasn't just heavier anymore...I felt fat for the first time in my life.

So I set a date of June 14th, 2010 to begin my lifestyle change and get my body back. I started running, motivating myself by training for a 5k using an online training plan. It started off walking and eventually I finished running my first 5k since HS in July. I've run 3 more races since then. I've also in the last month taken up kettlebell workouts.

As far as dieting, I don't consider it dieting, but becoming more conscious of what I eat. I started eating a daily healthy breakfast (I used to hate eating breakfast at all) and for the rest of the meals, I try to keep them below 350 cals and try to eat fresh instead of processed foods.

I haven't been perfect, there have been a few weeks spread out since June where I've fallen off and because of convenience stopped for a fast food meal. But I've been able to lose 29lbs in the process and drop 2 pants sizes. I feel better and have been told by friends and family that I look good too, and that has made me feel great and stay motivated!

My ultimate goal is to get to 150lbs. I know I have a long way to go still, but I'm hoping that through my at home support and by joining this community, I'll be able to attain my goal in 2011!
  • Welcome to 3FC! I think one of the key dictums on this site is how "dieting" really needs to be thought of as "changing ones lifestyle" - and it sounds like you already made that connection.
  • Quote: My ultimate goal is to get to 150lbs. I know I have a long way to go still, but I'm hoping that through my at home support and by joining this community, I'll be able to attain my goal in 2011!
    We share the same goal. I want to be 150 as well.. and then move to 140.
    Stay focused and motivated and you can do this!

• Hey there, and

Wow, congrats on your work so far!

You might want to check out our Calorie Counters forum, since it looks like your plan is at least partially calorie based. We also have groups by age, and the 100 lb club, for those on their way to losing or who have lost around 100 lbs or more.

Most important, stick around, keep posting, and keep going. I can't wait to get to know you better!