Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 239/229/160

Height: 5'7"

Default It's midnight... I should really be in bed

Hey everyone, My name is Simi. I am a 27 year old pre nursing student, and I've been overweight since about the age of 19... I finally decided to do something about my weight when I broke out of the 220's and realized I weighed 239lbs... that was 2 weeks ago, I'm proud to say that my weight loss has been off to a great start, I've lost 10lbs in two weeks on the Thurman diet.

Yay for water weight!

I think it's really sad that when I was much younger people made fun of me for being too thin... and throughout high school I thought I was obese and disgusting to look at. I've tried to lose weight multiple times, and I've even shaved off a few dress sizes, but they always come back because I've never lost the weight purely for myself.

I think that, becoming healthy for me and no one else, is more of my goal than the actual loss of weight is.

I'm really excited to go through this journey with all of you... I think online support groups are a phenomenal idea; people can learn so much from each other if they just give it a chance.

Here's to a healthy lifestyle, and a happy life.
PaxilPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/170/128

Height: 5'5

Simi,

I'm so glad your here! This is a great forum.

10 pounds is an awesome start, and congrats for doing it for yourself!
katybug12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

you should only be doing it for yourself! some perks come along the way (new dress sizes/clothes), but at the end of the day, your body is where you live in and trying to keep it as healthy and happy should be #1!

good luck!
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Welcome and congrats on the 10 lbs! That is an awesome achievement. Keep up the hard work!!
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Simi, and welcome! I am glad you are joining us.

I wish you the best on your weight loss journey!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #6  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome and congrats on a great start!
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW200lbs/1stG190lbs/GW140

Height: 5"3

Talking I am pre-nursing too!!!

Hi Semi,

I just joined today and am making my introduction as well. I am starting nursing school in september and really want to get back into shape before school starts. I have struggled with my weight all my life, but managed to lose about 60lbs between the ages of 17-19. I then put all the weight back on again and more. I just broke the 200 mark the other day and decided it was time to do something about it. Maybe we could be nursing/ weightloss buddies!
teresa1083w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #8  

Thank you everybody for all the warm wishes and support!

Teresa, that sounds like a great idea! What type of nursing degree are you interested in? I'm hoping to become a practitioner with a focus in pediatrics... I just think I need to be healthy myself before helping others reach their health goals.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #9  

I will be starting a BSCN degree in nursing i just got accepted for a September start on Feb 1st. In canada we have to do a full 4 year bachelor program in order to sit for our registration exams. I wish that we had the 2 year accelerated program like you guys. Like you i would also like to specialize in pediatrics. What type of program will you be taking? I think you guys have ADN/BSCN type programs, but they are two years?

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you need to be healthy in order to take on the role of being a nurse. I feel like i should be a good role model for my patients.

I have decided to try the Suzanne Somers "somersizing program". Basically it is low carb, but not as extreme as Atkins. You dont have to track calories or carb grams it just uses the principles of food combining. You can only have meat/fat and veggies together or Vegies and Carbs together. In this program you can't mix carbs fats and meats. Your supposed to only eat until you are full and cut out all refined carbs. If that doesn't get me anywhere i think i will go back to weight watchers. I just didn't like all of the writing and tracking that you had to do.

What program will you be following?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/190/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Simi. Ten pounds in only two weeks is spectacular! You're doing a fabulous job. ^_^
Rythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #11  

Thanks Rythm!

Teresa... I'm going for my BSCN as well and truth be told I've been working on it for three years now. (Granted I had some serious health issues the first two years) While the system itself is two years there are A LOT of required credits you need before you can even begin... and with the idea of acceleration, a lot of the time you end up cramming so much into such a short time that it becomes overwhelming. I would much prefer the longer slower program!

As for dieting... I've never heard much about the Suzanne Somer's diet... though it sounds very intriguing! I'm doing the Michael Thurman program. It's a balance of all food types (except dairy... yay for vitamins.) in small portioned meals throughout the day. You eat, based off your body type, about every two to three hours. My mother lost about 80lbs pounds on the diet and was completely satisfied and healthy through it all so there must be something right to it!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #12  

Yeah, you right i never really thought of it that way. I suppose having 4 years to absorb the info is better than only having 2.... I guess i am just anxious. I will be moving 8 hours away from my boyfriend of 5 years to go to school. I will be home in the summers between April and September i just wish i wouldn't have to be away for so long.

Wow!!! that sounds very promising!! Is there anywhere i can find the info online or do you have to purchase program to get all of the details? It sounds like it might be something worth looking into.

What is your take on weighing yourself? I have heard some people say you should do it every morning because it helps keep you motivated even when you see small changes everyday. Others say once a week is better?