Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/188/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Help with starting again

Once again I am getting ready to start a diet and exercise program. I have no idea how many times I have started this journey, but want this to be my last time. I now have approximately 60 pounds to lose to reach my goal. There are so many reasons why I need to lose, but focus and motivation are getting hard to come by. Have lost and regained my excess pounds so many times in the last 40 years I can't even begin to count them. For whatever reason, when I get close to goal (usually within less than 10 pounds) I am like a starving person. Although there is no physical hunger, there is an almost impossible to resist urge to fill my self. So to begin this weight loss attempt, I have the goal of my daughter's wedding in one year. I want to be slim and beautiful for her wedding. To make that happen, I need to start now. Not so impossible a goal, only 5 pounds a month. If someone out there can give me a few suggestions on how to MENTALLY face my food problems, please let me know. I want to succeed this time. Want to start changing old, bad habits. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Lainey 717; 10-31-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Lainey 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Hi and welcome to 3Fc.

You've come to the best site for tips, advice, motivation and support.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #3  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome - and yes, you've given yourself lots of time. As you have said you're a rebounder (you'll get lots of empathy on this site), just keep that in mind as you are working on losing the weight this time. Try to make changes that you like, find lower calorie foods and food prep methods that don't make you feel as if you are sacrificing anything, so that you can maintain afterwards. Also, work on finding an exercise plan that fits your lifestyle and makes you feel good. I never thought I would, but with the help of this site, I think I've got one!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #4  

Welcome to 3FC.

Do you have any weight loss programs?
Sophia Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

There is a poster here who has excellent posts and advice. Her name is Rockin Robin. She will tell you that when she started she wasn't going on a diet--she was going to change her life--and the way she ate--forever. At least, that's what I understand from what she says and I think it's the only way to do this.

I choose right now to avoid certain foods--just because I'm impatient and I want the scales to go down quickly. I also need to re-train my taste buds--I need to develop different habits--that's what a "diet" is for me--an intensive re-training and re-programming session.

I am on an eating program for life. I've only been doing this particular phase--the losing/reprogramming stage for a month or so--but I have learned so much.

There are many books out there which deal with the "mental" aspect--Judith Beck is one (and there is a section of this board dedicated to those using her approach)--there's a book called Yhe Thin Commandments by Stephen Gullo which I'm reading right now--he's great. There's Phil McGraw.

Hope that helps.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #6  

Welcome Lainey717!

First of all, you ALREADY are a "beautiful" person! Beauty comes from the soul; not the surface. "Slim" is something superficial (albiet, VERY desired by our culture).

I can relate entirely to your situation. I have lost and regained the same 50ish pounds over, and over, and over again for nearly 30 years now. I too want this to be the last time that I face this battle. It used to be that my desire to lose was almost strictly---vanity. Now, as I am getting older, and heavier, I can feel the effects on my health and body.

The "almost impossible to resist urge to fill yourself"... you, my dear, hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!! We eat to comfort ourselves. Deprivation can not sustain itself. If we feel like weight loss is like suffering (however good the benefits feel), we will eventually seek to soothe those "wounds".
I, myself, need to overcome the urge to pamper myself with food and alcohol.

I would gladly walk with you on this journey. Welcome. Good luck. And, PM me if you ever need!
blueenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Lainey, Welcome and good luck. I notice our starting weight is the same although I am a little shorter. My story was a lot like yours until I just got sick and tired of it and started counting calories. I have been at maintenance for 18 months, You can do it, too. The fact that you are here is a good beginning.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/188/135

Default Off to a good start

Hi All, thanks for all of your words of encouragement. I am exercising now, walking my beautiful old mutt around our neighborhood. She is a pound rescue as are all of my animals. 15 years young and I love to take her 'round the block. But realize at our slow pace, it is not doing me much good. I have been walking on a treadmill now for about three weeks. Have worked up to 20 minutes and am walking at a slow pace, but steady. Have not dieted as such, just trying to think about what I am eating and why. Occassionally I will give my self a treat ( Klondike bars usually ) but that 6 pack in my freezer has lasted almost a month. Normally they were lasting about a week ! I know I am an emotional eater and sweets seem to be my downfall. Always were, candy especially. But has been two weeks since I bought a chocolate bar, AND still is sitting on my dresser. I have lost almost 5 pounds at this point, but am facing a challenge. We are leaving this Friday to go and celebrate our 40th anniversary in Fort Collins with our daughter. So will challenge myself to think about each bite and why I am eating. But the real challenge is to come home on Tuesday and get back with the program. Thanks for the suggestion of Rockin Robin. Will go check out her suggestions. Today, was a good day, ate healthy and ate when I was hungry. Funny, hunger is something I don't feel a lot. And have learned to not fear it. I can be hungry for a little while, it will not kill me. I need to learn to listen to my body telling me it is time for fuel. A friend puts it this way "Eat to live, don't live to eat!" Thanks again for all the encouragement. I already have inspiration in your examples. Will check back in when I am back home. Bye for now :-)
Lainey 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #9  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

i can totally relate to the start again and stop again!! i also have started countless times. but this time i'm getting really serious by joining this amazing supportive website!!

i wish you all the best and this time you will do it!!!

well when i feel hungry. i dont ignore it, but realise my body is hungry for a reason. so according to the gabriel method. i eat something healty. like a piece of fruit.

have a great trip! and dont worry if you've spoilt yourself whilst your away. its always hard to diet whilst on vacation. when you come back you can be rearing to go!!

we're all here with you, to be with you every step of the way!

Last edited by Echo; 08-13-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #10  

Welcome and good luck on your weight loss goals! Your daughter's wedding is an excellent motivation!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote