Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #1  
Mary

S/C/G: 170/164/128

Height: 5'2/5'3

Default Teenage girl needing motivation:o)

Hi, all!My name is Mary. I'm 16 years old and a junior in high school. This is probably the 3rd time I've posted an introduction on this board, but this time, I wantto follow through with my weight loss goals. This may get long, but I really want to give a detailed history, maybe more for myself than anyone else.
My weight gain started the summer before fifth grade. I was going to a school far from my home, and there weren't many young kids in my neighborhood. Therefore, I didn't get out too much, and I had yet to meet some kids in my new community. I stayed in, eating and watching TV for most of the summer. I went from 78 to about 105 pounds by the end of the summer. I remember stepping on the scale and seeing the numbers creep up, but it didn't really bother me at first.
Throughout the year, my weight didn't really bother me. It was still climbing upward, but I wasn't quite old enough to realize how I was looking (terrible).
Sixth grade came along, and I started school at the public elementary school near my house. I was about 120 by the time I started sixth grade, so I was wearing about a size 9 jean and I was about 5'1. I appeared chubby, and I didn't really get teased much. I gained ten more pounds that year because for my safety patrol job I was working in the school cafeteria. That meant cafeteria food every day, and then some!
My weight really started to bother me that year, and I'd try to conceal it with big, baggy sweatshirts tied around my middle. Little did I realize, they only made me look bigger!
In middle school, I only gained about 5 pounds, but I never lost. I expanded into a size 11 pant size, and I made a bunch of pathetic attempts to lose weight.That summer, I started playing tennis in an attempt to get active, but I was still eating too much.
High school started, and I weighed about 150 in my freshman year. I tried Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, but I really didn't have the drive to do anything.
Right now, I know I weigh in the 160-170 range. I haven't weighed myself in awhile, (ever since I made the last ticker). I'm 5'3 and I wear a size 13 in pants. (12 in womens).
I'd like to count calories and exercise in order to lose weight. I already play rugby three days of the week (an awesome, exhausting workout) but I'd like to try running more, and possibly some fitness classes. My goal weight is 128, and hopefully a size 6/7 in pants.

Now that that's over)Any other teens out there?
maresquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #2  
the skies way bigger.

S/C/G: 66/61/50

Height: 5'3"

Hihi and welcome to 3FC! I'm kinda new myself too, just joined not too long ago. It's great that you've decided to start when you're 16! First of all, it's a fantastic age to lose weight, because when you give the littlest effort, the weight just drops off. I'm only five years older and already I'm feeling the difference in how fast I can lose weight.

Hop around the forums! It's great to have you around.
lixximajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

you can remember when you were in the 5th grade??? WOW! LOL! of course I am old so it was like a million years ago for me and just a fog for me.

I just wanna say lose the weight now when you are young it is infinitely more easier to do it when you are younger don't wait until you are OLD like me! LOL! Don't put your body through all the abuse!

Just remember that ALL successful diets have one thing in common for them to be successful. You burn more calories than what you take in.

Calorie counting is a good way to go. It is the way I am doing it and so far it is working.

First off I write down everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) I eat and I and figure out how many calories it is and I write it in a food journal. Then I keep it under 1800 calories a day and in your case it might be a lower amount.

I do an aerobic exercise everyday of at least an hour and thats it.

You can do it! The hardest part is just sticking with it and never quitting until you reach your goal!

good luck!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #4  
Mary

Thank you both!
Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/194.4/135

Height: 5'4"

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/170/150

Height: 5'10

hi!

my names Carrie im new too and im 19 years old, so im still a teen lol..

let me know if you need any tips or advice or just need someone to talk to..
good luck !
CarrieJcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/160/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi Mary!

Good luck on your weight loss journey! I'm not in high school anymore, but I'm 18-years-old and still a teenager.
PostIts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #8  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

S/C/G: 359/319/160

Height: 5.3

Wink

Hi Mary andto 3fatchicks,
So glad you have decided to meet this head on. Great job on facing your demon. You will be a great inspiration to other teenagers out there and who knows maybe even a role model.

I agree with Flatiron, make sure you write down every single piece of food you put in your mouth, you will be so surprised and this also makes you accountable for what you do. When you see it on paper, somehow it really becomes real. You sound like such an energetic young lady, so with making better food choices for your self and your excerising , you will do just fine.

Glad you did not wait until you are old like me. But guess what, if I can make progress and I have, so can you. Can it get a WOOT WOOT I will keep checking in on you and you stay focused and true to yourself. You will do just fine. Now go get em' girl

Aggie/Old enough to be your Mom
colormerd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #9  
Mary

Thank you four very much! I'll definitely keep in contact!It's nice to have people nearer to my age) And it's okay that colormerd is old enough to be my mom, you've certainly done well, and I'm sure I can learn from you. I did the initial weigh in this morning, so it all starts here!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #10  
Queen Cynic

S/C/G: 275/255/135

Height: 5'5"

Mary,

I'm about 10 years older than you are, so as far as losing weight when you're 16, I don't know much about that, but your introduction really resonated with how I felt when I was 16. I did pretty well, my senior year, of trying to get a hold of my bad eating and (lack of) exercise habits, but when I went to college, that all went down the tubes.

I don't have any fantastic advice, except that if I had it to do over again, I would have made the life-style changes that I needed to make in order to get healthier before I spiraled out of control. There is so much information out there on what to eat and what not to, what to do for physical activity, commercials about weight-loss supplements that aren't really healthy.

I think it's great that you want to be proactive and I hope that you are able to achieve your goals.

One summer during college, I started to go to the gym every day. I rode the bikes there or did the elliptical machines and weight-training. I tried to look at food as fuel for my body and abide by the philosophy "Eat to live, don't live to eat," which was rough because I love cooking and preparing food. But at that point, I had more energy than ever before, and I lost 30 lbs and 3 pants sizes in only a couple of months.

At any rate, there are a lot of great tips, stories, and recipes on here. Good luck to you.

Last edited by LitaScarlett; 03-22-2009 at 08:15 AM.
LitaScarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #11  

hey~~i am new here~~nice to see you!!
yeahpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #12  
Aiming to be a better me

S/C/G: 310/310/130

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maresquare View Post
Hi, all!My name is Mary. I'm 16 years old and a junior in high school. This is probably the 3rd time I've posted an introduction on this board, but this time, I wantto follow through with my weight loss goals. This may get long, but I really want to give a detailed history, maybe more for myself than anyone else.
My weight gain started the summer before fifth grade. I was going to a school far from my home, and there weren't many young kids in my neighborhood. Therefore, I didn't get out too much, and I had yet to meet some kids in my new community. I stayed in, eating and watching TV for most of the summer. I went from 78 to about 105 pounds by the end of the summer. I remember stepping on the scale and seeing the numbers creep up, but it didn't really bother me at first.
Throughout the year, my weight didn't really bother me. It was still climbing upward, but I wasn't quite old enough to realize how I was looking (terrible).
Sixth grade came along, and I started school at the public elementary school near my house. I was about 120 by the time I started sixth grade, so I was wearing about a size 9 jean and I was about 5'1. I appeared chubby, and I didn't really get teased much. I gained ten more pounds that year because for my safety patrol job I was working in the school cafeteria. That meant cafeteria food every day, and then some!
My weight really started to bother me that year, and I'd try to conceal it with big, baggy sweatshirts tied around my middle. Little did I realize, they only made me look bigger!
In middle school, I only gained about 5 pounds, but I never lost. I expanded into a size 11 pant size, and I made a bunch of pathetic attempts to lose weight.That summer, I started playing tennis in an attempt to get active, but I was still eating too much.
High school started, and I weighed about 150 in my freshman year. I tried Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, but I really didn't have the drive to do anything.
Right now, I know I weigh in the 160-170 range. I haven't weighed myself in awhile, (ever since I made the last ticker). I'm 5'3 and I wear a size 13 in pants. (12 in womens).
I'd like to count calories and exercise in order to lose weight. I already play rugby three days of the week (an awesome, exhausting workout) but I'd like to try running more, and possibly some fitness classes. My goal weight is 128, and hopefully a size 6/7 in pants.

Now that that's over)Any other teens out there?

Hey Mary, 1m 17 :-) and I feel your pain. I started gaining weight at the summer of 5th grade because I had a bad bike accident and took of the skin of my face, so i was like bed ridden.. I gained about 30ish pounds that summer and went to high school around 160. I became bulimic and went down to 140 but then quit being so and went to 180. The following year junior year I was 180-190 but I had mono and suffered depression so I gained 60 pounds and now im 240 so I need to lose weight.

Sorry about my intro lol. Well theres no doubt in my mind that you can reach your goals, as long as you work hard for it. I might not be the same weight as you, but I am close to your age so I really know what its like to be a teenager and feel like the heavest one in the room. The persuasion of being thin is over powering. It seems like you have to be thin to be happy. Maybe its true, but I dont know. Cuz I dont remember when I was thin.

You can do it hunn. You can. Just believe in yourself. If you ever want to talk. Im here for you

Take care babe
shatteredfallendove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #13  
No description available.

Welcome to 3FC! Surf around and settle in! We have subforums based on age, eating plan, exercise and more. I'm glad you're here!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote