Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Hello to all from Mass

Hi, my name is Jessica, and I am a social worker from Massachusetts. I have recently decided that I want to do something about my weight. I have always been bigger. When I was a freshman in high school, I weighed close to 200 lbs. At that point, I did not necessarily decide to lose weight, but I did get involved in sports and activities, and by my junior year, I was down to my lowest weight of 150. Once i started losing weight, I became obsessed with it. I ate under 1000 calories a day and worked out often. I want to get back into that state of mind (that was over 12 years ago and I am now 210). I have always worked out, but have not been pushing myself. I tend to do 45 minutes on the elipticle a day with no weight training. Does anybody have any recomendations for weight training? I definately have problems with food now. I eat whatever I want, and that is the main thing I am trying to change. I actually have days that I plan that I am going to be lazy and eat bad food. I decided a few days back that I was going to start counting calories again. I am trying to eat under 1600 calories a day. It is hard right now. I feel hungry all the time. I am hoping that after my body gets used to it, that feeling will go away. I hope to reach 170lbs, and I hope to lose 10lbs before I go away the first week of April. I hope that I can stick to everything this time
raspswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #2  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jessica...I'm from MA too!

For strength training I often use the resistance bands. I like them because they are easily portable & I'm on the road for a few days most weeks. There is a whole section here on 3FC on different types of exercise...maybe you can get some ideas from there.

You mentioned that you've been working on counting calories. A LOT of people lose weight that way. I think it's important, especially in the beginning to have some sort of weight loss plan to help you with that. What I mean is that one could have donuts & pizza for their 1600 calories & that would not be good or healthy. Trying to figure out 1600 cal worth of good food can be hard to do on your own at first so maybe you could take a peak at the many weight loss plans here & see what might interest you. Plus, if you are on a particular plan there is a lot of support & a place to ask questions & get ideas. Just a thought.

Good luck on your weight loss journey & welcome to 3FC!
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #3  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Jessica! Nice to meet you!
Yeah, I know what you mean about being really hungry when you start limiting your calories. But after a few days, my body did adjust to what I was eating. The biggest problem for me is choosing not to eat when I am feeling bored or lonely or stressed.
Hope you stick around and keep updating us on your progress!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey Jessica -

Have you seen the "Ladies who Lift" area? they have nots of information about weight lifting, and are very helpful to people new to strength training. It really makes a difference in the way your body looks.

You may want to visit the Calorie Counters forum, also...it is a great place to discuss calories and different ways to get the most from every one.

Wherever you post, just settle in and keep posting. Can't wait to get to know you better!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #5  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Welcome from another MA girl (I'm from Western MA when I'm home and Eastern MA when I'm at college )! This is a great community and I hope you find your niche!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the forum, Jessica!
Social work is stressful. It's hard taking care of yourself when you're looking after others.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote