Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #1  

Red face I'm new.. I want to lose 35 LBS!!!

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to join a weight loss support community.. I'm sure everyone knows how hard it is to do it alone...

Anyways. My name is Nina, I'm 19 and I'm from Massachusetts. I'm a sophomore in college.. and pretty much 90% of the girls here are AT MOST a size 8!! (At least that's how I feel). I'm currently 175 lbs, 5'6.. and size 13 in juniors.. I'm so sick of being the heavy girl and yo-yo dieting..

For the past couple of months I haven't been trying to hard to lose the weight, I hadn't started exercizing until Dec. 1st.. I basically eat according to the food groups (except meat.. I'm a vegetarian). And as far as exercize.. OK this is really embarrassing... but I RUN in my dorm room..yes..I run..! Like i'm going for a run outside.. I usually do this for 20 minutes (I try to do it every day), and when I have the extra stamina I do 30 minutes.

PLEASE HELP ME!
ciaonina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Nina, and

I only know of one way to end the "yo yo" dieting cycle...making changes to your lifestyle. If you decide that you want to be healthier, you can make those changes. Weight loss will be a bonus, but you'll also be getting healthier!

My dorm room was SO small, you could barely turn around! But if you have the room, go for it! You might also check out whether there is a gym on your campus with free or reduced cost membership for students...if you HAVE the gym there, take advantage! I wish I had when I was in college.

Most of all, keep posting. We have quite a few college students on here, and you face your own challenges, but everything is easier if you support eachother.

Can't wait to hear more from you soon.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Nina! =] We're all here to help one another and inspire each other, I'm glad you're here!

I'm originally from Massachusetts and went to college there too, if you don't mind me asking, what school do you attend? I went to Fitchburg State College up near New Hampshire in Fitchburg, MA. I'm happy to see another young, Massachusetts girl! I'm 21, so we're close. =D

We also have similar pasts. I was never the skinny, skinny girl. I had lots of friends in college MUCH smaller than me. And of course it made me feel very self conscious. And I was big into yo-yo dieting. And I also found college dieting to be incredibly difficult at first. That is, until I discovered that almost all colleges will prepare a meal just for you. You're paying enough for your meal plan, they have to listen! Trust me. You will not inconvenience them, they're use to it. Especially being a vegetarian, they understand you need specifics.

Also, does your school not have a gym? If not, maybe there is a gym nearby the campus that you can join? Sometimes gyms that are near colleges offer student discounts. I'd look into it. But in the mean time, I'm glad you found a creative way to exercise in your room! =D

I wish you so much luck with your dieting and new lifestyle. I've been in your shoes and I know how hard it can be. So, best of luck and keep us updated!!
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #4  
move...who, me?

S/C/G: 160/156/125-130

Height: 5'6"

Hey Nina!

Welcome! I am new here too and sort of in the same boat as you as far as some dieting habits. This seems to be such an informative group and very supportive. Good luck and don't give up!

Luci
Mistresslucyfurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #5  

mandalin: i love how nicely you put "changes in your lifestyle".. i think that is exactly how you have to look at it! we have a gym on campus, but i just can't pull myself to go.. i HATE working out in front of other people! i absolutely can't stand it. i feel like i can't really dig in and work out when i know other people *may* look at me..maybe i should just get over that..

leanmoo: that's so cool your from MA! i go to Umass Amherst.. we have 5 dinning commons and they all have vegetarian friendly food infact, the dinning hall literally 50 feet from my room has a whole vegetarian station! with fake "chicken" and "beef" along with garden burgers etc etc.. it's amazing. once again, i'm terrified of the gym. absolutely terrified..

mistresslucy: thank you! we're the same height and your 157, i would love to know how light that feels
ciaonina is offline   Reply With Quote