Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #1  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Default Male member here with 215lb weight loss SO FAR

First, I hope it's ok that I registered here. When I googled excess skin weight loss removal, I came upon this forum. My story so far...

On January 1st of 2006, I finally found a scale that supported my weight. Back in '98 when I got my drivers license, I lied to the DMV and said I weighed 350lbs, as I really had no idea what I weighed. You see, prior to that, when I went to the Dr's office, they wouldn't even weigh me, as their 350lb scale didn't support my weight. At this time (1/1/06) I learned I weighed 510lbs! I signed up at a local gym (they provided a discount rate for the employees at my job). I went in almost every day, did the exercise bike, and stopped when I was pooped. Usually, only 10 minutes, I figured I was doing something good.

For my diet, I did over the counter diet pills (TrimSpa, green tea pills, etc), water pills (the labeling was directed towards women, but I was really swollen.) A can of Slimfast and a burrito for lunch, and a tv dinner for dinner. I lost 30lbs by May. My goal was to lose some weight before my 25th anniversary grade school reunion in May. Unfortunately, at this time, I started to experience all the symptoms of diabetes: dry mouth, leading to excess drinking; urinating EVERY 45 mins (30lb weight loss in 2 weeks), blurry vision (i honestly didn't realize this was a sign). I got so fed up with the urinating, I took myself to the health clinic. My sugars were so high, they had to do a urine test, to test for keytones (which I had a high level). I was admitted to the ER on 6/1/06. At this time, the Dr put me on a 1800 calorie diet, and gave me some literature on Diabetes, and the food exchange program. When I was released, i regained all of my vision. On my next Dr's appt, I asked my Doc, "I want to restart the gym WHAT is it that I am supposed to do?". He suggested 30mins on the treadmill, and then with the weight, work on my legs one day, my arms one day, and my chest one day. I eventually paid a trainer to put me on a different program.

I became very disciplined with the dieting, and the exercising. In October, I did a 5mi walk for ADA. I trained myself by using the treadmill for 1 hr a day for a week.. I bought books on dieting, food nutrition, exercising, weight lifting, diabetes, etc. You name it I bought it! I've read Richard Simmons books, Jared from Subway, and just about anything inspirational. I have gained inspiration by watching the tv show Biggest Loser. I even bought the 2 books based on that show. I also learned in the beginning of this journey to write EVERYTHING down. I found a DayPlanner specially made for diabetics. With my 2 jobs, it is difficult to keep track of the calories, etc. I also weigh myself daily, and log that. I will log any workout that I do. I find by doing all of that, it helps me to look back to see what I was doing right/wrong when I hit a plataeu.

During this short time, I have been taken off most of my meds for diabetes. My proudest moment was getting off the insulin! I am now only on Metformin 2x a day and a shot called Byetta. I am going to ask my Dr next week about weaning me off of these as well. My blood sugars are Excellent (range from 70-95). A1C is at 5.1. Total Cholesterol is only 113.

About 1 month ago, I finally dumped all my chubby clothes, like the sweatpants, and bought some really nice clothes. I shaved myself clean, and got a nice haircut. I may weigh 295 now, but I am DETERMINED to join water aerobics this summer. This will be my first time in any sorta shorts in almost 10 yrs.

I am developing excess skin, and that his how I learned about this group. I am thinking about contacting Oprah/Dr Phil when I get closer to my target goal, with the hopes that if I told my story, they would pay for the surgery.

Once I learn how to upload a picture here, I have a nice montage of all my stages over the past yr or so.

Thanks for having me here

Steven
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/259/175

Height: 5'7"

that is awesome!!! Congratulations on all that you have done so far! And welcome, it's always nice to meet new people!
Luxorbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #3  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

Wow, what a great story! Congrats!!!
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #4  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

STEVEN ~~ WOW, what a truly wonderful story and you look SO good! You will love it here, because there are so many caring and supportive people. I hope that you will be able to get help from Oprah or Dr. Phil because you truly deserve it.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Steven! We hope you will find this a great place for inspiration, support, etc. We are mainly chicks, but there are some roosters around. You should check out Charles' story (look in the success threads and you will find him there).

It often helps to find a "home" -- you may like the 100 pound club (people with more than 100 pounds to lose) or the 300+ forum, or forums related to Challenges with Weight Loss (such as diabetes)... or our GREAT Ladies (and Gents) who Lift Forum -- and our general exercise forum.

Or, check out our Maintainers' Forum and the MANY discussions of Body Issues (including the loose skin issue!)

I'm sure you know your story is inspiring, and I hope you can continue to inspire and be inspired here.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 AM   #6  

Wheeew, I wasn't sure how I would be received, being a guy and all. I have briefly looked around here, and saw that there was many different forums. I first stumbled upon the Maintainers forum when I was looking for info on loose skin. It will take me awhile to see where I want to post (a little overwhelming right now).

I definitely know my story is inspiring. Many people have changed their eating habits, etc at work, because of what I have accomplished. At my station I have that montage that I had spoke about, to inspire others. I also have a side-by-side (shown here in my profile) that a manager at work did for me. HE took a photo of mine, taken last year in Chicago, and put it alongside one taken at work when I reached the 200lb weight loss, resize both photos, so my height was identical. For the 1st time in my journey, I was able to notice the change! I have this photo hanging up as a constant reminder of what I was, and what I don't want to be anymore.

In October last year, shortly after that ADA walk, I was a call-in guest on Richard Simmons Sirius radio show. Unfortunately I was disappointed in that call. He essentially accused me of having obsessive compulsive disorders, because when he asked if I thought I was exercising too much, I answered yes. But I also said I enjoyed it! Nowadays I walk WHENEVER possible. In fact on Saturdays, between walking to the gym (1.5mi-1.71 mi, depending on the route), and the workout, and the 2mi treadmill, and the walk to work, I had put in over 9,000 steps on my pedometer, and that was only at 8am! The more I lose, the more I can do, the better off I am. In fact, my sex drive has increased tenfold because of this journey

I had been a bad boy, and overeating at dinner, and hit a nasty plateau for a couple of months. But, I learned a couple things...have a larger breakfast/lunch, and to start do meal planning. This has helped me to stay within 1500-1800 calories daily. Oh, because of being diabetic, I have to watch my carbs, so which means I pay special attention to the fiber. I am eating more protein for my workouts (Arnold Schwarzenegger's Bible of bodybuilding was 1 of many books purchased and read, I have picked up some useful ideas). I have ALWAYS monitored my sodium, due to the swelling. Because of the meal planning, I am back on track again

Steven
Old 05-08-2007, 05:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 253/241/170

Height: 5'6

WOW, I just checked out your profile pictures. You are an inspiration! Good luck on the rest of your journey. I think you can be a great help to a lot of people on this forum.
Karen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #8  
Jazzercise away the fat!!

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Wow!! You have a truly amazing story!! Keep up the great work!
mamaplots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You are an inspiration.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/244/160

Height: 5'2"

I'm new to this forum as well. I read your story and it is inspiring. It's amazing how much progress you've made in a short amount of time!
ArtThatKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/207/160

Height: 5'3"

You are exactly what the rest of us need around here!!! Congrats and good luck on the rest of your journey.
MissieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:04 AM   #12  

Wow, I've been away for a few days, and wasn't expecting this response! If you guys are on MySpace, I just posted my 1st ever blog. I have spent several hours on it. I have included a links section, where I ranked this forum as the best. If your bored, please check it out http://www.myspace.com/edudeebonserf

Be sure to check out my Pics page as well, this shows my complete transformation over the past 1.5 yrs