3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Fall/Winter (Oct '22 - March '23) IPA thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/325556-fall-winter-oct-22-march-23-ipa-thread.html)

cactusblossom 10-02-2022 04:35 PM

Fall/Winter (Oct '22 - March '23) IPA thread

Sadly, I am making this a 6 month thread! Figured why not and hoping (and praying) for some company!! :^:

cactusblossom 10-06-2022 04:07 PM

Week 1 - Day 4

Hi friends -

Hoping there is someone out there to see my posts! I am doing good and will continue as long as I can!! Wishing everyone a great day! :hug:

cactusblossom 10-11-2022 11:44 AM

Week 1 - Day 9

Hello,

Hope all is well. I am doing good! Got right back on track. I have been reading quite a bit of the old posts - ones I remember from many years ago! It was such a busy place in those days. Hoping some will come back. But I will continue on!

Have a great day :hug:

KaylaS 10-12-2022 11:55 AM

Hi! I am on day 5

cactusblossom 11-26-2022 03:14 PM

Hi Kayla - are you around??

cactusblossom 11-28-2022 09:47 AM

Hi - if anyone is out there! I am back on track - Day 2. Would love some company! :wave: Have a great day! :)

cactusblossom 12-13-2022 11:37 AM

Still here and doing ok!

LizRR 01-06-2023 02:44 PM

Hey cactusblossom!

Well, sadly 2022 did not go well for me starting/re-starting IP all year and I only had myself to blame - I kept up the "well, I can start again tomorrow" excuse when I'd cheat then figure I'd have some wine since I was done for the day...not the right recipe! I think some post-pandemic stress eating, depression, borderline alcoholism, bad sleep habits, etc. were still hanging around. I try to have a positive outlook, but my coping strategies obviously spoke louder than my words. I'm really starting to worry about my health too - I'm 48yo and really need to take this seriously if I want to see my kids grow up (diabetes, high blood pressure, hypertension, obesity run in my family).

I committed to "Dry January" with some friends, which I actually plan to be a "Dry IP". It may be cliche but the NY Resolution has been a great motivator for me, especially after over indulging during the holidays (Oct-Dec) and gaining what little I had lost through 2022 (back to square one on 1/1). I'm on day 6 no booze and started IP "officially" on 1/3 and down 5lb in 3 days (I unofficially started on 1/2, but forgot to WI). I feel great! Better than I have in a while, I'm still having trouble getting to sleep on time (getting better every night though) but I think that's more due to getting into ketosis and coming off of a 2 week break of sleeping in. Previously I had a "loose" mindset but I really do feel super motivated (aka, militant - like I did the first round on IP), it's like a switch has flipped.

I spent a few days reupping my supplements, prep cooking, and bought keto sticks before starting 1/3 - I know some people say "you don't need keto sticks if you follow the plan" but I'm using them 2x/day (AM & PM) to reinforce that I'm staying true over January & February ($8.99 for 150 wasn't breaking the bank to get this kickstarted) . I'm using myfitnesspal to log EVERYTHING (I even note my keto stick time & levels daily). I "publicly" announced to my husband my intentions which also made it more official (before I would quietly start/cheat/drink/restart/repeat). I'm tinkering with 16:8 IF too (Ro22 inspired!), it's easy for me to push my first meal - but I'm finding it hard to fit all the food in because I'm full! I'm doing this DIY, but if I break ranks I'm going back to my clinic - my first 2 IP rounds (2012 and 2019) I was successful and went to my clinic - if I stumble even once DIY'ing I am going back to my coach for accountability.

If I play my cards right I can make goal by my 49th birthday in July! And for my 50th birthday, after a year of maintenance, I am getting myself a tummy tuck, never in my life have I had "flat abs" (even after reaching my goal at 38), great way to start the next 50 years!

oneuh2 01-09-2023 04:00 PM

Sounds like a good plan -- I have been on and off since 2015 when I had lost 86, and regained, and then 2018 I lost 50 and regained, and then 2021 I lost 50 and regained.... so here I am 2023 about to begin a new program very similar to Ideal Protein. There is no IP near me as I have moved to South Carolina. But OptaVia is very similar and you order the foods for home delivery once a month (about $300 for 30 days of packets which they call 'fuelings'). They have a recipe book like Janeva's with hacks for using the packets to make various IP compliant meals.
I think their support from FB private group and weekly live calls, periodic zoom live webinars, is better than IP, and I do have live coach in my same neighborhood community. I have to say that I miss the support from this forum that I had my first time thru IP. It was a daily motivator and support mechanism. I am not pushing this other program, just sharing my current activities to try to lose the extra lbs one more time... I am in it for a goal to lose 70lbs... aarrgghh!

I am glad to find your posting and this discussion thread - and I hope cactusflower is still around -- we did this together a few years back.:smug:

One thing that I find really helpful is writing down the 'Why'. I begin the food program tomorrow and wrote my 'Why' today... I am posting it on my phone for easy reference, and on my mirror and refrigerator. here it is below. You might want to do something similar to help you stay on track, esp since you are not only changing your eating but also your drinking habits:Why I want to change.

I want to feel healthy and happy.

I want to move with more ease (without as much pain and stiffness as I feel now).

I want to be able to enjoy the many activities available at my doorstep in my new home and community.

I want to feel confident about how I look and feel - so I can comfortably make new friends and find companionship.

I am aware of my chronological age and my potential years of active life - I want to maximize the number of active years and maximize the activities I can enjoy.

I want to reduce my likelihood of falling – improve balance.

I want to improve my stamina/endurance - be able to dance a 2 minute swing or Salsa without so much huffing and puffing before it ends.

I want to be able to perform simple daily activities without struggle:
  • Tie my shoes and breath at the same time
  • Lift my knees as I put pants on without struggling to maneuver around my now large belly
  • Sit in an armchair without pain from the arms squeezing me like a vice
  • Comfortably sit in an airplane for 10 hours
I am going to Italy for 10 days in 9 months - I want to feel healthy and fit so I can walk everywhere and truly enjoy the trip - my first trip outside of North America.

LizRR 01-11-2023 11:19 AM

Hey oneuh2! My first IP round in 2012 I lost 70lb+ in Phase 1-3 (this was after major back/knee/foot problems in 1st pregnancy & my "why" then was a healthy #2), and I actually lost 10lb in Phase 4 (started vigorous exercise routine). I ended up having TWO more babies and IP round 2 I lost 50lb and was doing great in 10/2019 - unfortunately 2020 was right around the corner and I undid it all again! It's taken me a few start/false restarts but I'm feeling great! 1 week and 1 day and I'm down 10lb! I know this first week was water loss, but still motivating to see the scale go down and knowing I'm pushing closer to ketosis.

I've heard of OptaVia before, I've got a bunch of IP alternative boxes from all my "restarts" so I'm working my way through my current stash before I go in and order more. I laid out a "loose calendar" for myself to guesstimate end-goal and it's a reminder...if I would have started when I originally intended too I'd be done by now!!!! I remember my first 2012 round I was "almost" to goal on my 38th birthday and this year will be "almost" goal on my 49th!

I'm planning to start some low intensity walking next week (after 2 weeks) and then 2 weeks after that some weight lifting. I actually joined a gym in November to "motivate" myself but then decided to take this month off to acclimate to the diet changes with such low carbs/calories. I do low intensity and I really do like to be active - might help me get to sleep faster too! I need to flip my clock back to morning person! I like the "why" statements, I had them internally but here's my list:

I want to be healthy
  • I want to lower my blood pressure without medication
  • I want to avoid obesity related complications
  • I want to see my kids grow up and have many years with my husband
I want to be active
  • I want to join my running group again
  • I want to run races again
  • I want to deal with stress in a positive way
I want to feel confident
  • I want to fit in my old clothes
  • I want to feel sexy with my husband again
I'm going on a cruise in a few months - I want to feel comfortable and at ease with my friends and family
  • I want to keep up with my 3 kids for activities - on the boat, excursions, and at home
  • I want to do activities with my family
I want to be healthier at 50 than I was at 30!

LizRR 01-18-2023 01:38 PM

I'm still chugging along...made it through 2 weeks and down 14lb! 18 days through dry January and I feel great, had a bit of trouble getting to sleep last night so dragging a bit today, but nothing I can't work through. I do weigh daily, and found it funny how I saw "the whoosh" this past week, had about 3 days of no/small gain and then boom, down a little over 2lb yesterday overnight! I'm hoping to start some walking this week, ideally in the mornings before I get kids ready for school - trying to wake up a little earlier every morning until I can get a good 30min built up. So far so good! I'm staring down Week 3 and it's looking good - have a good one!

LizRR 01-20-2023 01:18 PM

Still going at it for Week 3! I've been steadily holding out on the scale the past few days - but then I started my period this morning so I might see a small down tick, although I won't be crushed if my next WI is small/none - I figure after the big first 2 weeks things will probably settle down some.

One thing I've noticed so far is I've been using a lot of "little extras"...and while they are small - it might start adding up. For example, I'm using a cup of unsweetened almond milk (30 cal/3g fat/1g protein) for my power greens shake with my chocolate drink mix, using 1 cup chicken stock for soups (10 cal/2g protein), using the whole package of shirataki noodles (10 cal/2 carb) with dinner protein and 2-3x more G. Hughes SF stir fry sauce (5 cal/1g carb/1g protein), and I've been using cauliflower for EVERYTHING (it's my favorite soup thickener)...I need to mix it up to lower the veggie carb count. It's been helping me power through the first weeks though - willpower in the past few restart attempts never lasted too long, so I'll take these as my little helpers and reevaluate them if I get stuck.

I'm tracking everything on myfitnesspal and have been staying pretty "in range" wrt overall calories and macros (750-850 cal, 50% protein, 25% carb, 25% fat). 4 more days until WI #3!

Ro22 01-29-2023 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneuh2 (Post 5458320)
Sounds like a good plan -- I have been on and off since 2015 when I had lost 86, and regained, and then 2018 I lost 50 and regained, and then 2021 I lost 50 and regained.... so here I am 2023 about to begin a new program very similar to Ideal Protein. There is no IP near me as I have moved to South Carolina. But OptaVia is very similar and you order the foods for home delivery once a month (about $300 for 30 days of packets which they call 'fuelings'). They have a recipe book like Janeva's with hacks for using the packets to make various IP compliant meals.
I think their support from FB private group and weekly live calls, periodic zoom live webinars, is better than IP, and I do have live coach in my same neighborhood community. I have to say that I miss the support from this forum that I had my first time thru IP. It was a daily motivator and support mechanism. I am not pushing this other program, just sharing my current activities to try to lose the extra lbs one more time... I am in it for a goal to lose 70lbs... aarrgghh!

I am glad to find your posting and this discussion thread - and I hope cactusflower is still around -- we did this together a few years back.:smug:

One thing that I find really helpful is writing down the 'Why'. I begin the food program tomorrow and wrote my 'Why' today... I am posting it on my phone for easy reference, and on my mirror and refrigerator. here it is below. You might want to do something similar to help you stay on track, esp since you are not only changing your eating but also your drinking habits:Why I want to change.

I want to feel healthy and happy.

I want to move with more ease (without as much pain and stiffness as I feel now).

I want to be able to enjoy the many activities available at my doorstep in my new home and community.

I want to feel confident about how I look and feel - so I can comfortably make new friends and find companionship.

I am aware of my chronological age and my potential years of active life - I want to maximize the number of active years and maximize the activities I can enjoy.

I want to reduce my likelihood of falling – improve balance.

I want to improve my stamina/endurance - be able to dance a 2 minute swing or Salsa without so much huffing and puffing before it ends.

I want to be able to perform simple daily activities without struggle:
  • Tie my shoes and breath at the same time
  • Lift my knees as I put pants on without struggling to maneuver around my now large belly
  • Sit in an armchair without pain from the arms squeezing me like a vice
  • Comfortably sit in an airplane for 10 hours
I am going to Italy for 10 days in 9 months - I want to feel healthy and fit so I can walk everywhere and truly enjoy the trip - my first trip outside of North America.

Cheryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ro22 01-29-2023 11:41 PM

I’m here…

Hey everyone,
I’m still around. Tomorrow starts week 10 for me.
I’ve been doing Ideal Protein style protocol that I’ve learned is a lot like PSMF in the keto world (Protein Sparing Modified Fast) and PE Diet (Protein to Energy Diet) from Dr. Ted Naiman.
I started a YouTube channel for how I’m applying this protocol to those. I’m doing a lot of recipe videos there plus I’m posting my progress etc.
I have always liked this message board for sharing over Facebook so I’ll keep posting here as long as this is active but it goes radio silent so I started doing these videos as a way to keep myself on track.
Check it out if interested. It’s Losin’ It on Keto.

I’m down 38 lbs through 8 weeks.
I’m about halfway to goal.
Feeling tremendous.
I feel strongly that I have discovered an Ideal Protein style protocol but with healthier ingredients and incorporating other learning such as intermittent fasting and good supplementation.
What I’m doing is the easiest way I have ever done this protocol. I’m doing 2 meals a day.

Rochelle

Ro22 01-29-2023 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactusblossom (Post 5456996)
Hi - if anyone is out there! I am back on track - Day 2. Would love some company! :wave: Have a great day! :)

You posted this on the day I rebooted! Going strong since the Monday after Thanksgiving, Nov 28!
Sorry, I didn’t check sooner but I just put my head down and got to work. It took me so long and so many false starts.

Cheryl - I’m looking to lose about same as you - halfway there in 8 weeks. I’ve heard of what you are doing so hope it works for you. I’m doing my own version of IP. I explain in post below. Whatever one does, I just say have a positive outlook about it.
I’m dealing with a bit of negativity from the keto community about doing Ideal Protein protocol because I get comments how we need fat but I’m not letting that second guess me. I know the protocol works but given I’m about to start week 10, I just got bloodwork done and I’m getting my RMR tested Tuesday (resting metabolic rate) so I can counter the keto people telling me I’ll ruin my metabolism. I don’t get upset with them because they just don’t know any better. I know this is the best I’ve felt in a long time and I just know this protocol makes me feel the best including tons of energy! I’ve run out of cabinets, drawers and closets to clean/organize lol!