Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 74

Default I am a cheating cheater who cheats :(

The title pretty much says it all. I have read the "cost of cheating" thread linked in the sticky and the "90%" thread. I have been mostly good about avoiding carbs, except for two bad days, but even those were limited (but still). I've had decent losses, but I know they could be better if I'd just leave the cheese or pepperoni alone. *sigh* I haven't had a single day completely on plan since the first week. I start week 5 tomorrow.

Anyone else having similar struggles? For those who manage to be perfectly on plan, or at least never eat anything forbidden, how do you do it?
huskiesbabiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #2  
maintenance since 2/16/11
 
darbs7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,612

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskiesbabiesmama View Post
The title pretty much says it all. I have read the "cost of cheating" thread linked in the sticky and the "90%" thread. I have been mostly good about avoiding carbs, except for two bad days, but even those were limited (but still). I've had decent losses, but I know they could be better if I'd just leave the cheese or pepperoni alone. *sigh* I haven't had a single day completely on plan since the first week. I start week 5 tomorrow.

Anyone else having similar struggles? For those who manage to be perfectly on plan, or at least never eat anything forbidden, how do you do it?

Today is the end of week 5 for me. I am down 18 pounds. I follow plan perfect (with alternatives) 90% of the time. I have had several Atkins days where I eat some cheese or eggs or butter or fat (love wings as a treat). It has not affected my loss, but I make sure to sandwich it between two very low calorie days and add a big walk to my Atkins day. I do not go overboard on those days (2 eggs with cheese for breakfast, salad with blue cheese and chicken for lunch, and then meat and veggie for dinner or wings)

I started IP in Sept 2010 and lost 80 pounds back then and kept it off for 4 years. I slowly gained back 47 of the 80 over the last 18 months (so mad) after keeping it off 4 years (by going back to phase 1 over and over and following Atkins).

I have a ton of experience with ketosis and this diet so I am not worried. We have to follow it forever so there is not rush to finish

Last edited by darbs7; 02-06-2017 at 02:51 PM.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
Today is the end of week 5 for me. I am down 18 pounds. I follow plan perfect (with alternatives) 90% of the time. I have had several Atkins days where I eat some cheese or eggs or butter or fat (love wings as a treat). It has not affected my loss, but I make sure to sandwich it between two very low calorie days and add a big walk to my Atkins day. I do not go overboard on those days (2 eggs with cheese for breakfast, salad with blue cheese and chicken for lunch, and then meat and veggie for dinner or wings)

I started IP in Sept 2010 and lost 80 pounds back then and kept it off for 4 years. I slowly gained back 47 of the 80 over the last 18 months (so mad) after keeping it off 4 years (by going back to phase 1 over and over and following Atkins).

I have a ton of experience with ketosis and this diet so I am not worried. We have to follow it forever so there is not rush to finish
That is me, too. Except for the 2 days I mentioned in my post all my cheating has been doing atkins approved meats and cheeses. I do some cardio almost everyday, as well. Maybe it's okay that I'm I cheater? I'm down at least 14 pounds from my starting weight (will get my official weigh in this evening). I track my macros with the my fitness pal app and I've only reached 1,000 calories 4 times since I've started.
huskiesbabiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #4  
Senior Member
 
fitnhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 184

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

Default

It's a daily battle for sure!

I have been 100% since I began (this is the start of my fifth week), I am noticing far less cravings for things just lately like yesterday I baked a caramel mud cake for my husband and kids and didn't even feel overly tempted to want to eat it. It smelt delicious baking but I had no real desire to actually eat it -weird!

I drink a bucket load of water every day and consciously distract myself if I do get a craving by going and doing something else away from the kitchen. I read that a craving typically lasts three minutes, true or not I don't know but I distract myself with a job and I'm over the craving so something works.

Some days are far harder to stay strong though!
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnhappy View Post
It's a daily battle for sure!

I have been 100% since I began (this is the start of my fifth week), I am noticing far less cravings for things just lately like yesterday I baked a caramel mud cake for my husband and kids and didn't even feel overly tempted to want to eat it. It smelt delicious baking but I had no real desire to actually eat it -weird!

I drink a bucket load of water every day and consciously distract myself if I do get a craving by going and doing something else away from the kitchen. I read that a craving typically lasts three minutes, true or not I don't know but I distract myself with a job and I'm over the craving so something works.

Some days are far harder to stay strong though!
Thanks for the tips! So far I am 100% on plan today, and I want to finish today on plan. One day at a time.
huskiesbabiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #6  
Reboot 11 June 2018
 
Briael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,302

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Default

If you know you will cheat, then plan for it. Go through all the allowed foods and take note of which offer you the best protein options for lowest fat and carb numbers. Decide in advance what you are likely to cheat with and build it into a routine. Provided you keep yourself in ketosis, then the cheating may slow you down (it didn't with some of us, but each person is individual) but you will still get there in your weight loss journey.

IP is pretty hardcore in terms of diet structure. It's not for everyone, but even when modified you can still make it work for you. Identify what you crave, when and why. If you can make a healthier substitution of something that will kill the craving then do it. For some people it's about taste, others about texture. Spend the time experiencing cravings so you learn what they are all about, and you will find a solution that works.

Don't be discouraged. Allowing yourself to feel that you can't work with it will stop you from trying to find a way that will work for you.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
If you know you will cheat, then plan for it. Go through all the allowed foods and take note of which offer you the best protein options for lowest fat and carb numbers. Decide in advance what you are likely to cheat with and build it into a routine. Provided you keep yourself in ketosis, then the cheating may slow you down (it didn't with some of us, but each person is individual) but you will still get there in your weight loss journey.

IP is pretty hardcore in terms of diet structure. It's not for everyone, but even when modified you can still make it work for you. Identify what you crave, when and why. If you can make a healthier substitution of something that will kill the craving then do it. For some people it's about taste, others about texture. Spend the time experiencing cravings so you learn what they are all about, and you will find a solution that works.

Don't be discouraged. Allowing yourself to feel that you can't work with it will stop you from trying to find a way that will work for you.
Thank you! This was very helpful and understanding.
huskiesbabiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #8  
maintenance since 2/16/11
 
darbs7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,612

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
If you know you will cheat, then plan for it. Go through all the allowed foods and take note of which offer you the best protein options for lowest fat and carb numbers. Decide in advance what you are likely to cheat with and build it into a routine. Provided you keep yourself in ketosis, then the cheating may slow you down (it didn't with some of us, but each person is individual) but you will still get there in your weight loss journey.

IP is pretty hardcore in terms of diet structure. It's not for everyone, but even when modified you can still make it work for you. Identify what you crave, when and why. If you can make a healthier substitution of something that will kill the craving then do it. For some people it's about taste, others about texture. Spend the time experiencing cravings so you learn what they are all about, and you will find a solution that works.

Don't be discouraged. Allowing yourself to feel that you can't work with it will stop you from trying to find a way that will work for you.
I agree, that my little Atkins cheats do not slow down my losses, but they are usually just a single meal and I skip my bar that day. By doing them, it keeps me pushing through this tough diet and it teaches you how to make better choices for the long haul.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.