Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #1  
Crazy Bride-To-Be

S/C/G: 217/199.6/134

Height: 5'2"

Default So disheartened...

I've been on IP, religiously, for 5 weeks.

I'm down 12.6 HOWEVER since Thursday I have gained .4 (four days) and there is no reason for it. I'm follow protocol. Everything. It's not that TOM. I know hormones have weight fluctuations, but this is ridiculous. I feel stupid for paying $100/week for this and getting a gain. I'm eating between 600-800 calories a day, and not evening enjoying the little things. For example, my son's birthday. Everyone had cake and pizza...I had my vanilla crispy square and water. This evening they are all enjoying popcorn and a movie. I'm enjoying a movie. It's these little events that just dishearten me. Why am I depriving myself of these things when really, I gain anyways? Sorry for the rant. Weigh-in 4 on Thursday. If I'm not down, at least 2 pounds, it's over.
natalie062913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:46 AM   #2  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie062913 View Post

I'm down 12.6 HOWEVER since Thursday I have gained .4 (four days) and there is no reason for it. I'm follow protocol. Everything. It's not that TOM. I know hormones have weight fluctuations, but this is ridiculous. I feel stupid for paying $100/week for this and getting a gain. I'm eating between 600-800 calories a day, and not evening enjoying the little things. For example, my son's birthday. Everyone had cake and pizza...I had my vanilla crispy square and water. This evening they are all enjoying popcorn and a movie. I'm enjoying a movie. It's these little events that just dishearten me. Why am I depriving myself of these things when really, I gain anyways? Sorry for the rant. Weigh-in 4 on Thursday. If I'm not down, at least 2 pounds, it's over.
You chose to do this for a reason that you knew would require you to cut pizza, cake, movie popcorn, etc. No diet program allows you to have such things that your family was eating so IP is not the issue.

From your stats, this appears not to be the first time you are doing IP. I have done it 3 times - twice with the IP products and once with alternatives and I never had a week where I gained - but, I don't weigh myself multiple times a week and subject myself to daily fluctuations. I don't know if you always experience a loss each week - I have found the program's claims to be true that on average a woman loses 3-5 pounds per week (this is a cumulative average, not to suggest I always lose 3-5 pounds a week but I have always lost at least a pound).

If expenses are the issue, you can do this with alternatives.

Only you can decide if you want to drop weight and if so, what program out there fits your needs.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

I know it can be disheartening, but you have lost over 2lbs a week! Go to the store and pick up 2 ~ 5lbs of sugar and walk around with them a bit, do a few lunges it's a lot of weight.
toothgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #4  
Crazy Bride-To-Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothgirl View Post
I know it can be disheartening, but you have lost over 2lbs a week! Go to the store and pick up 2 ~ 5lbs of sugar and walk around with them a bit, do a few lunges it's a lot of weight.
I know, it's just very disheartening when you spend so much money. As of today I'm still up .1 since my weigh-in on Thursday. I have the food packets to last me until this week. I'd really like to see a big swoosh.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #5  
Crazy Bride-To-Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
You chose to do this for a reason that you knew would require you to cut pizza, cake, movie popcorn, etc. No diet program allows you to have such things that your family was eating so IP is not the issue.

From your stats, this appears not to be the first time you are doing IP. I have done it 3 times - twice with the IP products and once with alternatives and I never had a week where I gained - but, I don't weigh myself multiple times a week and subject myself to daily fluctuations. I don't know if you always experience a loss each week - I have found the program's claims to be true that on average a woman loses 3-5 pounds per week (this is a cumulative average, not to suggest I always lose 3-5 pounds a week but I have always lost at least a pound).

If expenses are the issue, you can do this with alternatives.

Only you can decide if you want to drop weight and if so, what program out there fits your needs.
First of all, this is the second time. First time I had to end because I fell and broke three bones...foot, and arm. I required surgery to stabilize my arm. At this point, my surgeon told me to stop the diet as keto was not healthy for me to be on during healing.

Secondly, I have been 100% on protocol. I have chosen not to eat pizza and cake. I never once thought a diet would allow me to do such things(with the exception of Weight Watchers). I'm stating that for the amount of money that is spent on this diet, on a weekly basis, I shouldn't be gaining.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #6  
IP Start 01/10/2015

S/C/G: 284/204/199

Default Don't be disheartened ...

Quote:
I'm eating between 600-800 calories a day, and not evening enjoying the little things.
Natalie, first 12 lbs in 5 weeks is more than the average weightloss so I think you are doing an AMAZING JOB. I would encourage you to pick one specific day to weigh yourself vs. it sounds like you might weigh daily or every other day? Are you getting all your water in per the IP guidelines of min 64 oz? I found I needed to have more, almost 100 oz to stay regular (bowel) and see the scale move down. Are you getting your full 4 cups of veggies in and all 3 packets? Are you having regular bowel movements? Are you eating mainly restricted IP products vs. unrestricted?

I went through IP in 2015 and lost 85 lbs in about 8-9 months, not always having the big swoosh but I maybe lost big 1 or 2 weeks the entire time I was committed 100%. I'm thinking you aren't getting enough of something because 600 - 800 calories seems pretty low (per Ro this is CORRECT, please disregard). I was around 900 - 1000 calories, usually averaging 900 calories daily.

My day looked like this:

AM - IP RMD Vanilla Drink & Starbucks Blonde Roast + 1 to 2 med boiled eggs (I had energy issues so my coach let me add the egg in AM, I would reduce my protein accordingly) + Multi & Potassium

Noon - IP Broccoli Soup, IP Salt + Unlimited Salad w/ Cucumbers, Onions, Peppers & WF Dressing

PM - 6-8 oz protein (Beef, Chicken, Shrimp, etc.) + Unlimited Salad, Broccoli & Cauliflower (2-3 cups) + 2 tsp of Olive Oil + Multi, Cal Mag & Omega

Snack - IP Brownie or if rebooting IP Hot Chocolate (Non Restricted) + Cal Mag

All of that together usually had me about 900 - 1000 calories. What does your daily menu consist of? When I didn't see the scale budge for a week or so my coach would advise me to stop having restricted IP foods and cut the extras i.e. Walden Farms, any sweeteners (Mio), etc.

Would love to know your daily food intake, let me know.

Nicole

Last edited by nicolenh; 10-24-2016 at 07:00 PM.
nicolenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #7  
IP Start 01/10/2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
Hi, 100/wk sounds inflated. My (former)) clinic currently charges less than half that.

A couple of thoughts, fwiw....even on IP, loss is not linear. It's disappointing to see these upticks but over time, they average out to a substantial loss. If you stall for a few wks, It might help to add a non restricted snack or protein, maybe even a little fat. But that's what you are paying your coach for! Best of luck!
My food costs were about $30/IP package (usually 3/week) + $40 Grocery Bill (Lettuce, Dinner Protein & Veggies). Easily over $100 / week.

I agree loss is certainly not linear, I went through the same trial / error process especially when it came to figuring out my water intake, slowing down on any extras (WF, Mio, etc.) and having consistant bowel movements which do impact weight loss. I used Miralax & Mag Citrate to try and get regular (hated both) until it was recommended I up my water, I drank/drink about 100 ounces daily (half body weight).

Nicole

Last edited by nicolenh; 10-24-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #8  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Mine is between 600-800 (I know this precisely because I track my macros) so I don't think she is doing something wrong per the protocol.

Per an Ideal Protein FAQ that was shared with coaches, this is what they had to say...
What is the target number of calories, grams of fat, protein and carbohydrates when someone is on 3, 4 and 5 envelopes respectively?
(Taking into consideration there is some variability because people have their own meal at dinner and choose different envelopes during the day.)

We target between 700 and 800 Kcals. per day on Phase 1.
The latitude is due to the choices they make for the "non-Ideal meal" (filet mignon, zucchini and yellow squash may have more calories than a filet of cod and broccoli).
If a person is doing 3 envelopes plus a "whole protein”,
this would be approximately 100 grams of protein (4 cal/gm = 400 Kcals from protein).
2 teaspoons of olive oil are approximately 90 Kcal or 10 gms of fat.
Taking fish oil capsules (the Omega-3) and estimating the fat in the whole protein we can probably add another 15 gms. of fat (or 135 Kcals).
So thus far we have 400 calories from protein and 225 Kcal from fat.
Add the 4 cups of veggies and salad and the carbohydrates in the Ideal foods, we get approximately 120 calories or about 30 grams of carbohydrates.
This would be about 54% Protein, 30% Fat and 16% Carbohydrates (3 packs + 1 whole protein per day).

If we add another envelope (and these should be the drinks, soups or puddings...the lo-carb foods) we add about 18 gms of protein and about 3 gms of Carbohydrates, on average.
So 4 packs + 1 whole protein would be about: 118 gms Protein (472 Kcals) 33 gms Carbs (132 Kcal) 25 gm Fat (225 Kcal) OR: 57% Protein, 27% Fat and 16% Carbs

5 envelopes + 1 whole protein would be about: 136 gms Protein (544 Kcal) 36 gms Carbs (144 Kcal) 25 gms Fat (225 Kcal) OR: 60% Protein, 25% Fat, and 15% Carbohydrates Now let's go back to the standard protocol, 3 envelopes + 1 whole protein: Total calories = 745

If we figure the basal metabolic rate + normal daily activity (no exercise) to be 1800 Kcal we can calculate how much body fat is used for fuel: 1800 - 745 = 1055 Kcal
1055 / 9 kcal/gm = about 118 gm of fat per day (which would be a little over 2 lbs. of fat per week lost), this weight doesn't count the water lost as the glycogen is depleted.
So our protocol is really a "high fat diet"
25 gms of fat from food + 118 gms from the body = 143 gm Fat (1287 Kcal) 100 gm Pro ( 400 Kcal) 30 gm Carb( 120 Kcal) OR: 71% Fat, 22% Protein, 7% Carbs

Last edited by Ro22; 10-24-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #9  
IP Start 01/10/2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Mine is between 600-800 (I know this precisely because I track my macros) so I don't think she is doing something wrong per the protocol.
Got it Ro, I used Myfitnesspal which would include the calories for supplements as well (small #) and I usually seemed to average 900 cals (maybe it was the whole eggs, not sure).

I'm interested to know what Natalie's daily menu looks like ... hopefully she responds.

Nicole

Last edited by nicolenh; 10-24-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 235/152/140

Height: 5'6"

Sorry to hear this. It is suuuuper frustrating!!

What kind of vegetables are you eating? I was having an issue eating too much broccoli and cauliflower during the week. Try switching up your veggies for a week to see if that helps.

If you are eating a lot of bars for snacks I have heard that effects you as well. Maybe try switching to a restricted every other day to bump you out of this? Talk to your coach before calling it quits! They are there to help and guide you through these bumps!
Pamela78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #11  
Crazy Bride-To-Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolenh View Post
Got it Ro, I used Myfitnesspal which would include the calories for supplements as well (small #) and I usually seemed to average 900 cals (maybe it was the whole eggs, not sure).

I'm interested to know what Natalie's daily menu looks like ... hopefully she responds.

Nicole
Hey ...sorry for the late reply.

My day usually looks something like this:

AM: IP shake usually with expresso
Snack: Vanilla Crispy treat (half)
Lunch: IP Chocolate Pudding or a unrestricted. + 2 cups of veggies (usually zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli)
Snack: Other half of Vanilla Crispy treat
Dinner: salad, with olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of ideal salt. 8 ounces of chicken or 8 ounces of any lean protein. Baked in the oven. Plus 2 cups of another type of veggie.

I usually drink between 2-3 litres of water a day.

If I have restricted, it's once a day. This week coming up I will have no restricted.

The worse is tomorrow is weigh in and I'm ready to feel defeated. I've made a decision that if I don't lose tomorrow, I'm done and will do weight watchers. I can't afford to pay $100 +/week and only lose .2 or .6. Calorie reduction itself would render me about 2lbs/week.

Thanks for your assistance!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:36 AM   #12  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Hey ...sorry for the late reply.

My day usually looks something like this:

AM: IP shake usually with expresso
Snack: Vanilla Crispy treat (half)
Lunch: IP Chocolate Pudding or a unrestricted. + 2 cups of veggies (usually zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli)
Snack: Other half of Vanilla Crispy treat
Dinner: salad, with olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of ideal salt. 8 ounces of chicken or 8 ounces of any lean protein. Baked in the oven. Plus 2 cups of another type of veggie.

I usually drink between 2-3 litres of water a day.

If I have restricted, it's once a day. This week coming up I will have no restricted.

The worse is tomorrow is weigh in and I'm ready to feel defeated. I've made a decision that if I don't lose tomorrow, I'm done and will do weight watchers. I can't afford to pay $100 +/week and only lose .2 or .6. Calorie reduction itself would render me about 2lbs/week.

Thanks for your assistance!
Good luck tomorrow. It is funny in that the weeks I feel I won't lose, I lose the most. I hope that happens for you.
Also, regardless of tomorrow's outcome, I hope you choose to stick with this because I believe you will get the results on this program you are seeking.
After last week's weigh-in, I felt like I should have lost more over a 6 week time span and I told myself 14.3 lbs lost wasn't anything to be upset about but in reality I was disappointed as I was expecting closer to 20. Then, just 1 week later, I weighed Monday and found a 6.3 loss!

Switch to WW if you want a less restrictive program that yields a bit slower results and don't mind if it takes you a little longer to lose as many inches and/or you need more of a support system that WW provides.
If $ are an issue, consider IP alternatives.

I have never had a week on IP where I did not lose. I had weeks where I gained on WW - that was far more frustrating than feeling I should have lost more in a given week.

My first response to you was trying to give a polar opposite view as it seemed you were already mentally defeated. I encourage you not to make an emotional, reactionary decision.

Regardless of what you choose, I wish you luck in your health journey.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/150/150

I know it's frustrating, but you are losing! Sometimes you retain more water at different times of the month or (pardon my bluntness, but I'm a nurse), you just need a couple of good poops. You're doing great and we've all been there! I've had a couple of gain weeks or very minimal loss weeks in the past six months doing everything right myself.
SE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #14  
Crazy Bride-To-Be

Hey everyone...

So an update...happy update.

2 lbs down...2 inches gone forever
Old 10-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #15  

So happy for you--excellent!
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote