Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #121  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
Hello Maintainers!

Popping back in to say hello and update.

My Keto experiment has mostly been a failure. Like Paleo before I did IP, I have gained weight. Almost 15 lbs to be exact. After much thought I have realized that the only way I, personally, lose weight, is low carb low fat. So...I am ordering from Nashua tonight and putting my bacon in the freezer. About 20 years ago I lost over 60 lbs doing low carb low fat and walking 3+ miles every day. It all came back back and then some because I didn't take care of myself. I guess I'm one of those people that Keto/Paleo just doesn't work for. I can't believe I let myself get so far over my scream weight before I woke up! Ugh.

Back to P1. And being more cognizant of what I am putting in my mouth and why.
Sorry to hear that Andrea. As I shared with you previously, the same is true for me. I can maintain with it (still need to count calories), but I can't lose weight with it. I started back on IP last June. I phased off and went to keto before Thanksgiving and have been gaining and losing the same weight when straying from keto and eating carbs and going back to IP to lose. I went on a carb binge for a month and now I am just about finished with my month back on IP. I'll weigh myself on Saturday and see if I am back to where I was when I started the binge on Jan 28 which started with taking my family out for my brother's bday. It took me a full month to get myself back on track from one little dinner splurge. But, the good news is that this is my 4th week on IP and I feel I am close to where I was. Once I get back to where I was, then I am going to start weighing weekly as I want to lose 20 lbs to get back to the stats that still display from the first time I did IP. I can easily carry these 20 lbs - everyone around me tells me to stop dieting but I feel better 20 lbs less - I want to get into all the clothes I had purchased when I did IP the first time. So, I am prepared to keep going on it for about 10 more weeks which is what I estimate it will take to get back to my weight from Jan 28 and then lose another 20. It may require just 8 weeks but we'll see - the point is I am committed to getting back to 168 or so and back to my size 8. IP just works - you don't even have to think about it. But, it would sure have been nice to lose like IP on keto. I even went to the IP clinic and picked up IP foods vs Nashua. I don't think there are any foods like IP when doing this type of diet. I'll gladly pay the extra $ because we get so few calories, I want the best tasting foods. I experimented before my binge with various products and they simply didn't measure up to IP. The only one that does is Quest protein powder for me. So, for whatever reason, I have not wanted to eat meat on this cycle so my dinners have consisted of replacing meat with Quest protein powder. I really enjoy the Cookies'n'Cream shakes. And, I make chocolate cookies with the Chocolate Milkshake Quest powder. Those 2 satisfy the dinner protein. My 3 ideal protein packets that i have every day are the chocolately caramel mug cake that I make either as pudding, cake or cookies, chicken soup and chocolate drink mix that I make into a cake. I cut out the egg whites in my baking so I can have the full dinner protein. I don't miss the egg whites much in the baking.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi Ro!

I know it's sad isn't it? I really wanted Keto to work. I read all the posts on several Facebook pages and some people have extraordinary success. I think the more you have to loose the better this WOE works. But when you post about failure, people start talking about fiddling with macros, egg fasts, intermittent fasting, etc. Eating shouldn't have to be that hard. P1 is mindless, but as you said it does work. My Nashua order won't arrive until Saturday at least. I'll just my best with what I can get locally until then. I would love to go back to IP food because it does taste better but the budget says NO! Like you, I just want to get back into all my cute clothes. 15-20 extra lbs is a big deal. I know I can get rid of it on IP so here I go!

Last edited by catlady1981; 03-21-2017 at 04:08 PM.
catlady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:02 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi Andrea & Rochelle:

I'm back on this forum... it's been a while, good to see you guys here too!
Still Intermittent Fasting but only for 14-16 hours a day or so. I like to eat dinner with my husband, and I do feel like a midnight minimeal or snack while on patrol.
Under 50 g Keto still works for me but I do know it's not for everyone.
Hoping you all find your happy spot!
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #124  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Love it, Liana!!!

Hi Andrea!

Liana - when you say under 50 g Keto, what are you referring to - I tried to mix my macros up and nothing worked for me to lose weight on keto. And, I gave up all dairy (assuming one does not count butter as dairy - I have seen this as a controversial topic as some deto dieters do and some don't) and didn't have nuts so I know it wasn't due to say an inflammatory or insulin response to this type of food.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #125  

Hi Liana and Ro!

I tried Intermittent fasting. Read Jason Fung's book on it, as well as Jimmy Moore's Keto Clarity. I would eat dinner no later than 8 pm and then not eat again until noon the next day so fasting for about 16 hours. Changing up my macros didn't work either. I tried several different ratio's, cutting out dairy, etc. Keto just doesn't work for me for weight loss. I am anxiously waiting for my Nashua order to get here. Once I get back to my happy weight I want to be able to eat all the foods. I don't think that not eating fruit, dairy or the occasional sandwich is a sustainable long term plan.

Ro: I think Liana probably is referring to under 50 gm of carbs a day.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #126  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
Hi Liana and Ro!

I tried Intermittent fasting. Read Jason Fung's book on it, as well as Jimmy Moore's Keto Clarity. I would eat dinner no later than 8 pm and then not eat again until noon the next day so fasting for about 16 hours. Changing up my macros didn't work either. I tried several different ratio's, cutting out dairy, etc. Keto just doesn't work for me for weight loss. I am anxiously waiting for my Nashua order to get here. Once I get back to my happy weight I want to be able to eat all the foods. I don't think that not eating fruit, dairy or the occasional sandwich is a sustainable long term plan.

Ro: I think Liana probably is referring to under 50 gm of carbs a day.
Andrea - I did IF too. I tried eating once a day (dinner) as well as the 16:8 fast but no matter what I did, it didn't result in any weight loss.

I assumed that but I wondered if she meant total or net.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #127  

Hi guys... I meant 50 g net (subtracting fibre only, not alcohols, although I try to not pick stuff with sugar alcohols anyhow).
Liana
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #128  

Hi all,

Happy Tuesday!

Today is day one of P1 Reboot 2017. Feeling optimistic. I hope to have this 20 extra lbs. off in about 3 months. That's reasonable right? I looked back at my logs from original P1 in 2014 and it took me about that long to get from 160 to 140.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #129  

TGIF Maintainers!

Hope y'all had a great week. Going strong on P1. Down almost 5 lbs from start. I know...I know.. it's water weight. But it's still satisfying to see the scale go down. My head is in the game and I'm at this 100%. Going to the Dallas Farmers Market this week with a friend who is doing Whole 30. We're going to load up on veggies.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:40 PM   #130  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hi guys... I meant 50 g net (subtracting fibre only, not alcohols, although I try to not pick stuff with sugar alcohols anyhow).
Liana
Thanks, Liana. That is the same way I calculate net, and like you, I avoid sugar alcohols.

Andrea - glad to hear your progress! I won't weigh for another week or two as I feel I am losing slowly but don't want it confirmed and discourage myself if so because the only resolution is to just add more weeks to get to my goal. I put my smallest jeans on Sunday (or I should say "attempted") so that a confirmation also that I need a couple of more weeks to get back to were I was before my 1 month off protocol. I will not do that again - if I go off like that, it will not be for a month - too high of a price to pay!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #131  

I actually did my first long fast (51 hours!!) with no problem at all. I don't really know quite how as I would usually be a bit fixated on food after 18 hrs max. I just broke it with a couple of small picked eggs and two 5g packs of roasted seaweed. Then I won't be eating again after work and sleep for another 16 hours.
Tons of energy, and no headache or any grumbly tummy either. It's a mystery I can't seem to figure out. I hope I can do a repeat in the near future, lol.

Liana
Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #132  

Liana,

Congrats on your long fast. I never made it past 18 hours. But I never tried either. You rock! Glad it's working for you.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #133  

Happy Monday Maintainers!

I'm down a total of 6.9 lbs since I started my reboot on 3/28, so right at 14 days. Hunger pangs come every now and again, but I remember Ruth Ann saying eat a pickle. So that's what I do. I wonder if she still reads the boards? She is such an inspiration.

I didn't track macros/nutrients my first time on P1. But I am this time to see what a typical day is. I am surprised to see the macros for net carbs are higher than when I was doing Keto. There the goal is net 20 or lower. Most days on P1 I average around net 30. Protein at about 100 grams and fat at 40.

I avoid the work kitchen on Friday mornings(donuts) and Mondays(catered lunches) and it's working out fine. I'm ready for this 3rd week to be done so that I can start my exercise program back up again. As with the first time on P1, no energy boost, but not having insomnia as others seem to.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #134  

Hi Andrea! Here's to pickles! I just seem to have a hard time finding the exact sour super-crunchy ones that will please me. I hate soggy pickles. I haven't been able to do a longer fast again since that other one, just 18 max right now, but I'm dealing with other stressors at the moment and, lawd knows, I've never been one to lose my appetite under stress.

I just watched a super interesting presentation via LowCarbDownUnder from Dr. Ted Naiman that totally explains (yes, in scientific terms, but not too hard for laypeople to understand) why it's important to separate the 'fat meal' from the 'carb meal' and how we likely will always need to keep carb intake fairly low. ATP pathways in our mitochondria. It's only 29 minutes and totally worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd8QFD5Ht18

You may have to stop it periodically to digest the meaning and look more closely at the diagrams.

Also interesting is this newer study on how to turn white metabolically inactive fat into brown active fat... http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...ite-Fat-Brown/

Liana
Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #135  

Hi Liana,

My favorite pickles are Claussen brand. Super crunchy. Not sure if you can get those in Canada.

Sorry to hear that family members are having health problems. I saw that you posted that in another thread. I hope everyone recovers soon. Thanks for posting those two things. I'll take a look. Still plugging along on P1. I think I need to replace the battery in my scale. I don't like what it is saying. Hah! But I have incorporated a 30 minute walk into my lunch hour so I feel better about that. I need to get back into regular workouts as I got out of the habit. Once I get the walking under my belt and it's a good habit, then I'll start back with the weights.