Changes to IP protocol? Trail Mix?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • http://totalwellcoach.com/category/i...protein-foods/

Although in maintenance, I still check out the P1 page on Facebook - try to give back a little where I can, even if I did IP with alt products.

THIS caught my attention today - if you click on the link, you will see a new product getting ready to release - a soy puff trail mix (only available in CANADA currently):

A blend of cayenne and tamari spices with a touch of honey, sprinkled on pumpkin seeds and chickpeas to bring you a quick and flavorful snack.

Unrestricted
    Gluten-Free: No
    7 packets per box

Ingredients: Pumpkin seed kernel, honey flavored soybeans (soybeans, sugar, sunflower oil, honey, salt, maltodextrin, xanthan gum), tamari flavored chickpeas (chickpeas, canola and/or safflower oil, tamari soy sauce, salt, maltodextrin, spices, sugar, garlic and onion powders, vinegar powder, cayenne pepper sauce, citric acid, malic acid).

I am watching this thread (on Facebook) carefully for a number of reasons:

1. I highlighted a number of ingredients that caused me to go "WHA???!" - chickpeas? seeds? HONEY?
    2. 210 calories (thought snacks couldn't go above 200 - and above 190 was super-restricted)
    3. It's apparently UNRESTRICTED

Also, one poster mentioned they believe some changes to protocol are happening as some of the new products are higher in fat & calories (vanilla crispy squares?)...

Again, I didn't go through a coach / clinic and am curious what others thoughts are...
  • It also doesn't have at least 12g of protein.
  • This looks extremely dangerous to me. IP shouldn't be messing with perfection.
  • 210 calories and 13 g of fat, seems so high
  • The slower you lose weight the longer you are on the diet, therfore spending g more money
  • Several thoughts....

1. As poorly as IP manages their clinics/coaches, maybe they will just leave it up to the coach to decide if this is a good option for a particular client. So many coaches make up their own rules; I can see one saying, "Yes, it's unrestricted, but you can have this only once a week."

2. When you read the ingredient list of on-protocol foods, you will often see wheat flour, rice flour, sugar, and other surprising things listed.

3. Maybe IP has seen the value of some foods with higher fat content, for satiety.

4. This product is more like a Atkins product, in macros. Is IP feeling competition from Atkins?

5. Protein is so low! Everything about this product just seems counter to the principles behind IP protocol.
  • Quote: The slower you lose weight the longer you are on the diet, therfore spending g more money
    The pessimist in me totally agrees - BUT IP prides itself on the fast weight loss, so if suddenly people are out on message boards & such complaining about "slow weight loss" and giving IP bad ratings, that strategy could completely backfire!

HIS - I am sure we've both seen other people question some of the seeming conundrums of IP protocol, such as having products with added sugar (as you point out) but not allowing any spices with it

Jenny - I am right there with you! The boards are going to get really busy again if IP messes too much with a good thing

I guess an item like this also gives coaches more leeway to restrict something if weight loss slows...but unrestricted??? That is the piece that blows my mind
  • Quote: http://totalwellcoach.com/category/i...protein-foods/

Although in maintenance, I still check out the P1 page on Facebook - try to give back a little where I can, even if I did IP with alt products.

THIS caught my attention today - if you click on the link, you will see a new product getting ready to release - a soy puff trail mix (only available in CANADA currently):

A blend of cayenne and tamari spices with a touch of honey, sprinkled on pumpkin seeds and chickpeas to bring you a quick and flavorful snack.

Unrestricted
    Gluten-Free: No
    7 packets per box

Ingredients: Pumpkin seed kernel, honey flavored soybeans (soybeans, sugar, sunflower oil, honey, salt, maltodextrin, xanthan gum), tamari flavored chickpeas (chickpeas, canola and/or safflower oil, tamari soy sauce, salt, maltodextrin, spices, sugar, garlic and onion powders, vinegar powder, cayenne pepper sauce, citric acid, malic acid).

I am watching this thread (on Facebook) carefully for a number of reasons:

1. I highlighted a number of ingredients that caused me to go "WHA???!" - chickpeas? seeds? HONEY?
    2. 210 calories (thought snacks couldn't go above 200 - and above 190 was super-restricted)
    3. It's apparently UNRESTRICTED
    was in 2012 and the protocol has
    Also, one poster mentioned they believe some changes to protocol are happening as some of the new products are higher in fat & calories (vanilla crispy squares?)...

Again, I didn't go through a coach / clinic and am curious what others thoughts are...
    I am also questioning the changes in protocol and the addition of so many IP foods (US) that are higher in carbs, fat and calories. It seems they have raised the # total carbs allowed/day, even when factoring in the fiber. I've asked myself is this to attract more IPers...make it easier to follow by catering to deserts and snack type foods. And..the weight is coming off slower...more weeks that I buy the product.
    I started with IP in 2012 and the protocol has changed a lot. And what's with leeks being taken off, but Krispy squares added and non restricted, milk added at b/fast and 8oz protein, etc...
    Very confusing. II wish there was consistency across all IP clinics
  • It's hard to assess the reasons for the changes because there don't seem to be any published statistics on how many people start IP and drop out early, or how many have long-term success, or how many attend info meetings but then don't sign up. I'm sure if we knew those numbers, we'd see what IP is seeing and be better able to figure out the reasons for the protocol changes.

Personally, and cynically, I think the changes ultimately have to be based on the bottom line, not dieter's success.
  • Quote: I am also questioning the changes in protocol and the addition of so many IP foods (US) that are higher in carbs, fat and calories. It seems they have raised the # total carbs allowed/day, even when factoring in the fiber. I've asked myself is this to attract more IPers...make it easier to follow by catering to deserts and snack type foods. And..the weight is coming off slower...more weeks that I buy the product.
    I started with IP in 2012 and the protocol has changed a lot. And what's with leeks being taken off, but Krispy squares added and non restricted, milk added at b/fast and 8oz protein, etc...
    Very confusing. II wish there was consistency across all IP clinics
    Yes - there does appear to be a huge amount of inconsistency between the clinics

Btw - I did see a couple weeks on the "protocol facebook page" ago that the leeks were accidentally left off the most recent protocol sheet and will be returning (whoops)

I am a cynic like HIS in regards to IP & $ - at the end of the day, IP is a business trying to turn a profit...and this isn't an easy program - & its really expensive. I understand expanding the choices (helps too with people returning to the program) but would really like to know if the increase to calories / carbs / fat is for increased profits (slower weight loss), or retention (clients not quitting).
    There are thousands of reasons people start and stop a diet program - but IP's start-up (for most) is fairly expensive, so my (completely uneducated) 'guess' would be more people stop for medical reasons (ie - the lightheadedness, exhaustion, IP-flu, low blood sugar / blood pressure, etc...). General rule of thumb has been folks starting at 200+ are allowed an extra packet or two and it doesn't seem to effect weight loss...maybe something kind of similar here, kwim? Starting at slightly higher calories but seeing the initial weight loss - then being able to pull back?
  • Word is it's unrestricted, but dieters are limited to 1 a day. UM, doesn't that mean it's restricted?! Lol. I just don't understand this product at all. None of the numbers fit IP protocol standards (except the carbs).
  • Quote:
    Btw - I did see a couple weeks on the "protocol facebook page" ago that the leeks were accidentally left off the most recent protocol sheet and will be returning (whoops)
    Nope, that was misinformation given by Steven Larry! Twice, he said that leeks were mistakenly left off the protocol sheet. But very quietly, this week he admitted that he had checked with corporate and he was wrong.
  • Quote: Nope, that was misinformation given by Steven Larry! Twice, he said that leeks were mistakenly left off the protocol sheet. But very quietly, this week he admitted that he had checked with corporate and he was wrong.
    Noticed that - sorry I didn't come amend my post...but the carbs in this trail mix vs. cooked leeks...idk - sometimes I don't understand either - seems
  • Hi ladies!
    I am reading this scratching my head along with you all! I am SO happy I found you - I looked around 3FC in Dec and didn't see much activity, so I went to FB. SO glad I checked back here.
    A little history - I did IP with MUCH success in 2011. Had to stop due to surgery in Feb 2012. That surgery turned into 6 more and 40 pounds. So, I went back to what I knew worked. The ONLY thing that ever worked - Ideal Protein.
    When I did IP in 2011, I stuck to puddings and drinks. Lots of celery, cucs and green peppers. Chicken for dinner, mostly. I am allergic to fish. I dropped weight like mad. I felt amazing. Blood sugar was perfection.

Now, it's slower going. I started Dec 26th, and I'm down 18#. I am 52 this time, so I know that has a little to do with it. But, what I think is the major stumbling block are the higher carb items. I do not eat the crispy square every day like they say you can, and some do, and still are losing fast. I do not do the bars. I love the mug cake, and the SW cheese curls and the choc drink. I am going to go back to what I did in 2011. Choc drink, puddings, peach mango, pina colada and some soups. I really need this to work.

I cannot walk, which I love to do! I have a broken right foot.
    Would LOVE your thoughts.
    Thanks -
  • Sooze, welcome back!

I'm a relative newbie to the protocol; I started last June and lost 58 pounds in 5 months, using all alternative products. (And I'm 57.) I've never used official IP products but have friends and family who do.

You may be right about the higher carb items. This new trail mix certainly raises my eyebrows due to the high fat content. Some of the IP foods that are unrestricted would be restricted on the IP Alternatives Facebook page, and some of the IP restricted items wouldn't be allowed at all. One really wonders if it's a ploy on the part of IP to keep clients on the protocol longer = more $$$.

Now, having said that - 18 pounds in 7 weeks is still an average loss of 2.5 pounds/week, which is well within the expected 2-3 pounds/week loss for women. So you're really doing fine within what you've been eating. But you can certainly choose different foods and see if that changes anything.