Old 03-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

HIS - that is tough...are you still working or taking time off to heal?
lmao - I've seen the 'absorb calories through the skin' thing a LOT of places I won't lie that even I kind of wondered 10(ish) year ago about that...
I thought that's what I heard / read and it might have been here on these boards - like late summer 2015. I know they don't make changes very rapidly - but the introduction of the trail mix made me think the 'winds of change' are blowing...

and for the record...

:

told y'all I can't resist a scale when I see it (gym)...

& I'm back within a pound (149) of my "good" zone

I am so d@mn impatient (and know it )

Last edited by hysteria_625; 03-21-2016 at 03:44 PM.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #392  

So I have to get some work done today - blah! I can't believe it is already time to close the March books next week...and I am already behind

Hope everyone is doing well this morning

Try though I might, I couldn't resist pulling the scale out this morning, just to see if it was in line with the gym (and it's Tuesday, right?) - doing ok...still over my comfort zone a bit, but down -4 from Saturday - I'll take it!

Trying to stave off the nut butter monster by adding 2 slices of Schmidt's 647 low carb wheat bread to breakfast topped with 2T of PBFit - get it out of my system early, instead of trying to process a gut-full of it overnight. I am still keeping breakfast smaller than normal P3 for now.

DH continues to work on trying to heal his foot/heel - he was saying last night how much better it felt after he was on his feet working all day yesterday as opposed to sitting around over the weekend.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #393  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Beth, hm, do you think it could be plantar fascitis? That usually hurts more after inactivity, and feels better after motion.

Yes, I'm still working. My job involves almost all standing and light walking, nothing strenuous at all. And it's for 4-5 hours, not an 8 hour shift. No pain this morning, so I think I will try doing something at the gym today when DH goes for P.T. I had hoped to do a walk outside, but we're supposed to have 25 mph winds this afternoon, so no thank you!

The alternatives group admin said her chiropractor wasn't any help. She said he doesn't keep up with IP information very well. It seems to me that IP should have regional directors who could visit all the clinics and check on things, make sure the right info is being given to clients.

The scale is up another pound this morning. :sigh: I'm 6 pounds over goal weight and not at all happy about it. I don't know if I should do a couple of P1 days, or just push my calorie intake down to 1400 (I was around 1600), or change nothing and hope that walking/swimming does the trick. Thoughts?

DD and I booked our cruise yesterday, so I have that to work toward. We're leaving May 15 and will go to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. I'm very excited! I've never been to the Caribbean and I love beaches and warm weather. DD is half-Jamaican (she's adopted) so she's looking forward to seeing the country her biological dad is from. I cannot gain weight between now and then, all my summer clothes are size 8 and I refuse to go buy new, bigger clothes!
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #394  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

Good morning all!!!

Linda I am totally scared of the Facebook people.

blue I am not rolling my eyes at you!!! I think you're great! Yay! The board messed up on me yesterday too. Boo. Better copy and paste this post.

HIS So exciting about your cruise!!! Woo hoo!!! I've been to the Caribbean several times but never to those places. I hear Grand Cayman is beautiful. Sounds like fun. You won't need to buy bigger clothes. No way! I bet a lot of those 6 lbs are carb bloat, and based on that, P1 days may help...but of course the maintenance ladies will help more than I.

Beth Gotta remember your nut butter plan because I LOVE nut butters too. Hope DH takes care of himself. My DH has problems with his feet and I was so glad when he finally went to the podiatrist. He wears a brace at night and gets occasional cortisone shots...like maybe twice a year.

I'm on my own the next three nights since DH is going away for work. He's our cook but he made soup last night so that should last me a couple of days. I may stop at Subway one night for a chopped salad. I know, I know. I suck. I am a grown woman with a career, a husband, and two kids and I can't cook. I can make pasta and PBJ! That's why I gained weight. The stuff I can make just makes me fat. *sigh*
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #395  

While I have a private minute

We looked up fascitis but are leaning toward Achilles peritonitis, based on where the swelling / pain is at - right where the Achilles attaches to the heel - I was thinking bursitis too but again, everything we read said it would show up on X-rays

You and I are mirroring each other - exactly 6#s up from goal...but after reaching scream weight the other day I'll take this...
1. Remember, it's only 1 day that you've bounced up a pound - I would keep on at 1,600 / whatever exercise you are capable of doing comfortably - the swimming? Recumbent bike? Do you have hand weights at home you could use and work on arms / shoulders / chest? I also saw (online) about doing leg lifts - seats and on the floor...would help increase hip strength
Old 03-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #396  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
I know they don't make changes very rapidly - but the introduction of the trail mix made me think the 'winds of change' are blowing...
and for the record...
:
told y'all I can't resist a scale when I see it (gym)...
& I'm back within a pound (149) of my "good" zone
I am so d@mn impatient (and know it )
The trail mix- and the IP complete- imho I think they are money grabs- the Trail mix- one a day- but not restricted - go figure that one out when you read the #'s...smh...I say it's going to slow people down and keep them on the program longer and the IP complete just a money grab. but I digress...
Ah yes, impatient- I know too well...and congrats for being that much closer to your CZ - makes me happy for you!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Hope everyone is doing well this morning
Try though I might, I couldn't resist pulling the scale out this morning, just to see if it was in line with the gym (and it's Tuesday, right?) - doing ok...still over my comfort zone a bit, but down -4 from Saturday - I'll take it!
Trying to stave off the nut butter monster by adding 2 slices of Schmidt's 647 low carb wheat bread to breakfast topped with 2T of PBFit - get it out of my system early, instead of trying to process a gut-full of it overnight. I am still keeping breakfast smaller than normal P3 for now.
DH continues to work on trying to heal his foot/heel - he was saying last night how much better it felt after he was on his feet working all day yesterday as opposed to sitting around over the weekend.
Well, it's not Monday- but we are in a full moon cycle...so things are *ahem* a bit out of whack- myself included.....
Today was my scale day- it was a pleasant experience- now I will stay off till Saturday morning...honestly I'll be happy to make it to Friday morning...lol. Congratulations!!!! 4 lbs!!!! Think about it YAY!!!!!!
As far as the NB monster... ok- yes, last night I stuck my finger in before bed- but only a scridge- under a half tsp I am certain.....
I'm keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for your DH's foot to feel better-it really has to be awesome to share in the love of running together!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
Yes, I'm still working. My job involves almost all standing and light walking, nothing strenuous at all. And it's for 4-5 hours, not an 8 hour shift. No pain this morning, so I think I will try doing something at the gym today when DH goes for P.T. I had hoped to do a walk outside, but we're supposed to have 25 mph winds this afternoon, so no thank you!
The alternatives group admin said her chiropractor wasn't any help. She said he doesn't keep up with IP information very well. It seems to me that IP should have regional directors who could visit all the clinics and check on things, make sure the right info is being given to clients.
The scale is up another pound this morning. :sigh: I'm 6 pounds over goal weight and not at all happy about it. I don't know if I should do a couple of P1 days, or just push my calorie intake down to 1400 (I was around 1600), or change nothing and hope that walking/swimming does the trick. Thoughts?
DD and I booked our cruise yesterday, so I have that to work toward. We're leaving May 15 and will go to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. I'm very excited! I've never been to the Caribbean and I love beaches and warm weather. DD is half-Jamaican (she's adopted) so she's looking forward to seeing the country her biological dad is from. I cannot gain weight between now and then, all my summer clothes are size 8 and I refuse to go buy new, bigger clothes!
I hope that you're feeling well today. I'm glad that work isn't too terribly aggravating on your injury. I wish I knew the right answer for you- but I'm afraid I don't - Your cruise sounds amazing.
Nothing much new on the home front today- though for my "grain" at breakfast (and it was probably the wrong choice- but they were good...) I had about 8 pieces of Somersaults. The cinnamon ones, instead of bread. A nice change. Sun is out here, still on the chilly side, but Spring, it's a comin-so they say... I hope that everyone has a great day!!!
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #397  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post

Sorry to hear that, HIS
You could actually do any of those to lose a few lbs. You've been on this maintenance thing a lot longer than me, and you've learned a lot about your body's reactions to food, so you probably have a better "gut-feel" as to what would work. jmvho, I think a couple of P1 days is better if you've had a splurge, which I don't think is the case here.
And as I posted a couple of days ago, I lost a few lbs since coming home because I had set my calories too low ( not using MFP on vac, and using it this week showed me that). So maybe try cutting the calories first for a week or so. Maybe lower the carbs too. Did you say that the swimming doesn't cause pain? That should help too. I know you're tempted to walk more than you should, but you know you have to let your body heal. Think of being pain free on your vacation - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica - they all sound like great walking places to me! Picture yourself walking on one of those gorgeous beaches in your cute size 8 summer dress

Beth glad to hear the scale is inching down. It's been-what?- 10 days since your race - and who was it who said it takes about 2 weeks for the muscle inflammation to subside? It's happening
Hope you find out what your DH's injury is, and hopefully easily healed.

Linda Good to hear the scale was down for you today! I am going to have to find me some Somersaults, I know Target has them, but our Target doesn't have the food, just the clothes, closest one is about an hour away
I need more snack ideas! Mid-afternoon seems to be munchie-time for me

Candi - 3 whole days on your own! Nice to have time all to yourself, but yeah, hard to make an actual meal when it's only you! Glad you have some soup. When I'm on my own, I often pick up a rotisserie chicken, with some salad, makes a few meals

Speaking of soup, I like soup for lunch, and though I sometimes make my own, I like to keep a few cans around for days when I'm just lazy. I like the brothy ones better than the creamy ones, but most have rice/noodles --> carbs. Anyone found any that you like?

This is a day filled with a bunch of little things that have to get done, funny how they all pile up. Thought about making a big pot of chili, it's still coolish out, and tomorrow will likely be rain/snow, so leftovers will be nice. So I need a trip over to the store to get a few things, and while I'm out, I have a few other things to do. DH took the lawnmower in for a tune-up this morning; daffodils are almost blooming...spring is definitely coming

OK, I've dawdled here long enough, going out now!
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #398  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

blue: various afternoon snack ideas I have tried -

- baby carrots with hummus
- celery with PB or a powdered PB if you don't want the full-fat version
- an apple
- almonds - I like the smoked flavored ones, and 28 is a serving.
- Babybel Light cheese or string cheese
- Somersaults
- fat-free plain Greek yogurt flavored with WF jam or low-sugar Smuckers jam. Sometimes I throw a tbs. of Kind protein granola on top.
- sugar free jello

Most of the time I try to eat something with some protein in it. I don't worry too much about fat. You mentioned earlier that your fat intake is higher than recommended - mine too. I feel like I need the fat for satiety, especially on low-calorie days. I seem to do better with lower carbs but moderate/high fat.

Last edited by HereIStand; 03-22-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #399  

http://www.refinery29.com/minnesota-...ion-experiment

I really encourage everyone, but especially my friends in P4, to read this article about an experiment done during WWII - especially noting the behavioral aspects. I saved this link and am planning to spend some time re reading this and taking notes. I could relate to a lot of what the study noted and want to personally delve deeper into these issues.

I think it really stuck a chord - a raw nerve and something that's been bothering me for awhile...ie, how obsessed I've become about food and weight and its correlation to my overall health.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #400  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Good Evening - where did the day go. I had a late meeting at work and DH called me just as I was leaving work and suggested that I might stay in town. I cashed in some hotel rewards and after a meal at red robin turned in for the evening. That allowed me to get to work earlier and finish something I needed to get done.

Beth - Interesting read. The refeeding aspect was very interesting. I have been on IP as long as they were restricted. I don't find myself obsessed with food currently ( one of the reasons I like IP). Glad to hear the scale is being friendly.

Blue - I made a chicken soup this weekend. I put a 2 chicken halves in a crock pot with celery, spices and water. I let it cook on high for 4 - 5 hours. I cooked IP noodles for me and whole wheat noodles for company to add. I also roasted cauliflower an cabbage to add. It is lunch tomorrow.

Linda -I finished a box of IP trail mix over several weeks. I found it a great alternative for a packet on the go. I did find it filling. Not sure if it slowed my WL, but it has been slower the last few weeks. I am out now and will not have eaten any for this weeks weigh in. (I think I might need to change the day due to snow storm Cindy that is heading our way).

Candi - Are you kids home with you or do you have a truly empty house? I sometimes relish having some me time. It is nice that your husband is the house chef. I just can't trust my husbands cooking. He does weird things with food and can not be unsupervised when cooking especially with me on IP.

HIS -Sorry the scale is up again. It doesn't seem like you are eating enough calories to gain 1 # in a few days. Are you getting enough water? Anything with high sodium in the past few days? Maybe cut down to 1500? Congrats on the cruise. I have not been to Cozumel in a while and have never been to Jamaica. We went to Grand Cayman last year. Had a great time. My snorkeling was canceled due to waves so we did a tour of the island (picked up on shore). We went to **** and to a place that had dolphins (you could swim with if you wanted to) - to watch was free. Nice island.

DH is driving me crazy tonight. He is obsessing that we are overpaying for the house. I can not reason with him...I even offered to go on a train anywhere he wants to go if the appraiser appraises the house for less than what we are paying. We made the offer a week and half ago and now he is feeling screwed.
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #401  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

smda My kids are home with me. My dad came over yesterday evening to play with them while I got some chores done around the house.
Beth Wow. I love reading historical research studies, but this one was hard. I have some ideas about it though, which I can't help as a psychologist who likes to critique research. There was no intervention regarding thoughts that could have off set the psychological component of the hunger. I need to read it again though...tough stuff.
blue Great idea about the rotisserie chicken!

Hope everyone is well. Talk to you all soon.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #402  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Hi ladies! I know it has been quite awhile since I've posted anything. Life is good, health is excellent, weight loss has stopped but I know it is because I basically went into P4 without even thinking about it. I know that I can eat "regular" foods now and not let them take over my life. I also know what it takes to stay below my "scream weight"! I have not met my goal weight by any stretch but I am still wearing size 10/12, down from the 24/26 I was in when I started this journey. My new life as a divorced almost 56 year old is pretty sweet. I reconnected with someone I grew up with and we are living life as full time RVers, workkamping 2 days a week to cover the cost of a full hook up site in Alpine TX, near Big Bend National Park, an area I always dreamed of living in and now am blessed to actually be here! I have not given up on that 135lb goal weight but it feels great to be able to eat pretty much what I want and still maintain. I'll kick it back into Protocol gear soon and continue towards that goal. I think I needed to give myself a bit of a break. I hope all is going well for everyone and I'll see you around the boards (my internet is sketchy so it may be another little while again...)
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #403  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Beth, thought-provoking article. (The whole website is interesting.) I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I think you and I have struggled with some of the same problems as far as food obsession, maybe exercise addiction, etc. I know maintenance has been challenging for me in that I get weary of constantly thinking about food/weight. But I don't see a good middle ground. I'm not one of those naturally thin people who make healthy food choices without much effort. So I either have to be borderline obsessive about my diet, or I relax and then binge and then I find myself in the obese category. I can't seem to have a "normal" relationship with food either way. :/

DH didn't go to P.T. yesterday so I did no exercise, other than my shift at work last night. Today is my day to do errands in town, so I'm planning to go to the gym and do treadmill walking. Too windy again today to be outside.

I had a 1200 calorie day yesterday and lost a pound as of this morning. I know I'm not eating enough to gain/lose a pound of fat in a day or two, of course. But I can definitely tell I've lost some muscle definition in my legs since my running has stopped.

DD is stopping by tonight so we can talk more about the cruise. She's so excited; it will be fun to travel with her because she's a very upbeat person and grateful for every experience she gets, and not fussy about small details.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #404  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

FRAWNIE!!!!! Hello!!! You have been missed!!!! Life for you sounds absolutely wonderful! Nothing short of a dream. I am so very happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #405  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawniemae View Post
Hi ladies! I know it has been quite awhile since I've posted anything. Life is good, health is excellent, weight loss has stopped but I know it is because I basically went into P4 without even thinking about it. I know that I can eat "regular" foods now and not let them take over my life. I also know what it takes to stay below my "scream weight"! I have not met my goal weight by any stretch but I am still wearing size 10/12, down from the 24/26 I was in when I started this journey. My new life as a divorced almost 56 year old is pretty sweet. I reconnected with someone I grew up with and we are living life as full time RVers, workkamping 2 days a week to cover the cost of a full hook up site in Alpine TX, near Big Bend National Park, an area I always dreamed of living in and now am blessed to actually be here! I have not given up on that 135lb goal weight but it feels great to be able to eat pretty much what I want and still maintain. I'll kick it back into Protocol gear soon and continue towards that goal. I think I needed to give myself a bit of a break. I hope all is going well for everyone and I'll see you around the boards (my internet is sketchy so it may be another little while again...)
FRAWNIE!!!!!! So glad to hear from you lady! I am SO happy for you and your new life - LOVE the new profile picture with the friend and a huge CONGRATS on maintaining I am so proud of you! You are so amazing & what a success!

Candi - Would love to hear / share thoughts about the article. Like I said, it just struck a very raw nerve with me...I know the experiment was conducted 70 years ago and food components have changed...but part of me feels it is even worse now than it was then...

Sue - Sorry about DH & the house hope you guys come to a fair compromise - does he have solid reasoning behind his worries? I only ask b/c DH wanted to move in 2006, at the top of the market and I put my foot down - there was no logic behind our crackerjack starter house being worth $425K! It caused a lot of heartache / pain and truthfully almost ended our marriage in 2007. I unfortunately ended up being right - but am glad I held my stance of not moving. We'd be so underwater with whatever we would've bought right now we'd drown.
My obsession ebbs and flows - but there were plenty of nights on P1 where I was planning / fantasizing my next breakfast down to the last bite...and just recently have really stopped doing this - its especially tough on the weekends.
There was literally a point in December where I just couldn't stop thinking about food (around when I took my break...)
Like I said, it's getting better, but I still find myself occasionally slipping back into the pattern. Planning is one thing - but going to bed / not being able to shut down thoughts of the next mornings breakfast...probably not so healthy

Blue - yes, slowly but surely I guess...still a bit discomforted by how long my body is holding onto the weight though

HIS - did I miss something? what set you off on FB this morning lady calipers eh? I may just order a set!

DH finally really talked to me last night / this morning. He needed time to process his injury and realize, unfortunately, he is out for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler on 4/2
Last night was just awful...I knew something was bothering him - we've been together almost 25 years & he isn't a poker player - his lying sucks.
So after some back and forth & some cussing it finally came out about his decision for the 10 miler. He is one of these 'all or nothing' people so it was "I'm never running again"..."I'm just going to start eating McDonalds everyday and get fat..." "I'm a worthless POS if I can't run"...- ugh! And while I hate to come across as less than empathetic, it's just over the top, kwim?
I finally talked him 'off the ledge' so to speak, and brought him dinner (I made a banging spaghetti last night with Janeva's sauce and some organic turkey meatballs! Mine was on zoodles )
He's finally come all the way around this morning...last night he was still really grumpy and saying he wasn't even going to come down to the race...well now, he is signed up to volunteer at the bag check & he doesn't have to go through the lottery to run next year, he is guaranteed entry!

I went out with a heavy heart this morning - I hate fighting with anyone - and did a slower-than-normal 5 miles...& I need to work the hip flexors back up to hill-running pace. My last couple outdoor runs have been fairly flat - and Monday was treadmill.

& going to touch back on that article I linked to last night:
I've been reading the comments and a couple have good points about the restricted diet itself being high in carbs - and the article doesn't not go into detail about how it was parsed out for nutritional macros - ie, making sure what they were eating was fulfilling basic nutrients, something we know IP insists on through supplements.

but who here on P1 didn't:
"noted an overwhelming apathy among the subjects, punctuated by paradoxical periods of irrational irritability."

ie, the hangries

I readily admit to licking the chocolate off of wrappers, or using my finger to wipe up any residual crumbs / leavings on my plates

"Many men began obsessively collecting recipes"

*raises hand* - although again, this ebbs and flows. Once I find a couple new ones I really like, I'll back off for awhile.

"distracted by constant daydreams of food." &
"guzzled water, seeking fullness."

Check and check...

"indifference and boredom when it came to personal development and basic socializing. "Budding romances collapsed" and sexual desire evaporated"

Complete ennui at work...I still look from time to time for other employment, but there hasn't been a pressing urge...and lets just not go there about the bedroom - neither of us...and a lot boils down to exhaustion.

I could go on but this has taken most of the day I realize we all are different and I am only touching on issues that effect me personally - and of course, there are other factors involved, especially in the last quote with our running.
Just issues to think on and reflect, imho.