Old 10-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #331  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Missy, I don't know if you've heard about Janeva Eickhoff's IP cookbook, but it's all the rage among protocol users who like to cook. If your clinic doesn't carry it, you can find it on her website: http://www.janevasidealrecipes.com

mamacita, 3FC is my go-to support site. There are too many people who know me IRL on the assorted IP Facebook pages for me to be posting a lot there. And I like that here we can discuss tweaks to the protocol and not get reprimanded for it.

Linda, I have never heard that more than two WF servings can put you out of ketosis. Interesting. Especially since they have no carbs? I don't understand how it can happen. But I hope you start to see a downturn on the scale soon. And I agree, keeping some kind of food log is really important!

haha, I don't understand those weird pants sizes either. 28? What is that? The waist size? (I understand inseam sizes.) Fortunately, NY & Co just had regular old-fashioned sizes so I headed for the 8 Talls and scored a beautiful pair of black dress pants and a pair of jeans. I also bought some navy blue dress pants without trying them on, which proved to be a mistake, because they don't fit as well as the black ones, so I'll be making a return trip. I need either a bigger size in that cut, or a more roomy cut in the seat. FYI, for anyone shopping there, the Runway Fit fits like yoga pants, so you really want to make sure they're not too tight!

I wandered around Bed, Bath, & Beyond for an hour, picking out a gift and wishing I could buy a milk frother, but of course I can't even HAVE those high-calorie lattes anymore! I also tried out a digital scale. Can't remember the brand name (it looked like this one: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...le-silver.html ), but it got my weight and BMI right, and said I'm at 26.1% body fat, which puts me in the acceptable range. I don't really need a new scale, but I have to say it was nice to read numbers other than just weight.

Rain, rain, rain. I debated on going to the gym this morning, but I have too much to do before the bridal shower. It will just have to be a rest day for me, and I'll hope and pray I can get some kind of exercise in tomorrow afternoon. It's supposed to rain most of next week, thanks to Hurricane Patricia.

Last edited by HereIStand; 10-24-2015 at 11:02 AM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #332  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

UGH. I made it to the last week of this diet and then had a major cheat. The bridal shower was SO HARD. The hostess had a fabulous spread, all specialty foods that were so gorgeous - and of course it was all carbs. Sangria, mojitos, fruits, breads with spreads, and about 12 different kinds of cookies, plus a cake. All I could eat was celery. My daughter was with me, so I tried to stay strong for her. I did sneak a few plain almonds and 3 candy corns, but otherwise I was good.

My mistake was bringing home a platter of goodies to put in the freezer for later. By evening (my hangry time), I had had a mini cupcake, a truffle, and a big chocolate-dipped pretzel stick. If I didn't knock myself out of ketosis, I'll be shocked. SIGH.

After the shower, we went to Central Market and then Trader Joe's to look for diet foods. I found shredded Brussels sprouts, which I brought home and roasted with olive oil and salt. So yummy! I wish I had bought more. Wonder if I can shred them in a food processor myself. I also bought an Ansi cheesecake protein bar, which didn't live up to the hopes I had for it.

No rain predicted this morning, although it's terribly overcast and cool. I'm going out in 5 minutes to do my speed work. I consider it punishment for yesterday's food debacle. Bah.

Last edited by HereIStand; 10-25-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #333  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Raining here in Southeast Texas but the worst is to the south of me. Still very wet though. My trees are dancing in the rain!!
I lowered my goal weight by 15 pounds. Partly becasue I am not ready to tackle maintenance but mostly because that will put me in a better place mentally. When I started IP, I really had no confidence that I would lose as much as I have and all I really wanted to do was to be out of the 200s. Once I started and so how truly easy it was to lose I bumped it down to 175, then 150 and now I know I can make it down to what I really want to be - 135. So, unless my body just refuses to go that low, I hope to hit it by Valentines Day.
Some weeks I lose slow then BAM! I'll drop 2 pounds in a couple days so I am learning more every day what I need to do to keep the WL going.
I am so loving my new life!

Last edited by frawniemae; 10-25-2015 at 10:07 AM.
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #334  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
I found shredded Brussels sprouts, which I brought home and roasted with olive oil and salt.
Sounds really good. Brussels Sprouts have never been one of my favorite veggies, but this time of year they're easy to find, so might have to give that a try.

I don't know if you're a fan of Cook's Country on PBS, but this weekend, one of the recipes was a shredded Brussels Sprout salad. Looked yummy, though it had cheese and pine nuts, but I'd just leave that out for me and add them for everyone else. Makes sense to have them raw - they're basically tiny cabbages.. so, they'd taste like coleslaw

recipe:
Raw Brussels Sprout Salad

3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, grated
2 pounds raw Brussels sprouts trimmed, halved and sliced very thin (either by hand or with the slicer attachment of a food processor)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 1/2 cup Pecorino cheese, shredded

1. Combine the lemon juice, mustard, salt, shallot and garlic, then whisk in the oil.
2. Add the dressing to the sprouts and let it all sit for 30 minutes
3. Add the nuts, and cheese.
Season with more salt and pepper to taste.

Sorry about your cheat, but it's one bad day, sometimes they're just hard to avoid. But today is a new day, and you know you'll get right back on track!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawniemae View Post
Raining here in Southeast Texas but the worst is to the south of me. Still very wet though. My trees are dancing in the rain!!
I lowered my goal weight by 15 pounds. Partly becasue I am not ready to tackle maintenance but mostly because that will put me in a better place mentally. When I started IP, I really had no confidence that I would lose as much as I have and all I really wanted to do was to be out of the 200s. Once I started and so how truly easy it was to lose I bumped it down to 175, then 150 and now I know I can make it down to what I really want to be - 135. So, unless my body just refuses to go that low, I hope to hit it by Valentines Day.
Some weeks I lose slow then BAM! I'll drop 2 pounds in a couple days so I am learning more every day what I need to do to keep the WL going.
I am so loving my new life!
Frawnie - I did the same thing. When I started, I had no idea where I wanted to end up, just figured 50 lb sounded like a good loss. I know other people here have done the same, but as you get closer to that first "pie in the sky" goal, and especially after learning that the diet works, it only makes sense to have a second thought about where that goal should be.
I picked the top of my healthy BMI range, and I think it should be a good place to end up. Like you, I'm going to wait and see. So far, like you, I'm still losing, still feeling good. Hope I can get there . Considering how well you've done so far, you'll be having a BIG celebration come Valentine's day

Glad to hear you've avoided the worst of the rain, sure sounds like a lot of people in Texas are not having a great weekend!
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #335  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Frawnie, I'm so excited about your loss! I remember when you began; now you're a pro! I, too, had a higher goal when I first started IP and lowered it 10 pounds. Then, when I got to goal, I lost an addition 7 pounds. I haven't been able to maintain at the additional -7, although I have been able to maintain at the goal. (or goal +/-5)

I'm in the middle of a reboot, but doing very well. I know I'll get back to my goal. I have not gained (nor will I ever gain) it all back. You can do this, too!

I'm also getting a lot of this rain. I was supposed to go to Dallas this weekend, but cancelled due to the flooding. Stay safe!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #336  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

HIS - It was one moment - pick up, dust off. Imvho, DON'T "punish" yourself. I don't equate anything positive with "punishment". Accept responsibility, learn, grow...easier said than done though.
Glad you were able to stay strong for your daughter - hope she is doing well!

Frawnie - YOU ROCK! I believe you've gone about this the right way - set realistic goals and continue to meet them, with authority!!
I too am one that lowered my goal weight but I think my body has other ideas. 4 weeks / 27 days from today, we'll see where I fall

Blue - mmmmm, brussel sprouts! Wegmans had them on the stalk yesterday. They were gorgeous! I didn't get them, as I am trying to keep my carbs a little lower right now with the fat experiment in full swing, but know they will be a staple in P4

All Texas / SE U.S. peeps - stay safe!

Last night was a lot of fun! Picture attached (Little Red Riding H0, )...most of the people at the party hadn't seen me in a year (outside of DH's family). Everyone was so encouraging. Talk about motivation to stay on the straight and narrow & do well in maintenance!
DH otoh, isn't doing so well today. He had to do the "walk of shame" this morning to clean the truck off sleeping now...I'm a little worried b/c he hasn't been able to keep anything down yet - but maybe this nap will help. I've really enjoyed being the sober-one at these parties. Hangovers SUCK!

Excited to report the Miralax finally helped Saw a picture the other day of a guy wearing a shirt with a stick figure making an "I did it" pose and it said "I Pooped" LMAO!!!!

The IP struggle is REAL

Rainy, sleepy day here today. Got my cooking / shopping done yesterday (we were suppose to spend the night at the party but another couple got too drunk, so I drove us home) I get a real break today! Also, DD19 went to a local amusement park yesterday so now owes us a good house cleaning (and agreed to it). I have a stove to do but I can do that one evening.
It's suppose to clear later and the leaves / trees are beautiful right now, so a walk may happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red riding 102415.jpg (35.0 KB, 29 views)
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #337  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Looking good Hysteria!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #338  

S/C/G: 187/182/130

Height: 5'4''

Hello ladies....I need HELP!

On the 12 of august i started my reboot.(after many failures) but i was doing it and feeling great...went down to 142! on day 39 I fell off the wagon...for no reason...I got home from camp...was watching tv..and decided to have chips...and did not stop...

I am ashamed to say that today is day 29 of my binging....i am back up to 168..i get up everyday and say...ok stop...make it to 3 pm or 9 pm and then I eat till I feel like I will burst...I am so ashamed...people are looking at me...last year at this time I weighed 127.6...i looked and felt great...now i look like a blimp...feel like s***...
Last time I made a comitment to come to this site instrad of food and it worked for 39 days...since then I have been avoiding you ladies...

So here I go again...I know I can do this...I will do this... i comit to coming here everyday to be accountable and for support...

You ladies are great...I will backtrack and read what has been going on to catch up...
Loser13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #339  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser13 View Post
So here I go again...I know I can do this...I will do this... i comit to coming here everyday to be accountable and for support...
Loser13 - I'm so glad you decided to come back
You've taken that most important first step, and the only day you have to get through is today. You know you can do this, you've already proven that to yourself; the plan works.
I know, for myself, it has been a huge help to come here every day, for help or support, or just to see the great examples of the people who are having such success...or even to see that when someone has a "slip", it isn't the end of anything if they get right back to plan. Motivation , for sure!!
I can't remember who, but someone mentioned the 20-minute thing...if you have a temptation, set your timer for 20 min before you put that something in your mouth. Chances are you'll get past it.

Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing. We're all in this together!!

Beth - that costume is great, you look amazing!! bet you got lots of compliments

Our neighbours next door had a Halloween party for the little kids (3 to 6) yesterday afternoon. Must have been about 20 kids...Gosh, they were all so cute. They turned their shed into a haunted house, had little pumpkins hidden all over the yard for the kids to find and decorate... and instead of bobbing for apples, they had donuts hanging on a string for the kids to try to bite (amazing how well they all did too ) Of course there were lots of goodies for the adults, but good for me, I resisted!

DH is off to Toronto today, going to get together with some old friends for lunch, so I'm on my own today. Which is probably a good thing. I didn't get anything much accomplished last week, so I have a long list today.

happy Monday everyone, have a great week!!
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #340  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Loser13 no judgment here. I think we all know we're just a chip away from binging ourselves. (See my post from yesterday!) It's a lifelong struggle to learn self-discipline. Have you thought about journaling? Maybe keeping a record of your feelings and thoughts, both at the time of craving and when you feel in control, might help you work through your relationship with food. And if you're not already doing it, get out and walk! I can't stress enough how much walking helps with weight control and mental balance.

Beth, wowsa! Hot mama! I'm so glad you had fun AND had a restful Sunday. You've had some difficult days lately, I'm sure the break was good for you.

Blue, I love my "alone days." I'm quite content to putter around on my own. I don't know what I'll do when my husband retires and gets in the middle of my daily life. LOL.

I seriously cannot believe how adding fat to my diet at this point has helped so much. I'm losing consistently every day now again, and feeling better. Yesterday we went to lunch at a steak place, mainly so my son & his fiancee' could give it the okay for the rehearsal dinner location. I had a 10 oz. chopped steak, broccoli (with butter), and a salad with real house vinegarette dressing. When I put it all in my food tracking app, I nearly fell over when I saw the fat content. I was careful the rest of the day, but my caloric intake was way high and I expected the scale to disappoint me this morning. Nope. Down 3/4 of a pound again. I wonder if the increased muscle mass (or increased USE of my muscle mass) is what's burning the extra fat.

I'm just 1.25 pounds away from my official goal of 155, which I'm sure I'll reach by my deadline of next Monday. If I can get to 153 by then, bonus! But hopefully will reach that number in P2. Frawnie, when I picked my goal weight, I basically chose a number that was right in the middle of the normal weight range for my height. I've tweaked it +/- 5 pounds as I got closer. It's really tempting to want to go even lower, but I think if I got down in the 140s, I'd look pretty skeletal and unhealthy. I think you are wise to be flexible about your final number.

I'll do my run later this morning, while DH is at his physical therapy appointment (today is his day off). Then it's laundry and cleaning and working on a few wedding projects. We went and got hay for our cows last night, so that chore is done for the week. Daylight savings time ends on Sunday; I'm not looking forward to darkness at 5pm.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #341  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Thanks Blue / IPN / HIS (as we overlap morning posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser13 View Post

13 - you have taken the biggest step already - accountability. I don't believe there is a person on the boards who hasn't struggled in one way or another. Cravings are real, and they are difficult to deal with at times. I believe IP is 80% mental, 20% physical - it really is mind over matter.
I saw a method they use / give to those over coming addictions - Blue mentioned it, I'll just clarify that what I read was when you are overcome with the urge to do something you know you shouldn't, such as splurge in the pantry or fridge, set a timer for 15 minutes - do something, anything, but what you were planning on doing to derail you from your goal.
- make a cup of hot tea
- read
- come here and vent / post - get it out!
- make a list of why you are doing IP
- go for a walk (although it sounds like your issue is mainly late in the evening)

Also, BE PREPARED! This means having protocol friendly food around at all times! Free veggies, a couple hard boiled eggs, extra packets - this way, if after the 15 minutes you are still hungry, you can have something that isn't going completely off the rails. Especially during the first week as you are getting back into ketosis...and even after that - imvho it is better to "splurge" with an extra IP-friendly snack than having something off protocol.

You've done it before, you CAN do this again!

HIS - congrats! I am thrilled for you! I definitely got my fat on Saturday eating 3 low-carb deviled eggs (Dukes mayo & dill pickles)...but cut back yesterday. The scale is creeping in the right direction, but I am not holding out much hope of -7 pounds over the next 26 days. I wish I had Alexandra's analytical skills - I am starting to think the upper 140's might be about where my body wants to land - ie, the constant hunger, needing more calories, etc...and the issues (tummy / rear) will need to be resolved with vigilance in maintenance and toning exercise / weights.

Happy Monday!

I ended up taking a nap yesterday, so no walk - and wasn't able to sleep last night - ugh! Idk why I do that to myself - love naps, but they don't love me.

So now I am running on about 5 hours of sleep with SO much to do at work. Saved a part of breakfast to have around 10:30 to give myself a mental jolt.

Last edited by hysteria_625; 10-26-2015 at 10:40 AM.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #342  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
Loser13 no judgment here. I think we all know we're just a chip away from binging ourselves. (See my post from yesterday!) It's a lifelong struggle to learn self-discipline. Have you thought about journaling? Maybe keeping a record of your feelings and thoughts, both at the time of craving and when you feel in control, might help you work through your relationship with food. And if you're not already doing it, get out and walk! I can't stress enough how much walking helps with weight control and mental balance.

Beth, wowsa! Hot mama! I'm so glad you had fun AND had a restful Sunday. You've had some difficult days lately, I'm sure the break was good for you.

Blue, I love my "alone days." I'm quite content to putter around on my own. I don't know what I'll do when my husband retires and gets in the middle of my daily life. LOL.

I seriously cannot believe how adding fat to my diet at this point has helped so much. I'm losing consistently every day now again, and feeling better. Yesterday we went to lunch at a steak place, mainly so my son & his fiancee' could give it the okay for the rehearsal dinner location. I had a 10 oz. chopped steak, broccoli (with butter), and a salad with real house vinegarette dressing. When I put it all in my food tracking app, I nearly fell over when I saw the fat content. I was careful the rest of the day, but my caloric intake was way high and I expected the scale to disappoint me this morning. Nope. Down 3/4 of a pound again. I wonder if the increased muscle mass (or increased USE of my muscle mass) is what's burning the extra fat.

I'm just 1.25 pounds away from my official goal of 155, which I'm sure I'll reach by my deadline of next Monday. If I can get to 153 by then, bonus! But hopefully will reach that number in P2. Frawnie, when I picked my goal weight, I basically chose a number that was right in the middle of the normal weight range for my height. I've tweaked it +/- 5 pounds as I got closer. It's really tempting to want to go even lower, but I think if I got down in the 140s, I'd look pretty skeletal and unhealthy. I think you are wise to be flexible about your final number.

I'll do my run later this morning, while DH is at his physical therapy appointment (today is his day off). Then it's laundry and cleaning and working on a few wedding projects. We went and got hay for our cows last night, so that chore is done for the week. Daylight savings time ends on Sunday; I'm not looking forward to darkness at 5pm.
HereisStand did you workout throughout your entire IP journey?
I'm phasing off starting this week because I am meeting with a personal trainer to start training next week (when I start Phase III). I'm terrified I will gain weight while working out, but knowing there is a possibility I will lose inches is what motivates me. I am also hoping to lose another 10 lbs in the next 6 weeks with my trainer because I cannot seem to go below 135 on IP.
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #343  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

[QUOTE=Sunflower40;5211494]HereisStand did you workout throughout your entire IP journey?
I'm phasing off starting this week because I am meeting with a personal trainer to start training next week (when I start Phase III). I'm terrified I will gain weight while working out, but knowing there is a possibility I will lose inches is what motivates me. I am also hoping to lose another 10 lbs in the next 6 weeks with my trainer because I cannot seem to go below 135 on IP. I am finding that even though I've lost a bit of weight in the last 2 months my inches haven't moved much at all. It worries me that I'm not losing fat but losing muscle instead. My coach convinced me to try this body fat machine thingy and every time I use it it shows my lean mass drops. Not sure how accurate they are but that's sort of playing in my head that I'm losing muscle and not fat.

Last edited by Sunflower40; 10-26-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #344  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower40 View Post
HereisStand did you workout throughout your entire IP journey?
I'm phasing off starting this week because I am meeting with a personal trainer to start training next week (when I start Phase III). I'm terrified I will gain weight while working out, but knowing there is a possibility I will lose inches is what motivates me. I am also hoping to lose another 10 lbs in the next 6 weeks with my trainer because I cannot seem to go below 135 on IP.
Background: Although I certainly wasn't fit when I started the protocol, I was probably more active than the average IP user. I've always been a walker, and I hiked, and I live on a hobby farm where I occasionally have to lift 50-pound bags of feed and things like that. I also have a degree in exercise physiology so I knew what to watch for in terms of warning signs of over-exertion.

I didn't do any formal exercise the first month on protocol. Then I started purposeful walking. Just a mile at first, and gradually increased the distance and pace until I could walk at least 3 miles in one go, at about 3.5 mph. I was careful about watching my heart rate and weight loss pattern. If my weight had stalled, I was prepared to change/reduce my walking. I also wear a FitBit and try to always get in 10,000 steps/day.

Once I was about 20 pounds from goal, I started the Couch-to-5K running program. This begins as a very low intensity program, with just short jogging times interspersed with longer walking times, so I didn't feel like it was too much exertion. I was careful to have some calories before my morning exercise (usually 1/2 RTD shake) and I made sure to have my full protocol breakfast afterward, within 30-60 minutes of exercise.

Note that this is NOT IP protocol, and you have to be cautious about exercise with such a low caloric intake. However, I firmly believe that all dieters should be at least walking.

When you move to P3, your existing muscle mass will refill the glycogen stores, so you'll probably see the scale go up 2-5 pounds. However, as you exercise and build muscle mass, that muscle will burn more calories, which in turn reduces fat. It's a trade off.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #345  

Default Looking for Advice

When I restarted this journey, I planned on having a cheat on 10/30. We attend a charity fundraiser every year and it's always a good time! I find I'm struggling with the should I or shouldn't I (cheat).

The food being served fits into protocol, which is good. The part I'm on the fence about is the alcohol. It's all you can drink beer (carb overload), which I had already decided I wouldn't do. I don't want the ketosis flu again. My friend, who is doing this journey with me, plans on having vodka tonic, which I had also debated doing.

I know most people on here follow this plan to a T. Anyone have a similar situation? What did you do? Any suggestions or recommendations?
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote