Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Default Heat & IP

Summer has finally arrived in NoVa - this afternoons heat index is predicted to be above 100 (gotta love humidity). We are going to an outdoor concert venue - gates at 6:30...getting in line by 5:00

I had issues (dizziness, fatigue, fuzziness) in the heat a couple weeks ago camping / outdoor concert & had ate a normal IP amount...ended up eating an extra burger (with salt & mustard) and felt fine again.

I won't be exercising as much tonight, but was just wondering if anyone else has issues with heat / VLC / IP? Is it typical to need to eat a few more calories when exposed to high temperatures - is it our bodies are burning extra trying to keep us cool???

I am going to have emergency salt packets on me tonight and will be eating a dinner packed with plenty of sodium & bringing an extra snack if needed - also will be staying really well hydrated.

Any other sage advice?

(Just FYI - In regards to a medical condition - according to my recent full physical / blood work up, I am healthy as can be...)
Old 06-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #62  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Hello everyone! I'm on day 2 of my restart...I peed my brains out yesterday and I was down a couple of lbs this morning as a result. Even losing lbs of water feels great! LOL

Right now, I am starving and we are having a BBQ at work today. I don't know what they'll be making but I have lettuce and cukes in the fridge so I can probably have some protein and some veggies. Then I'll have a package for dinner tonight.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #63  

Wow so many huge successes from everyone can't even write out all the names - yay to us all!!!

Shark thank you for what you wrote about excuses. I woke up thinking about it today. I have been thinking the last few days about whatever part of me is still a victim and allows myself to make excuses. It's not happening so much in the health area right now, but I'm noticing it at work. When things go wrong, I'm looking at the part of me that blames other people, and would prefer to be a victim rather than just handle it without always this "inner complaint" dialogue that sometimes overflows into judgement and resentment and repressed upset at things and people around me. I don't like writing about it and certainly don't like facing that it's there. The only person that is hurting is me - it causes me to build stress and not be at peace during the day.
What I realized this morning is that if I did start to re-gain weight, for sure I would come up with some kind of excuse that would probably sound very good and I would convince myself it's somehow OK.... I want to make SURE I take full responsibility - and if that scream weight happens, it's noone's fault but mine, and it's noone's job but mine to handle it.

travelingras several of us have had very successful trips where we even lost weight, to Europe or around the US. Definitely doable. I felt so good when I got back from my last trip from Europe. So much better than coming back with a food and weight hangover.

Bootros congrats on all of your wins on your trips - amazing!

Beth I don't feel like an expert in regard to your question, but I do know last summer during P1 I was doing hot yoga and walking regularly and I had to take a lot of electrolytes. The mangosteen packets really worked for me, I sometimes drank up to 3 a day. And I added an extra packet, sometimes two, whenever needed. I had all the symptoms you describe when I over-exerted. I esp. noticed it after several hours of work - say a "spring cleaning" type 8 hour day .... all of a sudden I would hit a clear wall, like all the energy dropped out of me. And yes, protein (like a burger or a packet) for sure calmed it down and at least calmed down the blood sugar drop out. If I had a protein drink a lot of times that absorbed right away. But I still had to stop for the day.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 06-12-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #64  
IP start date 12/12/12

i survived lunch...a burger w/ no cheese on top of my lettuce and cuke salad. Everything else was all carbs! But I was strong and I feel good about it.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Awesome mrskuby!

Liana, I always value your contributions to the forum

Hysteria, heat and me never get along! But I never had to deal with it on IP. For sure stay hydrated and enjoy the performance!

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskuby View Post
i survived lunch...a burger w/ no cheese on top of my lettuce and cuke salad. Everything else was all carbs! But I was strong and I feel good about it.

Awesome mrskuby! Great choice! One meal at a time

Amber - Thanks! Not planning on doing any more walking than I have to in this ridiculous heat - from the car to the line and from the line to the lawn & then the bathroom probably if I don't sweat it all out lol
Mangosteen? I looked it up and Amazon shows it's a liquid concentrate (of a tropical fruit?)? I buy Proti-Diet Mango/Peach & Grape concentrates - have a couple of those with me too...or is Mangosteen something different? As long as soy isn't involved, I am always looking for new things
Old 06-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #67  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Awesome mrskuby! Great choice! One meal at a time

Amber - Thanks! Not planning on doing any more walking than I have to in this ridiculous heat - from the car to the line and from the line to the lawn & then the bathroom probably if I don't sweat it all out lol
Mangosteen? I looked it up and Amazon shows it's a liquid concentrate (of a tropical fruit?)? I buy Proti-Diet Mango/Peach & Grape concentrates - have a couple of those with me too...or is Mangosteen something different? As long as soy isn't involved, I am always looking for new things
Sorry Beth it's an IP product - 0 calorie flavoring you put in water for a drink - are you doing IP or alt?

What I'm using now it from Alacer Corp that makes Emergen-C - it's called "ElectroMix" - also 0 cal.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #68  

Quote:

Old 06-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #69  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Beth is right - the heat index is around 100 here in northern VA today and for the coming several days, per the forecast. Looking forward to dancing in the AC with air circulating fans this evening....

Liana - I have to ask about your rhubarb plant -- is it a cool weather veggie? Something you grow and harvest before the heat of the Summer, and only in the Spring? or will you be able to harvest all Summer, or again in the Fall? Did you start with a transplant or seeds? If seeds, did you have to start them before planting in the garden, or could you just sow seeds? And is is an annual or a perennial? My DH is still planting in our garden, which I find is really a 'farmette' and if we can still plant some, I will get him on it right away!!!

Shark and Beth -- regarding rhubarb in the grocery store -- I looked for fresh or frozen in the stores in my area - Safeway and Giant and Harris Teeter all carry the fresh rhubarb now and then but not consistently -- gotta look for it in the produce section every time you go to the store. I have found it in Trader Joe's and Whole Foods from time to time, too. I have also searched for frozen rhubarb, and I finally found some at Safeway. It was on the bottom shelf of the freezer cabinet in the fruit or veggie section, and what I found was in a brown bio-degradable paper bag (not plastic)- it is Stahlbush Ruby Red Rhubarb. I love the frozen rhubarb because it is quick and easy to prepare.

Last edited by oneuh2; 06-12-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #70  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Great job! Doesn't it seem like all the work functions happen when we go on IP? I have had two work functions in the week since I started, with another one next week! Have made it through without cheating! I had a grilled chicken salad with IP approved veggies, no dressing. I used a ton of salsa to flavor it. Then I had a soup that I was lucky to find at another restaurant -- a stuffed bell pepper soup with ground beef: Celery, tomato sauce, sliced peppers, and ground beef, plus spices. Whew!
Old 06-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 240.2/144/145

I am happy to announce I'm officially in P2 - I've been reading the boards and thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experience. I don't post often but find this a great source for both information and inspiration.

thank you all
Old 06-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #72  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabmva View Post
I am happy to announce I'm officially in P2 - I've been reading the boards and thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experience. I don't post often but find this a great source for both information and inspiration.

thank you all
Congrats!!! Way to go!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #73  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabmva View Post

thank you all
Congrats Andrea, great accomplishment.

I didn't post at all until I started to get ready for P2 -just read the boards every few months. P1 was pretty straightforward for me and I had/have a really good coach. But going into maintenance was the harder time for me where I needed more support and everyone's experience. Let us know if you have questions as you go along.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #74  
IP start date 12/12/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogirl View Post
Great job! Doesn't it seem like all the work functions happen when we go on IP? I have had two work functions in the week since I started, with another one next week! Have made it through without cheating! I had a grilled chicken salad with IP approved veggies, no dressing. I used a ton of salsa to flavor it. Then I had a soup that I was lucky to find at another restaurant -- a stuffed bell pepper soup with ground beef: Celery, tomato sauce, sliced peppers, and ground beef, plus spices. Whew!
Mmm...that pepper soup sounds great!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #75  

Hi Every one! I just started on Monday and so excited about this, especially after seeing how its working for my sister who wanted me to try with her. I have hypothyroidism and have seen many posts on FB and such about people getting off their meds and such and gives me hope.

I have two questions tho...

1) Any advice for shift work... I work in nursing so my shifts change all the time (as in working 3 nights, then go to days (12 hour shifts) or just to 8 hour days and evenings).. Right now for the next 4 weeks i'm working mostly nights but do have 3 days thrown in ... Any advice because I slept through my lunch today and woke up in time for suppper which I dont Ihink is a good thing

2) I'm in phase one and have seen many reciepes for supper with an added IP for breading and such... Can i do this?

Thanks
Closed Thread