Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I've said many times that phase 1 in the weight-loss it produces doesn't eliminate my problem but it puts me in remission from obesity. It is my job to do what I need to do every day to stay in remission otherwise I will relapse.
That puts things in an interesting perspective, I'm going to have to "chew" on that for a bit.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post
That puts things in an interesting perspective, I'm going to have to "chew" on that for a bit.
I consider obesity to be a disease from which I can control my remission. However there is literature out there that talks about previously overweight people responding differently to food and calories than never overweight people. For example previously overweight people cannot eat as many calories in a day and maintain their weight as people who have never been overweight

I think one of the books may be called "refuse to regain"

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-06-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Corrected grammar
Old 03-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/160/130

Height: 5'5

I have a quick question and I hope this is the right place. I would like to start the IP program however all of the centers around me are far to expensive for the food, etc. I've noticed the "alternative" threads and was wondering is "theproteinstore.com" the exact same products? I'm just not sure how to get started without the help of a coach...i'm finding myself in a bit of a catch 22 situation here

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 208.5/193.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

NSV last night at the movies....went to see "The Dropbox" with a group of friends and said no to the lovely smelling buttered popcorn that was offered to me not once but three times! I ate my protein bar just at the start of the show as my "treat" and resolved to stay strong! Afterwards we went to Starbucks for another treat and I treated myself to a small skinny latte. I think I did alright! TOM FINALLY started yesterday so I am looking forward to a better WI next Tuesday... yippee Yahoo!

Have good OP weekend everyone!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Weather delayed my WI again this week, but I'm down 3.2 pounds in my second week! Since I was short on veggies a couple of days (I know, bad magpie!) and since I have sore shoulders, arms, neck, and back from shoveling (which means maybe some water retention in my muscles?), I'm really pleased with that number! Yay!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #21  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1603 View Post
I'm not sure where to put this post so I apologize if I should have posted somewhere else....
I am really struggling to get back on track. I started Sept 2014, phased off in December due to an all inclusive holiday. Started back in January and lost the 10lbs I had gained. Had unexpected family issues, illness and holiday in February and have fallen off the wagon again. I have not weighed but can feel the weight gain. I have not been able to get back to my clinic for weeks now. I am hoping next Wednesday I will be able to get there. I have enough food but no will power. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you get yourself back on track when you fall off? Every morning I say today is the day...but as soon as I meet temptation, I give in. I have 30lbs to lose and really want to get this done! Thanks to anyone who read this. I actually feel more motivated by writing this down ��
Quote:
Hi Sarah
You posted in the perfect place.

Sticking to the plan really is much more of a mental battle than it is a physical one. We know what to eat but making ourselves do it without making excuses is another story altogether. I'd like to suggest the book "The Beck Diet Solution". The entire book is about the cognitive process of making such a huge change in our life. It walks you through a whole bunch of steps on a six week plan.

Many of us understand. We've struggled much of our lives. I've said many times that phase 1 and the weight-loss it produces doesn't eliminate my problem but it puts me in remission from obesity. It is my job to do what I need to do every day to stay in remission otherwise I will relapse. There is a whole rebooters thread of people who are struggling or who have regained. It's there because you are not alone.

Truth. Mind over matter. Being addicted to food is really no different than any other addiction, whether it be to drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. Once an addict, always an addict. But it is a choice you have to make daily, hourly sometimes even moment to moment, to not give in to the cravings. It won't always be easy; in fact it will be dang hard at times. but like Lisa's tag line reads (in my words since I don't remember it verbatim ) it's hard to be fat, it's hard to stick to a diet, and it's hard to maintain the weight loss. You have to pick your "hard".
Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #22  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo88 View Post
I hadn't heard that about a foam roller! Just another reason why I should REALLY go out and get one. I have a lot of cellulite on my legs (when I say a lot I mean a LOT!). If you hear anything else please let me know! And if I do I'll let you know. I just got a dry brush and I've heard that helps so I'm about to start using that, I'll let you know how it goes!
I also read that dry brushing with a bristle brush can also have the same effect. Apparently it smooths out the thin layer of fat cells that cling to the skin when the big fat cells have flattened. True or not is unknown, but it can't hurt to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1603 View Post
I'm not sure where to put this post so I apologize if I should have posted somewhere else....
I am really struggling to get back on track. I started Sept 2014, phased off in December due to an all inclusive holiday. Started back in January and lost the 10lbs I had gained. Had unexpected family issues, illness and holiday in February and have fallen off the wagon again. I have not weighed but can feel the weight gain. I have not been able to get back to my clinic for weeks now. I am hoping next Wednesday I will be able to get there. I have enough food but no will power. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you get yourself back on track when you fall off? Every morning I say today is the day...but as soon as I meet temptation, I give in. I have 30lbs to lose and really want to get this done! Thanks to anyone who read this. I actually feel more motivated by writing this down ��
There are two ways to look at this. 1. You can go "balls to the wall" back to P1 and suck it up or 2. You can start with a diabetic P1 version or P2 (still some extra carbs via grain & fruit) and slowly work your way back to P1. They should both encourage loss, but option 2 will start you off more slowly. Only you can decide if you will have the willpower to cut back down after a couple of weeks, but sometimes making small changes on the way to bigger ones can help get you out of a psychological funk. Dieting is a mental challenge, more so than a physical one.

Quote:
I consider obesity to be a disease from which I can control my remission. However there is literature out there that talks about previously overweight people responding differently to food and calories than never overweight people. For example previously overweight people cannot eat as many calories in a day and maintain their weight as people who have never been overweight

I think one of the books may be called "refuse to regain"
I can understand this from the perspective that the vast majority of people who lose weight do not add physical exertion to the equation, so they lose more muscle mass and therefore their metabolic rate plummets. If they assume that they can eat the same caloric level as previously then they will obviously regain.

I think there's also an article on Chris Kresser's blogs that suggests that the way fat is stored also changes after massive weight loss. For people who have never been overweight their fat cells remain small, but obesity increases the size of our fat cells so we are more prone to fast and larger storage. It's not the sciency geeky format of the answer - I'll go track down the article over the weekend and post the official version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khassa123 View Post
I have a quick question and I hope this is the right place. I would like to start the IP program however all of the centers around me are far to expensive for the food, etc. I've noticed the "alternative" threads and was wondering is "theproteinstore.com" the exact same products? I'm just not sure how to get started without the help of a coach...i'm finding myself in a bit of a catch 22 situation here

Thanks in advance!
Comparable, yes. NashuaNutrition, Netrition and others offer closer products in the ProtiDiet, HealthSmart ranges. You're generally aiming for 100 - 150calories with around 5-10g carbs and 15-20g protein per packet. Avoid anything with aspartame. Stevia and Sucralose are the preferred sweeteners. Polyols (sugar alcohols - xylitol, sorbitol, maltitol) are tolerable, but these can also have a similar effect to sugar, so make sure they are listed at the end of the ingredients and not near the top. Fat should be no more than 30% of the total calories.

Don't forget that you can substitute eggs for a non-dinner portion at 1 whole/3 whites or 2/2, and that there are many quality protein powders/premade drinks out there that will also work as alternatives.

Good luck. You can do this on your own, lots do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_magpie View Post
Weather delayed my WI again this week, but I'm down 3.2 pounds in my second week! Since I was short on veggies a couple of days (I know, bad magpie!) and since I have sore shoulders, arms, neck, and back from shoveling (which means maybe some water retention in my muscles?), I'm really pleased with that number! Yay!
If you're hurting from shovelling, please put in an extra packet to help avoid losing that muscle. Yes, it is probably some muscle water retention while they try to repair.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
If you're hurting from shovelling, please put in an extra packet to help avoid losing that muscle. Yes, it is probably some muscle water retention while they try to repair.
Good point! I have some packets of WonderSlim aspartame-free puddings; maybe I'll have one of those before bed. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:24 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Has anyone ever seen jicama tortillas? A friend found these at our local HEB. She said they were damp and soft. Just thinly sliced jicama. No other ingredients.

Thinking I might pick a packet up and try them out. She used them for shrimp tacos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by CenTXChk; 03-06-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 AM   #25  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Interesting product, CenTXChk. Wonder what actual size they are.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Hey all.....

Just figured I would check in...been reading but bad about posting.

Work has been busy nuts even with all the snow on the ground (I'm a Realtor). Just got a call to list 2 more places this weekend...told them there is no place to put a sign in the snow! Spring where r u?

Anyway I have had flat weight loss the past month...up 2, down 3, same, up .5 but the good news is I have started regularly exercising and although the pounds have been flat for February, I have lost 4 inches overall and my body fat % and lean mass % are on the move in the right direction.... I have to keep reminding myself that sometimes it's not all about the scale # .... However secretly I obsess about getting under 210 lol....

I have a work trip to Vegas in 2 weeks. I have 4 brand new spring outfits to wear. Can't wait to do that! It may hit 50 here this week....heat wave lol.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Good morning IPeeps,
I'm looking forward to a lovely weekend at the cabin! It's still quite chilly, but I'm hoping to get in some snowshoeing and maybe even some ice fishing if it's not too windy.

I hope everyone has a great OP weekend!
Old 03-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 239/227/150

Hello, I am new to this site, and just in my 3rd week on IP. Lisa, i appreciate the links you included with your original post here, especially the link to reasons not to cheat. I'm struggling with a vacation coming up in two weeks (will have only been on IP 5 weeks when I leave) - going to Hawaii for two weeks with a group of girls to celebrate a friends 50th birthday. As much as I would like to stick with this program while there, I know I will struggle, especially with drinking alcohol - we are a fun group, and being on vacation I know alcohol will be a temptation. I plan on seeing my coach the day after I return so I can get right back on track, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions how I might be able to be "less" bad than I might otherwise be.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #29  
SBDubs

S/C/G: 198.4/179.6/165

Height: 5'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim151 View Post
Hello, I am new to this site, and just in my 3rd week on IP. Lisa, i appreciate the links you included with your original post here, especially the link to reasons not to cheat. I'm struggling with a vacation coming up in two weeks (will have only been on IP 5 weeks when I leave) - going to Hawaii for two weeks with a group of girls to celebrate a friends 50th birthday. As much as I would like to stick with this program while there, I know I will struggle, especially with drinking alcohol - we are a fun group, and being on vacation I know alcohol will be a temptation. I plan on seeing my coach the day after I return so I can get right back on track, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions how I might be able to be "less" bad than I might otherwise be.
I went to Vegas after only 6 weeks on IP and stayed on plan and lost that week. You can do it! You may be surprised how proud your friends will be if your effort to get your health under control.

I was nervous about telling mine at first, but once I did they were thrilled and so supportive. I was nervous they would judge or criticize my choices. I am so glad that I told them so they could be there for me and root me on.

Last edited by staceyjblack; 03-07-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTXChk View Post
Has anyone ever seen jicama tortillas? A friend found these at our local HEB. She said they were damp and soft. Just thinly sliced jicama. No other ingredients.

Thinking I might pick a packet up and try them out. She used them for shrimp tacos.
I haven't heard of this but will definitely look tomorrow - which HEB were you at? I'm assuming they were in produce somewhere?
Closed Thread