Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #31  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by larn37 View Post
Are you using the quest peanut butter protein powder as a drink or mixing it in something and how much are you using?
Sorry, just saw this now...I am using it as a drink right now. I actually hadn't felt like eating meat this week so I had it as a drink for dinner. I used 1 scoop peanut butter and 1 scoop chocolate milkshake and mixed with 16 oz of water and had it as a shake - very filling. It tastes like a Reese's to me! I treated it as my 8 oz of dinner protein (2 packets) then had my dinner vegetables as a side.

I am going to make pancakes with it though - just the peanut butter powder - I think that will be awesome.
I am also going to have it as just a peanut butter shake - 1 scoop to 8 oz of water and treat as 1 packet.
I am also going to do chocolate and peanut butter mix but do 1/2 scoop of each with 8 oz of water for my Reese's fix but only 1 packet to use as snack rather than the bigger portion as dinner replacement.

If peanut butter pancakes don't come out as well I think they will, then I am going to get the multi-purpose one for the pancakes.

I haven't done any of the cookie recipes, etc that others have, but that is an option too.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Sorry, just saw this now...I am using it as a drink right now. I actually hadn't felt like eating meat this week so I had it as a drink for dinner. I used 1 scoop peanut butter and 1 scoop chocolate milkshake and mixed with 16 oz of water and had it as a shake - very filling. It tastes like a Reese's to me! I treated it as my 8 oz of dinner protein (2 packets) then had my dinner vegetables as a side.

I am going to make pancakes with it though - just the peanut butter powder - I think that will be awesome.
I am also going to have it as just a peanut butter shake - 1 scoop to 8 oz of water and treat as 1 packet.
I am also going to do chocolate and peanut butter mix but do 1/2 scoop of each with 8 oz of water for my Reese's fix but only 1 packet to use as snack rather than the bigger portion as dinner replacement.

If peanut butter pancakes don't come out as well I think they will, then I am going to get the multi-purpose one for the pancakes.

I haven't done any of the cookie recipes, etc that others have, but that is an option too.
RO, OMG try the cakes to delicious I used 1 chocolate IP drink mix and 1 scoop Quest PB and 1 packet of oatmeal and added 2 egg whites, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp. oil and water to form batter and poured into 3 little crocks and baked for 15 minutes. I'm a Reeses girl too this made two cakes and was to to to good. I have to only make one next time, if I make more lately I'll end up eating to many in a day I tried the pancakes they were not so good in my opinion.

I love love love this stuff, but I have to be VERY careful with it. ended up having equivalent of 5 packets yesterday because I had it twice. I love peanut butter and it has been my occasional cheat until I got this product now I have to control the urges to abuse it.

Can't wait to try the rest of the Quest powders. Any that I shouldn't buy???

Last edited by kcdoe; 03-05-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #33  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoe View Post
RO, OMG try the cakes to delicious I used 1 chocolate IP drink mix and 1 scoop Quest PB and 1 packet of oatmeal and added 2 egg whites, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp. oil and water to form batter and poured into 3 little crocks and baked for 15 minutes. I'm a Reeses girl too this made two cakes and was to to to good. I have to only make one next time, if I make more lately I'll end up eating to many in a day I tried the pancakes they were not so good in my opinion.

I love love love this stuff, but I have to be VERY careful with it. ended up having equivalent of 5 packets yesterday because I had it twice. I love peanut butter and it has been my occasional cheat until I got this product now I have to control the urges to abuse it.

That's awesome - thanks for sharing KC! I didn't try out any for the reason you noted - I was afraid it would trigger a bit of a binge as going cold turkey is usually best for me. But, given your enthusiasm, I will do it and make sure I am disciplined to only have 1 :-) I love peanut butter too!

I have only had the chocolate milkshake and peanut butter so I would recommend those both. And, I would assume the others are just as good. The manager at Vitamin Shoppe said his fiancé makes pancakes from the multi-purpose one that is very good.

You tried the pancakes with the peanut butter powder? What was wrong with them? How did you make the batter - similar to the cake?

What kind of oil did you use for the cake?

Last edited by Ro22; 03-05-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #34  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

KC & Larn - Once you get to your goal, I wanted to point out that Quest Nutrition has a cookbook available on their website - I printed out their recipes - they are based upon their products. I am anxious to try once I get to phase 3/4. Perhaps, you can get ideas from there and modify to be phase 1 compliant in the meantime. It is at questnutrition.com/cookbook

Last edited by Ro22; 03-05-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #35  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:

The Quest PB makes excellent cookies, but you need either the MultiPurpose protein powder OR a packet of almond flour (or the Bob's Red Mills low carb bread flour) if you want pancakes to resemble anything like a normal packet mix version.

When you mix the Quest PB with the multipurpose one, it tends to lose a little flavour, so if you aren't trying to be 100% compliant, the PB2 tbsp makes a BIG difference in flavour. I make the PB pancakes using 1/4c almond flour/meal, 1/8c hazelnut meal and 2 units of the Quest PB, with a large egg, 1/2tsp baking powder, a 1/4tsp salt .. whip it all up til it bubbles (this is what helps get the right texture) and put into a medium hot pan.

Quote:

Nope, they are ALL excellent (hubby is a Quest protein powder addict). The strawberries & cream makes wonderful waffles, too.

Just one word of advice for anyone using the almond/coconut flours or meals - make sure you have this as a daytime treat, don't save it for supper. That way your body has longer to process it before you go to bed and your metabolic rate drops to rested, rather than active.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #36  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Amanda,

What is PB2? I didn't understand your comment regarding being 100% compliant in regards to the ingredients.
Btw, I do want to be 100% compliant.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #37  

Quote:
That's awesome - thanks for sharing KC! I didn't try out any for the reason you noted - I was afraid it would trigger a bit of a binge as going cold turkey is usually best for me. But, given your enthusiasm, I will do it and make sure I am disciplined to only have 1 :-) I love peanut butter too!

I have only had the chocolate milkshake and peanut butter so I would recommend those both. And, I would assume the others are just as good. The manager at Vitamin Shoppe said his fiancé makes pancakes from the multi-purpose one that is very good.

You tried the pancakes with the peanut butter powder? What was wrong with them? How did you make the batter - similar to the cake?

What kind of oil did you use for the cake?
Chocolate Milkshake ordering tonight Oh my lol!!! If you make the cake I'm telling you its the closest thing to real cake I've made so far dangerous lol so proceed with caution lol... Muti purpose protein powder on my list as well.
... OIL EVOO..yes for attempt at pancakes I made it similar to the cake but thinner. perhaps doing exactly like the cake would work better.. let me know.
... I appreciate your comment about cold turkey I'm the same way.... first go around on this program I had to avoid restricted totally . I lost 3 lbs a week and I lost 60 lbs in 3 months.. if I want to lose fast again I will have to consider that option. For now I'm losing slow but steady and I'm trying to plan more for maintenance and the rest of my life. The fast and strict did the trick but when I needed to phase off just left me feeling lost... what I'm doing now is trying to set the pattern for the rest of my life Thank you for you information so excited to try the other powder yeahhhh...
Quote:
KC & Larn - Once you get to your goal, I wanted to point out that Quest Nutrition has a cookbook available on their website - I printed out their recipes - they are based upon their products. I am anxious to try once I get to phase 3/4. Perhaps, you can get ideas from there and modify to be phase 1 compliant in the meantime. It is at questnutrition.com/cookbook
Thank you RO just wondered among the recipes.... wow new world... Quest fettuccini..........off to explore this new horizon I go thank you
Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
The Quest PB makes excellent cookies, but you need either the MultiPurpose protein powder OR a packet of almond flour (or the Bob's Red Mills low carb bread flour) if you want pancakes to resemble anything like a normal packet mix version.

When you mix the Quest PB with the multipurpose one, it tends to lose a little flavour, so if you aren't trying to be 100% compliant, the PB2 tbsp makes a BIG difference in flavour. I make the PB pancakes using 1/4c almond flour/meal, 1/8c hazelnut meal and 2 units of the Quest PB, with a large egg, 1/2tsp baking powder, a 1/4tsp salt .. whip it all up til it bubbles (this is what helps get the right texture) and put into a medium hot pan.

Nope, they are ALL excellent (hubby is a Quest protein powder addict). The strawberries & cream makes wonderful waffles, too.

Just one word of advice for anyone using the almond/coconut flours or meals - make sure you have this as a daytime treat, don't save it for supper. That way your body has longer to process it before you go to bed and your metabolic rate drops to rested, rather than active.
thank you Briael almond and coconut flour?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #39  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Amanda,

What is PB2? I didn't understand your comment regarding being 100% compliant in regards to the ingredients.
Btw, I do want to be 100% compliant.
100% compliant means adhering to the food macros and exclusion of groups that IP recommends on their own program.

As this is an alternatives thread there are some of us who are hovering between 90 and 100% at any given time. This is why I mention such products as almond flour/meal and coconut flour.

Quote:
thank you Briael almond and coconut flour?
These are not IP compliant, but some of us aren't following IP 100% while on alternatives. Regular AP or self-raising flour are very high in carbs. The almond flour is pretty low, the coconut flour is somewhere between. Many of the Quest cookbook recipes use them, and if you are planning on following a low carb diet in maintenance it's useful to know about alternatives to regular flour. Bob's Red Mills even make a low carb bread flour.

The Quest multipurpose flour works, but the texture isn't fantastic for all baking needs. It's better for cookies and muffins than crepes, waffles and pancakes.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
100% compliant means adhering to the food macros and exclusion of groups that IP recommends on their own program.

As this is an alternatives thread there are some of us who are hovering between 90 and 100% at any given time. This is why I mention such products as almond flour/meal and coconut flour.

These are not IP compliant, but some of us aren't following IP 100% while on alternatives. Regular AP or self-raising flour are very high in carbs. The almond flour is pretty low, the coconut flour is somewhere between. Many of the Quest cookbook recipes use them, and if you are planning on following a low carb diet in maintenance it's useful to know about alternatives to regular flour. Bob's Red Mills even make a low carb bread flour.

The Quest multipurpose flour works, but the texture isn't fantastic for all baking needs. It's better for cookies and muffins than crepes, waffles and pancakes.
Briael - I am one who tries to be 99% compliant but know I don't always weigh before eating etc.. if you don't mind me asking, besides it not being on the protocol spreadsheet, what takes PB2 out of being IP-alt compliant? Is it the ratio of fat to calories (approx 30%)?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:08 AM   #41  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Briael - I am one who tries to be 99% compliant but know I don't always weigh before eating etc.. if you don't mind me asking, besides it not being on the protocol spreadsheet, what takes PB2 out of being IP-alt compliant? Is it the ratio of fat to calories (approx 30%)?
Here's the info on PB2. It has 1g of real sugar, not artificial alternatives. I would imagine this is what holds it back from being approved, because the actual sugar will produce an insulin reaction, and IP is all about suppressing that reaction as far as possible, to rest the pancreas and "reset" the amount of insulin that we produce in response to actual sugars.

Personally, I am not carb sensitive and I have never had any insulin sensitivities, so PB2 sits pretty well with me, in moderation.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 AM   #42  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:

Amanda,

That's great insight about the flour - I didn't know. I only recently started using some alternatives, but even in doing so, I try to be 100% compliant so I wasn't sure which ingredients you were referring to that weren't so now I understand. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #43  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Here's the info on PB2. It has 1g of real sugar, not artificial alternatives. I would imagine this is what holds it back from being approved, because the actual sugar will produce an insulin reaction, and IP is all about suppressing that reaction as far as possible, to rest the pancreas and "reset" the amount of insulin that we produce in response to actual sugars.

Personally, I am not carb sensitive and I have never had any insulin sensitivities, so PB2 sits pretty well with me, in moderation.
ok, thanks, I now know what PB2 is - question - why use this vs peanut butter that is just peanuts and sea salt that you can get in refrigerator section at grocery store (vs sugar that is in this)? The peanuts aren't permitted on IP so that also makes this non-compliant so if you are allowing yourself to have peanuts in p1, why not use the one that is all natural with just peanuts and sea salt - just trying to learn more about alternatives...

Last edited by Ro22; 03-06-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #44  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Chocolate Milkshake ordering tonight Oh my lol!!! If you make the cake I'm telling you its the closest thing to real cake I've made so far dangerous lol so proceed with caution lol... Muti purpose protein powder on my list as well.
... OIL EVOO..yes for attempt at pancakes I made it similar to the cake but thinner. perhaps doing exactly like the cake would work better.. let me know.
... I appreciate your comment about cold turkey I'm the same way.... first go around on this program I had to avoid restricted totally . I lost 3 lbs a week and I lost 60 lbs in 3 months.. if I want to lose fast again I will have to consider that option. For now I'm losing slow but steady and I'm trying to plan more for maintenance and the rest of my life. The fast and strict did the trick but when I needed to phase off just left me feeling lost... what I'm doing now is trying to set the pattern for the rest of my life Thank you for you information so excited to try the other powder yeahhhh...

Thank you RO just wondered among the recipes.... wow new world... Quest fettuccini..........off to explore this new horizon I go thank you
KC - we seem to be similar...same height, approximately same starting weight and loss, we love peanut butter, better to go cold turkey and I did not allow myself any restricted items for 7 months (this is first time I am doing IP).
I hope you like the additional Quest products!
Old 03-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #45  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Default Low Carb Recipe Booklet

I put this together today so I thought I would share. The booklet is in 2 parts - one is more IP recipes and the other section are the recipes from the Quest Nutrition Cookbook (I included only those that appealed to me).
Feel free to download and add to this. If we all contribute to it, we could really have quite a collection as I find it difficult to search through threads to get recipe ideas when I am meal planning and prefer to have a hard copy to page through.

I hope it is ok as I didn't cite the source of the recipes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing
Closed Thread