Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #436  

Decided today to take an impromptu bathing suit shot for you guys – more for myself than for anything – here's my healthy body that I keep complaining about. No make up, no Photoshop, dirty hair, no sucking in the belly. For 47 years old, I'm quite fine. Actually starting to relax into myself. I'll probably take this down in a week or so so it's not on the Internet permanently :-) but nice that I can just feel relaxed enough to be my slightly "imperfect" healthy self.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 07-25-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #437  

S/C/G: 145/120/125

Height: 5'3

Amber -- can't see your pic!

CenTX -- I am no expert and actually have not had much bread since phasing off, but I did pick up a loaf of Ezekiel's 4:9 bread at Trader Joe's and had a slice once or twice. To me, it was very bland, and I'd rather just not bother with bread. I have wanted to try Dave's but have not yet. (Frankly, what I really want is that darn cheese and onion bread that Liana's always having but alas, that's a local thing for her -- I'm still looking for something that sounds as savory-tasty that will be enticing enough to be worth it for me.)

I used to make my own granola on almost a weekly basis back before IP, but have not done it since (the family has missed this -- or so they say -- and has had to find other store-bought substitutes). Your post reminds me to start that up again, as I can certainly separate out my personal batch (sans honey or maple syrup or too many lovely nuts) from the one for everyone else. Right now, for daily morning grains, I use No Sugar Alpen Muesli (Alpen reminds me of my college year in England -- had that for breakfast everyday in the dorm) and occasionally Bob's Red Mill Muesli (which my husband prefers). The other breakfast grains I regularly use are Nature's Promise Organic Quick Cook Oats and Trader Joe's Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats, both of which have basically the same nutritional info.

Fruit-wise, I've also read that tropical fruits should be eaten in moderation (too bad, as I adore a ripe, juicy mango in the summertime). I tend to stick with berries for breakfast and in my smoothies.

Last edited by Mimi47; 06-14-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #438  

Mimi it took me ages to figure out the picture uploading, and I kind of gave up with a not very great quality one. Maybe you can see it now.
CenTx I took a long time in the cereal aisle of two different health food stores looking for a no sugar cereal that was also wheat-free and corn free – the only thing I found that met my requirements for the most part was the Ezekiel brand golden flax and also almond cereal . There are also two hot cereals with quinoa, rice and or oatmeal that I eat - I think it is arrowhead Mills. They have both of them at whole foods and sprouts.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 06-14-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #439  

Never mind, Amber -- now I see it -- you're rocking' that, girl! And a bikini at that! I never saw any before pictures of you, so, to me, you've always looked fantastic and teeny. At just slightly older than you, my tummy and its stretchmarks will never get to see the sun again, I fear. You are an inspiration to so many!

Last edited by Mimi47; 06-14-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #440  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I have one dinky piece of Silver Hills Omega Flax GF bread (which I find way too sweet tasting) in my fridge right now and no Irene's Cheese & Onion GF bread in the freezer waiting.
Tomorrow I will go buy myself another loaf and will post the ingredients although I won't be able to get the recipe from Irene ('trade secret', lol). You may have to experiment yourself, Mimi.

Tonight we got a call from DH's sis in Maryland (who phones their mum every day or so) and found out that his mum has been in the hospital for just over a week! (He was planning on phoning her tonight but got this other call first) Family drama as his other sis (in whose basement suite she is living) is looking at assisted care facilities (which we suggested doing last summer in preparation - getting on a list for when it became necessary...but of course nobody listens til it's too late ). This other sis (the one with the basement suite) was going to send his mum on a plane to us while they are away on vacation for a couple weeks (which is fine by us) but REALLY... someone is in no shape to fly if they just get out of the hospital. We think they just don't want her to spend the money to have a home health care professional come in and get her meals ready, assist with bathing, change the bedding, do a load of laundry, etc, while they are away. Less for the inheritance, right? Sorry to sound so cynical, but the rest of the siblings see it also. At this rate I don't know if she will survive the year as the docs can't seem to figure out what is wrong. Needless to say, afterward, DH and I broke out the rich red, pinot noir and ate a Toblerone together, sigh....
Oh well, still under calories and planned carbs and correct ratios. What a way to end my workweek.
Aquacize tomorrow to combat the stress!
Liana
Old 06-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #441  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Liana - Ugh, I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope your MIL is okay. Will she be in the hospital long? I really feel for you. We are going through something very similar with my MIL who just moved into assisted living. Except my BIL seems to think her money grows on trees and has no problem spending, spending, spending her money. He's basically helped himself to whatever he wanted in her house and made an agreement to sell her home at a deep discount because he doesn't want to "deal" with it. We are far away from each other which adds to the challenge. Plus my DH is the younger brother and very non-confrontational. Assisted living is very expensive and who is going to pay for it when the money runs out. Certainly not BIL!

G4H - You are rocking that bikini! And you are so brave to post your photo. I love that! Don't know if I could do the same with my newly purchased two piece. WTG!!

Last edited by CenTXChk; 06-15-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #442  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Happy Monday Maintainers!

Grateful: Wow! You look amazing in that two piece. What a brave move to post a pic! I couldn't do it. Not even in a one piece. And congrats for finding some food peace. It really is wonderful to eat, not mindlessly or with abandon, but for enjoyment, not worrying about every little thing you put in your mouth. I'm so glad you had a good food experience. And then to get on the scale the next day and not see up lbs. A total win!

Mimi: I'm looking forward to having some Greek food soon. I want to find a really good restaurant before I indulge.

CenTXChk: I tried both Ezekeil and Dave's Killer. I prefer Dave's. It has wonderful flavor and texture. I have had the 21 Whole Grain as well as the several varieties of the thin sliced. I like the thin sliced because I can make a sandwich and the carb count is only slightly higher than 1 piece of the 21 Whole Grain! And I saw on their website that they are coming out with hamburger buns! As far as the Sprouts WW English muffins, yes I buy those for my breakfast sandwiches. I first found them at Whole Foods but it looks like they are made for Sprouts as well and $1 less per package. I use the Bare Naked Fit Granola. I just don't have the patience to make my own. Every time I've tried I end up burning it.

Liana: So sorry to hear about the family issues. Hope that gets better for you.

I went to a local farmers market and picked up some beautiful heirloom tomatoes. I ate two on Saturday with some Hawaiian black salt. Needless to say I was up 2 lbs. from the sodium yesterday, but back down 1 lb. today. I'm not stressing. It's really summer when the tomatoes show up! Yesterday I made a Bacon/Avocado/Tomato/Lettuce sandwich for lunch. It was so good!!

Thanks for the pic love ya'll. I was wearing a lovely summer dress, a size 8, mind you, and feeling really svelte that day.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Last edited by catlady1981; 06-15-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #443  

S/C/G: 240.2/144/145

Height: 5'5.5"

Amber - you look great. I don't think I could do it - I like to avoid photographic evidence of any sort.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #444  

Thank you all for the positive thoughts - that post/pic was really just something I knew I needed to do and was a "let go" so so speak into just relaxing and accepting. Like many I have avoided photos in general and certainly wouldn't post any, and have had a very strong aversion to my stomach ever being exposed, even to people I am very close with. At my worst health time, around 2010, I actually took a leap of faith to get a tattoo on my stomach that said "faith" - it was a faith that all of the issue of it all - both the extra weight and the feelings about it - would be resolved. It's been a journey of acceptance this past year, letting go of the silliness of the concept of perfection, and realizing I am the only one creating the internal mental suffering about it, and when I accept myself, everyone else will still have whatever thoughts or feelings about it all, and I can't control what anyone else thinks. Clearly we all now our society is pretty ridiculous around body image, but I can't personally change that overnight, but I can change myself. I sound like Confucious or something right now lol.
I'll take it down in a week, I'm not so brave as to want it here for eternity.

Liana my goodness it really is one thing after the next for you this year. How incredible you keep reaching out to others and giving to others and to yourself during all of this. I hope your lungs are a little better.

Hi to everyone else, here we go, another week. My goal for myself this week is water, rest, and some walking/movement without going over the top.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 06-15-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #445  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post
Ishbel -- are these ripply recipes of yours on here somewhere?
Well I generally just modify recipes now. I just used a low carb tuna casserole and swapped out some of the ingredients. I think it had beans at the bottom and it made it soggy so I just make a tuna casserole as is with extra garlic and celery etc etc and use my plain 0% greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Works for a lunch protein and I enjoy my salads so that's how I get my veggies in. None of this frozen veggies on the bottom anymore. I also like crustless quiche with spinach in it. The crustless pizza is low fat cream cheese with some parmesen (1/4 cup?) and one or two eggs. Mix all together and put in a 13X9 inch pan and bake for 30 min or so and use a small can of pizza sauce and toppings that suit you (fastest pizza EVER and freezes well too). Generally I just don't add the fruit to my pizzas and it works for a lunch. I can't remember but I'm sure I get 8 pieces out of that and that's two lunches for two people (my hubby and I).

+++++++++++++++

I used to eat Silver Hills skinny big bread vice the ezkeial (sp?) bread. It was two slices instead of one, any sprouted grain would work for me but I liked the quantity. Now I just have my breakfast oatmeal mixture...doesn't look all that appetizing but whoa it's SO SO good. We actually put pumpkin in it last week a few times and pumpkin spice with some splenda pumpkin pie syrup and it was "CLOSE" to a pumpkin pie for breakfast. CLOSE, some tweeking still involved and hey it was veggies for breakfast

Went for a 2km run on Friday and 3.2 km run yesterday, felt great...I haven't ran since before Christmas. I'm so glad to be back to running you have NO IDEA! it's my zen..!!

So I take it maile never shows up anymore?

Last edited by Ishbel; 06-15-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #446  

Liana -- thinking of you as you get through yet another very difficult time for your family.

Andrea -- that BALT of yours sounds amazing! Will look for some Dave's skinny bread when I'm next at Whole Foods.

Ishbel -- I cannot wait to try the crustless pizza and quiche! Just looked up some Spark recipes and am really pleasantly surprised by some of the numbers

Good for you on your runs. Am sorta training for a 5k with my family in a few weeks and jogged/walked 5k this morning. Hoping to do that every other day or so, increasing the running part of it each time. I did feel great afterward, and indeed the rest of the day, but I would never call it my zen!! Wish I could!!!

Am back down to normal after P2'ing it Sunday and Monday (following that salty yummy Greek food). Have decided it's best for me to indulge in wine only if it's really good. Vodka-soda is more refreshing to me in summer and doesn't cause the bloat.

Happy week to everyone out there!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:42 AM   #447  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Amber, the pattern & colour look so cute on you, cheery and positive! Great picture - be proud!!

Crustless quiche - fancy version of frittata, lol.

CenTXChc: my DH is the youngest too and quite quiet/hates confrontation, so they never listen to him anyhow, except for the Maryland sister who appreciates his good qualities - I'm trying not to get too involved and yet encouraging DH to speak up for how we both feel. I know it just complicates things when spouses get involved with in-law parents - lots of hard feelings between siblings...

It was fun to get back to Aquacize class again and I managed to convince a couple friends that had gone a few times but are 'slacking' lol to come too. We all had a good time and then went to Timmies (Tim Horton's) for coffee (blueberry white tea for me) after and a good visit. They like to chat & visit during class but I like to get serious and concentrate on my workout... I figure as long as they come it's better than sitting on the couch, right?

Here's to 5K's, Greek food, warm fresh tomatoes, and wine (not necessarily in that order, heheheh)
Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #448  

Sigh. Family dysfunction. I know it well. Seeing my family in a few weeks, going to the mountains, bracing myself for it - but feeling calm in my approach to them and hoping to see it as an opportunity to just not let them bother me or cause me any negative feelings or anxiety - how I react is the only control I have - I certainly can’t fix them. One of their favorite topics since I was very young is to talk about what I eat and drink and look like ad nauseum - anything so they don’t have to face themselves. So what to do.

I am doing well this week, my inflammation and pain is back down to manageable and I’m hoping by the end of the week will be much better. Overall feeling in much better balance. And the flood is all cleaned up and I’m back in my usual bed. And a gentleman went out of his way at the grocery store last night to flirt with me extensively, bless his heart, that was a nice little breath of fresh air.

Hello to everyone, lots of good thoughts, and yes here’s to 5Ks and all that good stuff.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #449  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

I have been off line for a few days and DH travelling for work so busy the kids and some issues with my daughter who is ready for day care to be over. She said to me "mommy I just wish you ran and didn't work, running doesn't take as long".

Amber - you are beautiful on the inside and the out. I love the picture of you in the bikini and that you are feeling more comfortable in your own skin. Sounds like you had a nice Greek dinner and your weight is stable, way to go!

Andrea - love your new profile picture, you look great, so happy and healthy. Glad you are getting back to your exercise, I know how important that it is to you.

Isabel - you are doing amazing with your running, love that it is your "zen". I'm not sure if it's mine but I do feel better afterwards. Have had horrible runs last week but I hope to get back on track for my 15km this Saturday.

Liana - I echo Amber's comment, you have had a heck of a year with family stuff going on You have such a warm and compassionate heart, you and your DH has sound like a great team. I hope your MIL makes the trip out okay. Glad you had a nice visit with the Aqua ladies.

Mimi- how are you finding P2? You are doing great adding in your exercise.

Centxchk - I don't eat those bread, I usually do the lost your protein from country harvest so won't be much help to you. You will enjoy P3 and those yummy breakfast. Breakfast is now my favourite meal.

Finding that it is taking longer to get these 3 lbs off, my inches were up so no pretending it was lean muscle. I'm trying to relax, focus on my water, planning my meals, and doing a mix of some shakes and cleaner eating. I do not feel like doing strict P 1 but may need to. I want it off for Friday and really want to stay there. It feels like I have been a bit like a yo yo and I don think that is so healthy and it's annoying to have to keep adjusting bit then again perhaps this is maintaince???

Hope everyone is have a good week and getting some great weather
Old 06-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #450  

S/C/G: 132/123.8/115

Height: 5' 3

Hello all! I am about to start maintenance on Monday! Woo Hoo! I have a couple of questions.
1) Do you snack? If so, what do you eat?
2) Do you still have a protein type snack after dinner? My coach said that I should.
3) Do you still have a protein snack after exercise?
Closed Thread