Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawniemae View Post
Now, I need some advice, please!
I had my weigh in today and am down another 2.4 pounds. Like most, I was hoping for more but any loss is a gain, in my book! One thing my coach said though is that my lean body mass was going down, which she interpreted to mean that I was not getting enough protein. I weigh my meat before cooking to be sure I'm getting the 8 oz. If it's a little less than 8, I add a little lean deli meat to my lunch salad, boiled chicken to my soup or have a boiled egg to makeup for it. She had no suggestions on what to do about the drop. I've read/heard that some coaches up your packets from 3 to 4 a day when your starting weight is really high like mine was but she has never mentioned that. I remembered I had ordered some Syntax Nectar drink mixes and am thinking of adding one a day to my regular schedule. Or should I add a packet? Or should I not worry about it since everything else seems to be going in the right direction?
Congrats on your 2.4!!

Last edited by JJTx; 02-25-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #62  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle14 View Post
Morning iPeeps! I had my weigh in last night, and am down another 4.6 lbs and 3.5 inches! It felt great!

Frawniemae and Rainbow--you both inspire me so much! I've already gotten a ton of recipe ideas from you, and your success is extremely motivating. I'm so glad you're both here
woohooo on the 4.6 pounds!! way to go! now THAT is truly inspiring!!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #63  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle14 View Post
I had to go to to the doctor last night, as I have some sort of rash/blisters on the palm of my hand that showed up out of nowhere and were getting slightly worse. Still don't really know what it is (I went to a walk-in clinic and they can't really do any tests)--but he prescribed my antibiotics and an antiviral, so whatever it is, I should be able to get rid of it! I don't think either of those prescriptions will mess with IP, and I only have to take them for five days. Hopefully it clears up soon, it's on my right hand and is a bother!
Have you considered this could be our IP related? Some people react to the soy protein and others react to the increased use of sugar substitutes, or a specific sugar substitute.

Personally, I would cut both of those things out and see if the rash goes away without the medication. Many doctors don't look at the simple stuff first and just treat symptoms.

If it starts to heal without the medication then you can add one item back in at a time to try to determine which one it was.

It does not seem coincidental that you recently started IP and all of a sudden you have a rash.

I hope you get to the bottom of it quickly

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-25-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 187/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Have you considered this could be our IP related? Some people react to the soy protein and others react to the increased use of sugar substitutes, or a specific sugar substitute.

Personally, I would cut both of those things out and see if the rash goes away without the medication. Many doctors don't look at the simple stuff first and just treat symptoms.

If it starts to heal without the medication then you can add one item back in at a time to try to determine which one it was.

It does not seem coincidental that you recently started IP and all of a sudden you have a rash.

I hope you get to the bottom of it quickly
Thank you for the suggestions, Lisa. I'll see what I can figure out!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 187/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Lisa, my question would be, if it was a reaction to the soy protein, wouldn't it have shown up earlier? I have been doing this for four weeks now, and it just started. Also, I've eaten plenty of soy in the past without any reaction whatsoever. I will still try to eliminate the soy and fact sugar products to see if that helps, but I was just curious if you had any thoughts on that.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #66  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:

One thing my coach said though is that my lean body mass was going down, which she interpreted to mean that I was not getting enough protein. I weigh my meat before cooking to be sure I'm getting the 8 oz. If it's a little less than 8, I add a little lean deli meat to my lunch salad, boiled chicken to my soup or have a boiled egg to makeup for it. She had no suggestions on what to do about the drop. I've read/heard that some coaches up your packets from 3 to 4 a day when your starting weight is really high like mine was but she has never mentioned that. I remembered I had ordered some Syntax Nectar drink mixes and am thinking of adding one a day to my regular schedule. Or should I add a packet? Or should I not worry about it since everything else seems to be going in the right direction?
This is something I've been doing a little research on lately, after a discussion with a nutritionist who is prepared to work with me while I'm in ketosis.

The sports nutrition people believe that to build muscle requires a certain amount of carbs to trigger an insulin reaction, which triggers protein synthesis.

It would also seem that the latest research findings from the health industry indicate that a low carb or protein only should produce enough insulin to trigger the same muscle repair/build process, but without flooding the body with insulin and triggering potential fat storage from an elevated blood glucose level.

Do you track your macros at all, Frawniemae? Are you possibly eating the lower protein amount packets in preference to the higher ones?

The Syntrax nectar protein powder is a good choice. They are ultra low carbs (and some are "carb free" by dint of the amount of fiber that slows the carb absorption rate) for a very high return of protein. From memory I think it's 0.5g carb for 24g protein? It's also a whey/casein mixture so you get both quick and slow absorbing proteins, which helps keep your blood glucose levels a little more stable and theoretically reduces the hunger cycle as you creep towards the next meal.

The only other factor to consider is that excess protein to the body's muscular repair/build needs can also be used by the liver to produce glucose (although it is quite a way down the preferred food chain - muscle glycogen, blood glucose, fats, protein), so take a look at the amount of protein you're taking in. IP's protocol works with a 0.5g of lean protein per lb of body weight. I found I was losing lean mass on so little so now use between .65 and .7 and it seems to have levelled off. All I can suggest is increase it each week until 90% + of your loss is from fat stores alone.

Last edited by Briael; 02-25-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #67  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzldream View Post
Hi frawniemae- I am on 4 packets, my coach told me that I can drop to 3 when I get under 200lbs. I have been losing fat steadily and my lean mass has gained or loss very little such as last week (0.4lbs). I thought it was standard that over 200 to be on 4 packets....maybe it varies?
I'm not real sure how informed my coach/clinic is. I'll talk to her about it next week before I add another packet. That's going to increase my caloric intake and I have not broken the habit of watching that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post
Congrats on your 2.4!!
Thanks! Was hoping for more but every little bit counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
This is something I've been doing a little research on lately, after a discussion with a nutritionist who is prepared to work with me while I'm in ketosis.

The sports nutrition people believe that to build muscle requires a certain amount of carbs to trigger an insulin reaction, which triggers protein synthesis.

It would also seem that the latest research findings from the health industry indicate that a low carb or protein only should produce enough insulin to trigger the same muscle repair/build process, but without flooding the body with insulin and triggering potential fat storage from an elevated blood glucose level.

Do you track your macros at all, Frawniemae? Are you possibly eating the lower protein amount packets in preference to the higher ones?

The Syntrax nectar protein powder is a good choice. They are ultra low carbs (and some are "carb free" by dint of the amount of fiber that slows the carb absorption rate) for a very high return of protein. From memory I think it's 0.5g carb for 24g protein? It's also a whey/casein mixture so you get both quick and slow absorbing proteins, which helps keep your blood glucose levels a little more stable and theoretically reduces the hunger cycle as you creep towards the next meal.

The only other factor to consider is that excess protein to the body's muscular repair/build needs can also be used by the liver to produce glucose (although it is quite a way down the preferred food chain - muscle glycogen, blood glucose, fats, protein), so take a look at the amount of protein you're taking in. IP's protocol works with a 0.5g of lean protein per lb of body weight. I found I was losing lean mass on so little so now use between .65 and .7 and it seems to have levelled off. All I can suggest is increase it each week until 90% + of your loss is from fat stores alone.
At my weight I'd have to eat a cow!! Maybe not the whole thing but that would be a lot of meat! I eat my 8oz of protein a day, most of the time for my evening meal as I like to have a full belly for bedtime. I think I'll add a boiled egg earlier in the day and one of my Syntrax drinks. Not sure about the hunger being quelled by it though as I was starving most of the afternoon after I'd drank one. But my body could have just been screaming for more!! I vary what I eat pretty much. I'll be more aware of the protein.

Would the fact that I have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease have anything to do with it?

Thanks all for your input!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #68  
Started IP 8/5/2014

S/C/G: 240/183/154

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
losetowin....i don't see why not...if you try it let us know
Rainbowsmiles, I had asked you if you thought your Crème Brulee recipe would work with IP Vanilla Drink Packet instead of your Rock 'n Roll Brand (a much better name). I did make it with IP. The flavor was overall a little bland for me. Maybe it just doesn't have as much flavor as your brand. I decided to mix it it all up with some Torani caramel and brown sugar syrups and cook it up like an egg custard pancake. It was nice to have that egg custard flavor. Thanks!

Tomorrow, I am making chayote "apples". I haven't been able to find chayote at my upscale grocery store, but I found them at Walmart today.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #69  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lose2Win2014 View Post
Rainbowsmiles, I had asked you if you thought your Crème Brulee recipe would work with IP Vanilla Drink Packet instead of your Rock 'n Roll Brand (a much better name). I did make it with IP. The flavor was overall a little bland for me. Maybe it just doesn't have as much flavor as your brand. I decided to mix it it all up with some Torani caramel and brown sugar syrups and cook it up like an egg custard pancake. It was nice to have that egg custard flavor. Thanks!

Tomorrow, I am making chayote "apples". I haven't been able to find chayote at my upscale grocery store, but I found them at Walmart today.
i made chayote hash browns for supper, ooh my chayote is my new best friend!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #70  
Started IP 8/5/2014

S/C/G: 240/183/154

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
i made chayote hash browns for supper, ooh my chayote is my new best friend!!!
I think I'll use half of mine for hash browns and the other half for "apples". Thanks for the great idea!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #71  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lose2Win2014 View Post
I think I'll use half of mine for hash browns and the other half for "apples". Thanks for the great idea!
the recipe is now in the rainbow thread

i had mine with 2 eggs, it was so good, felt like a cheat!! haha
Old 02-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 215/169/140

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Now, I need some advice, please!
I had my weigh in today and am down another 2.4 pounds. Like most, I was hoping for more but any loss is a gain, in my book! One thing my coach said though is that my lean body mass was going down, which she interpreted to mean that I was not getting enough protein. I weigh my meat before cooking to be sure I'm getting the 8 oz. If it's a little less than 8, I add a little lean deli meat to my lunch salad, boiled chicken to my soup or have a boiled egg to makeup for it. She had no suggestions on what to do about the drop. I've read/heard that some coaches up your packets from 3 to 4 a day when your starting weight is really high like mine was but she has never mentioned that. I remembered I had ordered some Syntax Nectar drink mixes and am thinking of adding one a day to my regular schedule. Or should I add a packet? Or should I not worry about it since everything else seems to be going in the right direction?
I had the same problem a couple weeks ago and I'm under 200lbs. I've found that if I do not eat at least 100 grams of protein per day I lose muscle. If you don't already, try to track your macros in something like my fitness pal and see what works for you. It was trial and error for me. I'm going to start trying adding veggie egg muffins in with breakfast instead of an extra packet to cut down on the carbs. I also use a lot of quest/alt products with higher protein amounts to help me meet my goal.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 140/138/115 (Reboot-Nov. 2015)

Height: 5'-3 1/2"

Rainbow smiles, that looked really good. I didn't know what a chayote was. Looked it up and will look for it. I just made celery root fries which were pretty good. My BF had normal fries so I decided to make some of my own. A bit of olive oil spray, spices and WF ketchup.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #74  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikens View Post
I had the same problem a couple weeks ago and I'm under 200lbs. I've found that if I do not eat at least 100 grams of protein per day I lose muscle. If you don't already, try to track your macros in something like my fitness pal and see what works for you. It was trial and error for me. I'm going to start trying adding veggie egg muffins in with breakfast instead of an extra packet to cut down on the carbs. I also use a lot of quest/alt products with higher protein amounts to help me meet my goal.
I do use my fitness pal. The last 7 days I averaged 112g protein, ranging from a high of 121 to a low of 106. I'll pay more attention to my protein intake. I was looking more at the carbs and calories. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by frawniemae; 02-25-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #75  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondi13 View Post
Rainbow smiles, that looked really good. I didn't know what a chayote was. Looked it up and will look for it. I just made celery root fries which were pretty good. My BF had normal fries so I decided to make some of my own. A bit of olive oil spray, spices and WF ketchup.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...mn-2-a-14.html

scroll down this thread to see a chayote and the recipes
Closed Thread