Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcodrums View Post
I'm 9ish weeks into IP and for some reason this week has been really hard...tired of what I'm eating despite mixing it up quite a bit! How have people gotten past this kind of frustration when they still have a long way to go to meet goal???
Yeah I have been there....the blues hit every few weeks lol....try checking out a new receipe. Sometimes the change helps or get a new veggie that you have not had before. A batch of kale chips or turnip fries can just change it up enough..... Or just look in the mirror or pull out a pair of old pants you used to wear and compare.... For me I have hit the 6+ month mark. Aggravation over slow losses and weeks of small gains had set in so I went to the store and bought some pants in the ACTUAL size I am in. Started this journey at 22/24's so it feels great to be in a 16 now. It boosts your mood and rejuvenates your to continue on IP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
A very happy Valentine's Day to all!

To celebrate, I had my initial consult with my coach - whom I now LOVE!

I had forgotten to do my health profile, so we got off to a shaky start, but when she asked if I had medical conditions, beyond the hypothyroid (she remembered!), I told her "no" but went on to describe what happened to my joints when I was drinking the EAS low carb shakes (with soy).

I told her about 3FC - which she knew about, but she 'coaches' on another official IP board - and was impressed I was able to narrow down the issues and eliminate the problem (soy-based drinks).

She was also amazingly helpful - we got online and looked up information I could use. I showed her my MFP and she was impressed with how well I'd already modified the IP protocol using real food (thanks to 3FC I said!) - said my macros look great. Told me while she would love me as a client, and how important it is to have support, if the majority of the soy foods aren't tolerable for me, then she understands. We talked about artificial sweeteners / processed products of which neither of us are huge fans and at one point she laughed and said something to the effects of "I am talking myself out of a client" She also sent me a link with all the IP foods and what they contain - of course, 70% are / have soy (protein).

So in the end, she didn't have me fork over the $350 for the starter box / fees. I am going to experiment this week and bought a mixture of non-soy and soy products to try. I am dying to make the cauliflower fritters Rainbow posted the other day, but needed IP potato puree (which IS soy free!). So I got the potato puree, broccoli cheddar soup, vanilla drink mix, mango drink mix, chocolate & vanilla pre-made drinks, and the herb-omelet mix. So we'll see!

I was so super impressed by her - I was afraid of a "hard-sale"...but she was the one who immediately suggested a sample / trial period before committing. She was even willing to work a deal with me about visits / WI's as long as I would buy 2 boxes of product &/or vitamins to come to a minimum $$ every week or two - depending on my needs.

Thank you to 3FC / all the posters over the years who's institutional knowledge allowed me to educate myself before meeting with my coach This group is awesome!

So I had my first official IP product for lunch - the broccoli cheddar soup...how anyone can eat that by itself is beyond me - licking the spoon was hard. But I added 1C of my homemade broccoli puree, added some curry and adobo and it was fantastic!
Sounds like your coach is a good fit. I have a friend who wantes to start but she is gluten free (celiac) so there are limited choices for her.

Well we didn't get that much snow in NJ, but the wind is whipping out there. They said gusts up to 50MPH were possible today. I'm doing an open house at one of my listings....I am sure I will have some solid reading time today as no one will show up! Lol..
Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearthebay View Post
Hi, I lurked on this board when I did IP a few years ago, and now I am doing a reboot. When I planned the timing I had not anticipated the effect that Valentine's Day would have on me though! We have a bottle of champagne in the fridge that we won't be opening and my husband is offering me whatever meal I want. I just keep thinking about a box of assorted chocolates. Maybe I can do something with a chocolate pudding packet to make me feel like I had a special treat today. Any ideas?
Sorry I missed this yesterday. I'm on a mini vacation from the cold weather.
Anyway, I was looking for the mini cupcake post and also found the IP fudge post. You can find that one in the link to recipes from the incredible weight loss center. Those recipes have their own thread and are linked in post #1 on this thread.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-16-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcodrums View Post
I'm 9ish weeks into IP and for some reason this week has been really hard...tired of what I'm eating despite mixing it up quite a bit! How have people gotten past this kind of frustration when they still have a long way to go to meet goal???
Oh man! Diet burnout.
It definitely comes and goes. This is the time the Beck Diet book really helped me overcome the desire to quit or cheat. It gave me the techniques to "muscle through". I hope knowing you're not alone helps!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default optics... Valentines day or any other day for that matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearthebay View Post
Hi, I lurked on this board when I did IP a few years ago, and now I am doing a reboot. When I planned the timing I had not anticipated the effect that Valentine's Day would have on me though! We have a bottle of champagne in the fridge that we won't be opening and my husband is offering me whatever meal I want. I just keep thinking about a box of assorted chocolates. Maybe I can do something with a chocolate pudding packet to make me feel like I had a special treat today. Any ideas?
Have not posted for months now but I try to read every once in a while...and sorry I missed this yesterday or earlier this week as well. Am 2 yrs out now but remember the year I was on P1 and other many-many discussions around this.
Of course burnout is real. ...(and Valentines day is a biggie for us. Yesterday was our 45 anniversary.)

What I found helpful during P1....and STILL do.....is to make the meal special. Focus on the experience. Not the menu so much, although DO choose a protein that may be something you don't always have. Shrimp??? Scallops?? An IP compliant chop, but with a long bone from the butcher instead of the super market?? Suggest get to liking the idea to keep it simple...because actually, once you go into maintenance simple and sensible is what your life will need to reflect.This is practice for the future.

Use nicest table setting you have. Plate what ever it is with care. Act as though you are at a first class restaurant. Use candles...dress in something other than sweats...or whatever you had on all day. Add or change to a different necklace, put makeup on. And plan the rest of your eveing to do something that does not include food, other people, or kids.

If you have kids they are NOT invited to any of this...order pizza for them and set them up somewhere else in the house with a movie or game...and don't do your thing til they are taken care of and busy. We did this routinely when our kids were young, long before IP was part of my life...and it did not matter what we had to eat back then...the fact the meal was like going out made the evening worth the effort. And the kids were happy NOT to have to sit through it.

At our ages...(sunny side of 70 now) and with no kids to distract anymore...we still do meals at home like this pretty often. I have found out it's great to be picky...and my husband indulges the process. And once again...the menu is not the main event. Not really! Sparking water in a goblet is still my beverage 99% of the time...even if my spouse has a glass of wine. And that change for me was huge. Now the choice to have a glass of wine or champagne is not such a big deal... and through all of this...deprivation is no longer what it's all about.

Lifestyle changes and choices give me a much bigger buzz these days. It's really all good.

You can do this...it's not impossible.... you are as strong as your newest habit.

Last edited by 65X65; 02-15-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 186/178/160

Height: 5'6"

It does help knowing that others have the same struggles. I myself am rebooting. this past week has been an emotional one and I realize that I am an emotional eater and when stressed I react instead of respond. I have actually started meditating in efforts of helping me deal with stressful situations. Hopefully, my IP world will benefit too.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
We went for a very nice Valentine dinner with 2 other couples last night at a chain restaurant with a huge menu but not necessarily healthy. I modified it as best I could but didn't realize the steak was going to have a sauce smothered all over it. Even though it was a mushroom sauce I could tell it had sugar in it...I had them change the "tempura" asparagus to plain asparagus and I gave away the amazing looking mashed potatoes with butter and pesto. And I'm happy to say, no weight gain.
Yeahhh no gain......I love eating out and have really cut a lot of it out on this diet. But we still go and understand and appreciate the challenge it presents. Hopefully they all didn't have luscious valentine dessert in front of you ;( that's the hardest part.
Instead of our usual Liberators Valentine dinner or 2 that we have been going to for years we opted for taking my Granddaughter for a Valentine date to Red lobster, I ate a garden salad with my trusty WF dressing, always in my purse and had "Snow crab legs" I did allow 2 tablespoons of purified butter (fat skimmed off) and my honey shared his lobster, which was yummy.
We bought my granddaughter a Valentine cupcake from the grocery store so she could have her own dessert .

Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoe View Post
Yeahhh no gain......I love eating out and have really cut a lot of it out on this diet. But we still go and understand and appreciate the challenge it presents. Hopefully they all didn't have luscious valentine dessert in front of you ;( that's the hardest part.
Instead of our usual Liberators Valentine dinner or 2 that we have been going to for years we opted for taking my Granddaughter for a Valentine date to Red lobster, I ate a garden salad with my trusty WF dressing, always in my purse and had "Snow crab legs" I did allow 2 tablespoons of purified butter (fat skimmed off) and my honey shared his lobster, which was yummy.
We bought my granddaughter a Valentine cupcake from the grocery store so she could have her own dessert .

Congrats to those able to work a VDay dinner into plan. The crab legs sound delish! We had talked about going to our fave spot but there is just too much temptation and while I am much more comfortable saying no just decided it wasn't worth the hassel. Had a beautiful piece of grilled lamb with roasted mushrooms. Plus I may not have bought / tried jimaca fries
Old 02-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #23  

Quote:
Congrats to those able to work a VDay dinner into plan. The crab legs sound delish! We had talked about going to our fave spot but there is just too much temptation and while I am much more comfortable saying no just decided it wasn't worth the hassel. Had a beautiful piece of grilled lamb with roasted mushrooms. Plus I may not have bought / tried jimaca fries
Yes Hysteria that's how I felt about our traditional place. We use to enjoy the warm homemade bread in the herbal EVOO dip with wine while waiting for the Shrimp appetizer which came in a white wine garlic cream sauce. We asked for more bread to dip it in, of course. All the bread did not sway us from ordering a full meal and after all it was valentines day so of course the special Valentine dessert was a must. Wonder why I gained weight just can't figure it out . You know the funny thing, I couldn't eat all that now even if I wanted to. Even then we would say, we are never going to eat all this food. And the shameful part is we tried. Wish I could say we only did this kind of gluttony at Valentines, once a year but that would be a lie.

Jicama, I had tried that the first go around on the diet, and forgotten about it I have just added it to my grocery thanks for the reminder
Old 02-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #24  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Wanted to share an exerpt from an interesting article I came across yesterday, as it seems there are quite a few people exercising while doing IP, and it seems relevant for those who are actively trying to decrease body fat as well as shed the weight.

Strategies for losing stubborn fat -
Quote:
To understand why it’s so dang hard to get certain areas of your body lean, you need to understand how and why fat is stored and mobilized.

When you eat food, your body breaks it down into various substances, one of which is glucose, or blood sugar.

Your body also releases the hormone insulin, which tells your liver, muscles, and fat tissue to take the glucose from the blood and store it.

Your liver and muscles store the glucose as a substance known as glycogen, and your fat cells store it as as a substance known as triglycerides.

The storage of glycogen expands the size of the muscle cells, and the storage of triglycerides expands the fat cells, which in turn expands your waistline.

When you’re in this “fed” state, no fat burning occurs. Your body uses the glucose in the blood for all its energy needs, and stores the excess. Depending on how much you eat, this state can last for several hours.

But, as the nutrients eaten are absorbed, insulin levels decline, and the body senses that its post-meal energy is running out. It then shifts toward burning fat stores to meet its energy needs. Day after day, it juggles these states of storing nutrients you eat, and burning its stores when the temporary supplies run out.

To burn, or “mobilize,” fat, your body produces chemicals known as “catecholamines.” The catecholamines travel through your blood and “attach” to receptors on fat cells, which then trigger the release of the energy stored within the cells so it can be burned off.

Fat cells have two types of receptors for catecholamines: alpha-2 and beta-2 receptors. To keep this simple, beta-2 receptors speed up fat mobilization, whereas alpha-2 receptors hinder it.

So, here’s the big difference between “regular” and “stubborn” fat:

Fat that is easy to lose has more beta-2 receptors than alpha-2, and fat that is hard to lose has more alpha-2 receptors than beta-2.

This ratio of alpha-2 and beta-2 receptors in individual fat cells determines how easy or hard it is to mobilize the energy stored inside.
Of course, I do not support the use of all those supplements in the article, just thought the body science was useful information to have.

Last edited by Briael; 02-15-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #25  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

hysteria, we tried the jicama fries, and I thought they were good. My hubby, in the other hand, thought they were soggy and won't make them again (he's our cook!). However, we both love jicama raw, which I often eat with lunch after eating something savory. I believe jicama is the greatest discovery on IP. Have you tried rutabaga fries yet?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Yes Hysteria that's how I felt about our traditional place. We use to enjoy the warm homemade bread in the herbal EVOO dip with wine while waiting for the Shrimp appetizer which came in a white wine garlic cream sauce. We asked for more bread to dip it in, of course. All the bread did not sway us from ordering a full meal and after all it was valentines day so of course the special Valentine dessert was a must. Wonder why I gained weight just can't figure it out . You know the funny thing, I couldn't eat all that now even if I wanted to. Even then we would say, we are never going to eat all this food. And the shameful part is we tried. Wish I could say we only did this kind of gluttony at Valentines, once a year but that would be a lie.

Jicama, I had tried that the first go around on the diet, and forgotten about it I have just added it to my grocery thanks for the reminder
YW
Very similar experience - except it's a warm pumpernickel bread at our go-to. No complaints though - especially with the interesting mini blizzard that hit about 7pm last night & 50+ mph winds. I was very happy staying in

"Have you tried rutabaga fries yet?"

No yet MiWi - I don't think I've ever had rutabaga - but after discovering jimaca, am willing to add it on the "try" list for next week thanks!

Last edited by hysteria_625; 02-15-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #27  

Quote:
YW
Very similar experience - except it's a warm pumpernickel bread at our go-to. No complaints though - especially with the interesting mini blizzard that hit about 7pm last night & 50+ mph winds. I was very happy staying in

No yet MiWi - I don't think I've ever had rutabaga - but after discovering jimaca, am willing to add it on the "try" list for next week thanks!
You know I also have never tried rutabaga. I've read a lot of recipes with it but just never tried it perhaps its time!!!
Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

I saw an interesting picture on Facebook yesterday: It was a shot of piles of fast food/junk food. The caption was something like this: The food industry feeds you with no regard for your health and the health industry treats you with no regard for your food.

Something to think about.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #29  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
You know I also have never tried rutabaga. I've read a lot of recipes with it but just never tried it perhaps its time!!!
It takes a lot longer to cook than you think. I still prefer mine boiled and mashed. When I tried as fries they never get crispy and also never fully cook so have a bit of raw crunch. I parboiled them and froze them in portions then baked off as needed. When I boil them I use the pressure cooker and freeze in portions. It is sometimes a little bitter so you mat need stevia. I grew up eating with butter and brown sugar but the butter is totally not needed.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #30  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
YW

Jicama with salad greens for my salads at lunch and dinner are fabulous - I have discovered that the price ranges from 99 cents/lb at the Safeway to $1.99/lb at the Harris Teeter store...... big difference, so I try to get it at the Safeway regularly.

Rutabaga and turnips are my two greatest discoveries on this IP protocol -- Check out the thread called IP Friendly Crockpot Recipes -- the Pork Roast with Rutabaga is great - you add WF Pancake syrup and chicken broth, and makes rutabaga (or turnips - I interchange these depending on what's on hand when I set up the crockpot) taste wonderful to a sweet aficionado like me. We are getting into the mode of making this recipe about every 10 days - for DH and me, this provides several meals over the course of a week. Pork tenderloin can be quite lean, but the crockpot keeps it quite tender.

I find the fries are not crisp enough to be worth the work to prepare them (turnip, rutabaga, or jicama). But if you love to cook, they are are good variations to those feeling diet fatigue.

Briael -- thank you so much for sharing excerpt from the article on how/why fat storage is stored -- very informative. Your research skills seem to be turning up lots of useful info, and it is very kind of you to share with those of us who just don't find the time or don't have the skills to crawl the web like you do!!! Keep the reference materials coming - I love it!!!!
Closed Thread