Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #16  
SBDubs

S/C/G: 198.4/179.6/165

Height: 5'11''

Re-introducing myself. Had tremendous success w/ IP in the past. After a horrible job and some mild depression, I gained back all the weight I lost a few years back. I am looking forward to re-learning the program and gaining control over my bad habits.

Right now, I'm spending my time preparing and purchasing food, vitamins, and weening off carbs (I went through terrible withdrawal and will be easing myself off this week to help alleviate). I will be up and at it by Sunday.

This post was more of a contract with myself than an introduction... Thanks for keeping me accountable 3FC!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 215/169/140

Height: 5'0

Hey all! Congrats on all your losses so far this week! I just got back from weigh in myself. I'm in week 7 and losing weight, but my muscle mass is still going down each week which has me nervous. I was down almost a pound in muscle mass alone! I started swimming again last week and told my coach, but she didn't recommend eating another packet. This past week I didn't get to go at all. I did tell her (as I have before) that I am very active at my job. I normally walk 9000-10000 steps before 2:10. I also work an after school job Wed and Thurs until 9pm that usually gets me in another 5000 steps. She is now reluctantly suggesting that I add in an extra packet 3 days a week any time but the evening. She is scared I will stop losing if I do this though. Anyone have any experience with this/any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ani
Old 02-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 211/179/170

Height: 5'10

After being away for the weekend, its nice to see everyone back. Some good losses and NSV I see, congrats everyone.
staceyjblack: you will be back where you want to be in no time

I also had a NSV this weekend. Friends who I haven't seen in a while really noticed my change, it did feel great and motivated me to keep moving forward!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #19  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkQuarius View Post
I'm happy to report that I'm in the 100s now! I wouldn't have believed it if you told me 2 months ago how quickly it would happen. IP is worth every penny.
WooHooooo, congrats on Onederland. Enjoy it and let it motivate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster2014 View Post
Had a nice NSV yesterday. At church a lady came up to me and said, you look great, you've lost some weight. I said yes, I've been working on it and still have more to go. She said well I just wanted to tell you it is noticeable and you look great. So nice to hear since no one at work has seemed to notice. I really needed that boost since I have been stalled somewhat for the last few weeks. Sometimes its the little things that can help us get to the finish line.
How lovely that someone took the time to congratulate you in a positive way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkitten View Post
Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I've checked in - I hope everyone is doing well. We're being blasted with more snow here in Boston - we're up to record levels this year, gah!

Ladies, I need some help.

I was doing really well maintaining, but then put on a couple pounds over the holidays. I was maintaining those pounds, which was frustrating because pre-holidays I was losing weight in maintenance (scale got down to 123/124!). I decided to do a little reboot (I'd actually love to get down to 120 and live in the 120-125 range in maintenance), but after 1 week of P1 I'm actually UP instead of down. Started at 127.2, up to 127.6 today. I still use alternative products - pure protein bars and quest chips. Tried the bacon/cheese omelette for breakfast and couldn't stomach it, so I make my own, which I know is more calories/fat. I haven't gone into ketosis.

I know it's just 2 lbs, but it FEELS like 20. My thighs are touching again, arms feel flappy, and love handles/muffin top has returned. Generally I just feel big and bloated. I'm concerned that the grains/carbs/sugar over the holidays have done some kind of permanent damage and the IP protocol will no longer work for me. I'm still not eating fruit.
This could be sodium based water retention, or not enough fiber to bulk you out. Doesn't mean you're not in ketosis though. Are you tracking your food at all? Can you work out your macros from what you've eaten?

When I don't seem to be losing, or have a slight uptick, I go back over the food and see where the culprit is. Often in the places that get overlooked - water flavouring, skimping on the healthy fats (olive oil) or underestimating the vegetables portions rather than measuring them properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikens View Post
Hey all! Congrats on all your losses so far this week! I just got back from weigh in myself. I'm in week 7 and losing weight, but my muscle mass is still going down each week which has me nervous. I was down almost a pound in muscle mass alone! I started swimming again last week and told my coach, but she didn't recommend eating another packet. This past week I didn't get to go at all. I did tell her (as I have before) that I am very active at my job. I normally walk 9000-10000 steps before 2:10. I also work an after school job Wed and Thurs until 9pm that usually gets me in another 5000 steps. She is now reluctantly suggesting that I add in an extra packet 3 days a week any time but the evening. She is scared I will stop losing if I do this though. Anyone have any experience with this/any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ani
I find it worrying that your coach knows you are exercising and has not recommended replacing at least 50% of the calories you've expended while doing it. Depending what time of day you are exercising you definitely need to put calories in. First thing in the morning your body should have ketones that it produced overnight and didn't have need of while you were sleeping. So, if you walk in the morning you won't need additional calories/carbs to replace them.

All strenuous exercise will burn both fat AND muscle. It is unavoidable, but you should be able to reduce the amount of muscle you lose overall by smart pre-fueling and post-fueling. Remember that your muscles are no longer storing glycogen for that emergency fuel reserve. As a result, if your body needs fuel quickly it's going to metabolise what is easiest and quickest for it to do. That is to burn any glucose available from carbs and/or break down muscle, rather than fat. So, if you are putting more than 70% effort into any exercise, put in a fast release protein (whey or soy) that has a handful of carbs. After the exercise put protein back in again. Protein is the building block for muscle. The IP program seems to aim for around 50% of your body weight in protein grams per day. I have only lost muscle on two consecutive weeks because I normally keep my protein ratio at around 60-65% of body weight.

Losing muscle every time you weigh in will result in your basal metabolic rate dropping faster, and this is something that your coach should not only know about, but be actively trying to fix for you.

Are you 100% IP compliant? If so, you may want to read the nutritional information and ingredients on each of the packets and make an informed choice about the slightly higher carb and good protein count packets before you exercise and something lighter in carbs and high in protein after you exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbkuz View Post

I also had a NSV this weekend. Friends who I haven't seen in a while really noticed my change, it did feel great and motivated me to keep moving forward!
Yay! Glad they were positive motivators for you and made you feel good about the changes.

Last edited by Briael; 02-09-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/169/140

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
I find it worrying that your coach knows you are exercising and has not recommended replacing at least 50% of the calories you've expended while doing it. Depending what time of day you are exercising you definitely need to put calories in. First thing in the morning your body should have ketones that it produced overnight and didn't have need of while you were sleeping. So, if you walk in the morning you won't need additional calories/carbs to replace them.

All strenuous exercise will burn both fat AND muscle. It is unavoidable, but you should be able to reduce the amount of muscle you lose overall by smart pre-fueling and post-fueling. Remember that your muscles are no longer storing glycogen for that emergency fuel reserve. As a result, if your body needs fuel quickly it's going to metabolise what is easiest and quickest for it to do. That is to burn any glucose available from carbs and/or break down muscle, rather than fat. So, if you are putting more than 70% effort into any exercise, put in a fast release protein (whey or soy) that has a handful of carbs. After the exercise put protein back in again. Protein is the building block for muscle. The IP program seems to aim for around 50% of your body weight in protein grams per day. I have only lost muscle on two consecutive weeks because I normally keep my protein ratio at around 60-65% of body weight.

Losing muscle every time you weigh in will result in your basal metabolic rate dropping faster, and this is something that your coach should not only know about, but be actively trying to fix for you.

Are you 100% IP compliant? If so, you may want to read the nutritional information and ingredients on each of the packets and make an informed choice about the slightly higher carb and good protein count packets before you exercise and something lighter in carbs and high in protein after you exercise.
Thanks for the response! I'm compliant, but I use alts in addition to/sometime more than IP packets. I track my macros on IP and I usually eat around 100 grams of protein a day, which is more than 50% my body weight. As I read here so much I also found it problematic that she did not want me to eat extra when I was working out, so I went ahead and ate extra anyways.

I'm debating adding in those foil pouches of protein gel everyday for the extra protein without the calories of a full packet. I have higher muscle mass than an average person, so maybe I just need more protein than an average person? Also MFP is telling me I earned an extra 500 calories today in exercise (it's synced with my fitbit) and I haven't done anything except go to work and sit on the couch since 4! If anyone thinks that is a terrible plan for any reason please let me know! I also think I'm going to switch my weigh in days to a different coach next week (which I wanted to do regardless) and see if that solicits a different response.

Last edited by Anikens; 02-09-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Any of you who use MFP, what does your Nutrition pie chart look like?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

AwkQuarius, congrats on entering onederland

Buster, that's some great positive reinforcement for all your hard work, hope you get out of your stall soon

MiWi, I hope you made it to onederland at your weigh-in.

littlebumblebee, good luck in your journey

I made it into the 140s, 9 more pounds to go, and I have a feeling it's going to drag I will definitely phase off when I reach goal and then see how I feel for a while before deciding if I want to lose more.

I hope everyone has a great OP week with great WIs and NSV
Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #23  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikens View Post
Thanks for the response! I'm compliant, but I use alts in addition to/sometime more than IP packets. I track my macros on IP and I usually eat around 100 grams of protein a day, which is more than 50% my body weight. As I read here so much I also found it problematic that she did not want me to eat extra when I was working out, so I went ahead and ate extra anyways.

I'm debating adding in those foil pouches of protein gel everyday for the extra protein without the calories of a full packet. I have higher muscle mass than an average person, so maybe I just need more protein than an average person? Also MFP is telling me I earned an extra 500 calories today in exercise (it's synced with my fitbit) and I haven't done anything except go to work and sit on the couch since 4! If anyone thinks that is a terrible plan for any reason please let me know! I also think I'm going to switch my weigh in days to a different coach next week (which I wanted to do regardless) and see if that solicits a different response.
I have a higher than normal muscle mass, too, so I hear you. It's one of the reasons that my protein count is always over 100, normally around the 110-115 mark and occasionally up to 130. Protein isn't as big a problem to me as carbs.

I'm not familiar with the protein gel packs, I tend to use a combination of two or three protein powders - the Quest 80 whey/20 casein with the GNC 100% casein and occasionally add the Chocolite (100 whey) for taste or save it for a post exercise treat. I think it's worth trying alternatives and finding what works for you. A diet is a relatively short thing in comparison to the rest of your life, and learning what works and what doesn't is going to be something you want to know sooner rather than later.

I think a different coach's perspective would be a great thing. Hopefully one with more experience and understanding of the effects of muscle loss on your general health.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 250/225(First Goal)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkitten View Post
Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I've checked in - I hope everyone is doing well. We're being blasted with more snow here in Boston - we're up to record levels this year, gah!

Ladies, I need some help.

I was doing really well maintaining, but then put on a couple pounds over the holidays. I was maintaining those pounds, which was frustrating because pre-holidays I was losing weight in maintenance (scale got down to 123/124!). I decided to do a little reboot (I'd actually love to get down to 120 and live in the 120-125 range in maintenance), but after 1 week of P1 I'm actually UP instead of down. Started at 127.2, up to 127.6 today. I still use alternative products - pure protein bars and quest chips. Tried the bacon/cheese omelette for breakfast and couldn't stomach it, so I make my own, which I know is more calories/fat. I haven't gone into ketosis.

I know it's just 2 lbs, but it FEELS like 20. My thighs are touching again, arms feel flappy, and love handles/muffin top has returned. Generally I just feel big and bloated. I'm concerned that the grains/carbs/sugar over the holidays have done some kind of permanent damage and the IP protocol will no longer work for me. I'm still not eating fruit.

Also - an update on the hair loss situation: It did finally STOP at the six month mark, yay! I had to cut around 4 inches off to clean it up and make it look thicker, but it's growing back in now. I also went gray in the year I was on IP, so that's thrown me for a loop a little!

As always, your advice and insight is always appreciated.
Hi Darthkitten - Yikes, you guys on the East Coast are getting hit HARD with the weather
I have rebooted after losing 80 lbs. in 2012 and gaining a little more than 1/2 of it back. Just keep on what you're doing and the pounds will drop off. My daughter has a hard time with her WL because of PCOS, her struggle is real challenging and discouraging when it doesn't come off as quickly as others.

Quote:
Had a nice NSV yesterday. At church a lady came up to me and said, you look great, you've lost some weight. I said yes, I've been working on it and still have more to go. She said well I just wanted to tell you it is noticeable and you look great. So nice to hear since no one at work has seemed to notice. I really needed that boost since I have been stalled somewhat for the last few weeks. Sometimes its the little things that can help us get to the finish line.
Hi Buster2014, sometimes people are afraid to say anything because they might think you would be offended, or maybe they're jealous lol at any rate, congrats on the hard work you've put in taking it day by day and coming to this forum is helping me, so many positive thoughts and stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzldream View Post
Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a bit. Wedding planning is consuming my life! I am down 20lbs in 4 weeks! Getting use to the plan is so much easier! Another one of my engaged friends told me he was going to do P90x with his fiance but he wasn't looking fowawrd to it. I told him about Ideal Protein and how easy it was...soooo worth the cost, woohoo! Also, I was a little skeptical when my dad did it, but now I'm living by "Don't knock it until you try it"! Have a great day everyone.
Hi hzldream, WOW 20 in 4, awesome! P90X is brutal I did a bit of the Insanity workout but it's really hard on the knees. Keep up the awesome WL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelgrl87 View Post
Hi everyone! Just checking in and also wanted to report my loss at weigh in today. I am down another 2.5 pounds. So excited. Makes a total of 14 pounds in 3 weeks. So far so good. So thankful I found Ideal protein.

Hope everyone has an OP day. Keep up the good work everyone.
Awesome rebelgrl87! It is so cool to see all the positive WL stories on this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadedge View Post
Hi Everyone: After a 2 year relapse I am back on IP. I lost 51lbs and just before P4 I gave up and gained it back plus a bit. I'm looking forward to making it this time and keeping it off!! I am only in my first week but I had forgotten that initial high of "entering" ketosis. It is such a great feeling to not crave all the lousy stuff I always eat.

It makes me laugh when people balk at the price of IP. I save money!! Going out to Tim Hortons for breakfast and McDs at lunch plus all the other crap adds up pretty quick.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back on IP and back on 3Chicks and seeing so many familiar faces who are doing so well!!
Hi leadedge, you're right about the cost, although I am doing alternatives now, the cost is worth it for the healthier you in the end!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #25  
In it for the long haul!

S/C/G: 201/162/140

Height: 5'4"

Great job, buster2014!!! We work so hard and it's nice to know someone noticed. I think people are afraid they're wrong. I lost 35lbs and my own brother and sister-in-law said nothing. She "noticed" when we ended up in the hair salon at the same time and all the colorists kept complimenting me! It was funny to see the big question mark on her face turn to understanding. Nice to know there are hundreds of us here who freely give reassurance and support, right??!!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #26  

Welcome back to all of the restarters!! You did it once, it can happen again!

Quote:
I really needed that boost since I have been stalled somewhat for the last few weeks. Sometimes its the little things that can help us get to the finish line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkQuarius View Post
No one has said anything at my job either, and I've lost more than 50 lbs . I think they do notice and just don't say anything, maybe they think it's rude or intrusive. That could be the case at your job too. My family has commented on it though.
I lost NINETY FIVE POUNDS and none of the "ahem..." women I work with said a word. I chalked it up to jealousy! I almost used an insult name but I'm better than that.

After I'd lose 50 lbs and hardly anyone had said anything (not just work but everywhere) I had to realize that altho I could see the difference and had gone down clothing sizes, I was still obese. So, although I was no longer morbidly obese, other people still saw an obese person. It literally took until I was in the "overweight" BMI range for people to start mentioning my WL. However, I got LOTS of compliments on the new hairdo (it wasn't new). Our faces change & people aren't sure what they're seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
Any of you who use MFP, what does your Nutrition pie chart look like?
protein 50%
Fat 30%
Carbs 20%
I have calories set at 950 but it still flags me as "too low"
Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #27  

Good morning!

I went for a bike ride during the beautiful weather on Saturday. It was MUCH harder than it "should" have been. Yesterday after work I hit the gym for a 20-minute interval ride on a spinning bike. I may build back up to an hour spin class, we'll wait and see. For now, I'll focus on the 20 minutes, coupled with my am Essentrics (strength/stretch) workout.

Ate dinner directly after.
Next time I'll bring a RTD to have prior.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 210/153/145

Height: 5'5"

Last summer I was riding my bike 11 miles ...I LOVED it! It hurt my thumbs/hands though...I seem to have a touch of carpal t...or something like that going on with my hands. I'm almost afraid to get back on the bike once the weather warms up...but I really miss it.

I don't think I'd have the stamina to go too far on the bike now...I'll have to add a protein or something like that when I start back..while I'm still in Phase 1.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

For the last two years I've ridden my bike to work on nice days, it's only about 4km each way but there are some inclines especially on the way too work, and most of the way is on the bike trail so I don't have to worry about traffic too much. And as much as I enjoy spring were I am I've already been anticipating starting up again and getting out kayaking again I think part of my eagerness is the unusually colder temps and ALL the snow I think it will be May/June before the snow is clear from the trail and the ice is gone from the water!

I've had numerous people comment on my weight loss during pretty much my whole progress and while it's nice to hear from others that it's noticeable, I am not entirely comfortable accepting compliments. But I have no problem telling them about IP being the key to my success.

And sometimes I find myself telling my husband that maybe I shouldn't have lost the weight, because now I'm worried that I will be too obsessive about it. Like I'm not really sure I look good, especially naked, and is it enough. I definitely have some insecurities, but they were preexisting. It's certainly a period of adjustment, at least for me, and mostly I know it will just take a little time. Just writing it out here helps

I hope everyone has a great OP day
Old 02-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/145

Height: 5'3"

Hi Everyone,
Just starting back today after months of bad eating and regaining some of the weight I lost last year. I have been trying to just stay low carb, but the cravings have derailed me every time. IP is the only diet that has worked for me and so today I start again. Wish me luck and thanks in advance for all the support and wisdom I get from this forum.
Closed Thread