3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Salad Dressing Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/302198-salad-dressing-recipes.html)

karkrazy13 03-18-2014 01:55 PM

Home-made salad dressing

I'm not sure if this info is somewhere else on this forum, but I thought I'd create a new post just in case it's not :)

I have been making my own salad dressing with EVOO, ACV, sea salt, pepper, and seasonings. When I make it, I use 1/2 cup of EVOO and 1/3 cup ACV. I know you're only supposed to have 2 teaspoons of EVOO per day, but 2 teaspoons of the dressing I make isn't very much! :(

What does everyone else do for salad dressing (not WF), and how much do you put on your salad? Any advice would be helpful! :)

AmberLS 03-18-2014 02:10 PM

I use olive oil, acv, salt, a little splenda, and some mrs. dash garlic herb seasoning. Sometimes I add spicy mustard to it.

trinny 03-18-2014 02:21 PM

I eat a ginormous salad most days for lunch (I use a 7-cup Pyrex bowl with lid to give you a sense of size - and I have to squish it down to get the lid on). I use a LOT of dressing, but it's mostly vinegar and water. I eyeball everything except the EVOO, which I measure. This makes enough dressing for 4 salads/4 days of lunches, which is about as long as I'd let it stay in the fridge.

Here's what I usually do:

Big glob of brown mustard in a bowl
Add a few shakes of Kosher salt and several grinds of fresh black pepper
Lots of ACV or the brine from a jar of banana peppers
About 2 TB of evoo
Some water if I use ACV, none if I use the brine since there's water in there

WRT the brine, I usually use it when I reach the end of the jar of peppers. Once the peppers are removed from the jar, I just dump the other ingredients in the jar, cover and shake. Voila! Easy to make, portable, easy to store, one less bowl to wash.

karkrazy13 03-18-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberLS (Post 4965826)
I use olive oil, acv, salt, a little splenda, and some mrs. dash garlic herb seasoning. Sometimes I add spicy mustard to it.

Amber, this sounds like the kind of dressing I make... so how much do you put on your salad? Just 2 teaspoons? Seems like that's not enough ;)

karkrazy13 03-18-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinny (Post 4965836)
I eat a ginormous salad most days for lunch (I use a 7-cup Pyrex bowl with lid to give you a sense of size - and I have to squish it down to get the lid on). I use a LOT of dressing, but it's mostly vinegar and water. I eyeball everything except the EVOO, which I measure. This makes enough dressing for 4 salads/4 days of lunches, which is about as long as I'd let it stay in the fridge.

Here's what I usually do:

Big glob of brown mustard in a bowl
Add a few shakes of Kosher salt and several grinds of fresh black pepper
Lots of ACV or the brine from a jar of banana peppers
About 2 TB of evoo
Some water if I use ACV, none if I use the brine since there's water in there

WRT the brine, I usually use it when I reach the end of the jar of peppers. Once the peppers are removed from the jar, I just dump the other ingredients in the jar, cover and shake. Voila! Easy to make, portable, easy to store, one less bowl to wash.

Hmmm, so maybe I should use more vinegar and water and less EVOO... I'll give it a try, because 2 teaspoons of dressing is just not enough ;)

ems70508 03-18-2014 02:58 PM

I do very similar mixtures like listed above. I hate wasting my evoo in my dressing, I like to cook with it in the evening. I like doing acv+lemon juice+water+creole mustard+seasonings

Usually comes out pretty good. I like the splenda idea! Fresh garlic is a great addition. Also, I tried a bit of WF syrup and it made a great consistency! I know you didn't like the WF dressings but I don't either! The pancake syrup is awesome!

sarahBell 03-18-2014 03:03 PM

try toasting your garlic cloves in a dry skillet until nice and dark brown or black (to your taste), adding in a smidge of lemon or lime juice too makes it better.

I made a batch of dressing last night and it is almost gone LOL.. I am going to make a double today because I love it so much!

AmberLS 03-18-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karkrazy13 (Post 4965842)
Amber, this sounds like the kind of dressing I make... so how much do you put on your salad? Just 2 teaspoons? Seems like that's not enough ;)

I use 2 tsp of oil but I use like 1/4cup of vinegar, it's more vinegar than oil

karkrazy13 03-18-2014 05:41 PM

Thank you all for your recipes and advice, it's been very helpful! :)

ChipnDip 03-18-2014 07:39 PM

The usual ratio is like 3:1 vinegar to oil. Sometime I just use ACV and no oil at all if I am saving it for later.

I keep reading that we should not cook our required 2 tsp of EVOO. The benefits come from having it not heated. I use that for sald but sometimes use a bit extra for cooking or I use PAM.

karkrazy13 03-18-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDip (Post 4966009)
The usual ratio is like 3:1 vinegar to oil. Sometime I just use ACV and no oil at all if I am saving it for later.

I keep reading that we should not cook our required 2 tsp of EVOO. The benefits come from having it not heated. I use that for sald but sometimes use a bit extra for cooking or I use PAM.

That ratio is helpful, thank you :)

I use 100% coconut oil or I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray for cooking so that I can use the EVOO for my salads :)

JLUS 03-18-2014 09:34 PM

Yes - your oil should go ON your food. When you cook with it, much stays in the pan? Cook with spray and use the oil directly on your food for maximum benefits!

skinnygirl2B 02-05-2015 11:11 AM

Salad Dressing Recipes

Hi- Can you post your favorites or the links? I can only handle WF's 1000 Island and am in need of some flavor for my salads. Thanks so much!

CenTXChk 02-06-2015 09:26 PM

My favorite dressing recipe which lasts me 4 days:

3 Tbls Olive Oil
2 Tbls Dijon mustard
1 Tbls white vinegar
1 Tbls overflowing Apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

After reading the above posts I think I will try lemon juice with less EVOO.

ChipnDip 02-06-2015 09:59 PM

"ceasar" dressing
1tbsp of WF mayo
1-2 tsp EVOO (can skip it if you used it already that day)
1/2 tbsp white vinegar (I use the lid) or lemon or both
Squirt of Dijon mustard
IP salt
Fresh ground pepper

Creamy Carolina slaw dressing
1tbsp of WF mayo
1-2 tsp EVOO (can skip it if you used it already that day)
1 tbsp white vinegar
Squirt of Yellow mustard
Pinch of mustard see
Stevia or Splenda to taste
IP salt
Fresh ground pepper

I used to use below (came from a 3FC recipe thread) until I realized using the squeeze tubes of garlic and Italian herbs + vinegar, stevia, EVOO and a splash of water was just as easy. This is still my favourite!

Homemade Italian Dressing
1 T garlic salt (I use garlic powder)
1 T onion powder
1 T white sugar (I used a few drops of liquid Stevia)
2 T dried oregano
1 t ground black pepper
1/4 t dried thyme
1 t dried basil
1 T dried parsley
1/4 t celery salt
2 T Sea Salt
In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Store in a tightly sealed container.
To prepare dressing, whisk together 1/4 c. cider vinegar, 2/3 c. grapeseed oil, 2 T water and 2 T of the dry mix. I keep this in a container in my fridge and shake up when ready to use.

And finally, this one got me loving salad. I used to crave it!

Asian DRESSING
1/3 c. olive oil
2 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar)
1 Tbsp. Ginger (the squire tibes are great for this)
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
¼ tsp. each splenda, salt, pepper
¼ tsp. hot sauce