Old 01-09-2015, 02:38 AM   #16  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Wow..so I might be drinking more water than I need..oh oh. I started out at 188 so i dont need more than 94 ounces then....
Yes about eating I am trying to eat as much, except 6 eggs for dinner gets too heavy so i eat 4 only for the evening.
Is it not true that if I am insulin resistant, I need to go very low carb..I am trying to keep it less than 30 gms...? Am i denying myself the restricted packed unnecessarily?
Have you been tested for insulin or leptin resistance? Many people who believe they are actually find that weight loss within ketosis proves they are not, or that they are sensitive rather than resistant. Ultra low carbing will not make you lose faster and will not fix the issue any better than low carbing, it simply makes it more challenging for you (as a vegetarian) to balance the necessary calories out with alternative foods.

IP was designed WITH the restricted product as part of the program. If you think about it ... will 50-70 extra calories and 5 extra carbs make THAT much difference? Most people enjoy them, some don't.

When you say 6 eggs for dinner, I'm assuming you mean a mixture of whole and whites only? Or are you basing your protein on whole eggs to get the protein count up high enough?
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #17  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Could the opposite be true? Much of the big numbers some of us achieve in the first week is all water weight. Maybe you didn't have a lot of water retention in the first place resulting in smaller numbers? It is unlikely that you will lose three pounds a week. My numbers are below. 2 is more likely. There have been a few people on here whose numbers were not as high but still consistently higher than what you will achieve on most diets.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #18  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Hi , I started my IP on 25th Dec 2014 and am at end of two weeks. I am 36 year old mom of two , height 5'5. At weight 188 and not able to drop any other way, I started IP . Now this is end of week 2. I went down 3 pound first week and only 1 the next. I have searched and read the forum and was glad to find many who lost weight later in the game, and plan to stick to the diet.I am vegetarian and am eating 4-6 eggs or 8 oz ( 20 gm protein) tofu for dinner alternating every day. I eat other IP foods 3 times a day, with 2 cups of veggies and vitamins.
I do have some constipation but its not too bad.
I was wondering if the slow rate of weight loss and water retention have anything to do with the sudden amount of soy in my diet due ..increase in estrogen?. I also using soy sauce a lot with vegetables.
My TOM also started on 25th itself. I feel my body is retaining more water after the periods got done.
I have some amount of insulin resistance as per my doctor but the only thing she had advised was exercise and diet.

The weight I put on to get to 188 was primarily in very hectic and stressful periods, times when I was down and was a binge eater.

Would be grateful for any advice, I do not want to keep eating soy/tofu if it can cause water retention.
I use the IP packets, most have soy, regularly - I am not a vegetarian doing tofu, and I rarely stirfry, but I have to say that release of water retention has been a major favorable effect of IP for me.

I have very large ankles and wrists (today after losing a lot of retained fluid my wrist measure 7.5 inches), but both ankles and wrists are greatly reduced from where they were when I started. I can wear a watch or bracelet again now, and my shoe size is a regular wide instead of wide-wide. YAY!!!

Anyway - I agree that you need to get all your veggies in (4 C total for the day), and it might be good to try an alternative to soy stir fry for your cooked veggies. Try cooking your veggies in low fat, reduced sodium, chicken or veggie broth or stock (purchase at store or make your own). This, with some seasonings of garlic, ginger, rosemary, etc. works well for flavor, and avoids the soy issue altogether. ( I always add marjoram to my summer squashes like zuke and crookneck yellow).

Also, even slight constipation is totally avoidable for most people on this diet - if you can use Smooth Moves or Natures Calm to get past 'the big C', you will be more comfortable and your scale will reflect that improvement, too.

Let us know how you are doing - you have a forum filled with support here!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #19  
oneuh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
Could the opposite be true? Much of the big numbers some of us achieve in the first week is all water weight. Maybe you didn't have a lot of water retention in the first place resulting in smaller numbers? It is unlikely that you will lose three pounds a week. My numbers are below. 2 is more likely. There have been a few people on here whose numbers were not as high but still consistently higher than what you will achieve on most diets.
I agree regarding the pace of loss -- I lost 6 lbs the first week, but my overall average has been in the 2 to 2.5 range per week -- it worked out to 10lbs per month from July thru November. I slowed a bit to just over 7 lbs in December - stayed OP but lots of lunches and dinners out and family food occasions.

I reviewed people all over the IP forum on 3FC who began at my starting weight or close to it, and found that most showed a 10lb per month loss rate, so I believe that's a reasonable expectation based on facts.

And once again - no one has commented to you except me about the big C -- you should be having regular bowels, daily, on IP. That's pretty important.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #20  
professor hardy harr!

Height: 5"1.5 (don't forget the .5)

Do not cut out salt, it is very important to get the recommended amount, just try to not exceed that amount. olive oil is not meant to be heated to a high temperature, try adding it near the end for it's full befit.

all one can really do is play around with the suggestions in hopes to pin point the problem.

i am not well educated about insulin resistance so am not sure how that is affecting you i have seen people with kidney issues retain a lot of water on the diet, their kidney's are unable to filter all that is being thrown at them with this diet. the diet is not recommended for them.

also 4x32oz bottles of water is a lot. you may try cutting back to the recommended amount. another option and what will probably be the most helpful is to have your coach submit your issue and back ground info to his or her online support. ideal protein has nutritionists/doctors at the ready for these sorts of issues. they are very helpful and can usually provide great guidance and helpful resolutions. after all that is what you have paid for and water retention/bloating outside of what is normal for you (TOM etc) is concerning and should be addressed by your coach.

on another note i don't find that a loss of 3 and 2lbs is slow. granted most people have a larger first week loss but many things play into that, how much glycogen, water they carried etc ... you can never compare your loss to your husbands, men will always lose faster :/ lol
canadiancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #21  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
And once again - no one has commented to you except me about the big C -- you should be having regular bowels, daily, on IP. That's pretty important.
I second this! TMI perhaps....having a bowel movement everyday does not equal being free of constipation. In a nutshell, it's possible to pass stool but still be backed up. Interesting factoid is that your colon can store up to 10 lbs (a colo-rectal surgeon told me this). I learned this lesson after a zero weight loss, being 100% OP. Although i never had any issues at all with constipation, after the 3rd or 4th month on P1, I resorted to Smooth Moves tea until P4. Just something to keep in mind as you figure this all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancandy View Post
Do not cut out salt, it is very important to get the recommended amount, just try to not exceed that amount. olive oil is not meant to be heated to a high temperature, try adding it near the end for it's full befit.

all one can really do is play around with the suggestions in hopes to pin point the problem.

i am not well educated about insulin resistance so am not sure how that is affecting you i have seen people with kidney issues retain a lot of water on the diet, their kidney's are unable to filter all that is being thrown at them with this diet. the diet is not recommended for them.

also 4x32oz bottles of water is a lot. you may try cutting back to the recommended amount. another option and what will probably be the most helpful is to have your coach submit your issue and back ground info to his or her online support. ideal protein has nutritionists/doctors at the ready for these sorts of issues. they are very helpful and can usually provide great guidance and helpful resolutions. after all that is what you have paid for and water retention/bloating outside of what is normal for you (TOM etc) is concerning and should be addressed by your coach.

on another note i don't find that a loss of 3 and 2lbs is slow. granted most people have a larger first week loss but many things play into that, how much glycogen, water they carried etc ... you can never compare your loss to your husbands, men will always lose faster :/ lol
This makes a lot of sense. Maybe worth checking in with your doctor too if cutting back on water doesn't solve the fluid retention issue you described. We are advised on IP to use plenty of salt, at least not to restrict. There is less insulin around that would normally tell your kidneys to hang on to sodium.

I'm not up to date about insulin resistance and how it is diagnosed other than darkened pigmentation in certain areas, and perhaps borderline blood glucose readings? But the premise of IP is to rest the pancreas and correct insulin resistance that is related to obesity. I think there is now different ideas as to whether IR is a cause or effect of obesity. Anyways, even people with known syndromes like PCOS are advised to do low carb. So you might be on the best-for-you plan, even though it's not as fast as you'd like. Having done many diets, I'll say it's FAST when viewed month by month. I averaged exactly 3lbs/week at age 59 for 7 months.

This is an enlightening discussion even for an IP long timer. Thanks everyone & best wishes to BlueFish!

Last edited by mars735; 01-09-2015 at 01:17 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
The only advantage to consuming that much water is that you shouldn't suffer from the big C.
Quote:
Also, even slight constipation is totally avoidable for most people on this diet - if you can use Smooth Moves or Natures Calm to get past 'the big C', you will be more comfortable and your scale will reflect that improvement, too.
When did "the big C" start meaning "constipation?" It's always meant "cancer" to me, and it doesn't seem like a funny joke to change its meaning for a brief purpose.

Not that I like the term to begin with. If you mean cancer, say cancer. If you mean constipation, say constipation.

Briael, in your post I was 100% sure you were referring to cancer, and I thought "what on earth, how will drinking more water, on its own, keep anyone from getting cancer? I mean I'm sure it helps but..."

>.<;;;

Sorry not trying to be acerbic. It's just way too easy to misconstrue!

Last edited by faiora; 01-09-2015 at 01:49 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #23  
oneuh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiora View Post
When did "the big C" start meaning "constipation?" It's always meant "cancer" to me, and it doesn't seem like a funny joke to change its meaning for a brief purpose.

Not that I like the term to begin with. If you mean cancer, say cancer. If you mean constipation, say constipation.

Briael, in your post I was 100% sure you were referring to cancer, and I thought "what on earth, how will drinking more water, on its own, keep anyone from getting cancer? I mean I'm sure it helps but..."

>.<;;;

Sorry not trying to be acerbic. It's just way too easy to misconstrue!
I certainly did not mean to confuse or annoy you with use of the term 'the big C' in this thread conversation.

I, not Briael, used the term first in this thread and made the connection with constipation quite clear when I did. But you will also find via Search that it has been used more than 400 times within the Ideal Protein sub forum, just in the past 12 months.

Constipation, particularly in the early days of adopting the IP protocol, can be a difficult issue, and we have repeatedly shared information with our 3FC IP participants on successful strategies for dealing with it.

The term 'the big C' was used in this manner in the IP sub forum long before Briael or I ever came to the IP community here. From a quick look at your posting history, I believe that you participate in a lot of threads on 3FC but Ideal Protein seems to be only a small percent of those. As a result you may not be familiar with many of the commonly used abbreviations and terms that characterize our Ideal Protein community on 3FC and therefore our use of the term was easy for you to misconstrue.

Last edited by oneuh2; 01-09-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #24  

Quote:
I agree regarding the pace of loss -- I lost 6 lbs the first week, but my overall average has been in the 2 to 2.5 range per week -- it worked out to 10lbs per month from July thru November. I slowed a bit to just over 7 lbs in December - stayed OP but lots of lunches and dinners out and family food occasions.

I reviewed people all over the IP forum on 3FC who began at my starting weight or close to it, and found that most showed a 10lb per month loss rate, so I believe that's a reasonable expectation based on facts.

Hi oneuh2, thanks for the great piece of advice on the big C...had a terrible time with it today...need to go get the Smooth moves thing....is that a prescription? Where do I get it...?
True, if I average a 10 pounds a month that would be great. I do have a dry mouth and dont get hungry or get headaches...so I guess the system should be doing the rest.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I second this! TMI perhaps....having a bowel movement everyday does not equal being free of constipation. In a nutshell, it's possible to pass stool but still be backed up. Interesting factoid is that your colon can store up to 10 lbs (a colo-rectal surgeon told me this). I learned this lesson after a zero weight loss, being 100% OP. Although i never had any issues at all with constipation, after the 3rd or 4th month on P1, I resorted to Smooth Moves tea until P4. Just something to keep in mind as you figure this all out.

This makes a lot of sense. Maybe worth checking in with your doctor too if cutting back on water doesn't solve the fluid retention issue you described. We are advised on IP to use plenty of salt, at least not to restrict. There is less insulin around that would normally tell your kidneys to hang on to sodium.

I'm not up to date about insulin resistance and how it is diagnosed other than darkened pigmentation in certain areas, and perhaps borderline blood glucose readings? But the premise of IP is to rest the pancreas and correct insulin resistance that is related to obesity. I think there is now different ideas as to whether IR is a cause or effect of obesity. Anyways, even people with known syndromes like PCOS are advised to do low carb. So you might be on the best-for-you plan, even though it's not as fast as you'd like. Having done many diets, I'll say it's FAST when viewed month by month. I averaged exactly 3lbs/week at age 59 for 7 months.

This is an enlightening discussion even for an IP long timer. Thanks everyone & best wishes to BlueFish!
Thanks a lot Mars!!I need all the luck....I fluctuate between feeling confident about the diet and then wondering about the outcome..I did have a bad time with constipation last two days so will take the advise of the forum members and get some products.
I think my doctor puts my in insulin resistance bracket by testing triglycerides...they have some relation with it...never had high glucose issues..i do my bloodwork every year and the tests have been normal except high triglycerides. And Less of good cholesterol.
You are right in saying that I might be on the best plan , even for any persisting issues. Thats what I was telling my husband..If I did not do this now and would have waited..god knows how much more damage I would do to my system with the high amounts of carbs we are used to. !!
Rice is my weakness, and anything fried.

I am happy to say, I do not get cravings for rice, or tea or fried items now. Thats a big one for me!!
Old 01-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancandy View Post

Thanks CanadianCandy, I am going to try 32 * 3 that is 96 ounces..that should be right for my starting weight if 188 pounds. I do hope the water retention issues get resolved, I am hoping I am one of those people where ketosis takes time to get into gear at 100 %. My coach does not seem very experienced, I found my info on this forum than from her...lets see how it goes. As long as I see the scale moving some, I am good. Meanwhile..its good to know my body is benefiting out of cutting out the carbs.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:43 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
I certainly did not mean to confuse or annoy you with use of the term 'the big C' in this thread conversation.

I, not Briael, used the term first in this thread and made the connection with constipation quite clear when I did. But you will also find via Search that it has been used more than 400 times within the Ideal Protein sub forum, just in the past 12 months.

Constipation, particularly in the early days of adopting the IP protocol, can be a difficult issue, and we have repeatedly shared information with our 3FC IP participants on successful strategies for dealing with it.

The term 'the big C' was used in this manner in the IP sub forum long before Briael or I ever came to the IP community here. From a quick look at your posting history, I believe that you participate in a lot of threads on 3FC but Ideal Protein seems to be only a small percent of those. As a result you may not be familiar with many of the commonly used abbreviations and terms that characterize our Ideal Protein community on 3FC and therefore our use of the term was easy for you to misconstrue.
Fair enough.
It's not the first term I've gotten confused about here, after all. "OP" has always meant "Original Poster" to me (IE the person who starts a thread).... but at 3fc it apparently means "On Plan" or something... which gets me every time....

Carry on.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote