3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Tips & Tricks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/301477-tips-tricks.html)

Ro22 01-06-2015 11:29 PM

zerenazerena...Completely agree with everything you wrote.

I am surprised by how easy it was to incorporate the program into my schedule especially when traveling.

And, I do exactly what you listed in the social situations.

Ro22 01-06-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

sapphire83 Everyone is different. IP coaching videos suggest an evening snack so that you don't go for a super long stretch of fasting--that can force your body to burn muscle to maintain overnight blood sugar. I'm someone who cannot sleep if I fast after dinner. My brain requires a few carbs to maintain my sleep or I'll wake up at 3 30am, and can get really cranky. But initially on IP, I did not eat after 6p and felt so liberated--evening snacking has gotten so many of us into trouble! You can play around with that snack and see what works for you.
I never thought about that so thanks for pointing that out. This hasn't affected me yet, but I could go 12-15 hours between dinner and breakfast. As I approach my goal, it is something I will now be more aware and adjust accordingly - thanks for that!

murrcat 01-07-2015 02:39 AM

I agree with a lot of what has been said so far.

Also, I started inviting friends for social occasions that are not based on eating/ drinking, and went less to ones that revolve around eating/ drinking.

I go to the grocery at least 2x per week to make sure there is always OP food in the kitchen, and plan what I buy.

I threw out everything that is not on plan.

I break up my food for how it works for me. I eat a hardboiled egg with breakfast and less protein at dinner. I always eat my snack in the afternoon--I'm hungry then, and not usually hungry in the evening. If I am hungry in the evening, I will eat cucumber slices, or I keep a packet of OP jello made in the fridge and eat one quarter or one half of it.

Avalon1957 01-07-2015 03:04 AM

My Tricks and Tips:

1. cut meals into smaller meals to eat more often. it helps prevent getting hungry or "noshy" in between meals

2. use frozen organic vegetables instead of supposedly "fresh" vegetables. not only do you never have any waste with frozen organics since they keep practically forever in your freezer. they are very convenient since you can heat up only what you are eating right then. plus frozen organics are fully vine ripened and have better taste and better nutrition value than supposedly "fresh" which is picked early (while still "green") and ripened in warehouses. i can't stand the taste of "fresh" broccoli (which stinks when you cook it) ... but frozen organic broccoli doesn't smell at all and tastes like mashed potatoes.

3. drink high quality water and get all your water in. i drink evian water. i know it's a bit pricey but better water tastes better than tap. if you hate the taste of water toss some herb tea bags in your water. I like cinnamon apple spice as it makes the water taste a little bit sweet from the cinnamon. if you can't afford high quality bottled water, get a high quality water filter for home use.

4. drink hot coffee or hot tea in between meals or late at night when you get hungry. i make coffee with a bit of cayenne pepper, saigon cinnamon, stevia, and a dash of sugar free flavored creamer. that tastes like you are having desert and kills your appetite and cravings.

5. if you like to weigh yourself every day. always weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions. I like the morning right after you get up and go to the bathroom. It really smooths out your weight loss line and prevents freakouts. 50 oz of water weighs over 7 pounds so if you weigh yourself after drinking water, your weight could be much higher.

6. when getting through those tough first few days on IP, eat some extra protein like lean chicken breast. it will keep you in keytosis, but give you that extra boost to get through those start days. After day 4, go back to the regular plan.

7. get the highest quality olive oil available for your oil addition. i love Juliet Mae Olive Oil which tastes like butter, is great on vegetables, and can be ordered online ...
http://www.julietmae.com/black-frida...gin-olive-oil/
While you are at it, get some of her to-die for Saigon Cinnamon (hot, spicy, sweet)
http://www.julietmae.com/spices/saigon-cinnamon/
Grocery store bought olive oils are mostly of very low quality.

8. go to bed early. i always find later at night is a danger period for me. better to be sleeping. always strive for between 7 to 8 hours (no more no less) studies have shown that around 7.5 hours is optimal and helps with weight loss. most people dont sleep enough.

9. take morning walks if you can. weight bearing is great and a walk is a great time to clear your head. if mornings are not possible, anytime is fine. i walk for an hour (4 miles) every morning and it gets my metabolism kick started for all day burn.

Sgrealtor1 01-07-2015 07:00 AM

6 months OP and 64 pounds in the rear view mirror....here are my tips and tricks for making this work while working 40+ hours a week, keeping a house hold running including dog, hubby and active 16 year old ice hockey player.....

1. Water is key! Get it in I don't care how LOL... First thing in the AM I fill a 32oz cup up and keep it in the kitchen for sipping.... Every time I walk by I sip..thirsty or not. The rest I get in thru the day with each meal & by 2p I usually refill that cup to finish up the 64 from that alone. The rest that you drink is extra and your not even thinking about it.....

2. If you need the extra packet, have it! Some days I am up at 4am for ice hockey practice for my son and not in bed till after 11pm... In the beginning I went to bed starving...Now I have that 4th or 5th packet whatever the case may be and I am still losing even those weeks. As a matter of fact this past week I had 3 days of 5 packets and I lost 2Lbs and 2 inches...(which is difficult this late in the game for me!)

3. It is not a plateau if you don' t lose 1 or 2 weeks....Don't get hung up on the scale number...focus on the program...It works..

4. Losing 1 pound a week is a win! Remember that! One pound lost is a loss......

5. Prep is key! Chop those veggies when you buy them. I have concocted a veggie salad that I live on. I make it and keep it in the fridge ready to grab a container and walk out the door. I use Cauliflower, cucs, peppers, pickles and what ever else will hold up. I mix it up in a big bowl and add vinegar, dill and a bit of splenda, measure out 2 cups per container then I add my oil measurement and salt measurement to each container.....I make a big batch that usually gets me 6-8 containers ready to go.

6. Totally clean out you closet and get rid of the big clothes as often as you can...Love seeing the shrinking mass of clothes I had go away LOL...replace with a few key items in your size. It is amazing what wearing pants that fit feels like....

Good luck everyone..we can do this..

sapphire83 01-07-2015 07:16 AM

Great tips and thanks for the timing question. I find that doing veggie prep so I can just grab them helps me immensely.

zerenazerena 01-07-2015 12:43 PM

More great tips from everyone!

This won't be for everyone but when I started the program, we also got our first puppy. In some ways this was insane but actually, it was awesome. He has been a great source of enjoyments, gets me out walking regularly, etc. I never knew I was such a dog person!

Ro22 01-07-2015 03:13 PM

Along the same lines, I started a home remodel in month 3 that lasted 3 months. I swear I didn't sit down for 18 hours a day as I helped with much of the work and so huge losses on the scale.

Whether it is a puppy or something like this, I think a good takeaway is to find projects, hobbies, etc vs being sedentary or focusing on what you can't have. The architect of this program talks a lot about one not having a healthy weight if not having pleasure in overall aspect of life so I think this is something important to focus on that gets neglected in the grand scheme of weight loss and such.

zerenazerena 01-07-2015 08:00 PM

"Whether it is a puppy or something like this, I think a good takeaway is to find projects, hobbies, etc vs being sedentary or focusing on what you can't have. The architect of this program talks a lot about one not having a healthy weight if not having pleasure in overall aspect of life so I think this is something important to focus on that gets neglected in the grand scheme of weight loss and such."

What you have said is totally profoundly true and important. I've enjoyed much success, then slid back, and picked myself up again. The structure of this program is there as a secure safety net. The task and the ultimate goal is not a number, it is to get out there and enjoy a healthier and longer life whatever that means for each of us.

Thank you for reminding us of this!

I love this place!

linda.lou 01-07-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 (Post 5113587)
6 months OP and 64 pounds in the rear view mirror....here are my tips and tricks for making this work while working 40+ hours a week, keeping a house hold running including dog, hubby and active 16 year old ice hockey player.....

1. Water is key! Get it in I don't care how LOL... First thing in the AM I fill a 32oz cup up and keep it in the kitchen for sipping.... Every time I walk by I sip..thirsty or not. The rest I get in thru the day with each meal & by 2p I usually refill that cup to finish up the 64 from that alone. The rest that you drink is extra and your not even thinking about it.....

2. If you need the extra packet, have it! Some days I am up at 4am for ice hockey practice for my son and not in bed till after 11pm... In the beginning I went to bed starving...Now I have that 4th or 5th packet whatever the case may be and I am still losing even those weeks. As a matter of fact this past week I had 3 days of 5 packets and I lost 2Lbs and 2 inches...(which is difficult this late in the game for me!)

3. It is not a plateau if you don' t lose 1 or 2 weeks....Don't get hung up on the scale number...focus on the program...It works..

4. Losing 1 pound a week is a win! Remember that! One pound lost is a loss......

5. Prep is key! Chop those veggies when you buy them. I have concocted a veggie salad that I live on. I make it and keep it in the fridge ready to grab a container and walk out the door. I use Cauliflower, cucs, peppers, pickles and what ever else will hold up. I mix it up in a big bowl and add vinegar, dill and a bit of splenda, measure out 2 cups per container then I add my oil measurement and salt measurement to each container.....I make a big batch that usually gets me 6-8 containers ready to go.

6. Totally clean out you closet and get rid of the big clothes as often as you can...Love seeing the shrinking mass of clothes I had go away LOL...replace with a few key items in your size. It is amazing what wearing pants that fit feels like....

Good luck everyone..we can do this..

Thank you for posting this! I am starting just about where you started and have approximately the same weight goal as you, so this is really helpful and inspiring to read at the beginning of my journey! :thanks:

Ro22 01-07-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linda.lou (Post 5114091)
Thank you for posting this! I am starting just about where you started and have approximately the same weight goal as you, so this is really helpful and inspiring to read at the beginning of my journey! :thanks:

Hi Linda - I am in same boat too in regards to start/loss desired. I started at 231.5 (5'8") and this is the last week of my 5th month. I have lost 60 pounds. I am using body fat % as my weight goal so I don't have a specific goal yet, but I think it will be 150's given where I am at. I should say that even though I am 172, I fit into a size 10 in many slacks/jeans - I have never fit into a size 10 in my adult life (even though my lowest weight ever was 9 pounds less than where I am at now). I thought I would share that hoping that is further inspiration. Good luck to you!

Stanski 01-10-2015 10:34 PM

This is what worked for me: Romane lettuce greens when I needed a snack.
1. if I was hungry I'd have a cup of hot tea with stevia, or later in P1, when I felt more secure, coffee with skim milk with stevia.
2. water, water, and more water.....amazing it takes the edge off...and as I hate the taste of water (taste like licking a rock) so I would put a couple of "sweet water" lemon drops, drops into the water, and it takes that nasty taste away.
3. I've always loved veggies, so this is an ideal diet for me. Eat more veggies, they are great!!!!!!
4. I eat chicken, chicken and more chicken, some beef (oh I do love a good steak), turkey, and pork chops. Fish doesn't sit well with me, tofu is creapy...so I guess it's chicken, turkey and beef with no sauces. Works for me.
5. As a former sugar-a-holic, 4 months of going without it to loose 35 lbs....I no longer crave sugar, but I know if I go to dunkin donuts and get my favorite boston crème filled donut, I am sunk, cause there is no turning back...and in no time I'm 35 lbs fatter. uuuuuugggg

Ted Sheckler 01-11-2015 07:09 AM

Follow the program, it is smarter than you are.

mars735 01-11-2015 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler (Post 5115805)
Follow the program, it is smarter than you are.

Words to live by, lol!

SweetRelease713 01-11-2015 10:16 AM

Make it simple. I have a smoothie recipe I use for breakfast every day. I pack a Ziploc bag with all my smoothie ingredients (usually I make a few of these at a time). I have Nutribullet at work. It is a lifesaver. I also make my soups in it in the afternoon then heat them up in the microwave.

I have a default thing I take now to potlucks: a shrimp ring. It is something that I can put on the table, I don't have to cook it, and it doesn't look chintzy of "diety" IMHO. I usually don't eat anything at a potluck including the shrimp ring, and I still get questions no matter what I do (arrive late so I get there after everyone has eaten etc.) I've decided it doesn't matter. People don't mean to pressure me or derail me. They are just curious. You may ask why I go to potlucks in the first place, especially since I end up going to about one a week. My Bridge club, my work, as well as some other circles of friends, this is common practice. It's a bonding thing. I would have no social life (and I am divorced without kids and my immediate family lives thousands of miles away) if I couldn't figure out how to handle potlucks or restaurants.

The meal I put real effort into is my dinner. I take time to enjoy it. I think collecting recipes and trying new ones each week is motivating and fun. I have found these forums to be very helpful when it comes to that. :grouphug::stir: