Old 12-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #1  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Default Sugar free water additives and ketosis

I've had a very slow week's weight loss since last Tuesday and am expecting a lb loss only (if that) at tomorrow's WI. As I track my food daily I know that I have had nothing that would push me out of ketosis, but I have all the symptoms of being OUT of it - hungry every couple of hours, craving sweet things, muscle fatigue after just walking, longer recovery times after the gym, not peeing frequently and no keto-breath.

The ONLY thing that's different in this week is that I found a water additive (black tea raspberry) that I absolutely love and have been using it in all my glasses of water besides the morning pill one.

I decided to go searching and see if it was just my perception or an actual issue. Apparently it is quite common for people drinking diet pepsi, diet cola and water additives containing citric acid and some of the sugar alcohols (anything that ends "ol") to be booted out of ketosis. It wasn't until I started researching citric acid that I thought about why this would be. In the good old days citric acid came from fruit. Now, it's extracted from a black mould that grows on .. wait for it ... yes, you guessed it .. the inevitable corn crop that is also responsible for HFCS. Besides being a corn byproduct, it's also acidic in nature, and ketosis is more effective with foods that are in the alkaline state. The additives are also relatively high in sodium, which we all know aids water retention unless sufficient is imbibed to flush it out.

Now I know, I can get back on track - I've hated watching the scale hover in the same lb all week. Just wanted to share this in case there are others who have had slower losses and who may also have believed that the water enhancers that say they are carb and sugar free are effective on the IP protocol. Each one of us has unique biology but I doubt I am the only one who has seen a marked difference in ketosis/ lack of ketosis with the only variant being water additives.

Here's an article for anyone interested in the acid/alkaline issue:-

Acid Base and You and
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #2  
10/19/14 P1

S/C/G: 296.5/215.6/199>

Height: 5'8.5" -- 53 yr

I don't anything about the science. I haven't had any issues, but I try to keep it between 16 and 24 ounces, and absolutely no more than 32 ounces per day. Don't know that it makes much difference, my coach suggests limited use and only of Mio (since it does not contain aspartame).

Don't get discouraged -- as you know, pounds may be minimal but inches can be up.
Permission2Succeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:36 AM   #3  

When I started IP, it was petty common for everyone to limit water enhancers and WF dressings Etc to 5 per day, combined. Water is really supposed to be only water. Sweet additives still tell the brain you're consuming something sweet.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #4  
Reboot 11 June 2018

It was more the issue of getting water in for me. I do not get thirsty .. ever. Even after walking 5 miles I never want to drink. Anything that encouraged me to drink was a good thing, but now I know that it can't be the additives.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Try a bit of lime juice in your water Briael... It gives it a bit of flavour and yet it doesn't do the sweet trick thing to your body.
I take it the mould we are talking about is NOT huitlacoche??
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_553422.html
That stuff is GOOD!

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #6  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Try a bit of lime juice in your water Briael... It gives it a bit of flavour and yet it doesn't do the sweet trick thing to your body.
I take it the mould we are talking about is NOT huitlacoche??
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_553422.html
That stuff is GOOD!

Liana
I used to just toss a slice of lemon in, because I use the real lime lime juice in my salad dressing and didn't want to overload on acidic foods.

The mould is not huitlacoche, no. Here's the link I referenced.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Regardless of what the IP litature tells you one does not lose fat because they are or are not in ketosis. You can be in ketosis and gain fat. This isn't up for debate and it's not a matter of opinion. It's science.

While anything is possible it's most likely that this is a simple case of water retention which may or may not be affected by the addition of an artificial sweetener.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #8  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Regardless of what the IP litature tells you one does not lose fat because they are or are not in ketosis. You can be in ketosis and gain fat. This isn't up for debate and it's not a matter of opinion. It's science.

While anything is possible it's most likely that this is a simple case of water retention which may or may not be affected by the addition of an artificial sweetener.
Trying to figure out where in the IP literature it ever said that you have to be in ketosis to lose fat. Nothing in the literature I got suggests that.

Briael - you might want to try non-sweet water enhancers. Cucumber slices work well or strong brewing decaf flavored tea and adding a bit to your water is good. I found two things adding Mio to my water - 1) it made me crave sweets and 2) it really tore my stomach up (I have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux).
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Trying to figure out where in the IP literature it ever said that you have to be in ketosis to lose fat. Nothing in the literature I got suggests that.
Briael seems to be convinced that her slowing loss has everything to do with ketosis. I wonder where she got this idea?

My theory is the IP education. There is a very strong implication from all the IP literature and videos I have seen that ketosis is necessary to lose fat which is why so many IP dieters on this board have been concerned about remaining in ketosis. You are probably correct though that they do not actually say it is a requirement to lose fat.

Regardless, the most likely explanation here is that Briael is just going through the normal ebb and flow of weight loss which for most people is not linear due to water retention. Would you agree with this or do you think there is another more likely way to explain it? (Assuming Briael is on program.)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #10  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I certainly agree that Briael's issue is probably water retention - especially since she noted that the additive she is using is high in sodium. Cutting the additive should help with that. And some of it is probably just the normal fluctuations of weight loss.

I didn't read her post as her being convinced her slowing loss was due to being out of ketosis - she acknowledged that the additive had high sodium. I read her concern was she was out of ketosis due to her cravings, lack of ketosis symptoms, etc. Without knowing what the nutritional stats and ingredients in the additive are it's hard to say whether it was enough to bring her carbs high enough to be out of ketosis (although I highly doubt it unless she was using A LOT of it).

I've been on this board a long time and I don't think many people on this board think ketosis is necessary for losing fat. The few that have expressed that idea have quickly been corrected. Ketosis is a great tool in adhering to IP guidelines, it's not magic.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #11  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I didn't read her post as her being convinced her slowing loss was due to being out of ketosis - she acknowledged that the additive had high sodium. I read her concern was she was out of ketosis due to her cravings, lack of ketosis symptoms, etc.

I've been on this board a long time and I don't think many people on this board think ketosis is necessary for losing fat. The few that have expressed that idea have quickly been corrected. Ketosis is a great tool in adhering to IP guidelines, it's not magic.
Great points, thank you for making them. I suppose I am still stuck in the paradigm of when I first started posting in this section. The idea that caloric deficit was the mechanism of loss (and not ketosis) was met with a lot of resistance.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #12  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

JohnP, you always post such thought provoking things. Since it sounds like you have some insight into this dieting thing ... what do you consider to be the keys to losing fat/weight? Just a pure calories in / calories out budget? Exercise? Thanks for your insight.

I never got those ketosis sticks ... so I have no idea about that. All I know is I am eating a lot fewer calories than I am burning and that seems to be working.

What's interesting to me is the most effective diet I was ever on (i.e. the one I lost the most weight on) was a "Macaroni and Cheese and Chocolate Chip Cookie Diet" where I lost over 100 pounds, where I limited myself to 1200 calories a day eating only Mac and Cheese and ChocChipCookies. I guess that goes to show that (for me at least) a pure calorie budget diet does work. Although I do have to admit that I did NOT maintain those losses when I stopped that calorie restriction. So maybe I can't say that much about the ultimate effectiveness of that sort of diet.

I think the Ideal Protein diet is a lot healthier and actually a bit easier to stick to (for me at least). Once I get past the first 3-4 days, IP is a breeze -- as I lose all cravings for carbs and feel like I am eating constantly.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 12-20-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
JohnP, you always post such thought provoking things. Since it sounds like you have some insight into this dieting thing ... what do you consider to be the keys to losing fat/weight? Just a pure calories in / calories out budget? Exercise? Thanks for your insight.
There is a difference between the biological/chemical mechanism and the keys to losing fat/weight.

Calories in/out will determine if one loses or gains fat but that is merely how everyone's body works and doesn't mean that calorie counting will work for everyone especially long term.

The real key in my opinion is finding a way of eating or WOE that one can stick to forever that limits caloric intake. There are a number of ways one might accomplish this. For example Phase 4 with the IP diet has the don't mix carbs and fats in a meal and follow a cheat day with a phase 1 day. Low carb is another popular solution. I've found intermittent fasting and being calorie aware is a solution I can live with quite easily.