Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

For Briael from yesterday's daily chat:

quote "Thanks Liana .. I was thinking about post-IP stage 4 maintenance, rather than while maintaining out of IP. The bigger picture is a long way off yet, but doing the research now will let me learn the pitfalls and advantages of each of the types of meal plans that I like the look of.

Primal is more the ancestral diet of in season produce - although there is controversy over the "modern" (hahaha introduced deviations of original grains over the last 2000 years - it amuses me greatly!) types of grain being regarded as acceptable. Maybe a hybrid of the two."
unquote

Actually it isn't necessary to change after P4, Briael, lol. That's why it's called maintenance. P4 is eating 'normal food', just not too much of it and not mixing higher carbs with higher fats in the same meal... simple as that.
Primal is probably fine for someone living in Texas, California, or Florida, but I sure don't want to eat a la 1800's in the winter where I live, with the only 'fresh' local veggies being fermented cabbage (sauerkraut), carrots, parsnips, turnips, potatoes, and rutabagas, lol. I'm trying to stick to more organic veg, fruit, and meats, and raw unroasted nuts and natural & raw yogourts & cheeses like Lisa, but that's kind of like how I ate before IP anyhow, just for general health reasons. I'm fine with the old ways of selective breeding for plants that have characteristics we want as that has been the way since man first planted food crops. What I'm not fine with is splicing genes from other organisms into plants we use for food (GMO's).

Hope you find a way that works for you.
Liana
Old 11-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 186/178/160

Height: 5'6"

Hello IP peeps,
Happy (post) Thanksgiving. So, I have not been on plan for about a week. You know, I could feel it coming on, one little cheat, adds to another then total blow out! I tell you, this sugar thing is so " addictive", like once you have it, it takes over. That may sound a little extreme but sometimes it feels that way. Anyway, have my Beck Diet Solution book, so starting again today. Thanks for reading
Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 222/195/165

Height: 5'7"

I learned a big lesson yesterday, first let me say that I allowed myself one plate of Thanksgiving dinner, which consisted of 5oz of turkey, 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes and ......here's where I went a bit overboard, 1 very full cup of (my mothers recipe) stuffing. Also a couple Tbsp of gravy. Now for the lesson, I would say about 20mins after eating, I started to get that ugg feeling of fullness...that only got worse. I started saying, I can't wait until tomorrow when I'm back on IP so I feel better. I caught myself thinking it and then said it out loud to my husband. Is this the same person who the day before was wondering if I could keep eating this way until my goal? Yes, and I had a a very different outlook and a very new and different, more honest appreciation for IP. The controls that are put in place are sensible and make sense for my body and my digestion. I have only had one day on IP in 60 days since I started that I have been uncomfortable and had a stomach ache it was the one and only time I have cheated, yesterday. Eyes open!! I am glad I had that meal yesterday, it was my wake up call and my reminder and is a lesson I will never forget. I was having stomach aches and bloating every day of my life and was physically miserable before starting IP, now I know how to never have that happen again.

Last edited by liuba; 11-28-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 186/163/133

Height: 5'4"

I am wondering what you all think of the WI machine that some coaches use to check body fat, lean mass, and hydration. I had my WI this week and was only down 1 pound, but I had just started my . so that might be why. Anyhow, the fancy scale thing showed that my body fat had gone up a teeny tiny bit. I actually found that rather discouraging as I am sticking to the plan 100% and thought that even if I hadn't lost weight, my body fat should be going down.
My coach wants me to pay extra to have this - $20/month or $5 each time if I don't want to do it every time. It seems really important to her, but I feel like she struggles to understand it and what it shows. She couldn't really explain the hydration part to me. For example, I am +1.05 - does that mean I am retaining water or just well hydrated? At what point is it showing water retention? Anyhow, what are the rest of you doing with this fancy gadget? Is it really necessary?
Also, she is just learning and I find the info she gives me sometimes contradicts itself. At my first visit, she told me I could separate the 8oz. of protein into 2oz at lunch and 6 at supper. At my first WI, she told me it would be better if I used the 2oz. as an afternoon snack. So the second week, I would often have a 2oz. piece of fat free ham for a snack. But, at my second WI, she told me I would be better to have an egg and probably shouldn't have ham. Anyhow, it is somewhat confusing as ham is on the list of foods I can have.
I guess I would just love to hear from those of you with more experience as I feel like my coach is just learning and I am not always confident in the information she gives.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #20  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky2012 View Post

Question, I've got group on FaceBook that I'm following and everyone there seems to think you can throw your body out of Ketosis with one meal/day of non-OP. If it takes a few days to get in Ketosis, shouldn't it take a few days to get out of Ketosis?
I follow a bodybuilder site that advises on losing body fat percentages for competition. I came across this excellent breakdown of how it works:-

Quote:
glycogen is stored in your liver and muscles (men have a bigger reserve then women). there is an order to energy metabolism, glycogen (or glucose) > carbs > fat > protein. you actually use up your glycogen storage fairly quick but as you eat throughout the day, it's storage gets replenished.

after a few days of not eating (and depletion of carbohydrate reserves) your body starts to break down fat in order to get the necessary building blocks for ATP (acetyl groups which gets converted into Acetyl Co Enzyme A) the problem with this is the release of ketone acids (aka ketoacidosis, which is a problem with low carb diets). your body actually starts to break down fats earlier due to the glucose sparing effect. the nervous system and brain prefer glucose as their main source of energy and your body will shift its energy consumption around to reserve all glucose for the brain. Briael's Edit: It's actually ketosis, rather than the Type 1 diabetic issue ketoacidosis

after 3-4 days of starvation and the depletion of carbs/fat reserves, the body will get energy via non carb/fat sources via gluconeogenesis. primary source is through protein degradation breakdown down the polypeptide bonds to amino acid components. the amino acids are broken down in the liver and kidneys into pyruvate and enter the citric acid cycle.

carbs of made from polysaccharides, aka sugar building blocks
protein is made from polypeptides, aka amino acid building blocks
fat is made from triglyceride and free fatty acids
During the day you may wander in and out of ketosis if you are having an actual sugar (some alternatives have fructose and sucrose as ingredients, and these push an insulin response which does affect ketosis). I've seen it quoted that if you go over 50 net carbs then you will leave ketosis and start reburning carbs as the primary fuel source. Whether this is accurate for women, for body weight or specifically for (relatively) low body fat percentage body builders wasn't clear, but it's a number that I aim to stay well below, as I don't know my personal carb tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post
Good morning all. Tried a few searches but could not find a clear answer. Figured one of you knows this for sure: What are the best IP appropriate pre-made chicken or vegetable broths to use on P1? I see various "fat-free" and "low sodium," but not really totally carb-free. Would be grateful for any suggestions -- gonna be a soup-makin' weekend! (After I brave the malls with my college daughter, that is )
I like Swanson's fat free low sodium chicken broth. Here is a link to the FatSecret Nutritional Information page. Also 1 carb per serving, as per the one recommended by Scorbett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post

Actually it isn't necessary to change after P4, Briael, lol. That's why it's called maintenance. P4 is eating 'normal food', just not too much of it and not mixing higher carbs with higher fats in the same meal... simple as that.

Liana
I'm toying with a hybrid diet that keeps carbs very much on a backburner. I've read a lot of sites that recommend a modified Atkins/not dissimilar IP, but pushing the healthy and natural fats higher to compensate. From the research notes I've actually read this doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the body, as the triglyceride levels become stable as the body is still primarily in a fat burning state, although it's dietary rather than stored body fat. Other than my love of baked potatoes and oatmeal, that is.

Thanks for the heads up, Liana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuba View Post
I learned a big lesson yesterday ... I was having stomach aches and bloating every day of my life and was physically miserable before starting IP, now I know how to never have that happen again.
Isn't it amazing how quickly our bodies adapt and become happy in ketosis? I couldn't believe the difference in my quality of life once the bloating, nausea and mood swings left it. I know that I don't ever want to go back to constant indigestion and gas.

Glad you're back on plan today, Liuba, and I hope your system is happy again by the end of the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstimeinbc View Post
I am wondering what you all think of the WI machine that some coaches use to check body fat, lean mass, and hydration. I had my WI this week and was only down 1 pound, but I had just started my . so that might be why. Anyhow, the fancy scale thing showed that my body fat had gone up a teeny tiny bit. I actually found that rather discouraging as I am sticking to the plan 100% and thought that even if I hadn't lost weight, my body fat should be going down.
My coach wants me to pay extra to have this - $20/month or $5 each time if I don't want to do it every time. It seems really important to her, but I feel like she struggles to understand it and what it shows. She couldn't really explain the hydration part to me. For example, I am +1.05 - does that mean I am retaining water or just well hydrated? At what point is it showing water retention? Anyhow, what are the rest of you doing with this fancy gadget? Is it really necessary?
Also, she is just learning and I find the info she gives me sometimes contradicts itself. At my first visit, she told me I could separate the 8oz. of protein into 2oz at lunch and 6 at supper. At my first WI, she told me it would be better if I used the 2oz. as an afternoon snack. So the second week, I would often have a 2oz. piece of fat free ham for a snack. But, at my second WI, she told me I would be better to have an egg and probably shouldn't have ham. Anyhow, it is somewhat confusing as ham is on the list of foods I can have.
I guess I would just love to hear from those of you with more experience as I feel like my coach is just learning and I am not always confident in the information she gives.
Thanks
I can see where her information conflicts and may be confusing you. Protein is protein, but some proteins contain more sodium - either naturally or as part of the cooking and packaging process. If you buy deli ham or chicken then it is very high sodium content (acts as a preservative) and will affect your body quite strongly, even if you drink a lot more water than normal. Many of us get that bloated feeling after a lot of sodium, so try to restrict it, or at least be aware of how much sodium you are taking in.

Very often hubby and I split our 8 oz protein between two meals. Sometimes we just crave a nice omelet at lunch time (1 whole egg, 2 or 3 whites to replace a packet) with the 2c veggies. Sometimes you are going to be busy and carrying a hardboiled egg will be more convenient than worrying about getting water to make up a packet. If you're going to be on IP for any length of time you have to find ways to make it work around your lifestyle - not try to bend your life to fit IP. The reason I say 2 or 3 egg-whites is that we often make pancakes out of the drinks/pudding packets for supper, and we use an egg white in those, so if you do that, modify how much you use at lunchtime.

As for paying to use a body composition analysis machine - buy a $20 scale from Walmart that does the same thing and do it yourself. As you get closer to goal, it may be worth paying for it, but you don't have a lot of weight to lose and it seems like a money making exercise for the clinic involved.
--

My body has been out of sync with itself this week, after last weekend's 9 hour drive across the wilds of west Texas. Even though I managed to get my meals and water in, the trip still took its toll and I finally started seeing the number edge down on the scale this morning.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving with loved ones, and let's be VERY good until the New Year.

Last edited by Briael; 11-28-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

For what it is worth, I would not pay extra for that scale. My clinic includes this as part of my weekly visit but I wouldn't pay extra for it. This diet is expensive enough IMO.

I like Briael's suggestion on purchasing your own if you really want to know each week.

Last edited by CenTXChk; 11-28-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #22  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

My clinic didn't have that scale. I had one at home that told me water and fat. Not sure if the numbers are right but they were all relative for me. I went from a 50+ fat to 24.

I would have up to 3 egg whites without even counting it towards my protein but not perfectly measuring my protein was what kept me from saying I was 100%
Old 11-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/181/150

Default I got the same wakeup call

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuba View Post
I learned a big lesson yesterday, first let me say that I allowed myself one plate of Thanksgiving dinner, which consisted of 5oz of turkey, 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes and ......here's where I went a bit overboard, 1 very full cup of (my mothers recipe) stuffing. Also a couple Tbsp of gravy. Now for the lesson, I would say about 20mins after eating, I started to get that ugg feeling of fullness...that only got worse. I started saying, I can't wait until tomorrow when I'm back on IP so I feel better. I caught myself thinking it and then said it out loud to my husband. Is this the same person who the day before was wondering if I could keep eating this way until my goal? Yes, and I had a a very different outlook and a very new and different, more honest appreciation for IP. The controls that are put in place are sensible and make sense for my body and my digestion. I have only had one day on IP in 60 days since I started that I have been uncomfortable and had a stomach ache it was the one and only time I have cheated, yesterday. Eyes open!! I am glad I had that meal yesterday, it was my wake up call and my reminder and is a lesson I will never forget. I was having stomach aches and bloating every day of my life and was physically miserable before starting IP, now I know how to never have that happen again.
Thanks for reassuring me that I was not alone with my Thanksgiving splurge. I had a major tums moment & asked my self "why" I ate so much. First time since Sept that I deviated from plan in an uncomfortable manner. Learning experience & back on plan today.
Liuba, does our clinic have a new coach. I have missed 2 sessions and was thinking about not going back.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky2012 View Post
Good Morning IP Peeps!

Question, I've got group on FaceBook that I'm following and everyone there seems to think you can throw your body out of Ketosis with one meal/day of non-OP. If it takes a few days to get in Ketosis, shouldn't it take a few days to get out of Ketosis?
Nope. If I have a day with more than 30 carbs I am out of Ketosis and I get a huge stall.

There is a thread about the real cost of cheating. It will keep you from cheating for sure.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #25  

That scan is included in my weekly visits too. I really don't understand the hydration aspect. I have never been lower than 4.something. Last week I jumped up to 24.something, then 7. Something this week. I have been told my body is still detoxing and that I am retaining water. I drink over the recommended amount of water so I'm not sure what's going on.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:13 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I wouldn't worry about doing the Body Composition Analysis. Like the others have said, just buy a scale that does the same thing from Walmart/Amazon and realize that it is all relative - it will not be an accurate number, BUT it will track your trends which is helpful. My coach (new) asked me last time if I wanted to do BCA and I said yes to give her practice, after which she admonished me because I was 'dehydrated'. I didn't tell her that I don't drink my usual 5 glasses of water (by that time of the morning) just before my weigh in, lol. So not really dehydrated after all. Not doing it again though, since I have always had my own BF, H20, Bone Density weigh scale and use it to track my trends.

RE: maintenance carbs & fats grams
Briael: I eat between 100-150 net carb grams a day (in addition I am always below MFP recommended sugars - 1/2 to 2/3rds - and 90% of the time hit or exceed my fibre recommendations) and my fats are usually 70-100 grams (not counting my exercise calories - when I do more and MFP makes higher recommendations, I up my fat & protein grams and go to the higher end for my net carbs). Maybe this will help your hunt for a food plan for maintenance that will work for you.

Liana
Closed Thread