Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Those pesky HIPS!!!!

Why don't they shrink a little faster!!! I went down to our bookstore today to buy a coat and I optimistically grabbed the XL (usually I get a XXL) because of my hips. The XL was HUGE up top, long in the arms, looked ridiculous! So I put on the L, I couldn't get it zipped unless I pulled it up over my hips. DANG!!!! I went ahead and bought it anyway KNOWING it WILL, IT WILL fit comfortably in a few weeks, right?! I am seriously two different sizes and it drives me crazy! Just get it together lower half!!!

Strangely enough, I'm nervous about my purchase, I don't remember the last time I bought anything in a large, I literally feel anxious!
BStr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #2  
Started IP 1/30/14

S/C/G: 281/173/165

Height: 5'5"

I feel your pain! I am certain all of my extra weight is in my hips. I worry sometimes about how small the rest of me is going to get if I lose much more weight, but I am sure the weight in my hips is just going to hang on!

I am sure the jacket will fit well soon enough. I've done that in the past 9 months, too, and all of those clothes fit now (or are too big!).
Peppertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

BStr: I smiled when I read your post. Totally been there.

First of all - Congrats on your weight loss so far!! I have found with myself and other clients that your "problem area" is the last one to release. I have always been a hips/thigh girl. Waist and chest is always smaller. Of course, on my 18 weeks on IP boobs and waist shrunk much faster in proportion to my hips and thighs.

Good news, it all caught up. Fit into skinny jeans and look good. I have realized though, that I will never have very thin legs… that's ok. We have to accept our shapes. Some "apple shaped" women in my center, have lost tons of weight, look amazing - but still don't have very defined waists. Just the way your body composition is.

It's very exciting and a bit stressful, to buy a few sizes smaller than you're accustomed to. Embrace the excitement though! Your mind has to catch up with your new size. it takes time… Congrats on breaking thru to a new lower size!!!

Pam
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

A lot depends on the cut of the garment, some are meant for boyish figures and some have more defined waists. I could never fit properly in a shift dress even if it had fairly aggressive darting. My waist has always been very much smaller than my chest & hips and I've always looked my best in a fit & flare shape. Perhaps you are the same. You could try looking for more of a trench style, rather than a reefer or peacoat. A belted silhouette especially with double breasted styling will help balance the proportions.
Here's a cute example - and if you can afford it, buy it in an interesting colour you like. Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #5  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStr13 View Post
Why don't they shrink a little faster!!! I went down to our bookstore today to buy a coat and I optimistically grabbed the XL (usually I get a XXL) because of my hips. The XL was HUGE up top, long in the arms, looked ridiculous! So I put on the L, I couldn't get it zipped unless I pulled it up over my hips. DANG!!!! I went ahead and bought it anyway KNOWING it WILL, IT WILL fit comfortably in a few weeks, right?! I am seriously two different sizes and it drives me crazy! Just get it together lower half!!!

Strangely enough, I'm nervous about my purchase, I don't remember the last time I bought anything in a large, I literally feel anxious!
You will, trust me. I'm into week 11, 40lbs down and I've lost 4.5 inches from my "hips" (I measure around the love handles and butt at the widest point), and I am very pearshaped! It goes, but it's not the first place you lose.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #6  
Started IP August 28 2014

S/C/G: 265/215/140

Height: 5'7''

I was just thinking the same thing today! My hips are ALWAYS the last to go!
Snozzeberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Liana love that coat! So cute and perfect for me shape wise. I too have not lost much in the hips, or chest for that matter, but waist is down almost 10 inches.....that coat would look amazing!
Sgrealtor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

I've always had this problem. Even when I'm skinny I am pear shaped (skinny me S/M top, L bottom, heavier me L top, XL bottom but horribly XL arms which are sticking around as I lose I have a smallish torso huge bottom and icky arms. Luckily it's long sleeve weather)
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/117/120

Height: 5' 2"

This post comes at the perfect time.

I am about to move to P2 and was looking in the mirror and thought maybe I should stay on P1 a little longer and maybe I could lose a few more inches in my hips. Odds are that is not where I would lose the inches. Hips are very stubborn!!

I then realized I have to accept my body shape as is I am at a good body weight for my height and want to ensure I can maintain what I have achieved.
AllMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I was thinking afterward, if you don't mind being a bit stand-outish (more noticeable in a good way), Sgrealtor1 & BStr13 (and other shapely gals), it's also helpful to have interesting details up top, like a built in mini cape or gunflap (the old original hunting/war trenchcoats had these for a purpose) or hood or wide flounced collar.

Examples:

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #11  

I am rebooting now, but believe me, they will all even out. I was shocked at how small my hips became when I got close to goal. Now that I have gained some back, the hips are back.
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Liana ~ That last one reminded me that I have a cute belted coat somewhere in this house LOL... I think I Put it in a basement closet when I couldn't belt it anymore LOL...need to find it. Your selection is so cute! Has me inspired.

I also need to find my long puffy coat that is super warm that I bought a few years ago for hockey watching. My son is in the HS hockey team and the first practice is tonight....need to find my parka for the games LOL.. Especially the January outdoor games. Man its cold for those....
Sgrealtor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
Liana ~ That last one reminded me that I have a cute belted coat somewhere in this house LOL... I think I Put it in a basement closet when I couldn't belt it anymore LOL...need to find it. Your selection is so cute! Has me inspired.

I also need to find my long puffy coat that is super warm that I bought a few years ago for hockey watching. My son is in the HS hockey team and the first practice is tonight....need to find my parka for the games LOL.. Especially the January outdoor games. Man its cold for those....
Another option that have come out recently are the "swing" coats or any jackets with am empire waist. I suspect my winter coat that I bought 2 years ago will be too big for me but again even smaller I have to go for this style to get it button over my bottom half.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 293/275/180

Had a similar experience this weekend. I bought the lower size coat even though I could not quite zip it because of hips/tummy area. I like being pear shaped but my bottom needs to catch up with my top half!
hopeful199 is offline   Reply With Quote