Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #136  

Height: 5'2

pishposh - I used the Couch to 5k app and then the 5-10k app this summer. It was awesome! There's a lot of days I didn't want to go out because of the weather and it's only going to get worse now that the snow is flying. You'll feel great once you get it done
Old 11-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Hello ladies,

Why couldn't it be this sunny and lovely at 8 this morning? Finished in 2:03 which means we met our B goal which is great. We were finishing at a good sprint but got got stopped before crossing. A man who arrived 15 min before us went down needed CPR defib and paramedics took him to hospt. It all happened in front of my kids. Just found out he is still alive thankfully. My poor daughter thinks running now us dangerous.

Pishposh - sounds like you have some shopping to do. Start your run on a less windy day and then you will enjoy it more and keep going. Do you have any paths in your area?

Feariciulli - congratulations on your great loses.

Eve - enjoy your cut and colour. Nice self care.

Ruth Ann - always good to hear from you and sounds like a great bday with dh
Old 11-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 278.3 / 156.5 / 180

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the welcome!

Question ... for about the last month, my losses have been primarily lean mass. My fat mass has been hovering at about 35%. My sensei thinks I need to up my protein, and I am going to ask my coach about it tomorrow (I asked last week, but we didn't reach any conclusions.) TOM is also almost a month late (I can absolutely guarantee that I am not pregnant), and I suspect the two problems may be related. Anybody have any advice as I head into maintenance?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 265/154/165

Height: 5' 8"

Jenny 38 - congrats on your half marathon! Glad the fellow was ok. Yikes! Didn't you feel amazing at the end?

I just ran my first half marathon last Sunday. Wow, what a high!

I'm going to keep up my regular runs (10-13k 3x/week, 16-18k 1x/week) while I decide whether to train for the full marathon. Just wondering if you are planning to do one was well. Maybe we could compare notes on nutrition - I found it really difficult to strike the right balance of carbs and cals for all the running I've been doing. A lot of hit and miss and I'm not sure what the right numbers will be if I'm boosting my training.

And HELLO to all of you other maintainers. I rarely post - and this is my first time on your thread - but I've been reading this one since before I even officially started IP. I hope you know how your successes inspire so many people.

Last edited by JenJen444; 11-02-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #140  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearciuil View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Question ... for about the last month, my losses have been primarily lean mass. My fat mass has been hovering at about 35%. My sensei thinks I need to up my protein, and I am going to ask my coach about it tomorrow (I asked last week, but we didn't reach any conclusions.) TOM is also almost a month late (I can absolutely guarantee that I am not pregnant), and I suspect the two problems may be related. Anybody have any advice as I head into maintenance?
I'm not sure how old you are. I hadn't had my TOM for 3 months before I started IP, then I had it 3 times in 2 months. It has now been 6+ months without. Had my blood work done and it appears I am almost in full menopause. I didn't have any symptoms while on IP and burning fat because I still had some hormones. Now two weeks in maintenance and I'm getting hot flashes.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Morning

Hi Jenjen- congrats on your first 1/2 and being on maintanance I don't think I have the full marathon ambition in me plus I don't think the joints could take it after all the years of extra weight. Which 1/2 did you do? I've signed up for Around the bay relay in Hamilton for end of March 15km. Training on IP was tricky I find it easier now but still need to do some work. I'm not having a regular period and only 39 so I think the running and gym may be part of the reason.

Chip - I meant to ask what sports. Your boys do? Having the two boys do competitive sports must keep you busy. I would imagine you have to prep a lot of food in advance.

Got an update that the runner died in hospital last night. What a horrible loss for his family.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #142  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Good morning all: it's been a while and I miss knowing what you are all doing while maintaining. I've regrettably found the "too much" line. Between moving back to nyc with more dining/drinking out and a vacation in Prague and Munich (Oktoberfest) where beer flowed like water and veggies were hard to find ... I'm up more than my comfort zone. Time to get back in the right mindset before the Holidays and the (what used to be) comfort-food cold weather sets in.
I'd like to find a clinic here too - would like to have a few packets/bars on hand for the P1 days or in my case now more than a day. I'd been trying other bars but feeling like they taste over sweet and the sugar alcohols ... Not so fun for the tummy.
I maintained well for the first couple of months here so I know I can do it. Just have to re-train the brain again
Hope you're all well. Glad to see all your inspiring stories.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #143  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Good morning! I envy all you runners - wish I could run but ortho surgeon nixed that idea when he did the fusion on my lower spine. Boo! Wonder if now that I've lost weight it would make a difference. I'll have to ask him next month when I go in for my 2 year check up.

vachinyc - good to see you! Good job on catching the up pounds before they become a lot more!

Fearciuil - Depending on how your coach is measuring (my guess is the fancy scale) the number could be all wrong. Remember, lean mass includes anything that isn't fat so blood, organs, connective tissue, water, etc., etc. Are you doing any exercise? I'm a little skeptical of the 35% fat number, but i could be wrong. It just seems awfully high for your weight.

enJen444 - Welcome and congrats!

I know I missed a bunch of stuff back there but I've been reading along and have missed you guys! Going to have to make it a priority to stop in no matter what.

Today is 6 months I've been maintaining and this mornings' weigh in showed me right on target. I'm amazed. I'm actually 1/2 a pound less than my lowest weight.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 265/154/165

Height: 5' 8"

Jenny38 - how awful about that other runner! Yikes. There was a really good article on the CBC website this summer about how and why this can happen to people 40+ who take up endurance sports. I'm one of those people, so when I ran my half I followed their advice on making sure I cool down, etc. Here's a link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...thms-1.2731798

The half I ran was a fundraiser in Calgary called Spank the Panc (for pancreatic cancer.) The training did wonky things to my period as well. It's now usually late by a week or more, after always having been perfectly regular. Your bay relay sounds like a lot of fun. I'm debating signing up for another 1/2 in February. But running on ice scares the crap out of me.

Ruth Ann - thanks for the welcome and congratulations on your sixth month anniversary! I often read the What You Eating Maintainers thread and am envious of those small portions of ice cream you occasionally have. I discovered a few months back that I just cannot have ice cream in my house. Ever. NO portion control for me on that!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #145  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Good Monday morning gorgeous Maintainers!!!!!!

It's a cold start, but we are getting a temporary reprieve. Sounds like winter's hitting early for lots of you, though!

I got my hair cut yesterday in asymmetrical bob (shorter in back, longer in front....so probably won't look too different in pics). I may go shorter all around next time, but this was a good in-between cut. I also did a subtle change in hair color so that it didn't look so reddish. I'm olive skinned....and I tend to look a little green in the winter (ugh), so any brown with a little red looks REALLY red on me). Anyway, liking the change!

I'm am definitely feeling the absence of my 45 lbs of insulation and am FREEZING as the temps are getting colder. Old Navy had a sale yesterday online with free shipping (in the states) plus 30% off....so I stocked up on some fleece hoodies and such for the winter.

Doing my P1 day today.....confession: I've been doing more like 1.5 free days over the weekend the past few weeks. Usually that means a higher fat/higher carb treat or meal on Saturday and then a true free day on Sunday followed by a P1 day on Monday. My weight has been not only maintaining, but still lowering slightly, so I feel my body is doing well with this. But I am guarded as I know that we tend to make excuses and justifications for ourselves when we bend the rules. Feel free to give me words of wisdom here!!!!

Congrats all you runner-mega-superstars!!!!!! I am in constant awe!!!!!!!!

Big hugs, Liana! I know you are having an especially rough time right now! Our unconscious mind can really compel us to do things out of the ordinary, can it not? The best battle against that is to take some time to really process what you are trying to feed....whether you write it our here or for yourself, or talk about it with a friend or even a therapist. You are a fighter, so I know you will find balance and food peace again!

Love to see all the diverse faces around here!

Take care all!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #146  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Jenny, that's awful! I hope your daughter is ok and understands that this is a rare thing. Feel so bad for the man's family!

Congrats on 6 months Ruth Ann! You're inspiring!

Evemomma, I am already pondering my free days and am worried I will attempt to extend them. I'm excellent at justifying anything, it's bad. I read in the Life After thread that someone extended their free days through the whole weekend by eating sensible lunches and breakfasts and considered Fri-Sat after 3 pm their "free time." Not sure whether that would work out for me. My first P4 week will be Thanksgiving week, so Thanksgiving day would likely be my free day, but we are going to Williamsburg that Friday-Sunday to see the Christmas decorations and things and it'd be nice to have some flexibility there. We'll see I guess.

I am officially hating P2. My scale showed me up to 164.5 this morning. I'm trying not to put a lot of stock into it as I ate later than normal yesterday and have also been feeling like I'm coming down with something, but here I thought P2 would be one big woosh, instead I'm maintaining and feeling really flubby and bloated. At least I'm still under my goal I guess, but I'm nervous about adding in the carbs in P3 and whether that will bloat me up more.

How did everyone choose their "scream weights"? I was thinking mine would be 165 if I got a few pounds under but it looks like it might have to be 167-168.

Last edited by pishposhappelsauce; 11-03-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Good morning everyone;

Lots of posts lately so its great! I am now in P3 and have lost 7lbs on my reboot which I'm happy with. Pishposh; my scream weight is now 165lbs, I feel good at anything below that. I picked it as to how my clothes were fitting and how I was feeling. I start back to maintenance on Wednesday and am looking forward to my exercise schedule again.

Tomorrow will be exactly one year of starting IP, I can't believe its been a year and I weigh so much less and feel so much better than a year ago. I'm so glad that my sister introduced this plan to me and also this support group! So, thanks everyone! Have a great week!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #148  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Happy Anniversary Hawaii!!!!! Hoooray for a great year of losing!

PishPosh, what you described is also what I have read and basically have done. This Saturday, I had an egg white/spinach omelet for breakfast, a P1 type salad for lunch (carbs only from veggies, no fat), but then I had two pieces of Pizza Hut veggie-lovers pizza for dinner. Was still within my calories, but "broke" the carb/fat rule for dinner. On Sunday, I had a P3 type breakfast, just snacked for lunch on some Babybel Cheese and veggies and then had a wonderful Steak House dinner.

As far was my "scream" weight....mine has changed as I've continued to lose weight in maintenance. My point of no return is 135....which was my original goal. Currently, I cycle to a low of 125 and have not gone higher than 128 in several weeks. So, 129 would be my "sit up and listen" weight right now. That may change if I find this weight too hard to maintain.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 278.3 / 156.5 / 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
I'm not sure how old you are. I hadn't had my TOM for 3 months before I started IP, then I had it 3 times in 2 months. It has now been 6+ months without. Had my blood work done and it appears I am almost in full menopause. I didn't have any symptoms while on IP and burning fat because I still had some hormones. Now two weeks in maintenance and I'm getting hot flashes.
I'm 35. I should still be getting my monthly visitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Fearciuil - Depending on how your coach is measuring (my guess is the fancy scale) the number could be all wrong. Remember, lean mass includes anything that isn't fat so blood, organs, connective tissue, water, etc., etc. Are you doing any exercise? I'm a little skeptical of the 35% fat number, but i could be wrong. It just seems awfully high for your weight.
My coach uses the fancy-schmancy hand-held thingamabob that connects to the computer to measure body composition. It has put me at around 35% body fat for the last few weeks; even today (just had my FINAL OFFICIAL WI!!! ) I was at 34.93% body fat. My cheap-a** Walgreens body-comp scale has put me at a pretty stable 30-31% body fat over the same period, so I think the body fat %age not budging is legit. It's frustrating, because I don't know what else to do about it. I take Kosho Ryu Kempo classes for 90 minutes twice a week and try to practice at least 20 minutes the other days; I got my bike back out and rode both Saturday and Sunday.

As a note, I was down another 2.3 lbs today with the final WI, so I can stand to cautiously play with my food intake. Coach agrees with Sensei that I should be eating more protein, and Coach wants me to keep going with either EAS shakes or IP foods to do that.

RuthAnn, congrats on your six-month anniversary!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #150  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Fearciuil- congratulations on your final weigh in! Welcome to maintenance.

Ruth Ann- 6 months of maintaining! A job well done

Hawaii, Happy 1 year Thinaversary!

Pishposh, don't panic, things have a way of even-ing out when you cycle through the phases.

Eve, this weekend, I did a 1.5 too. For me, I think that I will make it the exception. I also notice that higher fat meals do not have much of an effect on my scale, but add so carbs and boom- I am up 2 pounds.

Vachinyc- have you tried ordering from Nashua for phase 1 products? How often have you been weighing in?

Jenny, so sorry about the runner Such a traumatic experience.

Jenjen, welcome to the board and congratulations on your health successes.

Chip, sorry to hear about your hot flashes. I struggle right now with being freezing cold.

Last edited by Slipfree; 11-03-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Closed Thread