Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #16  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Happy Wednesday!!!!!!!

First of all, welcome back Schedectay!!!!! I am so happy to hear that your son is recovering from what seemed like a very frightening ordeal! You can do this! Now is the time to just turn your brain back off and go into auto-pilot with P1!

Lisa....Hooray for the re-start! Praying your thyroid is a good little gland and cooperates!

Ommamma....hopefully you won't have any thyroid problems. I have Hashimotos (mild case), but with only 35 lbs to lose my thyroid has been fine on the diet. The longer you are on it, the more stressed it would get. You don't have a lot to lose....you should be fine!

OK.....so I had my 2 week weigh-in today and was SOOOOO nervous. But I STILL lost these past two weeks and am now 2 lbs from my goal weight. Yahoo!!!!!!! I am now averaging about 1.5 lbs down each week, which I'll take since it means I'll be at goal weight (hopefully) in the next two weeks!

My coach originally left it up to me as to whether I would start phasing off or not. I told her I was completely on the fence, so she suggested I stay on for another two weeks since I'm so close and still having losses. That way, she said, if I keep losing weight in P2/P3 it will give me more cushion room as I move into P4. That sounded good to me, so now I am heading into my last two weeks on P1!

I was feeling burnt out earlier this week but now feeling rejuvinated by seeing that my goal is a realistic one! I am so VERY grateful for the support I have gotten here!

We are having my son's birthday party this weekend (a little early since his birthday falls during the first week of school), and I have gotten to the point of looking forward to making his birthday cake even though I won't be eating any of it. I started IP the week of my daughter's birthday party and decided just to buy her a cake because I couldn't stand the idea of smelling a cake baking in the house. However, I am STILL not making my "famous buttercream" icing for my son's cake. Just tooooooooo tempting! He'll have to deal with store bought.

Take care everyone!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #17  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena1966 View Post
By the way.... I have read lots about hair loss on here but maybe I missed it but I haven't heard WHY people lose hair on this diet. Anyone want to fill me in?
Here's the official "blurb" a coach gave someone in the Hair Loss thread. If you want me to bump it up so you can read 5 pages of comments I can, but this is the important part I think

Temporary Hair LossWhile this temporary condition only occurs in a relatively small percentage females, it can be very traumatic if the woman does not understand what is happening here. Any sudden change in certain hormone levels can "stun" the hair follicle (these are very sensitive to hormones) and sort of sends it into a period of 'hibernation'. This temporary state of 'dormancy' may last up to nine months but, more often than not, usually resolves within six months. Moreover it only affects the hairs that are in the Telogen Phase (or final stage) of the hair growth cycle and are in the process of eventually falling out. The new hair shaft that will replace the old hair is temporarily thwarted in its development. This phenomenon is known as 'Telogen Effluvium' and is TOTALLY REVERSIBLE (unlike male pattern baldness, known as 'Androgenic Alopecia', which is permanent). The latter condition also has a hormonal cause: high levels of the testosterone metabolite DHT (dihydrotestosterone) which actually 'kills' the hair follicle. The condition of Telogen Effluvium may also occur during pregnancy or more commonly at post-partum. Again during pregnancy and right after delivery, the mother's hormonal balance changes significantly. This is why OB/GYNs employing the Ideal Protein Protocol in the practices never get concerned about this..it is relatively common in obstetrics. There is good news for the 'new mothers' and the Ideal Protein dieters experiencing this condition. Your new hair will be thicker, shinier and healthier when it comes in. Why? Hair is made of protein, primarily keratin. During pregnancy much of the mother's nutrition is used to "make a baby grow' so there might not be enough protein to keep the rest of her body in optimal repair. Similarly many of our dieters have had poor eating habits, commonly too many carbohydrates and not enough protein. Now with the adequate amount of these nutrients, she will not only love her 'new figure' but will also see positive changes in her hair, skin, and nails! Finally, Dr. Tran developed this diet over 20 years ago, If we caused women to lose their hair we would have not remained in business all of these years!

Last edited by IP43; 07-30-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #18  
Diane on track July 2014

I love summer because I get to sleep in, which means a late breakfast... and I love IP. When else would having S&V chips for breakfast be completely OP!

I'm on day 3 with you Lisa. Now to go fill up that water jug and start chuggin'...
Old 07-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #19  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/5/2017 232./204/150

[QUOTE=kissi;5048606]Good Morning All!! I so look forward to my vanilla RTD mixed with coffee in the mornings. I drink it after I get to work so I'm up for a couple hours, park at my parking garage (a mile away from my office), walk to the office, get settled and make it. It's soooo good!

Kissi!!! You and I are on the same morning wavelength except for the flavor choice - I used vanilla the first time, and then found that cappuccino added to my morning coffee is my favorite. But I get up and out with water and supplements, drive to park several blocks from my bus stop, and when I get downtown, I swing by Starbucks for a grande pike place roast on my way walking from the bus to the office. Then mix up my IP special coffee and enjoy it with a water chaser as I get my workday started. By this time it's about 9AM and I am so ready for it!

Before IP, I would look forward to a different ritual every morning -- same routine but I'd get the classic oatmeal at Starbucks along with my coffee. Of course, I would add probably a couple ounces of half and half to the coffee.... and I would load the oatmeal with the 3 packets of dried fruit, nuts and brown sugar... a breakfast of heavy duty carbs (esp sugar) and fat, virtually protein deficient. Now I look forward to my IP special coffee just as much, and feel good knowing that I have fueled my body well!

I am looking forward to WI tomorrow - my coach was away for a long weekend (so no Monday WI for me) and today is day 9 since my last weigh in - I am really ready for the numbers - my midsection definitely feels less voluminous so I am hoping for notable inches to report back to you all.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #20  
Started IP 6/12/14

S/C/G: 192/138.6/132

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post

Kissi!!! You and I are on the same morning wavelength except for the flavor choice - I used vanilla the first time, and then found that cappuccino added to my morning coffee is my favorite. But I get up and out with water and supplements, drive to park several blocks from my bus stop, and when I get downtown, I swing by Starbucks for a grande pike place roast on my way walking from the bus to the office. Then mix up my IP special coffee and enjoy it with a water chaser as I get my workday started. By this time it's about 9AM and I am so ready for it!

Before IP, I would look forward to a different ritual every morning -- same routine but I'd get the classic oatmeal at Starbucks along with my coffee. Of course, I would add probably a couple ounces of half and half to the coffee.... and I would load the oatmeal with the 3 packets of dried fruit, nuts and brown sugar... a breakfast of heavy duty carbs (esp sugar) and fat, virtually protein deficient. Now I look forward to my IP special coffee just as much, and feel good knowing that I have fueled my body well!

I am looking forward to WI tomorrow - my coach was away for a long weekend (so no Monday WI for me) and today is day 9 since my last weigh in - I am really ready for the numbers - my midsection definitely feels less voluminous so I am hoping for notable inches to report back to you all.
I like cappuccino on its own but mixed with coffee is toooo coffee tasting for me. That RTD+Coffee is such a morning treat though - Don't talk to me until I get that put together!!! LOL.

I'm nervous about my WI this week. I feel bloated and the girls are swollen because TOM is right around the corner. I'll be happy with any loss this week!!! Keep us posted on your WI, 9 days without one you should see a big woosh with the numbers and inches!!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #21  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/5/2017 232./204/150

How ironic... as I am sitting here perusing 3FC, the news on TV is highlighting the winners of Extreme Eating Awards... burger and fries at Red Robin clocking in at more than 3000 calories... and announcing that today is National Cheesecake Day! Gotta laugh at how I know that I am OP and will not be anywhere close to either one of these newsmakers!

I have to say, though, that I was interested to hear that the Extreme Eating Awards is done by the Center for Science in the Public Interest -- I subscribe to their publication called Nutrition Action -- always very informative, and filled with product evaluations relative to good nutrition guidelines. I like how CSPI keeps the manipulative food industry practices in the spotlight, revealing their underpinnings, and I like their information that helps folks like me fight sugar addiction. This month had a very good article about symptoms and lab results that point to pre-diabetes -- I had full blood work done in February and my results put me too close for comfort. This is more evidence that getting onto IP could not have been more timely for me.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #22  
Diane on track July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissi View Post
...I'm nervous about my WI this week. I feel bloated and the girls are swollen because TOM is right around the corner. I'll be happy with any loss this week!!! Keep us posted on your WI, 9 days without one you should see a big woosh with the numbers and inches!!
I am always interested about this kind of posting. Why are you nervous? If you are that aware of your body, and know that it may not be a great week for TOM then that's a NSV to me. You won't feel disappointed and you know a big whoosh is not far away for you either
Old 07-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 168.8/136.4./130

Height: 5'2''

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Re: Thyroid
It isn't just IP that can cause thyroid problems. It is any very low calorie diet but expecially very low carb. Most people rebound quicker than I did.

The body naturally lowers metabolism in response to less fuel. This is a function of the thyroid.

Re: Ketosis
Those strips don't work for everyone & after a while on IP may not work at all b/c the body gets very efficient at processing the ketones and no longer excretes them in urine.

There are lots of ketosis symptoms. Google for a list. Not everyone gets each one.

And even if you don't reach ketosis for some strange reason, you'll still lose weight on such a low cal diet.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As I said in my first post, we don't need to micromanage it. We don't need to weigh daily to see how many oz we lost or monitor ketosis. This is the stuff that drives dieters crazy. Just follow the sheet. It works. Any delays are usually short-lived. A true stall would be 4-6 weeks of no changes on scale or measuring tape, while following the plan 100%
Thank you. I will take a deep breath and carry on!

Last edited by ommamma; 07-30-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #24  
Started IP 6/12/14

S/C/G: 192/138.6/132

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I am always interested about this kind of posting. Why are you nervous? If you are that aware of your body, and know that it may not be a great week for TOM then that's a NSV to me. You won't feel disappointed and you know a big whoosh is not far away for you either
I'm ALWAYS nervous about many, many things. WIs especially. I know I'm following the plan 100% and I should see the results in numbers and inches and I have been. The first thing I do when I walk in to my coach's office is get that WI out of the way.

I honestly don't know where the mentality comes from, I guess it's like I expect the worst and get pleasantly surprised when the worst gets exceeded. I went in last week really feeling like I would have a bigger loss since I had been noticing and others had been noticing and I was only down 1 lb and got a little discouraged because I was SO close to 20 lbs total lost. It's just a little mental game I play with myself, I guess.

I had this same conversation with my Mom earlier today. I'm not expecting the scale to move much this week as it didn't last week either, but after TOM the whoosh better be whooshing!!

Last edited by kissi; 07-30-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 192.7/183/140

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Re: Thyroid
It isn't just IP that can cause thyroid problems. It is any very low calorie diet but expecially very low carb. Most people rebound quicker than I did.

The body naturally lowers metabolism in response to less fuel. This is a function of the thyroid.

Re: Ketosis
Those strips don't work for everyone & after a while on IP may not work at all b/c the body gets very efficient at processing the ketones and no longer excretes them in urine.

There are lots of ketosis symptoms. Google for a list. Not everyone gets each one.

And even if you don't reach ketosis for some strange reason, you'll still lose weight on such a low cal diet.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As I said in my first post, we don't need to micromanage it. We don't need to weigh daily to see how many oz we lost or monitor ketosis. This is the stuff that drives dieters crazy. Just follow the sheet. It works. Any delays are usually short-lived. A true stall would be 4-6 weeks of no changes on scale or measuring tape, while following the plan 100%

Hi Lisa- Do you have any input on what may be considered "long term use" of IP? This is my first go round with low carb so I don't feel like I am at risk but I am just curious. Thanks for the great inspiration everyone on this board is awesome!!

Last edited by OperationSkinny; 07-30-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #26  
Diane on track July 2014

Quote:
How ironic... as I am sitting here perusing 3FC, the news on TV is highlighting the winners of Extreme Eating Awards... burger and fries at Red Robin clocking in at more than 3000 calories... ...

I have to say, though, that I was interested to hear that the Extreme Eating Awards is done by the Center for Science in the Public Interest
Those two statements seem like they don't go -- was the Extreme Eating Awards a "tongue in cheek" one where the Centre is actually pointing out how awfully we are eating, or was it a legit contest (like those awful who can eat a million hotdogs in 5 minutes ones?)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #27  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
How ironic... as I am sitting here perusing 3FC, the news on TV is highlighting the winners of Extreme Eating Awards... burger and fries at Red Robin clocking in at more than 3000 calories... and announcing that today is National Cheesecake Day! Gotta laugh at how I know that I am OP and will not be anywhere close to either one of these newsmakers!

I have to say, though, that I was interested to hear that the Extreme Eating Awards is done by the Center for Science in the Public Interest -- I subscribe to their publication called Nutrition Action -- always very informative, and filled with product evaluations relative to good nutrition guidelines. I like how CSPI keeps the manipulative food industry practices in the spotlight, revealing their underpinnings, and I like their information that helps folks like me fight sugar addiction. This month had a very good article about symptoms and lab results that point to pre-diabetes -- I had full blood work done in February and my results put me too close for comfort. This is more evidence that getting onto IP could not have been more timely for me.
I haven't noticed how much the office has food brought in until doing IP. Seems like the occasions I need to go in it's something or another day... food related. All of us sitting at desks all day long - and carbs brought to us. Some of the team has candy on their desk for all. Even taking requests for what to stock in the dish. I'm so glad I work from home mostly.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #28  

Lisa, you are so supportive to everyone and I have learned so much from you. Good luck with your restart. I hope your health continues to improve.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Bumps, bruises, scrapes

I noted this in the response from IP43 on hair loss:

During pregnancy much of the mother's nutrition is used to "make a baby grow' so there might not be enough protein to keep the rest of her body in optimal repair.

I wonder if this affects others as it has me. No, I'm not pregnant, but I have noticed that when I get a bump, bruise or scrape, it takes so much longer to heal than it used to. Maybe just as a pregnant person, there isn't enough protein for the body to heal as quickly as it used to. I got sunburned on my feet when I went to the beach in June and some parts are still red. It's so odd. Has anyone else noticed this?

Lisa: Wishing you best of luck on your restart. You are such a wealth of information on these boards and I really appreciate you.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Happy Wednesday

Schnectady - I read yesterday that your son is doing better, so happy for him and your family. What a horrible thing to go thru.

Lisa- Sounds like you have re started no problem which is great. I hope that you get the results that you want and your thyroid is working better. You have done such an awesome job losing 90lbs and then maintaining for many many months. Hope your back is feeling better soon.

Evemomma - congratulations on being so close to your goal!

I don't know what is going with me, if it is diet fatigue or my fear of success or what. Clearly i need more therapy! I feel i am so close to my goal that I can "edit" my plan and go off and then be anoyed that I didn't lose weight. I think that I am afraid of leaving phase 1 so perhaps am acting out to stay on it??? Either way time to kick self in butt and get back on plan. I think I will need to do the extra week of phase 1 and don't think starting phase 2 on holiday will be the best choice anyway. I will talk to my coack friday and see.
Closed Thread