Old 08-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #46  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Canadjineh: Interesting that you were thin until the 40s. You know what it is like to be a thin person..which is different from others here ..such as myself.
I am a harissa fan and like the idea of sprinkling it on hard boiled eggs. I also eat hummuus and don't have a problem with gain. That is a great idea of taking the casbah dried package on trips. How is your night job going?

Slipfree. There definitely could be that hormonal element affecting women. Interesting that your mom became more vocal. I have definitely become more vocal about standing up for health as I age.

Today was not a good scale day. I am eating very low carb! I know it has to do with the Indian curry last night.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Maile, I wish you an easy low carb day and a happier scale tomorrow.

My thoughts about the hormone levels: less estrogen may = less need to please. My Dad has very strong opinions. For many years, my mom held her own opinions rather than having conflict. After her 50s, she no longer felt the need to temper her voice. Now, that is not to say that she did not have an equal control of the family -but her approach changed as she aged.

For myself, I am not sure if it is hormones or the fact that I do not have sugar to blunt my feelings. My tolerance is much less than before. I know that I will have to work on the impatience that I am feeling. Meditation may be helpful because I have heard that my incoming class is challenging.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #48  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I always thought my current intolerance and less need to please were attributable to getting older and getting wiser - never thought it could be hormones but that makes sense. I have less tolerance for people doing/saying really stupid things and so much less worry about what other people think. I wonder if part of that is that I feel more confident in my own abilities after shedding 125 pounds? My physical therapist told me the other day (after I complained that it was taking oh so long to get my muscles back in shape) that I could push through and do it. He said "anyone with enough determination to lose all that weight can do anything they put their mind to." Made me think.

Had a very hectic, stressful weekend and it showed in my eating big time. Surprisingly the scale actually went down a pound but it's very low carb for me for a few days. I wasn't in a position I could head for my go to stress reliever - taking a nice long walk. Feel back in control today but it's slightly unnerving to know I still can go off the deep-end that way.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Maybe it's not so much less estrogen as it is a higher ratio of testosterone to estrogen, yes we all have it, just that men have more, lol. That's how come we sprout chin hairs when we are older,

Work is going crazy here as we have a new contract for a construction site ($10,000 worth of tools was stolen before they decided they needed security on the open site, DUH!) and two of our guys are leaving - one for police school and another on 6 months travel. I am working 6 days a week and seeing my DH between 4 and 7:30 pm and that's about it... He gets more stuff done when I'm not around, heheheh, just to keep himself busy. Yard work, mowing, kitchen cleanup, little fix-it projects, etc. But we are missing each other a little.
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Interesting topics on here. I agree with the hormonal changes as I definately feel that they contribute to my moods and my hunger level. This week is a 'not hungry' week and am taking advantage of it and am happy to see the number on the scale. My weight has been up and down since I was in my late 20's and I have to admit that I did find it much harder once I hit my 40's but IP was just what I needed to get the weight off and focus on my health. At this age, its more about how I feel than what others think thats for sure. And Ruth Ann, I relate about being scared about going off the 'deep end' some days with food. But, now I know how to get back to where its more shallow!! hee hee Maintenance has its good and bad days but I'm working hard at balance.
Hawaii69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #51  

Ruth Ann, sorry that you felt like you waded in the deep end. I think that your response to that feeling says it all- a few low carb days. You've got this! I agree with Hawaii, we are working to find a balance. I definitely have my hard days, but thankfully, every day is a new day.

Liana, hope things ease up for you soon. Positive side, your Honey Do list will be done.

Last edited by Slipfree; 08-11-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #52  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Liana - when your dh finishes his "to do" list could you send him my way for a few days? I have a small list that needs finishing since my dh is almost done with the "kill list" (which is what we call the Do This Before I Kill You List).

Hawaii & Slipfree - Yep, going off the deep end is not a pleasant feeling and I don't like the feeling of being out of control. That's not to say I don't enjoy eating well and working some occasional foods (that I don't eat often) into my regular eating. But the eating without boundaries just for the sake of eating lessens my enjoyment of the food and, to tell you the truth, for me going off the deep end means eating stuff I don't even really like just because I can.

Maile thank you for that article. I've read it a couple of times, so many good observations in there!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #53  

Ruth Ann, you cracked me up with your "kill list"! I think that the urge to go off the deep end on foods (even IP bars) will always be with me during stressful times. As back to school approaches, I am noticing the urge to eat late at night, (I do not sleep very well) it is pure emotional cravings because I am not "really" hungry. I win and lose this battle with myself, that is when I feel out of control.

For example, nuts have to stay in the car for an on the go snack, if they are in the house- I want to eat them all!! I do not even love nuts

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and that we are working to change the habits of a lifetime. I think we are doing a pretty good job so far
Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Must have been the weekend to go off the deep end. For me I am bored which equated to eating. I ate really clean yesterday and the puff was gone today, but it is so easy to slip back isn't it?
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #55  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Slipfree - thanks! I agree, we are doing a pretty good job of figuring things out (with the help of everyone here!). I count every day I'm still in my range as a victory!

drd - boredom is also my enemy. I try hard to avoid it, but sometimes it happens. I get that "there's a gazillion things I should be doing and I don't feel like doing any of them" feeling. How's your hip doing?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #56  

Things are going pretty well except for ITB band is flaring a bit so had to back off on walking and work on strengthening more. ITB syndrome can be pesky when the leg is not traumatized from surgery, but this is the third day of step down and it is improving. Hopefully the doctor will approve swimming soon. I also will be approved for half time work next week as well so that will give me more to do. Daytime TV is horrible.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #57  

drd: I too have ITB issues. I am VERY flexible and so I can't even stretch them out without help. I need to lay along the edge of a firm table, drop my straight top leg behind me off the edge, and have someone gently push it into a deeper angle. Needless to say, I don't get to stretch it that often, lol. At least a foam roller helps massage out some of the soreness, which I'm sure is made worse by Fibromyalgia.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #58  

With a new hip, I cannot do any of the traditional stretches for ITB because of the possibility of dislocation. So DH is rolling it with a rolling pin with it dropped over the edge and the PT taped it with compression tape. This is not normal for this leg, so part of it is to be patient with the healing. The ITB is directly over where they go in to replace the hip so pretty sure they mangled it up and stomped on it in the operating room.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
With a new hip, I cannot do any of the traditional stretches for ITB because of the possibility of dislocation. So DH is rolling it with a rolling pin with it dropped over the edge and the PT taped it with compression tape. This is not normal for this leg, so part of it is to be patient with the healing. The ITB is directly over where they go in to replace the hip so pretty sure they mangled it up and stomped on it in the operating room.
You better believe you don't want to see a video of what goes on in the operating room for orthopaedic surgery, lol! It's amazing we can move when they are done! They have to yard the band out of the way and hold it back while they do the joint. Try a firm foam roller instead of a rolling pin - if it's uncomfortable.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #60  

The rolling pin is ok. I also got on the internet and looked at self massage for the ITB. Really it is probably that I walked too much before the hip was ready and with the ITB already being quite irritated with surgery, I am paying for it. 3 days of reducing the walking has already made a difference. Just need to get the supporting hip muscles stronger.

I did not walk much before the surgery because it is just too painful. My cardio was lots of swimming and aerobic tapes, mostly step on a 4 inch step because my hips could not handle it. I also do not walk properly after years of gimping along, so now I have to retrain and strengthen new muscles. It all takes time sigh.