Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #151  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemum View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. What is frustrating is that I have been in this spot before, and I have given up every time. I lose 40-50 lb, and then stop losing. I don't want to give up this time, but it is so hard to stick with it while I am getting nothing back for my efforts.

My doctor has suggested going off plan and doing a low carb/ high fat plan for a week to see if I can restart my losses. He says that the higher fat, calories, and protein will probably kick me back into weightloss mode, while keeping me in ketosis. I really don't want to go off IP, but if I don't start losing again in a few weeks, I may have to take his suggestion.

For this week, I am going to try adding some extra fat, and maybe a 4th packet. I know I'll get through it. I'm just struggling with my inner fat kid who is saying "you should have had dessert, since you weren't going to lose weight this week anyway!"
Stick with me! Don't give up!
And please know that even following that advise from the doc could take longer than a week. Mainstream doctors have very little nutrition education.

In the meantime, spend some time learning more about ketogenic diets. An increase of protein would not be part of it. Fat, yes.

Based on your weight, a fourth packet (pick the 80cal ones) may also help
Old 08-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 228/198/165

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
mainemum Heck, post on all the threads and I'll give you a pep talk on all of them!
*this* is why I love this forum.
You all seriously rock.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 258/165/143

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Ariel - the eating out thing can be a great skill building exercise. I am amazed at how comfortable I am now at restaurants asking questions and asking for things the way I need them. Rarely has this ever been an issue with the waiters. I make sure the tip reflects their support!
So true, this Sunday I went out to eat with my mom, and I had no problem asking the waitress how to prepare my meal, and they did! Just like you mentioned, I was more comfortable asking! I've been 100% OP and my first WI will be this Wednesday!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #154  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajoyus View Post
*this* is why I love this forum.
You all seriously rock.
This made me smile - thank you! The strength we get from each other here was just astounding to me when I first started and it has only gotten better. I am constantly amazed at the willingness of people here to lend their support, knowledge and humor to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel13 View Post
So true, this Sunday I went out to eat with my mom, and I had no problem asking the waitress how to prepare my meal, and they did! Just like you mentioned, I was more comfortable asking! I've been 100% OP and my first WI will be this Wednesday!
Congrats on navigating dining out! It gets easier the more you do it. I have found most restaurants more than willing to modify things for me with no issues.

Good luck on your first weigh in!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #155  
Started IP 04/22/2013

You guys will get a laugh out of this - I went to get my mammogram today (missed a couple of years there, bad me) and after the tech gets me ready she comes back in and wants to verify my name, date of birth, etc. Since she had my chart & studies from the last one I thought it was odd.

Then she asks me "did you lose a cr*pton of weight?" She seriously thought she had the wrong patient when she looked at the old studies and then at me! Made my day although I had never had anyone ask me the question in quite those words before.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

RuthAnn, that is awesome!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
You guys will get a laugh out of this - I went to get my mammogram today (missed a couple of years there, bad me) and after the tech gets me ready she comes back in and wants to verify my name, date of birth, etc. Since she had my chart & studies from the last one I thought it was odd.

Then she asks me "did you lose a cr*pton of weight?" She seriously thought she had the wrong patient when she looked at the old studies and then at me! Made my day although I had never had anyone ask me the question in quite those words before.
I am laughing, Ruth Ann, because the same thing happened to me! Only I did not catch onto what was going on. The tech looked confused and asked if I had lost weight. Apparently there was a WHOLE LOT less on top than before, so much, like Ruth Ann, the thought was she had the wrong films!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #158  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

RuthAnn that is priceless!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #159  

Quote:
How wonderful despite her less than delicate way of putting it.

Guess she wouldn't have said it that way if you'd gained the weight .
Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #160  
Started IP 4/19/14

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Stick with me! Don't give up!
And please know that even following that advise from the doc could take longer than a week. Mainstream doctors have very little nutrition education.

In the meantime, spend some time learning more about ketogenic diets. An increase of protein would not be part of it. Fat, yes.

Based on your weight, a fourth packet (pick the 80cal ones) may also help

Oops, I should have been more clear. He wants a temporary increase in fat and calories to stop starvation mode, and a small increase in protein because he thinks that I am losing too much muscle mass. He wants me to continue keeping carbs limited, because his experience is that ketogenic diets are better for limiting hunger. (I have to agree with him there, because ketogenic diets are the only ones that I don't suffer constant hunger.)

Overall, I trust his judgement. His background is in sports medicine and nutrition. His partner specializes in metabolic disorders and thyroid conditions. Between the two of them, I have struck a gold mine!

I am going to add a fourth packet (Raspberry Jelly) and increase my oil to two tablespoons daily. In two weeks, I will see how it is working. If I am still stuck (no ounces, no inches), then I will consider making some of the changes that my doctor suggests, at least on a short term basis.

Quote:

Love it! I had a nurse panic, thinking that the office scale was broken. She had me step on, and off, and back on about six times. Finally she asked if I had lost a "crazy lot" of weight. Turns out I had lost 28 pounds since my last visit just a few weeks prior!

Last edited by mainemum; 08-20-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #161  
Started IP 04/22/2013

I'm glad you guys liked the story - it still makes me giggle!

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan mainemum. I'm not a big believer of the "starvation mode" theory the way it is commonly used but it sounds like your doctor has more training in nutrition than most.

And too funny on the broken scales!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 258/165/143

Height: 5'3"

Quote:

Ruth Ann that's is awesome! I can only imagine how overjoyed you felt! Great work pays off!

mainemum- Hahaha! That's funny, I can picture her face, thinking the scale was broken! I bet that was a great feeling!

Last edited by Ariel13; 08-20-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #163  
started IP 7/23/14

S/C/G: 264.4/161.4/164

Height: 5'3''

As a relative newbie, I am loving these humorous stories. The thought that something similar might happen to me - way down the line - is very motivating.

I have been mostly 100% for a little more than a month and it has not been nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

I do have a question for you experienced 100%ers.

I start every day by putting my day's worth of supplements, olive oil and salt into little glass bowls. This makes it easier for me to track where I am and if I have gotten it all in by the end of the day. Occasionally I have eaten the left over salt straight with some water at the end of the day. I can't figure out what to do when I have some olive oil left. It is usually when I use half on my salad for lunch and save some to cook dinner in, then the plan changes and I end up not cooking and having a shake or pudding for dinner. I have a bit of an aversion to olive oil to begin with, so just eating it straight won't work. Anyone have suggestions for how to get that oil in?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser58 View Post
I can't figure out what to do when I have some olive oil left. It is usually when I use half on my salad for lunch and save some to cook dinner in, then the plan changes and I end up not cooking and having a shake or pudding for dinner. I have a bit of an aversion to olive oil to begin with, so just eating it straight won't work. Anyone have suggestions for how to get that oil in?
Start by making sure you are buying very good quality extra virgin olive oil. It should be in dark glass (not clear or in a can - can cause it to turn & go rancid) Buy only a little at a time and if you need to, keep it in the fridge to keep it fresh. It will slightly thicken/solidify, so just take it out & set it on the counter for 1/2 an hour before you need it - but this isn't vital.
I can recommend olive oil tasty enough to drink (I use my finger on the outside of the bottle to catch drips after I pour and lick it off - it's that good) http://saporioilsandvinegars.com/
They ship... not cheap but you will never go back to that grocery store crap.

You can add a bit of lime or lemon juice and dip cuke slices in the remaining amount to finish it off (it sounds like you don't quite make the allotment for veggies either??)

Liana
Old 08-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #165  
started IP 7/23/14

S/C/G: 264.4/161.4/164

Height: 5'3''

Thanks, Liana.

I do get the veg in - always have celery on hand and if I get to the end of the day and haven't hit 4 cups, i eat celery for a bedtime snack (what a difference a month makes - for years ice cream was my regular bedtime snack). I just never wanted to dip the celery in plain olive oil. There is a store in town that sells all kinds of fancy oils, i should splurge on some high quality olive oil and see if I can do it "straight up".

Are lemon and lime juice OP as long as you are using small amounts?
Closed Thread